Jump to content

What's with the lack or boats for sale?


Recommended Posts

Looking for a 20-30 foot USED center console.  Boat Trader finds only one in the state of CT under 15 grand?   I saw a 17' older Mako at a marina recently, cleaned and polished with a trailer for like 20 grand, WTF???

Friend bought a very decent Limestone 24 with no trailer from his neighbor for 5 grand 2 years ago!!  The guy just wanted his yard bill to go away on a boat he no longer used, and he didn't need the money otherwise.  Why can't I find deals like that??....

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they weren’t sold as new boats 10-20 years ago, they can’t be sold as used boats today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is, around here, people stash the title someplace, and can't find it when it comes time to sell. No title, no value. Take the motor off and scrap it. It's cheaper than going through the BS to re-title a boat.

 Used to be you could salvage a boat after a storm..... Not anymore.

 There's a pile of boats on the salt marshes in CT.... DEP regulations make it unattractive to salvage them.

 Billy, if you want a boat, PM me. I have a friend who owns a marina in Guilford. I just talked to her yesterday. I think there's a couple of boats there that could be had for a reasonable amount. I think there's a Mackenzie Cuttyhunk that could be had for very little... Might need a little work on the decking....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Looking for a 20-30 foot USED center console.  Boat Trader finds only one in the state of CT under 15 grand?   I saw a 17' older Mako at a marina recently, cleaned and polished with a trailer for like 20 grand, WTF???

Friend bought a very decent Limestone 24 with no trailer from his neighbor for 5 grand 2 years ago!!  The guy just wanted his yard bill to go away on a boat he no longer used, and he didn't need the money otherwise.  Why can't I find deals like that??....

Microeconomics.  Law of Supply and Demand.  Seller's market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, floating dutchman said:

Covid. nobody can travel and are looking for things to do close to home, like buy a cheap boat and go sailing.

Eggzackery.  Here in NZ I've been idly trawling through TradeMe (google it...) over the years.  All the cool boats that I would have liked to own over the past few years have been snapped up.  Kiwis can't go anywhere so they're buying boats - well, yachts anyway, not sure about gin palaces but I'd suspect it's the same there

Link to post
Share on other sites

last summer we were looking for a lake boat.  Every boat that popped up on Craig's List was sold before I could even respond.  Missed 3 possible boats and I was replying just a few hours after the listing hit.  Finally picked up a Chaparral 23 with less than 10 hours on it.  it was more than I wanted to spend but it was brand new and came with a slip and trailer.  I have heard of guys walking the dock in our marina asking people if they want to sell their boats for cash.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

A lot of the boat factories have shut down temporarily due to lack of materials. So people are buying the used ones like crazy.

I have seen similar when trying to buy a car recently.  Not many available and premium prices. Fact of life and times I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZeroTheHero said:

last summer we were looking for a lake boat.  Every boat that popped up on Craig's List was sold before I could even respond.  Missed 3 possible boats and I was replying just a few hours after the listing hit.  Finally picked up a Chaparral 23 with less than 10 hours on it.  it was more than I wanted to spend but it was brand new and came with a slip and trailer.  I have heard of guys walking the dock in our marina asking people if they want to sell their boats for cash.

While working on my boat in a boatyard this spring in Virginia, we had guys stopping by every couple weeks looking for used boats to buy.  They were coming from Florida.

Marine version of We Buy Ugly Houses

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly related, I've recently bought a mountain bike for my son, the shortage of new bikes kinda took me by surprise.

Some shops were: nothing of what you want in his size, don't know when we are able to get new stock in.

Even the second hand market was slim pickings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Looking for a 20-30 foot USED center console.  Boat Trader finds only one in the state of CT under 15 grand?   I saw a 17' older Mako at a marina recently, cleaned and polished with a trailer for like 20 grand, WTF???

Friend bought a very decent Limestone 24 with no trailer from his neighbor for 5 grand 2 years ago!!  The guy just wanted his yard bill to go away on a boat he no longer used, and he didn't need the money otherwise.  Why can't I find deals like that??....

I know of a Hunter 28.5 with great sails/Bottom

so far this year All Bullets except last Wednesday took a 2nd

after the last beerCan it's Going away Juan Way or another

I can get you all info if interested, owner Not trying to get as much as he can

He Want's Out of it so he can get a single hand boat

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DA-WOODY said:

I know of a Hunter 28.5 with great sails/Bottom

so far this year All Bullets except last Wednesday took a 2nd

after the last beerCan it's Going away Juan Way or another

I can get you all info if interested, owner Not trying to get as much as he can

He Want's Out of it so he can get a single hand boat

 

Woody, Woody, Woody!  I think you forgot to use the purple sarcasm font?

When I race, it's on OPB's.  Looking for a 20-30 foot center console, or small cuddy, with outboard, or I/O.  Plus I am 3,000 miles Nor'east of you....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing that is going on in used car market and rv market.  Demand is out stripping supply.

 

I just traded in a 4 year old jeep renegade with 100k miles on it and a major accident in it's history for $4k more than I should have and got $11k for it.

I hunted for months for the right replacement.vehicle and when one was available I snatched it up.  Cars are being sold before they even hit the lot.  

 

Boats and RVs have lot life of hours or sometimes a week and at gone.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Woody, Woody, Woody!  I think you forgot to use the purple sarcasm font?

When I race, it's on OPB's.  Looking for a 20-30 foot center console, or small cuddy, with outboard, or I/O.  Plus I am 3,000 miles Nor'east of you....

Snot what I wood call a Racer

likely could be had for < That Much

Sail the bastard around (or spend the bucks on the P Canal)

 

but ya closer is King

what happened to that Fixer GUNBOAT they towed in ???

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, peragrin said:

Same thing that is going on in used car market and rv market.  Demand is out stripping supply.

 

I just traded in a 4 year old jeep renegade with 100k miles on it and a major accident in it's history for $4k more than I should have and got $11k for it.

I hunted for months for the right replacement.vehicle and when one was available I snatched it up.  Cars are being sold before they even hit the lot.  

 

Boats and RVs have lot life of hours or sometimes a week and at gone.

 

 

Planes too...  we just liquidated many of club's aircraft that were going to need some upgrades done to them soon.  We're going to the leased aircraft model for the future..  More plane, less exposure.

One was a 1985 152 that we bought for $10K in 2015.  Low time air-frame, run out engine..  hung a new engine on her and added a IFR GPS unit...  All in (because we know a few folks) for about $25K...  Flew the wings off it these past couple of year accumulating abut 2550 hours and it made the club about $10k.  Listed it on Trade-A-Plane for $40K, and had 20 calls in 30 minutes.   They guy it sold to took sight unseen for the asking price and asked the we get it up to the Hayward, CA airport..  Turns out it was going to get taken apart put in a container and shipped somewhere.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am realizing that it's just about everything, everywhere!  Supply systems crashed during Covid, and cannot be ramped back up any faster than it is, which is very slow.  I run the Tool Crib for the Machine Repair Dept. in a large manufacturing company.  Over 200,000 different parts covering thousands of square feet.  We used to be able to get spare parts overnight, for machines down, losing production.  Nowadays, nobody stocks parts, you can't reach people on the phone, and everything we need quickly takes at least a week or three to make. Cost to reroof our garage was $5,500 pre Covid, now it's 2 or 3 times that.   I was told that lumber futures are nearly crashing, so my roof will make it through another winter without leaking into the apartment below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I am realizing that it's just about everything, everywhere!  Supply systems crashed during Covid, and cannot be ramped back up any faster than it is, which is very slow.  I run the Tool Crib for the Machine Repair Dept. in a large manufacturing company.  Over 200,000 different parts covering thousands of square feet.  We used to be able to get spare parts overnight, for machines down, losing production.  Nowadays, nobody stocks parts, you can't reach people on the phone, and everything we need quickly takes at least a week or three to make. Cost to reroof our garage was $5,500 pre Covid, now it's 2 or 3 times that.   I was told that lumber futures are nearly crashing, so my roof will make it through another winter without leaking into the apartment below.

Call Amazon...  someone has to pay for Bezos rocket

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Call Amazon...  someone has to pay for Bezos rocket

 

Hell, there's no problem with their supply chain, most of my stuff comes the next day, and shipping is FREE! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

woude you licke some cheese?                                                 :)

 

Not whining, just stating obvious facts....

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
57 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

woude you licke some cheese?                                                 :)

Not whining, just stating obvious facts....

I no.... juste haiveng some fun withe you...........                     :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...