Glomar Explorer documentary

Anybody who ever spent time in the SF Bay, drove over the Benicia Bridge, or sailed the Delta ditch run back in the day remembers this giant ship anchored in the mothball Fleet. A lot of rumors and mystery about this ship back then.

Azorean: the raising of k-129 is a documentary on Amazon Prime TV.

Sunken Russian sub, CIA , Howard Hughes, amazing 70s technology.

If somebody made a movie out of all this, you wouldn't believe it.

Old news - there was a documentary on it years ago - probably on PBS.

One of those things like thinking up the SR71 in the late 50's - how did anyone even think it was possible?

And then they just did it.

22 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Old news - there was a documentary on it years ago - probably on PBS.

One of those things like thinking up the SR71 in the late 50's - how did anyone even think it was possible?

And then they just did it.

Although the post WWII period into the 1960s and 1970s were often turbulent times, there was a sprit and energy that was unique.  The moon landing was probably the apogee of all of the innovation and amazing things that happened during that time.  America still made shit back then.

Ahh, the good old days.  When the men were men and the sheep were nervous.  

• Like 2

Yeah the good ol days and now the GOP now just calls Vlad.

The good ol days when Russia was the enemy and covert meant you kept a secret like your life depended on it, doesn’t seem that long ago, my how times change.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There's an ad ... likely a Northrup ad, showing the shadow of a stealth plane but no plane in the hanger. Comment: this is impossible ... til it isn't.

We're still exceptional in tech. Politics? Not so much. 

I’ve a friend who was a steel worker aboard the Glomar Ex. Redwood City,  when the sub was de-constructed. He talked a bit about it, while saying, “it didn’t officially exist”

On 7/27/2021 at 1:02 AM, Dorado said:

Anybody who ever spent time in the SF Bay, drove over the Benicia Bridge, or sailed the Delta ditch run back in the day remembers this giant ship anchored in the mothball Fleet. A lot of rumors and mystery about this ship back then.

Azorean: the raising of k-129 is a documentary on Amazon Prime TV.

Sunken Russian sub, CIA , Howard Hughes, amazing 70s technology.

If somebody made a movie out of all this, you wouldn't believe it.

"We can neither confirm nor deny" this video is available on Amazon Prime TV...:D

To me,the more interesting piece of that story is how the US knew the sub had imploded via sound devices in the Pacific.

That happened in 1974.

Fast forward to  2014 when Malaysia Airlines MH370 disappeared without a trace.

Hard to believe with 40 years to refine their technology to better hear subs as they all got more quiet that NOBODY (US, Austraila, Japan, UK, China, Russia) did not hear that plane smacking the water.

At the time, there was speculation that certain countries knew where it hit but did not want to "show their hand" intelligence wise as to just how well they could monitor the Pacific.

Been seven years and nobody was has said "Go look here" or even done the same via some "expert's" wild ass conjecture to trigger a search pattern.

Remember the Titantic search was a ruse to cover for a secret navy investigation of 2 of their subs.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/titanic-discovery-classified-nuclear-sub/index.html

Maybe they know it is in a trench so deep they cannot access it so it is not worth showing their hand.  Or they are keeping mum until they can use it as a cover story to check out some other sunken sub.

But someone has to have heard that plane auger in when they rewound the tapes for the time of flight and checked every listening device for such a short period of time...

I doubt that the Indian Ocean has the same sound detection coverage as the Atlantic or Pacific. Not nearly as many subs to chase there.

The countries bordering that ocean might not have the budget to do it or the willingness to share.

1 hour ago, ropetrick said:

I doubt that the Indian Ocean has the same sound detection coverage as the Atlantic or Pacific. \

I'd be willing to bet there are pretty good sensors at/around Diego Garcia...

1 minute ago, sledracr said:
1 hour ago, ropetrick said:

I doubt that the Indian Ocean has the same sound detection coverage as the Atlantic or Pacific. \

I'd be willing to bet there are pretty good sensors at/around Diego Fuckeng Garcia...

fixte..........                           :)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, sledracr said:

I am sure there are.

But there are not the multiple long strings that allow you to triangulate and locate contacts.

The doc I watched recently was on a DTV channel and had a twist ending - that there were 2 ships built, the sub had sunk about 400nm away from where the Soviets thought it had so the decoy pulled up the sub unsuccessfully as it broke and only the non secretive section was raised while the primary ship did raise the entire sub with all the good bits intact.  It was late at night so I might have just dreamed this.  Either way having Howard Hughes involved was a bit of brilliance. 

46 minutes ago, sledracr said:

Not to mention the undersea tunnel.

44 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte..........                           :)

DFG Baby!

3 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

To me,the more interesting piece of that story is how the US knew the sub had imploded via sound devices in the Pacific.

That happened in 1974.

Hard to believe with 40 years to refine their technology to better hear subs as they all got more quiet that NOBODY (US, Austraila, Japan, UK, China, Russia) did not hear that plane smacking the water.

At the time, there was speculation that certain countries knew where it hit but did not want to "show their hand" intelligence wise as to just how well they could monitor the Pacific.

Been seven years and nobody was has said "Go look here" or even done the same via some "expert's" wild ass conjecture to trigger a search pattern.

Remember the Titantic search was a ruse to cover for a secret navy investigation of 2 of their subs.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/titanic-discovery-classified-nuclear-sub/index.html

Maybe they know it is in a trench so deep they cannot access it so it is not worth showing their hand.  Or they are keeping mum until they can use it as a cover story to check out some other sunken sub.

But someone has to have heard that plane auger in when they rewound the tapes for the time of flight and checked every listening device for such a short period of time...

In the low freq spectrum a thin skinned aluminum plane splashing on the surface is next best thing to nothing compared to a great big thick-ass steel pressure vessel imploding, but moreover, everybody knows MH370 was taken by the Greys from Diego Garcia. Sooner of later everybody gets sick of a pure fish diet, have to switch it up every now and then.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

That happened in 1974.

The difference in the sound waves of a sub imploding and the aluminum tube of a plane going splat are a lot different. 

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The doc I watched recently was on a DTV channel and had a twist ending - that there were 2 ships built, the sub had sunk about 400nm away from where the Soviets thought it had so the decoy pulled up the sub unsuccessfully as it broke and only the non secretive section was raised while the primary ship did raise the entire sub with all the good bits intact.  It was late at night so I might have just dreamed this.  Either way having Howard Hughes involved was a bit of brilliance. 

I've seen & read several recountings of the Glomar story - none of them said anything about the sub being successfully raised - one of the claws broke and it was dropped.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've seen & read several recountings of the Glomar story - none of them said anything about the sub being successfully raised - one of the claws broke and it was dropped.

The semi-official story is that they got the front half.

The Russians probably know the truth but we never will.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

officalley, the clawes diddente existe...........                :)

Sure they did!  They were designed specifically to harvest super-valuable manganese nodules off the deep-ocean floor....

• Like 1