I got the sense it was dead after World Sailing chose to also include kiteboarding. Its a shame, because if you aren't going to do it now while the sport has so much momentum from COVID for a debut in Paris where the Frenchies love all things IMOCA, Mini 6.5, etc... I can't see it happening at all.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/07/19/two-handed-growth-for-fastnet-race/

3 hours ago, Some.Rando said:

Does anyone know if there's still energy being put into getting the Mixed Offshore sailing event added to the Olympics in 2028? 

Why would take a perfectly good thing and let the Olympics fuck it up

• Like 4
On 7/23/2021 at 2:17 PM, Livia said:

Why would take a perfectly good thing and let the Olympics fuck it up

Good point. I was just noticing that the mixed offshore event is gone from the NorCal portion of the US Open Regatta.

Does any other Olympic sport require $200k worth of equipment with HUGE a cost of ownership?  The cost of a single set of sails from just one boat would buy all of the soccer balls for all the Olympic competitors.  Other sports allow you to work with the gear you will use in competition, that won't be the case for this class.    Raising money to buy a dingy seems a bit easier reach for most.

5 hours ago, solosailor said:

Does any other Olympic sport require $200k worth of equipment with HUGE a cost of ownership?  The cost of a single set of sails from just one boat would buy all of the soccer balls for all the Olympic competitors.  Other sports allow you to work with the gear you will use in competition, that won't be the case for this class.    Raising money to buy a dingy seems a bit easier reach for most.

The cost equation probably depends heavily on existing facilities.

IF you happen to live in a region that already has great recreational sailing facilities, then dinghy sailing is certainly cheaper than any kind of keelboat racing.

BUT if you only have commercial docks, then one of the mixed doubles boats would probably be easier to work with and train on.

In other words, on the margins of the sport you have a choice between probably a $300k boat (with punitive import taxes taken into account) which can live in a cradle on the wharf or you can put in a multi-million dollar Olympic training facility for dinghies. Either way, you have to convince the local rich guys to pony up. But in the first case, the rich guys have a (long) shot at taking a medal home and they should be capable of doing the right kind of bragging so that their less affluent peers want in on the action themselves. THEN you build the multi-million dollar facility. Or maybe the locals just want to stick with the commercial wharf and let their coastline remain as undeveloped as possible.

Part of the reason for choosing dinghies for the Olympics is/was equity.  The lower costs made an Olympic campaign at least somewhat reachable for somebody not from the first world.  Offshore keelboats are pretty much a 1%er sport.

12 hours ago, sam_crocker said:

Part of the reason for choosing dinghies for the Olympics is/was equity.  The lower costs made an Olympic campaign at least somewhat reachable for somebody not from the first world.  Offshore keelboats are pretty much a 1%er sport.

My point above is that this is exactly backwards. If you live someplace that was colonized by the English, you may have great local dinghy facilities. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper and easier to fund one or two $300k keelboats than a whole dinghy training facility.

Recruiting for offshore mixed doubles among the developing world's youthful elites would be easy: simply drop a business card on every Porsche parked in an internationally ranked Engineering college, and you are done. 

2 hours ago, apophenia said:

My point above is that this is exactly backwards. If you live someplace that was colonized by the English, you may have great local dinghy facilities. Otherwise, it's probably cheaper and easier to fund one or two $300k keelboats than a whole dinghy training facility.

I know this is Groupe Beneteau's argument, but no-one actually believes this, do they? How do you build any kind of community or development programme around a sport if your national federation can only afford two boats? In the absence of marina facilities how many commercial docks can support racing yachts & the associated infrastructure of riggers, electricians, composites guys, sailmakers etc? It's all very well to say "it's OK, a local rich guy will want to take the opportunity to buy themselves into the competition", but that's not really what the Olympics is meant to be about. 

Don't get me wrong, Olympic 2H is awesome for our sport, but I expect the vast majority of competitors & medallists will come from traditional sailing nations.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:56 PM, solosailor said:

Ever priced out a dressage pony? I suspect a good one is a lot more than $200k. What about the organizers providing the boats and then selling them after. Perhaps rich sailing dudes could pay half the cost.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Ever priced out a dressage pony? I suspect a good one is a lot more than $200k.

Whether dressage should be in the Olympics is another argument entirely ;-)

I'm more than familiar with equestrian costs.   But you could win with a course much less than $200k, can't do that with a one-design.   Also, you DO NOT need sophisticated dingy sailing facilities, just a normal launch ramp or even a beach launch.

3 hours ago, Snowden said:

Whether dressage should be in the Olympics is another argument entirely ;-)

What have you got against high-trained horses? I agree, the Olympics could usefully cut several things.

9 hours ago, Snowden said:

I know this is Groupe Beneteau's argument, but no-one actually believes this, do they? How do you build any kind of community or development programme around a sport if your national federation can only afford two boats? In the absence of marina facilities how many commercial docks can support racing yachts & the associated infrastructure of riggers, electricians, composites guys, sailmakers etc? It's all very well to say "it's OK, a local rich guy will want to take the opportunity to buy themselves into the competition", but that's not really what the Olympics is meant to be about. 

Don't get me wrong, Olympic 2H is awesome for our sport, but I expect the vast majority of competitors & medallists will come from traditional sailing nations.

Getting back to the original topic: What about an Olympic race from LA to Hawaii in Seascape First 27s, or even 24s?

2 hours ago, solosailor said:

A 11-14 day continuous Olympic event.  

You would probably have to negotiate down to a race around Catalina and back to OC/LA/SD. But the proposal to race to Hawaii might generate some buzz.