I've checked the other threads but they seem specific to their titles -- that is, not about sports except for the dinghy thread.

I moved this here:

In "sports" news, China has won the first gold in ... and I am not making this up ... 10M air rifle.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start

That comment about the motocross guys reminded me of a pretty funny encounter with my Dad when I was in High School in San Diego. I had started surfing a couple of years earlier when we were living in

Posted Images

I also watched a new to me sport: basketball but different: 3X3 Olympic BB

It has 4 players on each team. Not a typo. It's half court with a 12 sec shot clock to 21 points or 10 minutes.

This must be a way around the USA always winning the gold. 

Our 4 are all pro players but apparently not quite good enough to make the actual women's event. I'm not putting this down. It might be more fun than watching a reg women's game.

Just watched a 3x3 game. I'm a big fan. No coaches, apparently no refs (sound was off), much faster paced than regular. It's bb like we grew up with.

• Like 1

soccer/football is the most boring team sport ever invented...fuck.  10 shots a game?  what the fuck.  fully 3/4 of the game is palyed between what north american foot ball would be the 40 yard lines and most of that  hey are FUCKING walking...WALKING.  every two minutes some stupid fuck falls on the ground and rolls around like he's been cold-cocked with a cricket bat "ooowww, tou swished me with your baggy shorts"!  the goal is so big you could park a fucking Cessna in it and the STILL can't score...fuck.

• Like 3

Beach volleyball, Skateboarding..... This isn't sports, it's advertising.

What a shame..... And the beach volleyball women looked more like men than the rock climbing guys.

• Like 1

I will freely admit that some Olympic sports make little to no sense to me.  Example being rock climbing.  But beach handball takes the cake. WTF?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I'll start

a9E4LAK_460swp.webp

In a demonstration of what their whole sport is about, apparently the World Beach Ball Federation (or whatever) penalized the Norwegian women for wearing shorts that were "too long".  As in they covered their ass crack.

7 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

I don't follow this stuff anymore....but I've a gut feeling that Team USA(s)......just doesn't have the drive nor the excitement in them this year....

Well, they've mostly been vaccinated, so all the Communist Chinese need to do is dial down their performance on the chips that were implanted.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Rock climbing? Seriously? Is that anything like cottage cheese sculpturing? ..  

Had the surfing on the Teev this morning. 2' slop. WTF??

I left tv on and middle of the night got to see April Ross and her hotter than hades partner beat the Chinese gals. If you watch this, keep in mind both the Chinese women are over 6' tall. Ya gotta be a weird mofo to think these gals 
aren't attractive and serious athletes. This isn't your family picnic VB. 

My guess is the beach handball is another attempt at creating a sport Americans don't win every time. I'm happy the handball women refused the bikinis. They get it. 

9 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Rock climbing? Seriously? Is that anything like cottage cheese sculpturing? ..  

It’s a sport, but not for pussies. Those climbers are serious athletes. Back in the day I used to climb here -

ED125E09-1B50-47CC-B8F6-D12DE8790872.jpeg

11 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Two man/woman beach v-ball has been a REAL big thing since the late 50's. Trust me on this one. And so has skateboarding. I grew up in So Cal and knew all the hot skaters....not to mention Hobie Altar himself. And Bing. And Ty. And and and. So don't poo-poo shit you don't understand.....just because you were born in f'ng Greenland.....

Weren’t you just bagging on soccer, which you apparently don’t understand.  The irony is thick 

14 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Weren’t you just bagging on soccer, which you apparently don’t understand.  The irony is thick 

I thin it was me who ranted about soccer...sorry  :lol:

32 minutes ago, Sean said:

It’s a sport, but not for pussies. Those climbers are serious athletes. Back in the day I used to climb here -

ED125E09-1B50-47CC-B8F6-D12DE8790872.jpeg

'Gunks?

Is the Guinness Book in charge of all these event selections?

Some twisted marketing ploy to make an event more global, inclusive and fair-ish?

I don't really get it, but that's ok.  Have at it, enjoy the moment you privileged athletes of awesomeness. 

I do wish there was some way to actually get talent to the Olympics that wasn't a money path, but that is the way the world works these days.   If you want to be a top tier athlete in just about anything, you have to start very early in life, devote 100% to it, and be subsidized heavily somehow.

So with that said, I propose a new event.

The rock carry, while holding your breath event. (no cottage cheese @El Mariachi)

Contestants selected at random from willing countries.  (one weeks notice)

Completely random selection from country with no distinction on gender. (perhaps age 20-30?)

No bikinis allowed.

***  Ok, dumb idea...  sounds like one of those idiotic reality game shows

2 hours ago, Windward said:

***  Ok, dumb idea...  sounds like one of those idiotic reality game shows

That would be my guess as well but it is what passes for primetime broadcast tv these days.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Yup

Lots of fun. small but had some serious challenges for me as a novice. Great fucking views.... If you had the balls to look. Being a bit of an acrophobic, it was a challenge for me to look out and down. Today, I'd stay 6' from the ledge. I was 19-20 when I climbed there.

• Like 1

Women’s road race won by outlier who hadn’t raced pros in 3-4 yrs.   Hmmm…

Post race comments from big name favorites about ‘lack of organized chase by peloton….’ Blah, blah, blah.

Dutch woman who was second actually thought she had won.   That’s plenty weird.   You don’t know who’s ahead up the road?   I call b.s.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I left tv on and middle of the night got to see April Ross and her hotter than hades partner beat the Chinese gals. If you watch this, keep in mind both the Chinese women are over 6' tall. Ya gotta be a weird mofo to think these gals 
aren't attractive and serious athletes. This isn't your family picnic VB. 

My guess is the beach handball is another attempt at creating a sport Americans don't win every time. I'm happy the handball women refused the bikinis. They get it. 

Yo, all 6’5” of Alix Klineman representing Manhattan Beach .   Ballers those two.

C5881E63-2555-480C-AE11-F3DDFD811674.jpeg

1 hour ago, El Mariachi said:

Oh yeah, I have no doubt about what kind of condition you need to be in to do ^THAT^ shit......it's just when I initially read the post mentioning rock climbing, my first thought was one of those kid's rock 'walls' that are inside of Chucky Cheese's or indoor malls.....:lol:

You need to find and watch the video of the sick fucker who free-climbed El Capitan!   Serious Stainless Steel Balls!! Much respect!!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan

• Like 1
1 minute ago, El Mariachi said:

I'll check out later when I have a nice soft chair to sit on....and a couple beers in me. For some wierd reason about 25 years ago....I suddenly became allergic to heights. Like to the point of shaking sometimes, losing my balance and spinning out in my head. Fuking bizarre.....but in retrospect.....it was right around the time my rigger buddy Kelly stroked out at the top of a 70 foot mast in Newport, eventually fell out of his bosun's chair.....and ended up being under a dock the next day. Fuker was as strong as an ox and couldn't have been more than 45......but it really fuking hit me.....hard.....

I was 93" up off the water in the 65 foot Boomerang after a bad storm tore the head plate off our delivery main and wound it around the masthead.  One hand to untangle the twisted SS halyards mouse nest, and one to keep my teeth from being bashed out against the wildly waving about masthead.  And again a few years later, in the middle of the Pacific on the way to Hawaii, after Newport-Bermuda, on the new Frer's 80 Boomerang, untangling some twisted up spin halyards at the masthead.  That one was much calmer seas, so a piece of cake.  It was only later on, when I stopped doing this shit, that I developed Vertigo.  Probably some internal safety valve changing my behavior???  Another time,  much younger, at the top of a J24 mast, installing a windex.  I reached down for the drill and the cord had a cut in the insulation, which immediately shocked me totally immobile, until my boss on deck noticed that I was paralyzed, and unplugged the extension cord.  Shit my pants that time!!

Top-range show jumping horses at the Olympics range between $700,000 and $15 million.

And they removed 5.5 metre class boats for being "too expensive"

WTF

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Fuk......

(Btw....93 inches isn't even 8 foot...you f'ng pussy).....:lol:

DOH!!  I meant feet, obviously! :P

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Laurent said:
2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Taiwan Kotex Adjusting team?....

From the writing on their shirt, I would think Korean...

There's a joke there.

Was just having a several beers at the thinktank, and the question arose about who were the very best athletes. 

Guesses were: cyclists, long distance runners, triathletes, swimmers. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Was just having a several beers at the thinktank, and the question arose about who were the very best athletes. 

Oh, the curling teams, for sure! :P  The first time I watched Olympic curling was with my now-wife on a Friday night in a bar (Gilbert’s, Camden.  Sigh.  Town hasn’t been the same since they closed) full of Friday night drunks on a TV with the sound off.  Nobody had any idea what was going on, but that did not prevent lots of loud commentary and cheering when it seemed that something might have happened.  I do, of course, realize that even a low-level competitor could probably wipe the floor with me, but dang they all seem to look like the local Tuesday night candle pin bowling league….

Soccer or basketball.

There was a reporter/journalist from one of Murdoch's shows, who was covering the Olympics in Sydney a few years ago. Well.... He spent most of his time in the bars, and brothels, so really didn't have a clue. The second to last day his editor called him, and said "Do you have a story for us!? We're waiting on you!." The guy stammers that yes, he has a story, just needs to finish it up.

So, he staggers out to the stadium, and the only thing going on is the finals of the track and field events.

He staggers around a bit, and sees a very fit, tall blond guy with big muscles.... PERFECT!  he thinks! The journalist walks up to the guy with his pen. paper, I-phone etc. and says "HI! I'm Tucker Carlson, from FOX news.... Are you a pole vaulter?"

The athlete looks at him for a second and says: "No.... I'm German... But how did you know my name is Walter?".

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Mat Fraser

67FC2E24-FD45-4B11-AD3D-773D12EA4807.jpeg

Was watching mixed doubles ping pong and was struck by how four people could expend that much energy in such a small space. Then I thought how much more space our sports take. 22 guys on a football field. 18 on a baseball diamond. Truly, we are exceptional.

19 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Jfc. Is this what happens when your diet consists solely of Honey Badgers, P-51 Mustangs, Icebreakers and Sequoias?....

“He has been athletic from a young age, learning to swim when he was one, water-skiing at 18 months, downhill when two, and going up the stairs in a handstand when he was five.[“

12][13] 

Decent.

19 minutes ago, blunderfull said:
41 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Jfc. Is this what happens when your diet consists solely of Honey Badgers, P-51 Mustangs, Icebreakers and Sequoias?....

“He has been athletic from a young age, learning to swim when he was one, water-skiing at 18 months, downhill when two, and going up the stairs in a handstand when he was five.[“

12][13] 

Decent.

'Reminded of the two guys in Last of the Breed: American Indian pilot or something breaks out of a prison/gulag and takes off across Siberia on foot tracked by an experienced local employed by the Rooskis. The bad guy had to look like this:

67FC2E24-FD45-4B11-AD3D-773D12EA4807.jpeg.4d265b2230a559c023e16fb98aaa97ef.jpeg

51 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

I've been told for many years that the serious motocross folks are pretty frickin' tough as well.

Then there's the big wave surfers. You don't survive Jaws, Shipstern or Teahupoʻo.....by being a couch potato.....

That comment about the motocross guys reminded me of a pretty funny encounter with my Dad when I was in High School in San Diego. I had started surfing a couple of years earlier when we were living in Long Beach and was pretty active sailing too at the Navy Sailing Club down in Coronado. I dabbled in dirt biking but really didn't identify with that crowd but at Clairemont High School you were either a jock (team sports), a dirtbiker, a surfer or a lowrider. I was on the Tennis team but would rather have been on the school surfing team but that aspiration was way beyond my skill level. My Dad was an avid tennis player and was somewhat proud that I was on the tennis team but La Jolla High just across My Soledad was so far out of our league that our Varsity Tennis played their Junior Varsity and got our butts kicked every time. 

My Dad and I were watching a big MotoCross event on TV one Sunday afternoon and I made the comment about how all round tough, fit and talented athletically motocross riders had to be and he just scoffed. I asked what his derision was and he said that they just hung onto the handle bars and the motorbike did most of the work. He ha played college basketball and even done a short stint in semi-pro ball and he ventured that pro basketball or football players were way tougher than any dirt biker dude. My handball sparring partner had just become the first American Trials rider to ever get a podium at some big European trials event and he could outpace and outlast me hands down so I pointed out to my Dad that football players rarely had to stay in motion more than 10 maybe 15 seconds at a time and with downs and timeouts ect compared to the longer Motocross events not to mention desert motorcycle racing where you go non-stop for what seems like forevever. 

He really knew how to push my buttons and we really got into it to the point that he challenged me to a tennis put up or shut up match right on the spot. Funny thing was that my dear Dad had just undergone a pretty serious operation for hemorrhoids and was pretty doped up still on opioids (Perdodan I think) and I told him that I would not be responsible for his tearing the stitches out of his asshole when I kicked his but on the tennis court which was just across the street from our house. Well that punched his buttons pretty good so h jumped up (with a wince...) and grabbed our tennis rackets out of the TV room corner and threw me mine and told me to get ready for the big showdown! 

I had brought him a glass of icewater about 20 minutes earlier before our tiff and knew he had taken one of his pain pills and doubted he would be too quick on the court but grabbed his bottle of meds and slipped into my pocket as he went to put his tennis shoes on. I was waiting in the courtyard of our duplex warming up taking warmup shots against the brick wall of our compound and could hear him going from room to room looking for the pill bottle. I couldn't help but to give him some heckling about whether he needed to take a nap before our match and he came out pretty riled up and we sprinted across the street and it was game on!

I'll spare you any further details but the old man ran my ass all over the court and I was about ready to tap out when I realized he was in considerable pain considering I was the one chasing the ball from corner to corner and he had hardly left the center of the court. We pretty much wore each other out and it was getting dark and I think he heard the pill bottle in my pocket rattle when we both ended up on the net and he finally just shrugged and smiled and put his hand out and I gave him the painkillers and went over to the water cooler and got him a cup of water to wash the pill down and put an arm around him and we both limped back to the couch and in front of the TV and never said another thing about who was tougher...

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Fuk. Ing. Klassic.....:lol:

Thanks, that really dug up some deep stuff between me and my Dad. I have watched your sharing here about your Dad and family and only wish my Mom had been as cool. I think our Dad's would have been in the same league. BTW, I just got off the phone with my Mom, I asked her if she had ever played strip poker or whatever it was that your Mom and here friends were up to in that photo you posted and I don't think she knew what I was referring to.

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Cross country skiers, biathletes

3 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Cross country skiers, biathletes

Out of the blue, one guy suggested the Iditarod mushers as all around best conditioned. 1100 miles in 20 days and caring for the dogs and somehow you have to sleep.

Ras, your story reminded me of a local club tournament in Austin a million years ago. There was this terrific 40ish player in the finals with a young very upandcoming high school player. It was a close match but it was also 120° and the older guy started to slow down ... then he just stopped and conceded. We all just clapped, thankful for the great play and that we didn't have to resuscitate the guy.  

45 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Ras, your story reminded me of a local club tournament in Austin a million years ago. There was this terrific 40ish player in the finals with a young very upandcoming high school player. It was a close match but it was also 120° and the older guy started to slow down ... then he just stopped and conceded. We all just clapped, thankful for the great play and that we didn't have to resuscitate the guy.  

I'm not sure who conceded that time with my Dad and I. We both just wanted it to be over. He really got into marathon running later and never was stupid to go one on one with him in that arena! Thanks for your comment Blue.

• Like 2

i watched a "women's" skate board discipline metal round yesterday...i use quotes because gold and silver went to 13 year olds and the bronze to a 16 year old!!!:o:lol:...girl children not women!

Call me crazy but this skateboard, and sand handball are made up stuff to fill time.

Just caught what looked like soccer match but on hardwood and you can hold the ball. 

Not for me.

22 hours ago, NaClH20 said:

Oh, the curling teams, for sure! :P  The first time I watched Olympic curling was with my now-wife on a Friday night in a bar (Gilbert’s, Camden.  Sigh.  Town hasn’t been the same since they closed) full of Friday night drunks on a TV with the sound off.  Nobody had any idea what was going on, but that did not prevent lots of loud commentary and cheering when it seemed that something might have happened.  I do, of course, realize that even a low-level competitor could probably wipe the floor with me, but dang they all seem to look like the local Tuesday night candle pin bowling league….

You live in Maine so should understand the need for a winter sport with a drinking tradition (winners buy first round).  It's also one of the few sports (like sailing) where you can get a chance to compete against world class players.

Skateboard requires a lot of skill but doesn't say athletic competition to me and I'm better than Tony Hawk ... or I was. We started with steel wheels on 2x4s. The poly wheels changed the pastime to a sport-like activity but doesn't wash with any track or field event. 

Indeed this whole bunch of crap being presented as sport is -- and someone mentioned earlier -- fills up air time which sells merchandise.

Does a gold medal for skateboarding equal the one for polevaulting in your mind? It doesn't in mine.

I win some money pretty much every week at pool and poker. Where's my medal?

Can you say mush? Guessing this is SO but could be Waikiki. Can almost hear Elvis in the background ... or is that Don Ho? I went from the RB breakwater to Banzai Pipeline in a 24 hour period. B) 

FB_IMG_1591537642713.jpg

What's up with sailing and tennis.....we got a gold in fencing.....with out Errol Fylnn or Tyrome Power....maybe one in Equestrian....why do we suck so bad at Olympic sailing

10 hours ago, chester said:

i watched a "women's" skate board discipline metal round yesterday...i use quotes because gold and silver went to 13 year olds and the bronze to a 16 year old!!!:o:lol:...girl children not women!

I watched as well & was a bit dumbfounded because for some reason I thought the IOC had done away with competitors that young.  

In the same breath I will say I have good bit of respect, a thirty year old version of myself did a bit of riding back in the late eighties.

4 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Just after The War. Late 40's. Dad (far left in that first pic) was a member of the Palos Verdes Surf Club, Manhattan Beach Surf Club....and San O'nofre Surf Clubs. Gawd damn but what a time to be alive in So Cal.......B)

Yes sir.

That pic could also be the cove in PV. As I recall we could see Haggerty's from the beach and guess if the cove was breaking. I wouldn't swap my childhood for anybody else's. 

14 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

I watched as well & was a bit dumbfounded because for some reason I thought the IOC had done away with competitors that young.  

Yeah. The girl Chinese gymnast was too young. 

Do Simone says she feels like the weight of the world is on her shoulders……..we’ll, it’s just not all that critical to most of us. Would like the US Team to do well, Gold would be cool but……if not I’ll wake up the next day and be just fine. Chill young lady.

Maybe she's injured but if not, maybe she bailed the team comp to not hinder the team score. 

My guess is that the media's constant pressure with the camera always in her face wore her down.

She's a kid.

2 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Weird, but in the very first post in this thread, @Blue Crab said that China took a gold medal...

10 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Weird, but in the very first post in this thread, @Blue Crab said that China took a gold medal...

China took the gold in women’s air rifle

26 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

I don’t pretend to understand all the various Competition categories. However, I’ve heard that Bill Shaner’s score is near miraculous. And I think I remember that because of japanese laws, no gunpowder firearms were allowed. Hence the air guns.  

Ahh… according to Google, China’s win was for Women’s 10m airgun. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

The rifle? Or the shorts?......:lol:

Hopefully we don't see JSG breaking out of his daisy dukes.

21 hours ago, Point Break said:

Do Simone says she feels like the weight of the world is on her shoulders……..we’ll, it’s just not all that critical to most of us. Would like the US Team to do well, Gold would be cool but……if not I’ll wake up the next day and be just fine. Chill young lady.

The press is all over that but listening to the GOAT myself I caught she felt she wasn't up to it, that she would let the team down, which means she feels there is someone better on that team whose spot, and chance, she shouldn't take away. After watching her mess up her vault, I kinda suspect she became aware during this event that she's lost it. 25 is downright elderly in this stuff.  

OMG!!!!! I thought this was the summer Olympics.... What's with the fucking snow flakes?

I didn't do very well, and I don't want to lose, so I'll call it mental health, and just quit..... I wasn't aware that, like everyone doesn't get a medal! Who made these rules up anyway?! I'm like so..... OMG! :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Mark K said:

The press is all over that but listening to the GOAT myself I caught she felt she wasn't up to it, that she would let the team down, which means she feels there is someone better on that team whose spot, and chance, she shouldn't take away. After watching her mess up her vault, I kinda suspect she became aware during this event that she's lost it. 25 is downright elderly in this stuff.  

And then suddenly it’s about her mental health…..