Stack Pack vs LazyJacks vs Nothing vs Option 4

I just finished putting the main on my new (to me) J/95 and then of course furling it afterward. It’s a bigger sail than I’ve ever had to manage before and with just two people, flaking it was a bear. The big, crisp slippery sail has no interest in staying on the boom while trying to flake it. I know a stack pack is anathema on a J Boat, but today while wrestling this anaconda a stack pack seemed like a good idea; but at the end of the day having that bag seems out of place on a J/Boat, even a cruising model. Since the main is fully battened, I thought lazyjacks might be a reasonable compromise.

Any thoughts from those of you who have been there/done that? It would be good to know if there are other options before I go drilling away in the boom.

I have a J35, bigger main than yours. I went with slugs on the sail instead of bolt rope. 

as the sail comes down alternate folds along the luff between the slugs. 

Once it's down it's pretty easy to pull on the leach and the sail practically flakes itself on the boom. 

If you plan to race the boat, I'd avoid any of the lazy mans add-ons... more shit to break and foul other shit on your boat. 

If you're just out cruising around ... have at it.. 

I put lazy jacks and a mast track with cars(I used Tides track). Love it. Easy up,easy down. No attached sail cover, just use the normal one.
I don’t understand the ‘can’t race with lazy jacks’ logic. There are multiple lines,  shrouds, etc up there, a couple more 3mil dyneemas aren’t going to make any difference. 

I've got a Tides track, full length battens and the Dutchman system on my J/32.  Even when the main was new the sail stays reasonably organized on the boom and it's a fairly easy one person job to put the sail ties and cover on.

2 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

I put lazy jacks and a mast track with cars(I used Tides track). Love it. Easy up,easy down. No attached sail cover, just use the normal one.
I don’t understand the ‘can’t race with lazy jacks’ logic. There are multiple lines,  shrouds, etc up there, a couple more 3mil dyneemas aren’t going to make any difference. 

It's not that ya can't race with that stuff. I just prefer to have less shit up the rig that can go wrong. 

15 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I have a J35, bigger main than yours. I went with slugs on the sail instead of bolt rope. 

as the sail comes down alternate folds along the luff between the slugs. 

Once it's down it's pretty easy to pull on the leach and the sail practically flakes itself on the boom. 

If you plan to race the boat, I'd avoid any of the lazy mans add-ons... more shit to break and foul other shit on your boat. 

If you're just out cruising around ... have at it.. 

So you drop the main then flake it? I have to say that we are struggling to get a good fast flake unless we have more people to pull and coax the sail into flakes but we are babying the halyard down as we go. 

What is your process? 

13 hours ago, inneedofadvice said:

The biggest problem in racing with lazyjacks deployed, is trees.. Both leafed variety and cross trees.. Over the years I've see many boat come to an abrupt halt when their very loose topping lift caught on a tree or a cross tree, let alone with lazy jacks.

Though I have been towed down river by a 40ft yacht whose sail got pierced by our mast crane when they went past us sails normally just slide past....

Yes we do sail close together and close to the river bank.. 6 inches is a long way apart around here.

it's why I'm looking at ways to draw the lazy jacks hard onto the mast and boom..

3 hours ago, danstanford said:

So you drop the main then flake it? I have to say that we are struggling to get a good fast flake unless we have more people to pull and coax the sail into flakes but we are babying the halyard down as we go. 

What is your process? 

the process is in my earlier post. 

3 hours ago, The Q said:

it's why I'm looking at ways to draw the lazy jacks hard onto the mast and boom..

We "furl" the attached cover and pull the lazy jacks to the gooseneck after hoisting. 

Our 109 has dyneema lazy jacks with no blocks, just eyes. The top is attached to the mast, not spreaders, and with two horn cleats on the mast near the gooseneck the lines can be brought forward and made very tight. There would be no way for anything to foul the lazy jacks with out also taking out the shrouds and halyards.

Give it a season.

I think I manage just fine solo on the J/111... frustrating at times but you'll learn some techniques that makes it easier. 90% of the time it looks better than what the full crew can manage :D

Our main is on cars (Antal). Process: blow outhaul (to not put strain on sail when boom falls), blow halyard, and then get proper alternate folds by standing in front of the mast. Always start on the same side (ex starboard). Then get the whole sail to leeward and grab 3 sail-ties. It should be fairly easy to replicate the folds at the aft end of the boom. The first 2-3 folds are the hardest, but after getting them tied up, the rest should be very easy.

• Like 4

If your boom strut allows it, cranking the mainsheet on tight to get the boom low in the cockpit and not rolling as much will also ease the process of getting the flakes in at the aft end.

2 hours ago, Blur said:

Give it a season.

I think I manage just fine solo on the J/111... frustrating at times but you'll learn some techniques that makes it easier. 90% of the time it looks better than what the full crew can manage :D

Our main is on cars (Antal). Process: blow outhaul (to not put strain on sail when boom falls), blow halyard, and then get proper alternate folds by standing in front of the mast. Always start on the same side (ex starboard). Then get the whole sail to leeward and grab 3 sail-ties. It should be fairly easy to replicate the folds at the aft end of the boom. The first 2-3 folds are the hardest, but after getting them tied up, the rest should be very easy.

Good! (I dream of having an Antal track) 

I can add two tips. At the luff, between the tack and first slider I wrote PUSH and PULL so the first flake goes the correct way. The I marked the leech with Sharpie dots to indicate the points that are to be at the boom. 

Huge 55x17 mainsail made easy. Can’t imagine giving up and fitting lazy jacks or some floppy bag thing. If conditions are blustery I put in all three reefs as the main is lowered. No big deal. 

We have a J/110.   When we bought the boat in 2008 it had a main with simply a boltrope.   It had been raced exclusively.    We bought it as a family racer/cruiser and it was quickly apparent that management of the mainsail needed to be improved for our marriage to survive.   We bought a new Mainsail over the 2nd winter and when doing so installed a Tidestrack with slides on our fully battened new mainsail.   I installed lazy jacks as well, I think I just used the Harken kit.   The lazy jacks are easily pulled forward if so desired when racing, but I have found no performance difference in leaving them deployed versus stowing them forward.   Over the years, the sail has been 'trained' to flake itself and within a season two people can flake the sail very well and very easily.