When Did People Start Believing Politicians Over The Experts?

I was born and raised in the Windy City, so named because of our windbag politicians, and I grew up believing all politicians lie.  If you took the word of a politician at face value, you were a fool.  I still believe that today because I can't think of many politicians who give two shits about the truth.

When the alarms started sounding for me was when Ted Cruz, one of the biggest bullshitters on the planet, said climate change was a hoax.

Any earlier examples when throngs of people shunned the experts because their politician told them to?

16 minutes ago, Jules said:

I was born and raised in the Windy City, so named because of our windbag politicians, and I grew up believing all politicians lie.  If you took the word of a politician at face value, you were a fool.  I still believe that today because I can't think of many politicians who give two shits about the truth.

When the alarms started sounding for me was when Ted Cruz, one of the biggest bullshitters on the planet, said climate change was a hoax.

Any earlier examples when throngs of people shunned the experts because their politician told them to?

Oh just knock it the fuk off with the climate 'change' shit. It's been 'changing' since Day 1 and will continue to so.....you drinking soy steak shakes, dead leaves and driving a skateboard to work or not. Jeezis key-rhyst but it's getting olde, over-used.....and just like pulling out the race card every 2.6 seconds.....pathetically pathetic. Plus it's the biggest fuking money grab of all money grabs in recorded history.....and we all know it.

Key-fuking-rhyst......

• Like 2
  • Downvote 3
9 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Oh just knock it the fuk off with the climate 'change' shit. It's been 'changing' since Day 1 and will continue to so.....you drinking soy steak shakes, dead leaves and driving a skateboard to work or not. Jeezis key-rhyst but it's getting olde, over-used.....and just like pulling out the race card every 2.6 seconds.....pathetically pathetic. Plus it's the biggest fuking money grab of all money grabs in recorded history.....and we all know it.

Key-fuking-rhyst......

If you find it so unconscionable, I think you should fall on your sword and leave.

Hang on a tic....that's right, you DID leave remember? Wasn't it just a week ago?

Only fuckwits cry poor me I' m outa here and then stick around.

I thought you had the perfect life or some similar bullshit and that Anarchy was a bunch of pussy lefties not worth your time? 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

If you find it so unconscionable, I think you should fall on your sword and leave.

Hang on a tic....that's right, you DID leave remember? Wasn't it just a week ago?

I thought you had the perfect life or some similar bullshit and that Anarchy was a bunch of pussy lefties not worth your time? 

I dare you to even ATTEMPT to compare your carbon handprint to my own, you hipocritical cunt.....'cuz you won't even remotely come close to how small mine is. So be a real caring human bean, do your part to help the planet....and fall off a cliff. 

Stupid bitch.....

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

I dare you to even ATTEMPT to compare your carbon handprint to my own, you hipocritical cunt.....'cuz you won't even remotely come close to how small mine is. So be a real caring human bean, do your part to help the planet....and fall off a cliff. 

Stupid bitch.....

Here we go again with the 'stupid' moniker you keep trying to flick pass to someone else.

My carbon foot print is fine thanks for asking.  I've just finished loading 200lrs of methanol into the ute, unlike that pesky nasty Mexican low grade shit you call petrol.  

And its h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-i-c-a-l you numpty.

Word of advice dear chap, you shouldn't really ask to compare how little your thingy is.

Its just not seemly.   

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Jules said:

Given between Al Gore and Ted Cruz, I'll take a bull-shitter over a hypocrite any day. At least with the bull-shitter, you know they're full of shit and you just change the channel.

31 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Plus it's the biggest fuking money grab of all money grabs in recorded history.....and we all know it.

It a religion... go figure

7 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Given between Al Gore and Ted Cruz

Why are you deciding between 2 politicians???  Shouldn't you be basing your opinions and actions on what the experts say?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Stupid bitch.....

You should stick with putting roofies in cougar's drinks.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

So, when did YOU start believing politicians over experts?

I don't belive either of them

Happier now?....

17 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Given between Al Gore and Ted Cruz, I'll take a bull-shitter over a hypocrite any day. At least with the bull-shitter, you know they're full of shit and you just change the channel.

It a religion... go figure

That’s kind of dumb but I’ll play. Do you not think Cruz is a hypocrite?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:
1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Key-fuking-rhyst......

He's too busy attempting to gain the podium in the "Dumbest Shit Here" sweeps.

3 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Lol.  So you really are just an idiot.

He's been trying to tell you that for awhile.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:
39 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

I don't belive either of them

Happier now?....

Lol.  So you really are just an idiot.

Are you new here?

2 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

And how do you plan to hold on to your title?

OOOOOHH - snappy.

Flunked out of that Wit seminar again did you?

Well, I see they gave you half credit anyway.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

What he doesn't get is that climate change will force him to bury his head deeper in the sand.

Well he does have the 4x4 with low pressure tires to get there………..

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

OOOOOHH - snappy.

Gawd but you truly are one of the worse sychophantic fags I've ever seen here in 15 years. And THAT.....is no small feat. Wfd, lemming boi....

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Be nice guys or Ricky will leave for the 7th time!

Why don't you be a caring human bean for a minute and drag your ignorant Leftista ass over to G/A and let Mr. McCabe know you're thinking about him......

6 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Why don't you be a caring human bean for a minute and drag your ignorant Leftista ass over to G/A and let Mr. McCabe know you're thinking about him......

Did that 2hrs ago.  

Edit: 3hrs ago.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Did that 2hrs ago.  

Pass on my regards. If our resident clown thinks he's a dick you couldn't ask for a higher accolade. 

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

OOOOOHH - snappy.

Better than not making the tryouts for the Jr. Varsity Cunt Squad...

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Did that 2hrs ago.  

Edit: 3hrs ago.  

Thank you. He sounded a bit nervous when typing.....but it's a pretty serious surgery. His nurse pal that tracked me down the other day wouldn't & couldn't say much on his behalf when we talked on the phone.....but I could read between the lines. Will update when I hear anything.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hobie1616 said:

Makes it easier to have them hold still for the photo.

"Hey...  Look who I fucked yesterday.  And she doesn't mind me posting her picture, by the way."

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

He’s left loudly at least 3 times the past month.  He’s a little bitchlette. If he were a dog (not our Dog) he’d be a 3 legged brain damaged Chichuahua.

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Link?

1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

Jfc....even Stevie WONDER found it.....

Whoops......sorry Brah.....:D

7 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Jfc....even Stevie WONDER found it.....

It's way early here, cawfee still kicking in....:P

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jules said:

Probably started about the time god created the earth roughly 3000 years ago.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

When?

When the democRATS became a cult of pedophile cannibals who Hate America. 

Well, there is that.  But I think the real turning point was when the jews put lasers in space and pretty much forced us to stop believing the experts.  Something about "submit or die".  

Faux News instead of questioning what the pollies were sayin, and what they were really up to,  simply pronounced it the truth and found a talking head prepared to add credence to the bullshit.

The result, making News Corp richer, Rupert has been doing this shit for decades now, its just business to him.

He has single handedly gutted journalism and the truth in one foul swoop.

He wasn't the first but he has finessed it to an art form.

Forget Facebook,  Faux is killing the country and Rupert don't give a fuck

1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

Faux News instead of questioning what the pollies were sayin, and what they were really up to,  simply pronounced it the truth and found a talking head prepared to add credence to the bullshit.

The result, making News Corp richer, Rupert has been doing this shit for decades now, its just business to him.

He has single handedly gutted journalism and the truth in one foul swoop.

He wasn't the first but he has finessed it to an art form.

Forget Facebook,  Faux is killing the country and Rupert don't give a fuck

Why forget facebook??  They have an audience far wider than fox could ever hope to have.  

52 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

brain damaged Chichuahua.

That's a redundancy isn't it?

4 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Huh?  Does that mean you accept the bullshit from one bullshitter than the other because you've justified it?

My question about why anyone believes politicians still stands...

7 hours ago, Ventucky Red said:

Given between Al Gore and Ted Cruz, I'll take a bull-shitter over a hypocrite any day.

Methinks you are way too wired into Rupert's FAUX  . . . 

Are you seriously gonna give us that R-eich Wing meme that 

Big Al can't talk about global climate because  . . . house . . flying . . 

Don't be a tool of the -eich. 

2 hours ago, Jules said:

My question about why anyone believes politicians still stands...

So you're telling us that the Drumph is just as truthful as James Carter ??  

Both sidesims alert !!!  

8 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Key-fuking-rhyst......

Such a perfect example outlining the problem, as addressed in the OP.

Dunning & Kruger claimed their work was observational but I think they were secretly starting something.

10 hours ago, benwynn said:
12 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Makes it easier to have them hold still for the photo.

"Hey...  Look who I fucked yesterday.  And she doesn't mind me posting her picture, by the way."

I think the the El is over compensating.  I suspect his dick went soft years ago, just after his brain died.

All he has left is to bullshit on here, about the glory days replaying in his head.

14 hours ago, Jules said:

There are bound to be earlier examples but the internet and tv have changed how we hear about things. Folks have been sleepwalking to the tune of their pastors and pols since pastors and pols first developed, scientists came much later. Ben said it above: people are lazy -- cattle or sheep or lemmings. Even a smart dog can push them around.

My own take is that the climate is changing, and always has been. I know about the hole in the ozone layer and all that jazz. But here's the deal for me: Even if, and that's a big if, we thinking folks around the planet are correct that we can alter the atmosphere by cutting off/minimizing industrial growth here and there, it won't matter. Once the countries on the African, and South American, and the Indian sub continent, start developing their resources ... the problem becomes much too big and late to make a difference. 

• Like 1

It’s not that experts wearing lab coats can’t be bought and at surprisingly low prices. But still, I think academia has a better if definitely imperfect track record than politicians and lobbyists.

The advantage science has is falsifiable hypotheses and repeatable experiments. I guess bullshit has the advantage of repetition as well, but without the verification.

12 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

So you're telling us that the Drumph is just as truthful as James Carter ??  

Both sidesims alert !!!  

They all lie.  If that's both-sideism to you, maybe consider taking off the rose colored glasses when looking at the Dems.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

They all lie.

the GOPPER R-eich lies far, far more. 

There is really no comparison. 

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Folks have been sleepwalking to the tune of their pastors and pols since pastors and pols first developed, scientists came much later.

Sure, but I don't remember seeing politicians as the omnipotent ones and if anyone disagrees with them, the disagreers are immediately called liars.  

It seems most people today wouldn't get the old joke, "What do you call 500 politicians at the bottom of the ocean?"  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

the GOPPER R-eich lies far, far more. 

There is really no comparison. 

You just made the comparison.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jules said:

You just made the comparison.

Come on man, are you saying that Drumph's documented 30,000 lies while in office (and thousands more since then) 

are no worse than any Dem you might name ?? 

Not that I am very wild about most Dems - I am not. 

(and you know you are out on a limb when EM agrees with you) 

Here is some raw date for ya . . from a very conservative source. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmarkowitz/2021/04/30/who-lied-more-during-their-first-100-days-biden-trump-or-obama/?sh=2107ab8c1a89

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

...stuff i agree with...

My own take is that the climate is changing, and always has been. I know about the hole in the ozone layer and all that jazz. But here's the deal for me: Even if, and that's a big if, we thinking folks around the planet are correct that we can alter the atmosphere by cutting off/minimizing industrial growth here and there, it won't matter. Once the countries on the African, and South American, and the Indian sub continent, start developing their resources ... the problem becomes much too big and late to make a difference. 

Saying "the climate is changing, and always has been" is a cop out. Of course it has. It's like saying the wind is changing or the waves are changing or the universe is changing. It mean absolutely nothing. That is not the same as "Climate Change," which means our activities as humans is adversely affecting the planet's atmosphere, quite possibly to our long term detriment. When someone says "Climate Change" just substitute "Pollution" and it makes perfect sense. No one with half a brain would suggest pollution is a good thing, right?

As far as the problem being too big to solve, that's another cop out. Even El Mariachi spends time and effort cleaning up the environment. Should he stop doing that? Because I'm pretty sure no matter how much beach garbage he cleans up, there is going to be more. Having created a problem that is hard to solve doesn't absolve anyone from trying. Doing nothing is not an option, well, unless you just don't give a fuck.

Sorry, but at this point anyone that thinks we are not fucking up this planet is just not paying attention.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, bhyde said:

Sorry, but at this point anyone that thinks we are not fucking up this planet is just not paying attention.

No one thinks that, Cap. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

No one thinks that, Cap. 

Like I mentioned earlier.....you guys are gonna have to make China & India disappear first.....to make an actual difference.

Lettuce know how that works out.....:lol:

• Like 1

Next up, Extra-terrestrials or Time Travelers? 
Discuss.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

No one thinks that, Cap. 

Mother Nature doesn't give a flyin' fuck.

11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

There are bound to be earlier examples but the internet and tv have changed how we hear about things. Folks have been sleepwalking to the tune of their pastors and pols since pastors and pols first developed, scientists came much later. Ben said it above: people are lazy -- cattle or sheep or lemmings. Even a smart dog can push them around.

Worse will be the drop in oil prices which would accompany the industrialized world's abandonment of fossil fuels. That will make it damn easy for the rest of the world to industrialize with them. 

What peeves me about it is the obvious and probably only solution is less people. Way less people. Nobody wants to talk about that though. 

9 hours ago, bhyde said:

Saying "the climate is changing, and always has been" is a cop out. Of course it has. It's like saying the wind is changing or the waves are changing or the universe is changing. It mean absolutely nothing. That is not the same as "Climate Change," which means our activities as humans is adversely affecting the planet's atmosphere, quite possibly to our long term detriment. When someone says "Climate Change" just substitute "Pollution" and it makes perfect sense. No one with half a brain would suggest pollution is a good thing, right?

As far as the problem being too big to solve, that's another cop out. Even El Mariachi spends time and effort cleaning up the environment. Should he stop doing that? Because I'm pretty sure no matter how much beach garbage he cleans up, there is going to be more. Having created a problem that is hard to solve doesn't absolve anyone from trying. Doing nothing is not an option, well, unless you just don't give a fuck.

Went to walk the girls late this morning at our little beach spot inside the estuary.....and found this shit left over from the Friday nighters. Probably a 180 lbs of crap here.....and we don't have any city trash pick-up trucks. Pisses me off to no end. Guess I'll have to pay my bud a few bucks to have it all hauled away to the dump. Fuking tourists....:angry:

20210721_130417.jpg

20210721_130300.jpg

• Like 1

I think it goes without saying for our group that you leave it better than you found it.  What's the major source of your trash and work upstream. 

5 hours ago, Mark K said:

What peeves me about it is the obvious and probably only solution is less people. Way less people. Nobody wants to talk about that though. 

They used to 50 years ago.

11 hours ago, Mark K said:

There is a simple solution to this. Give every country universal health care. Every country that has this experiences negative population growth, not counting immigration. Believe it or not, this is the way to save our species from consuming all life-giving resources.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

OOOOOHH - snappy.

Marking on the curve again

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I think it goes without saying for our group that you leave it better than you found it.  What's the major source of your trash and work upstream. 

It's the 18 to 30 year old Mexican kids that come here from Ensenada, TJ, Tecate & Mexicali and fuking trash this place. They're just absolutely frickin' clueless about the fact that the beaches in Baja are a major asset and a huge foreign tourist magnet. It just drives me nuts......

2 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

It's the 18 to 30 year old Mexican kids that come here from Ensenada, TJ, Tecate & Mexicali and fuking trash this place. They're just absolutely frickin' clueless about the fact that the beaches in Baja are a major asset and a huge foreign tourist magnet. It just drives me nuts......

Not what I asked...ADD?  Poster child?

18 hours ago, Mark K said:

Interesting. So how do you accomplish that? Forced sterilization? Mandatory Birth Control? Limit number of children per person or family? Stop giving people with large families $300 a month per child tax credits?
How about zero tax deductions and/or credits for any children, more than 2 children we tax you additionally for having "excessive" offspring?

Please expand on how we go about that sir.
As my Mother used to say, "Keep the population down!"

15 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Mr.BS said;
Gotta be the blacks’ fault somehow. 

Jethro said;
Of course it is.  

Was just reading something about this..... re-Covid.... Only 25% of Blacks have gotten both jabs?

Just now, quod umbra said:

Interesting. So how do you accomplish that? Forced sterilization? Mandatory Birth Control? Limit number of children per person or family? Stop giving people with large families $300 a month per child tax credits?
How about zero tax deductions and/or credits for any children, more than 2 children we tax you additionally for having "excessive" offspring?

Please expand on how we go about that sir.
As my Mother used to say, "Keep the population down!"

Not my area, but I might work on it if people ever expand on the notion the planet can support an unlimited number of people. Let me know if that ever happens.   

So to cite another example, the GOPPER R-eich has been claiming for decades that 

tax cuts for the rich pay for themselves (with increased tax revenues due to growth), 

and benefit everyone by creating lots of jobs. 

Most credible economists, and most Dems, say that the Laffer theory is bogus, and they back up 

their claims with solid research. 

The GOPPER R-eich is clearly lying here. They can and should know better. 

And the Dems are telling the truth . .  

But a number of you claim that "they all lie", which means you believe that Trickle Down economics 

is just as valid as the evidence presented by those who reject it. 

To me, that makes no sense whatsoever. 

And in fact, if you stand by the principle that "they all lie", you are empowering those whom, like the Drumph, lie literally all the time. 

image.jpeg.837da010d7b0bc7f17c7ee62b103039b.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Not my area, but I might work on it if people ever expand on the notion the planet can support an unlimited number of people. Let me know if that ever happens.   

Sorry, that is a cop out.
You can't come in here and proclaim to have the answer and then not lay out how we achieve that IMHO. (well you can but com'on man!)
Again, I do not think you are wrong or far off base. Our economy, the world economy is based on ever-expanding growth. we give ever increasing tax breaks for more and more kids.  How do you get the American Left onboard with scaling back incentives to more kids and larger families? (I ask, since you are from the group)   

On 7/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Come on man, are you saying that Drumph's documented 30,000 lies while in office (and thousands more since then) are no worse than any Dem you might name ?? 

It's the end result that matters.  All but the eternally faithful know TFG lies as a matter of policy.  And most of his lies had no effect.  But when a politician puts on the "I care for you" act, people tend to believe that lie.

As an example - Biden championed the "anti-bankruptcy law" which specifically targeted students, who he knew were easy prey, in order to boost bank profits.  In the process that law ruined a lot of young people's lives and resulted in predatory lending and an enormous national debt.  Bur Biden's banksters were happy.  Much worse than the crazy as shit lies TFG told on a daily basis. 

But Biden didn't stop targeting easy prey there.  He also backed the PACE program, this time targeting the elderly, the poor and the gullible.  In this case, guaranteed payment of those loans were created by throwing your loan payments in with your property taxes.  Pretty sneaky, if you ask me.  And a lot of predators, like Ygrene, came on the scene to take advantage of the easy money.  And the banksters were smiling again.  This is who Joe Biden is.

And you know if Biden was behind these predatory actions, there's more, probably a LOT more.  And all the while he acts like he gives a shit about people.  These kind of snakes are far worse than the dumbshits like TFG and his elk.

10 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

So to cite another example, the GOPPER R-eich has been claiming for decades that 

tax cuts for the rich pay for themselves (with increased tax revenues due to growth), 

and benefit everyone by creating lots of jobs. 

Most credible economists, and most Dems, say that the Laffer theory is bogus, and they back up 

their claims with solid research. 

The GOPPER R-eich is clearly lying here. They can and should know better. 

And the Dems are telling the truth . .  

But a number of you claim that "they all lie", which means you believe that Trickle Down economics 

is just as valid as the evidence presented by those who reject it. 

To me, that makes no sense whatsoever. 

And in fact, if you stand by the principle that "they all lie", you are empowering those whom, like the Drumph, lie literally all the time. 

image.jpeg.837da010d7b0bc7f17c7ee62b103039b.jpeg

You really are a fukin idiot.

6 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

You really are a fukin idiot.

why?  I stand by every word of that post. 

Maybe you are just a tool of the R-eich, unable to explain 

in the most basic terms the reasons for your beliefs. 

28 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Sorry, that is a cop out.
You can't come in here and proclaim to have the answer and then not lay out how we achieve that IMHO. (well you can but com'on man!)
Again, I do not think you are wrong or far off base. Our economy, the world economy is based on ever-expanding growth. we give ever increasing tax breaks for more and more kids.  How do you get the American Left onboard with scaling back incentives to more kids and larger families? (I ask, since you are from the group)   

When your can think about things without dragging Right and Left into them your mind may function again. 

15 minutes ago, Jules said:

As an example - Biden championed the "anti-bankruptcy law" which specifically targeted students,

You are almost entirely wrong here about Biden's student loan policies (which for sure could be better than they are). 

You think he's "the same" as Betsy DeVos ??   Seriously ?? 

For one thing, Biden never promised to cancel all student debt. 

Being uninformed makes you easy prey for the R-eich. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2021/06/16/biden-administration-will-cancel-500-million-in-student-loan-debt---key-details/?sh=528895f529e1

Biden is no angel. He done the deed back in 2005.

https://www.gq.com/story/joe-biden-bankruptcy-bill

If you're looking for perfection, you won't find it in politics. I'm tired of hearing that Hillary voted for the Iraq War. Yeah, she did, under the false pretenses of Bush lying about WMDs, 9/11, .... Shitstain didn't under any pretenses even though he supported it.

Joe Mercola fingered as the number one purveyor of vaccine misinformation by the Gray Lady . . . 

This should be a case study in all high school civics courses . .  

We have to teach our yoot to be able to reject this sort of stupidity. 

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/7/24/2041780/-The-New-York-Times-profiles-the-most-influential-purveyor-of-online-COVID-vaccine-misinformation

13 minutes ago, Mark K said:

When your can think about things without dragging Right and Left into them your mind will be functioning again. 

Another cop out. Both sides of the aisle have always supported tax credits for children. But the left has put that on steroids with $300, per month, per child for families earning up to what was it, $150k??
Do you think that will curb family sizes?

So go ahead, put it out there. I am sure you have a thought on how to achieve a reduction in population growth. Lay it out for us please.

Or????? Maybe what you think is so authoritarian you think we might think less of you for being straight with us??