World’s most over rated guitar player

Is anti vaccine moron Eric Clapton. I like Cream, but other than that I never really got Clapton. But then again, I never thought blues guitar was that hard, and Clapton always seemed polished and presentable but dumb as a box of rocks. And now, if Facebook is killing people then Eric Clapton is definitely killing people.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eric-clapton-not-play-vaccine-shows-1200257/

Eric Clapton anti vax set list -

Sick and tired

Mainline Florida

We’re going wrong

I Can’t Stand It

Got to get better

World of pain

Heaven is one step away

• Like 1

Clapton is a complete asshole. This notable quote should clear up any doubts you might have -

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!”

• Like 1

Only a simpleton would pay any attention to what a celebrity had to say about that stuff.

Clapton has made some of the best music ever - my interest in him ends there.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Clapton is a complete asshole. This notable quote should clear up any doubts you might have -

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!”

Whoa!

Had no idea he was such a douchebag.

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Only a simpleton would pay any attention to what a celebrity had to say about that stuff.

Clapton has made some of the best music ever - my interest in him ends there.

So I’m a simpleton, eh? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Sean said:

“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands. So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country. I don't want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should vote for Enoch Powell. Enoch's our man. I think Enoch's right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white. I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans don't belong here, we don't want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don't want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!”

Wow! 

When did he say that?

Sounds like a character from a song penned by Roger Waters circa 1979 "...who let all of this riff raff into the room!"

2 minutes ago, Teener said:

Wow! 

When did he say that?

Sounds like a character from a song penned by Roger Waters circa 1979 "...who let all of this riff raff into the room!"

On stage in 1976, while shitfaced. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Sean said:

Please tell me that's a parody or something.

I am spellbound by his guitar work. He's got a creative imagination, and some serious reach, IMO. 

Clapton had a severe physical reaction to his Covid shot. Then he had a loud, distasteful reaction to the reaction. Maybe Van Morrison brought out the worst bits here.

I am disgusted by @Sean's quote, yet it is taken from '76.  I am also disgusted by the anti-vax crusading, taken from the present.

Clapton's autobiography is candid, yet is uniquely inoffensive to all other parties. Lots of personal interaction with George Harrison is found in the book. I saw no racist undertones in the writing.

In the ugliest part of the book, Clapton pays a shrink to fix damage done, to an ex. She takes the help from the shrink, but negotiates a conversation between the three of them, meaning herself, the shrink, and Clapton. The meetup happens, and she tells him off.  (So far, so good.)  Promptly, she committed suicide.

He was living across town when the accident happened with his son. A high-rise window washer was explaining to the mother that the window would be open, when the child bolted for the open window.

The last third of the book is all about "recovery" (and how no one gets it).

I'll continue to hang with Derick's approach to the blues, but he has a lot to learn.

• Like 1

Current mandate is only fully vaccinated people allowed into concerts. Clapton says no, he will only play when everyone is allowed to attend.  The irony is deep. Not sure I would say most overrated but certainly not in the company of the worlds best.

I seem to recall Clapton got vaccinated and had a bad turn from it......

As for his racist rant..... drugs and alcohol can make a person do or say really bad shit.
I am glad he found his path to sobriety.

Clapton is God!

I don't give a shit if he had a bad reaction from the vaccine.  He is among an incredibly tiny percentage of those who had that experience.

But, his proclamation means everyone who wants to see him must subject themselves to a petri dish.

18 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I like to sit close, get out easy from both seating and the pkng lot. 

Front row center were $3000 each.

Saw Clapton in 1974 in Philadelphia, and again in 1987 in Los Angeles...  87 was far better, had Phil Collins on the drums and Robert Cray back up guitar.. 

Is he overrated... yeah I think so

5 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Saw Clapton in 1974 in Philadelphia, and again in 1987 in Los Angeles...  87 was far better, had Phil Collins on the drums and Robert Cray back up guitar.. 

Is he overrated... yeah I think so

I've seen him a number of times over the years, the last time was at the Forum probably 2017? It was a hollow version of the past.

Yes, I think Clapton's musical skills are in decline. And it's been known by his closer fans, of which I am one, that his personal political are far-right toxic waste. I don't really care, since I'm never going to vote for him for office and apparently the charities he supports are mostly directed by the Church of England. For many years, he practiced with church musicians and when at home, played guitar in services (dunno if he still does).

Clapton has always been modest and is not the kind of spotlight-hogging showboat that a lot of other stars are. It's kind of puzzling where he picked up his political/race views but there it is. He's also known for not talking much at concerts or other public events, so while a racist rant may be consistent with his views expressed elsewhere (interviews), it would not be really consistent with his performing persona.

An asshole? Maybe. Should I care?

- DSK

2 hours ago, solosailor said:

$800 for concert tickets....????   

I paid $80 to see Iron Maiden two years ago and they had three times as many guitar players. All three of them know how to keep their mouths shut.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sean said:

So I’m a simpleton, eh? 

If you pay attention to and are affected by the opinions of celebrities as if they have some special awareness or knowledge along with their talent.

Where do you think the whole anti-vax thing got its legs?

People following along with idiot celebrities.

Wagner was a major asshole too - doesn't make his music any less magnificent.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I like to sit close, get out easy from both seating and the pkng lot. 

Front row center were $3000 each.

Any concert to which attendance comes close to my mortgage ($1300) is a big "no".  To me, $800 is "close".  Forget about $3K.

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

If you pay attention to and are affected by the opinions of celebrities as if they have some special awareness or knowledge along with their talent.

Where do you think the whole anti-vax thing got its legs?

People following along with idiot celebrities.

Wagner was a major asshole too - doesn't make his music any less magnificent.

Yeah, but people follow them, and the word fan being short for fanatic, they often adopt their views. Clapton attributed an illness to the vaccine and now he is exacerbating a deadly situation.

Lets call it what it really is though, guys like him and Van Morrison are narcissists who want to be on stage and viewed last year’s restrictions as a personal affront.

• Like 2

Trouble is.... A lot of artists/musicians flame out after they clean up/sober up. The creativity, and energy is borne on the wings of alternative reality.

Pete Townshend became mundane after he quit drinking. John Lennon became even more imperious after he stopped booting up. James Taylor was always a bit of a weenie, but after he quit heroin.... James who?

As Neil Young said "Better to burn out, than fade away.".... Look at so many musical heroes who died between 27-35... While they were still hot..... Then look at Elvis Presley who became a parody of himself before he died the same way as Graham Parsons, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane (OK Trane was a little older, but...)......

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Any concert to which attendance comes close to my mortgage ($1300) is a big "no".  To me, $800 is "close".  Forget about $3K.

Maybe you'll  change your mind when the house is paid for, the kid's have moved out, and you suddenly discover you have disposable income. Don't spoil the kids and grandkids, they are bottomless cash pits no matter how much you help them out.Save some for yourself, you earned it. 

• Like 1

Re. EC's famous racist rant: It was 45 years ago. He was utterly piss drunk (probably played like shit that night), and a rich young Saudi grabbed his wife Patti on the ass just before he went on stage. 

If he was such a racist, BB King, Robert Cray, Nathan East and a long list of other top black musicians would have had nothing to do with him.

Great guitar player who grew into a great songwriter and singer as he aged. His playing hasn't changed or progressed, he just plays like Clapton. 

Clapton may be God, but he sure ain't no Jeff Beck.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Absolutely!  He had a kid that could fly!

9 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Gravity. It's the law...

Once again, Political Anarchy demonstrates that there are no limits to the depths to which some scumbags will go.

Fucking useless pieces of shit, both of you.

4 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I seem to recall Clapton got vaccinated and had a bad turn from it......

As for his racist rant..... drugs and alcohol can make a person do or say really bad shit.
I am glad he found his path to sobriety.

Clapton is God!

And yet there are plenty of drunk drug users who aren't racist. 

31 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

More Ex-Pat chickenshit blather.

I don't give two shits about Clapton.

Speaking of Darwin: here's hoping you choke to death on your own vomit after you drink and drug yourself into oblivion this afternoon, fantasizing about your Mexican whores.

Fucking making jokes about the death of a child. What a shitbag.

To harp on a personal tragedy like that is really beyond reprehensible.

Now,  as for his severe reaction to the vaccine, PERHAPS years of booting scag might have had something to do with it and MAYBE he should have prefaced his statement with something like:    "If you were shooting smack for an extensive time you should be aware THAT MIGHT HAVE HEALTH CONSEQUENCES." 

I mean...was he all that health-conscious when he needed a fix?

2 hours ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Once again, Political Anarchy demonstrates that there are no limits to the depths to which some scumbags will go.

Fucking useless pieces of shit, both of you.

Good thing I didn't skip to end of the thread to make the flying kid joke.

1 hour ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

I don't give two shits about Clapton.

Speaking of Darwin: here's hoping you choke to death on your own vomit after you drink and drug yourself into oblivion this afternoon, fantasizing about your Mexican whores.

Fucking making jokes about the death of a child. What a shitbag.

Better than an adult. A lot less has been invested and they are easy enough to make new. Clapton jokes being one thing I have never gotten this modern concept about the overblown value of children.

20 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I have never gotten this modern concept about the overblown value of children.

Dime a dozen. I’m number 12, and I’ve got two younger siblings. 

Robert Cray.... A black man who has spent 40 (+-) years trying to sound like a white man who wants to sound like a black man.

(That's Robt. Cray on bass guitar.)

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

Better than an adult. A lot less has been invested and they are easy enough to make new. Clapton jokes being one thing I have never gotten this modern concept about the overblown value of children.

children have potential.

though, it is a shame to see it wasted.

9 hours ago, Sean said:

1E23A69A-20B5-442A-B2FA-43CD8B858034.jpeg

How can they verify it's true when there is no recording of it???  I have serious doubts that even in 1979, if someone of his stature said that on stage, it would have been headline news in the British press.  I could not give two warm shits about Clapton the person, but I don't buy he ever said anything like that.

Besides, I saw him play live in Dubai a few years back.  If he actually said that about Arabs - I sincerely doubt he would have been invited.  

3 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

How can they verify it's true when there is no recording of it???  I have serious doubts that even in 1979, if someone of his stature said that on stage, it would have been headline news in the British press.  I could not give two warm shits about Clapton the person, but I don't buy he ever said anything like that.

Besides, I saw him play live in Dubai a few years back.  If he actually said that about Arabs - I sincerely doubt he would have been invited.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/eric-clapton-apologizes-for-racist-past-i-sabotaged-everything

Eric Clapton Apologizes for Racist Past: ‘I Sabotaged Everything’

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ding FUCKING DING!

6 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

The only people who take 'advice' from Hollywooders, sports folks or entertainers....are the same fuk-apples who eat Tide-pods and get their gnus from bumper stickers and memes. So if they die....tuff shit....no fuking loss....

Si, Americanos

You cant have a Clapton thread without music.

Or Clapton and Carlos

10 hours ago, Sean said:

When I realized what I said, I just was so disgusted with myself. I was so fucking angry. And I thought I needed to apologize to the people that I said that to, because it was shocking and unforgivable and I was so ashamed of who I was. I was becoming not only chauvinistic, but fascistic too. I was a kind of a semi racist, which didn’t make sense. I mean, half of my friends were Black. I dated Black women, and listened to Black music and championed Black music. But it didn’t matter at all. They could all have gone to the wall as long as I had the bottle. I hated everything. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric-clapton-racist-rant/

• Like 1

and some more guitar players...... featuring lucille.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Snopes......:lol:

source of both the original and the rebuttal .

your point ?

11 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Exactly. Britney got vaccinated.

Maybe Eric Clapton should have Britney’s father run his life now that he is a senile old fool.

I'm not a fan but as we've already been vaccinated I fail to understand the meltdown.

12 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Exactly. Britney got vaccinated.

Maybe Eric Clapton should have Britney’s father run his life now that he is a senile old fool.

Not a fan of Britney either. 

Maybe Eric Clapton needs a shitlib NAZI assigned to monitor he doesn't forget to drink his Kool-Aid.

tenor.gif 

Not sure about his music, but damn, he could have one hell of a career in the GOP if he wanted.

7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Trouble is.... A lot of artists/musicians flame out after they clean up/sober up. The creativity, and energy is borne on the wings of alternative reality.

Pete Townshend became mundane after he quit drinking. John Lennon became even more imperious after he stopped booting up. James Taylor was always a bit of a weenie, but after he quit heroin.... James who?

As Neil Young said "Better to burn out, than fade away.".... Look at so many musical heroes who died between 27-35... While they were still hot..... Then look at Elvis Presley who became a parody of himself before he died the same way as Graham Parsons, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane (OK Trane was a little older, but...)......

Disagree.  You have no idea what Janice, the Doors, Bob Marley, etc. would have done for the next ten years after they died.  That was way too young to have any idea.  New cutting edge songs at 50+ is virtually unheard of, David Crosby is making good music, but there's nowhere to listen to it in the spotify world that makes them no money.  I can't name a recent Stones song, Pearl Jam's most recent album went into the ether.  The people you mentioned still had record sales to count on and record companies to back them.  The ONLY money to be made now is live concerts, which ended with the pandemic for a year and a half.  Half The Dead are 70 years old and they will be the biggest touring band of the summer by far.  I'm not a "shut up and dribble" guy at all, but If people like Clapton and Van Morrison and Roger Waters want to influencers then let them deal with the consequences.

8 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Why? 'Cuz some fuk-stik who plays a guitar didn't know how to Dad properly? Are you f'ng serious?.....

No, because dead children are not funny no matter who their parents are unless you're someone that takes a sadistic joy in the death of the defenseless.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Burning Man said:

You were not in England in 68 when Powell did his "rivers of blood" thing.

You didn't live there in the late 60's

you were not there in the 70's and 80's to see the rise of the Skins and national front. (one of the reasons my family emigrated) 

Clapton was 21 years old at the time. I'd equate that rant to Nationalism rather than Racism.

What I saw was, that in a time of economic crisis, ignorant people wanted "Britain for the British" the particular colour and ethnicity of the "incomers" was a convenient tool to vilify with.

Ugly and drunkenness' no excuse. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Venom said:

needs a shitlib NAZI

Taking the piss out of a public figure for putting his followers and others in harms way makes me a nazi? Not to mention a liberal?

Do you even know what a nazi is? Oh that’s right, you do. Fuck you. 

57 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Taking the piss out of a public figure for putting his followers and others in harms way makes me a nazi? Not to mention a liberal?

Never said you were a liberal.

You've been vaccinated of your own free will you and you are safe. Same here.

You can't control others from believing what they want any more than I can stop you from drinking Kool-Aid.

I'm okay with that. 

57 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Do you even know what a nazi is?

Yes, because I'm a surf Nazi. :D

I know it's horrible but I just can't help myself. :ph34r:

10 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Disagree.  You have no idea what Janice, the Doors, Bob Marley, etc. would have done for the next ten years after they died.  That was way too young to have any idea.  New cutting edge songs at 50+ is virtually unheard of, David Crosby is making good music, but there's nowhere to listen to it in the spotify world that makes them no money.  I can't name a recent Stones song, Pearl Jam's most recent album went into the ether.  The people you mentioned still had record sales to count on and record companies to back them.  The ONLY money to be made now is live concerts, which ended with the pandemic for a year and a half.  Half The Dead are 70 years old and they will be the biggest touring band of the summer by far.  I'm not a "shut up and dribble" guy at all, but If people like Clapton and Van Morrison and Roger Waters want to influencers then let them deal with the consequences.

That's kinda my point.

17 hours ago, Happy said:

Clapton may be God, but he sure ain't no Jeff Beck.

I suspect Clapton would agree with you on that.

Years ago David Gilmore asked his bandmate Rick Wright who was the best guitarist. Wright's answer surprise Gilmore, but he could not disagree.
Clapton is God.

13 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Ding FUCKING DING!

Hey didn't our current vice President say she would not take "Trumps" vaccine?
Yes I do recall she did as did a number of other politicians and media types.

And did not our sitting President make disparaging remarks multiple time, including his assessment of 7-11 owners?
Why yes, I believe he did indeedie.

6 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Hey didn't our current vice President say she would not take "Trumps" vaccine?
Yes I do recall she did as did a number of other politicians and media types.

And did not our sitting President make disparaging remarks multiple time, including his assessment of 7-11 owners?

I don't think anyone wants "Trumps" vaccine, even Stormy.

6 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

And those remarks are responsible for 10's if not 100's of thousands of lives?  Did they inspire an attack on the Capitol Building causing loss of life?  Biden/Harris aren't perfect, but go see the Wizard and get a brain.

• Like 1

Biden has almost certainly farted in the presence of other people.

Worst POTUS ever.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Biden has almost certainly farted in the presence of other people.

Worst POTUS ever.

Through the diaper?  Nevermind, that was TFG.

9 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

You were not in England in 68 when Powell did his "rivers of blood" thing.

You didn't live there in the late 60's

you were not there in the 70's and 80's to see the rise of the Skins and national front. (one of the reasons my family emigrated) 

Clapton was 21 years old at the time. I'd equate that rant to Nationalism rather than Racism.

What I saw was, that in a time of economic crisis, ignorant people wanted "Britain for the British" the particular colour and ethnicity of the "incomers" was a convenient tool to vilify with.

Ugly and drunkenness' no excuse. 

I was in school in England in '67 and '68.  We learned racist school chants, not from the teachers, but they were accepted practice in the schoolyard.

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

And those remarks are responsible for 10's if not 100's of thousands of lives?  Did they inspire an attack on the Capitol Building causing loss of life?  Biden/Harris aren't perfect, but go see the Wizard and get a brain.

I am not making a comparison between anyone. Just pointing out some inconvenient facts for you folks.
But hey, go team, right?

4 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

I am not making a comparison between anyone. Just pointing out some inconvenient facts for you folks.
But hey, go team, right?

Except you didn't attach a link and ended the statement with a question mark. Aren't you just a shit stirrer?

33 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Except you didn't attach a link and ended the statement with a question mark. Aren't you just a shit stirrer?

The whataboutism is weak with this one.

17 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Oh, he admitted he did it and apologized immediately.. Said he went on stage that day drunk as a skunk and regreted it. He was doing smack at the time so it's unlikely he was just drunk.  76 was a chemically hazardous time to be a 23 year old millionaire in the rock show biz, and in 45 yrs there have been no like incidents, so it's plausible.

23 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

It's more typical than not for musical gifts to fade after 30. The ones who keep it all their lives are fairly rare.  I believe that same thing applies to the mathematically gifted. The ones that do manage to keep it get downright scary though. Beethoven, Einstein, Isaac Newton, guys like that. Pop music? Different set of rules seems to apply. Can't seem to think of anyone in that biz who did their best work in their 40s. Then again it's a pretty new phenomena and those Beethoven/Einstein guys only show up every few hundred years or so.   

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
16 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Half The Dead are 70 years old

Great line.

Agreed. I'm starting a cover band TONIGHT and call ourselves The Half Dead... I'll be the youngest guy

- DSK

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Are you so intellectually devoid and lacking in what your political elite really are?

Yes, yes of course you are...... and you are not alone sadly.

5 hours ago, quod umbra said:

I suspect Clapton would agree with you on that.

Years ago David Gilmore asked his bandmate Rick Wright who was the best guitarist. Wright's answer surprise Gilmore, but he could not disagree.
Clapton is God.

I always liked Gilmore's thoughts on playing.  "Why play 20 notes when one will do."

5 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I was in school in England in '67 and '68.  We learned racist school chants, not from the teachers, but they were accepted practice in the schoolyard.

I was there in '61 & '62.

I had my first experience of racism there. A couple of south Asian (IIRC) brothers were always being ganged up on. They were called "The darkies".

I remember being puzzled by it at first - I had zero experience of anything like it.

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Agreed. I'm starting a cover band TONIGHT and call ourselves The Half Dead... I'll be the youngest guy

- DSK

Rip out a 35 minute Scarlet>Fire and you will be golden.

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

I have go-heads smarter than that stupid bitch. Gawd help us all if the Human Pez Dispenser goes dts early......:angry:

That makes two people here dumb enough to take medical advise from this guy.  

Clapton was just the Justin Bieber of his day. Open your ears and listen to serious musicians like Steve **Dogballs** or Bryan Ferneyhough. 

8 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Uh huh