WTF iPhones on Lasers at the Olympics??

Watching the Lasers yesterday I noticed the large number of bits and pieces of hardware that now seem to be stuck on. Particularly, there appears to be an iPhone attached to the bow of all of them....

1443964946_Screenshot2021-07-27at9_51_18AM.thumb.png.d2d5ab0196ef9f30d246022d93aa7738.png

Later I saw some footage that appeared to have been shot from the iPhone.

Does anybody know any more about this? Like, do they stream footage from all the boats or get it off the phone later? Are they using them for position reporting on the broadcast stream? Is this a piece of off the shelf software? AND, if there was a convenient bracket for an iPhone, would you mount your phone on the bow of a Laser?

Either which way, this is some clever shit.

It's an evolution of the big ugly box they had in London. Gradually gets better - hopefully. It'll be a phone-type hardware with GPS, video, etc, and a big ass battery, all waterproofed and 'tethered' to the IOC broadcasting overlords.

• Like 1

49ers have had "moblie phones with video function" on them for the last 5-10 years.    At the Arhust Wolrd's in the Gold Fleet, they strap them each side of the boom and the director can grab footage off any of the trasmitions at will and it was live.   Possibly upwards of 60-70% of the fleet had them.

Pretty old tech now, but it works, its very light and beats the hell out of the old "head-cams" which where about 5kgs with a backpack and you somtimes had a hamerhead bolted to one side to compensate the "lipstick" on the otherside, a 5/16" bolt in your ear was not much fun.

And it (the 1990's head cams) where not live, it was recorded to tape (in the backpack).

jB

• Like 5

I bet it is cheaper than the purpose-made hardware. I wish they would use the wide-angle lens sometimes. Especially on the 49ers where the crew is pretty close to the camera.

17 hours ago, JulianB said:

its very light and beats the hell out of the old "head-cams" which where about 5kgs with a backpack

The boom mounted cameras are too far! The don't capture the colorful language ...

On 7/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, martin 'hoff said:

The boom mounted cameras are too far! The don't capture the colorful language ...

On the w470 the other day I did get to hear someone on GBR I did get to hear one of them say "fucken' 'ell"... Was nice to hear a bit of humanity after expressionless finishes (long before the medal race) and Gary's incessant droning. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, barney said:

I bet it is cheaper than the purpose-made hardware. I wish they would use the wide-angle lens sometimes. Especially on the 49ers where the crew is pretty close to the camera.

And one medal race - can't remember which - where they insisted on showing boom cam footage in the pre-start. So you had absolutely no context of where the main competitor was. Sure as hell weren't going to get any from the commentator who I subsequently realised was talking rubbish

I don't think that the sound is primarily captured by the onboard iPhones. Judging from my own GoPro footages, the soundtrack would be an annoying mix of ratchet block, wind, carbon squeeking and foils humming, with very little conversation.

There were a few dudes with big-ass microphones on powerboats.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, barney said:

I don't think that the sound is primarily captured by the onboard iPhones. Judging from my own GoPro footages, the soundtrack would be an annoying mix of ratchet block, wind, carbon squeeking and foils humming, with very little conversation.

There were a few dudes with big-ass microphones on powerboats.

Nah, there were some bits where you could, in fact, hear all the boat-y noises and Olympic sailors talk a lot!

Whatever they were they clearly contributed to some fantastic coverage - the SAP tracker feed was terrific- so much information shared live - and the footage was at times compelling.  The audio certainly  had its moments ... those of us who have sailed Laser / ILCAs in Australia had wry smiles as Wearn unloaded on day one a couple of times as he struggled ... ;-)    Also was great hearing the two handed crews communicating on the downwinds especially ...

• Like 3