Spare Trimaran in Wales, compass heading?

Whenever I buy a boat people ask me "how are you going to get it home?    

I have collected modes of transportation most of my life, to me they are keys, to open  doors of the unknown.  The latest key is an incredible Farrier Command 10 trimaran,  Richard Woods has inspected her , and his impression was that she could be the best one ever built.

So, Wales is the start of an adventure, my first thought/plan is to sail her to the closest pub, 30 miles away, grab a pint, and fresh fish n chips.

I have two weeks available,  as I am also moving a 48ft Cross, 39ft Tennant, and others to the first annual multihull gathering in Washington NC.   

So,  I have this key, Wales, Azores, North Carolina,  Bahamas? 

Love to share it.

Cheers, 

Stephen 

Ps, any donations will go to the gathering,  and the NORTH CAROLINA TO BAHAMAS MULTIHULL RACE

915051.jpg

915046.jpg

915052.jpg

604108_1.jpg

915047.jpg

915049.jpg

• Like 1

I had never even heard of this model.  gorgeous boat.  I'm jealous as always.

Have you ever sailed a modern A-Class?  If not, stop by Lake Lanier sometime and I'll throw you the keys.

-Mike

St Pete NOOD A-cat.jpg

Been looking at the Azores a bit, well positioned to go any direction, not always lots of wind but relatively easy to hit lanes going north, south, east, and west. They say there are some reasonable yards there and a boat can over winter wet, with a local custodian. Supposedly the western Med is cheaper than the eastern, maybe until you get to Turkey. Crossing Biscay during winter or equinoxes or heading north up Portugal can be tough. I think it's usually easier to round the British Isles clockwise (defer to local knowledge), the OSTar start in late May, which is tough for N Americans. The Irish Sea looks pretty cool for cruising. The Baltic is terrific, as would be the north Highlands. Beamy boats will struggle in some of those harbors but shoal boats that can sit on the bottom are a plus. Folding takes much of the haulout pressure off.

If I had to say the ultimate to me would be rounding Newfoundland, hitting the Azores, Sotland, Wales, Ireland, Norway, and the Baltic. Probably take 2 summers at least.

22 hours ago, multihuler said:

Looking for idea's on were to visit,  and is anyone interested in using her?

@multihuler – in East Coast US / FL and the Caribbean (including Bahamas), I'd be happy to crew (with some planning) and/or borrow her. Counter offer: open invite to sail on my various craft - UFO, Nacra 15 foiler, Weta, Wing-foiling board. 

On 7/23/2021 at 11:49 AM, multihuler said:

Looking for idea's on were to visit,  and is anyone interested in using her?

What’s happening with the Wild Thing tour of the US?

18 hours ago, gspot said:

What’s happening with the Wild Thing tour of the US?

Good question,  

My short answer is covid, it takes a lot of planning to make a race, and living in Nevada doesn't help.

Race to Alaska is top on the list, as well as the Bay city race (Gougeon territory).

Anyone interested in sharing her and I will drop her off tomorrow. 

I do have a offer on a home in North Carolina,  which will allow the greatest multihull gathering on the planet.  I am waiting for borders to be opened 

20200417_183236.thumb.jpg.31b619bc28c1579bba5316a21d28797a.jpg

• Like 4
19 hours ago, eastern motors said:

You happen to have an extra Corsair 27 or 28 you want to sell to fund this purchase?

I love the older f27's, but generally stay away from them, as they don't talk to me.  They are easy to find.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, multihuler said:

I appreciate the inspiration, sounds like Scotland is a must. 

The Outer Hebrides have a quality of light that is absolutely unique, no words do it justice...I sailed there in 1983 and the power of that beauty is still fresh in my mind. Amazing scenery, very kind people, do go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 12:21 PM, USA 007 said:

I had never even heard of this model.  gorgeous boat.  I'm jealous as always.

Have you ever sailed a modern A-Class?  If not, stop by Lake Lanier sometime and I'll throw you the keys.

-Mike

St Pete NOOD A-cat.jpg

Nothing for you to be jealous of, what a awesome ride, wow

On 7/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, multihuler said:

I do have a offer on a home in North Carolina,  which will allow the greatest multihull gathering on the planet.  I am waiting for borders to be opened 

That puts you closer to my location. We need to get together, if at least to show my wife someone owns more hulls than we do. 

• Like 1

That looks like another very cool boat for your collection.  Try watching some NBJS vids on YouTube.  This guy Erik does some incredible sailing in places that don't even look real.  Challenging water but i think that Farrier could handle it.  

On 7/29/2021 at 8:01 AM, hannibalhouse said:

Multihuler,

you are considering NC as your new base.  Here is a listing you might consider:  https://www.landsofamerica.com/property/4.45-acres-in-Pamlico-County-North-Carolina/7013626/

Things are still pretty reasonably priced in this neck of the woods.  I have no personal connection to this property.

WOW! 4 1/2 acres waterfront land including a marina for $250,000 , what’s the catch? Sounds perfect for @multihuler. Go for it!

I was excited to visit all the ports mentioned,  but realized it would make more sense to use a motorcycle, just as wet, and without the tides. 

Then I decided to sail to the Azores, south, warmer, and the bucket list is to cross an ocean.

Thanks for all the ideas, flying into London this month

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So multihuller stopped by my place on his way south to his NC base with the Cross 48 and joined our late summer multi gathering. I figured we had around 582' hull length along the bulkhead. Mostly rebuilt great old 'uns looking better than today's offering of new 'uns!

The Cross will sit there while he takes on the Welsh Adventure - Go Steve!

• Like 1