Overlooked Maintenance: Ahh Sh*t factors

Having the fun of a diesel fuel tank that recently picked up quite a bit of water from what appears to be a 20+ yr old deck plate O-ring and intense rains. Retrospectively this is something that should have been replaced a while back, they are even in stock at WestMarine. 

What suggestions on commonly overlooked maintenance items? 

I'll put these out: 

• Water level in batteries
  • Charger fuses, and all battery connections
  • Oil level in engine and transmission
  • Coolant level in engine and overflow
  • Tape on rigging cotter pins 
  • Lifeline and Standing Rigging corrosion check

My recent AH Sh*t moment was experienced by my son on a short cruise. The head completely stopped up and he assumed something inappropriate had been flushed.

The bottom line was that the hose were so calcified that the opening in the 1 1/2 inch hose was down to about 3/4 inch. 

So replace all of the head hoses every ten years.

27 minutes ago, Sunset2 said:

This was the main sheet attachment to the traveler on my first boat (28-ft).

The boom-side shackle looked similar.

It was a low price, quick purchase w no survey and I had been sailing along happily for a few weeks when I finally noticed this (:-)

Everything else was ok, I loved the boat and it was a good purchase, but this could have ruined my day in all sorts of bad ways ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Here is my list:

1. Everything below the waterline. 
2. Everything above the waterline. 
3. The mooring. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Borracho said:

Here is my list:

1. Everything below the waterline. 
2. Everything above the waterline. 
3. The mooring. 

and that's why it gets overlooked....

15 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Having the fun of a diesel fuel tank that recently picked up quite a bit of water from what appears to be a 20+ yr old deck plate O-ring and intense rains. Retrospectively this is something that should have been replaced a while back, they are even in stock at WestMarine. 

I'll put these out: 

Don’t forget to change the filters on your spark plugs!  

CBD596D6-95BD-4FEC-8565-12D525D55234.png

• Like 3
17 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

I'll put these out: 

crimped wire connections

Everytime I start our aux I check the raw water, coolant oil, fuel level and racors.  It's a simple two minute routine that's a hold over from being a marine engineer.  Never push go without the bare minimum.  Also makes you look at some other stuff in the process.  One thing that got buy us with the convenience sail stuff is a good once over that you get flaking and stowing. The jib on the furler sun cover stitches were toast should have caught bit sooner but out on the ten ft bowsprit it looked fine.  Also cycling thru hull valves is some we should do alot more but rarely do.  If you are actively using your boat you tend to be alot better at catching stuff.  The worse damage we have had is sitting bat the dock through shitty winter storms and something chaffing etc.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:48 AM, Sunset2 said:

My recent AH Sh*t moment was experienced by my son on a short cruise. The head completely stopped up and he assumed something inappropriate had been flushed.

The bottom line was that the hose were so calcified that the opening in the 1 1/2 inch hose was down to about 3/4 inch. 

Would recommend soaking hoses and head discharge fittings in white vinegar for a few hours. We liveaboard and do this every few years. Head hoses are expensive so keen to get as much life out of them as possible.

On 7/26/2021 at 2:20 AM, Borracho said:

3. The mooring. 

Have an old boat on a mooring, remembered one day that it was a few years since it was serviced so called the mooring guy. He called back a few days later, the mooring shackle broke as he was lifting it, had to get a diver.

Moral - the best time to do something is (before) the first time you think of it.

• Like 2
On 7/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, Parma said:

water level in the batteries. Such a pain I went with gels.

WTF!!! Watering batteries is a pain? I do that task with a cocktail in one hand. All is lost!

8 hours ago, DriftingWithoutGrifting said:

As an extra bonus, it always makes the cocktails so special?

Don’t ever drink the battery water. Fish pee in it. 

Halyard redirection saddle (used when converting hanked headsail to roller furled headsail - see picture) may need to be inspected! The previous owners of the yacht I just bought had installed a brand new dyneema headsail halyard. On my most recent sail, the halyard failed. So yesterday I went up top to fix the problem. It seems at some stage the halyard had been wire. The wire had worn a groove right through the lower part of the saddle, turning it into a perfect v-jammer that cut through the new halyard sheath and also prevented the halyard from running up (but still allowed it to run down). Why the hell would someone replace the halyard without fixing this???

Roller Furler Masthead fitting.jpg

Ensuring halyards aren't (too) twisted up inside the mast.  They tend to let everybody know they're twisted in the middle of complex spin maneuvers when you'd really like the spin and headsail halyards and topping lift and butt end of the pole to move freely.  

Bonus:  Sheeves below the masthead (like our topping lift, which is 18" down) may not be standardized and installed square.  Our aftermarket fitment was in a hole that looked like it was cut with a jacknife (a rhomboid shape) and the block with a too-small sheeve was split.  Oh yeah, that'll stop a VPC topping lift from moving... Our foredeck crew squared the hole with a file but we're keeping our eye on the sheeve/block.