• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have doubts about the AC in Cork. The human constitution is just not designed to handle unrelenting waves of Irish hospitality. We are not taking about the 505 worlds at HISC before the club was mod

Cork Harbour is in the People’s Republic of Cork which is an entirely different state (of mind) to the rest of the country! As much as I would love to see the AC come to Cork I’d have to ask why is

Let me get this straight: so, the Irish government would have to front expenses for 99MNZ$ = 60M€, plus forking out 60M€ more to a foreign, private entity with a record of dodgy accounting. This, whil

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Has anyone here ever been to Cork?

The closest for me were just views when transiting through Dublin airport for flight changes. Looked nice and green, the water too? 

I spent quite a few days in Cork and surrounds like Kinsale. Must confess that the city itself was unremarkable but not unpleasant. Kinsale coastal area was pretty beautiful and we enjoyed unusually beautiful baking hot blue sky weather that made it feel like a better Med than the Med - much to the disgust of my poor English mate who had married an Irish lass and had endured years of awful weather. "It's fucking never like this mate! It's normally miserable!"

Kinsale Yacht Club - nice spot, infrastructure(?) not sure 
https://www.kyc.ie/

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The closest for me were just views when transiting through Dublin airport for flight changes. Looked nice and green, the water too? 

Nice and green? 

Ha, ha. I wonder if that's why it's referred to as the Emerald Isle? ;-)

18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

^ Yes, Cork could actually be kinda fun. 

Funny.. 

Almost as good as a Geordie. ;-)

7 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Probably a fair few of us having done Cork Week. I don’t get it myself, can’t see it being big enough to cope but then it was a very long time ago I was last there.

There is a large disused ex-naval dockyard area inside the harbour. When there were sportsboats in Cork Week, they brought in a building-type crane and craned them in there. Maybe they have that in mind. It's a bit godforsaken, is not charming Crosshaven.

The harbour is maybe big enough - just - in WSW-SW which, OK, is the most common direction. Otherwise it's surely too small. Outside is proper Atlantic Ocean which isn't necessarily a happy place for AC75s. 

But if they ran it in Cork, I dare say I'd go. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

There is a large disused ex-naval dockyard area inside the harbour. When there were sportsboats in Cork Week, they brought in a building-type crane and craned them in there. Maybe they have that in mind. It's a bit godforsaken, is not charming Crosshaven.

The harbour is maybe big enough - just - in WSW-SW which, OK, is the most common direction. Otherwise it's surely too small. Outside is proper Atlantic Ocean which isn't necessarily a happy place for AC75s. 

But if they ran it in Cork, I dare say I'd go. 

"which isn't necessarily a happy place for AC75s"    Understatement of the month for that place. Effing wet and bouncy in summer. Best place is the RCYC bar "Nice to sail at The bar has good coffee and drinks"

OK, I was talking about Haulbowline Island, which was the original home of the Royal Cork YC. Sounds like they plan to be based instead at Cobh (for non-Gaelic speakers, pronounced Cove).

I love that area, I'm just not sure its right for the AC. Presumably they mean to run the event in the harbour, which is pretty much surrounded by fairly high ground. So the wind is somewhat affected. Plenty of watching points I guess.

I do remember (partly) a guiness sponsored party there with mixed feelings. Free guiness all night had a significant impact on my constitution

11 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, many a time, have sailed there too.

I'm on holiday in West Cork next week for a few days, hope the weather holds up lol

11 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes. Cork Week in it's glory years, when it was a huge meet-up for the British sailing community and you'd keep meeting people you hadn't seen in years. You could walk into the Royal Cork and buy a drink and a meal, try that in most clubs in Cowes Week. I still have trouble figuring how there's a club called Royal Cork in an area that was a Republican stronghold but Irish friends just shrug at that.

I wonder how this all plays out with the public?  Did the govt of Cork decide on their own to throw (yet to be known) millions of pounds offer to TNZ to be the sailing venue for the next AC cycle on the hope that it will have some fantastic financial return?  Did the public have a say in the matter on where their money is spent?  Seems like a lot of red flags, especially when the defender didn't take a generous offer from their home country and the infrastructure is already in place.

1 minute ago, yoyo said:

Did the govt of Cork decide on their own to throw (yet to be known) millions of pounds offer to TNZ to be the sailing venue for the next AC cycle 

Apparently not. Read Cube's link above.

1 hour ago, 45Roller said:

Yes, many a time, have sailed there too.

I'm on holiday in West Cork next week for a few days, hope the weather holds up lol

Good luck with that!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Apparently not. Read Cube's link above.

Yup and also read link to Damian Foxhalls comments Damian Foxall Welcomes Ireland's America's Cup Bid But Advises Pursuit Wth "Eyes Wide Open" (afloat.ie)

Must be some higher level, long term plan from the govt when they are willing to go all in knowing up front that its a gamble they are potentially willing to lose money on.

44 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Good luck with that!

Thanks mate, there is an old saying here "if you don't like the weather in Ireland, wait 10 minutes" we should get a few minutes of sun at least :-D

4 hours ago, Cube said:

6 - 8 teams - Dalts is always over-selling to get more funding.  NZ, Ineos, LR + potentially the Swiss, AM and the t-shirt team NYYC-S&S.  Make sure the "performance bond" remains in the protocol if you are shooting for 8 teams.

2 hours ago, 45Roller said:

Thanks mate, there is an old saying here "if you don't like the weather in Ireland, wait 10 minutes" we should get a few minutes of sun at least :-D

Also, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

When sailing, there are some weather conditions no choice of clothes can possibly make you comfortable

Teams cannot arrive into Cork and train for 9 months.  If Cork is selected, the teams will arrive in May 2024 and compete during the summer months.  (Maybe May is even too early from a temperature perspective).  This would be like NZ coming into Bermuda - arrive at the start of the competition and then leave. 

I was particularly thinking of a 40+ wind I sailed in not far from Cobh that seemed to veer every time we went past a headland so it was on the nose all the way up the west coast of Ireland. 

That was in the summer month of July. Definitely not comfortable

39 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Teams cannot arrive into Cork and train for 9 months.  

Yes they could. UK dinghy sailors manage to sail 12 months a year. Ireland is a bit warmer (and a lot wetter).

27 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Yes they could. UK dinghy sailors manage to sail 12 months a year. Ireland is a bit warmer (and a lot wetter).

We have dinghy sailing here all year round, winter series are very popular nationwide, not sure about the warmer bit tho :-D

21 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Ignorant question: Is Cork in the EU?

The Republic of Ireland is in the EU. As a sovereign country she is an independent from the UK member. 

The big Brexit issue is the open border to Northern Ireland, laid out in the Good Friday Agreement. Google it, it's a sad mess. 

• Like 3

You are right but let's not debate it here, there's a never-ending Brexit thread on the main Sailing forum for those who want to. I know I made a comment myself, kind of regretting it.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The Republic of Ireland is in the EU. As a sovereign country she is an independent from the UK member. 

The big Brexit issue is the open border to Northern Ireland, laid out in the Good Friday Agreement. Google it, it's a sad mess. 

Oh god yes it is, we’re all tired of it here in Ireland 

Sounds from one of the articles like there is an ‘Ireland 2040’ fund already in the works and players in this story are gunning to use the Cork-related part of it for fast-tracking it using AC37 as their argument. A touch like what the politicos did in Auckland with the Viaduct. 

My guess is that Cork is the only real player in this besides the Auckland possibility. 

A reason this question about who’s in and who’s not in the EU grabbed my attention is because of this: 

I booked tix today via British Airways, transiting through LHR Terminal 5 to another plane, and am worried about if that means a 5 day mandatory isolation requirement upon arrival in Rome. Through any EU country, via Dublin on RyanAir for example, it would be no concern.

Does anyone here know if simply switching planes in the UK means quarantining in the EU upon arrival there? 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

A reason this question about who’s in and who’s not in the EU grabbed my attention is because of this: 

I booked tix today via British Airways, transiting through LHR Terminal 5 to another plane, and am worried about if that means a 5 day mandatory isolation requirement upon arrival in Rome. Through any EU country, via Dublin on RyanAir for example, it would be no concern.

Does anyone here know if simply switching planes in the UK means quarantining in the EU upon arrival there? 

Fully vaccinated U.S. and EU citizens will no longer have to quarantine when traveling to England

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/28/no-quarantine-for-vaccinated-us-citizens-traveling-to-england.html

Doesn't really answer the question, SR was asking about quarantining in Rome, not in England. That's up to the Italians. If this is still correct, yes SR would have to self isolate. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy/entry-requirements

Possibly however the Italians have different rules for transiting passengers, I don't know. The UK does.

• Like 1

Quick geography lesson:

The Republic of Ireland (IRL) is still in the EU. The UK is out. Northern Ireland, (aka the 6 counties, The North, Ulster), is part of the UK. Cork, at the other end of the country is officially in IRL. The people of Cork will often claim that their city is what they call “The REAL Capital, Boy?” And also call their county the Republic of Cork.

All clear so far?

For travel and vaccines, each country within the EU can, and does, set its own rules about PCR tests, quarantining and isolating etc. Those rules can, and do, change all the time so you should check with the country in which you are going to arrive about the rules in place there.

There is a digital Covid certificate available to citizens of the EU. It’s issued by each member country to residents of that country. It’s in a format that’s common to all EU countries, for simplicity, and gives details of the person and the vaccine given to them. It also has a QR code which, I assume, carries they same data and that can be easily scanned at points of entry.

• Like 3

Note to foreigners: Whilst everything that Black Sox says is of course true, the situation is complicated in rugby where IRL and NI generally compete as a single, all Ireland team. Except of course for the Lions which bring together England, Wales, Scotland, NI and IRL  (i.e. GB and IRL) as a single team. The reason for this is 2-fold. Firstly historical, but primarily because if IRL and the UK have anything in common, it is enjoying confusing the f*** out of foreigners (and yanks in particular)

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Sounds from one of the articles like there is an ‘Ireland 2040’ fund already in the works and players in this story are gunning to use the Cork-related part of it for fast-tracking it using AC37 as their argument. A touch like what the politicos did in Auckland with the Viaduct. 

My guess is that Cork is the only real player in this besides the Auckland possibility. 

15 hours ago, Gissie said:

The money was meant to cover the cost of running the event, not team costs. So in theory it should have made no real difference to their ability to defend

Let me get this straight: so, the Irish government would have to front expenses for 99MNZ$ = 60M€, plus forking out 60M€ more to a foreign, private entity with a record of dodgy accounting. This, while there would be no home team and quaint Atlantic harbors are a dime a dozen, and funds coming from the Recovery Fund. This would be enough to give ulcers to the Dutch, who’ve always hated said Plan

Makes me think that, instead of wasting my time on foil technicalities, I should have spent it here peddling the sale of condo apartments in the Colosseum, for which me and my Nigerian prince business partner have exclusive rights ...

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Xlot said:

private entity with a record of dodgy accounting. 

Not true, and it's disappointing to see you persevere with this line of defamation. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Not true, and it's disappointing to see you persevere with this line of defamation. 

So true, you would need to get the true accounts off them first to be able to prove it...

3 hours ago, Gissie said:

Which set of books did they hand over...

Pissy, with that question you imply that they had 2 sets of books.

That is pure slander, unless you can prove it. So, prove it here, or I will bring it to the attention of Dalts, with a recommendation to go after you.

He probably knows who you are because you very much sound like he kicked you off one of his boats, at some point in your pitiful career.

I have doubts about the AC in Cork. The human constitution is just not designed to handle unrelenting waves of Irish hospitality. We are not taking about the 505 worlds at HISC before the club was modernised you know; mere child's play to what’s in store at Cork. At the very least ensure the crane drivers and shore teams are locals, otherwise it'll be like watching plastered Millwall supporters set up deckchairs.

Cork’s hospitality is beguiling yet devastatingly efficient; the early morning  wee dram of whiskey at the fish market, a tasting visit to a local distillery (one of dozens our sailors noted), an entirely liquid lunch at a local pub, afternoon garden drinks on the day it was sunny, a, a yacht club evening do. Such reasonable prices for such an extensive glittering bar of amber nectors. The finest blends in their natural environment. When far from home who can resist and yet, this is just the first day. Reality retreats like the horizon and closing times.

The weeks move by. Now conversing only in badly recalled limericks, perpetually hungover crews find it impossible to raise the double main let alone cross the start line, or even find it, their tacticians lead only to bars of non aquatic disposition. Finishing anything becomes pure fantasy under the relentless waves of local hospitality. The entire city is of one in this pursuit. No request of an obscure local whiskey too small, no shortages for connoisseurs of the national drink, no street without a party and a beckoning open door. Its just so easy to oblige those innocent invitations, those Irish sirens singing in the pubs, chance discovery of ones long lost Irish relative you never realised you had. “Will you be having another one” locals casually offer, “you’ll be staying a little longer” they softly ask, their magical Irish eyes a twinkling. Wise spake the Fool in the temple of Guinness and the Irish Faerie King.

Press conferences reek of stale Jamesons. In a corner Bruno snores in five languages, skippers enter with black eyes endeavoring not to precede Ben down the steep steps. S accuses all of spiking his one surviving Red Bull, an entirely unreasonable accusation even considering his horizontal state. The conference degenerates yet again into a hungover glazed befuddlement, our hero's eventually retiring to the domains of their financial backers whose fortunes now lost playing matchsticks with that elderly Irish gentleman in that strangely small pub now lost in the myriad of winding little streets and alleyways.

No one is quite sure or even cares which, if any team won the AC. The Americas Cup itself was eventually found, ineptly disguised as a leprechaun suspended from the masthead of Imagine. On the deck GD was seen possessively arranging his extensive collection of stolen NZ government garden gnomes into questionable positions. “Its all mine” said he, eyes glinting in the moonlight.

Everyone hugely enjoyed the end of regatta party despite negligible recollection of specifics and some pending minor legalities concerning enlightening photographic evidence. All that is except the NYYC who, surfacing from months of hospitality surfeit, only to discover they have gifted (“with absolute pleasure” they noted) all custodianship of the AC in perpetuity to the Royal Cork.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, chesirecat said:

I have doubts about the AC in Cork. The human constitution is just not designed to handle unrelenting waves of Irish hospitality. We are not taking about the 505 worlds at HISC before the club was modernised you know; mere child's play to what’s in store at Cork. At the very least ensure the crane drivers and shore teams are locals, otherwise it'll be like watching plastered Millwall supporters set up deckchairs.

Cork’s hospitality is beguiling yet devastatingly efficient; the early morning  wee dram of whiskey at the fish market, a tasting visit to a local distillery (one of dozens our sailors noted), an entirely liquid lunch at a local pub, afternoon garden drinks on the day it was sunny, a, a yacht club evening do. Such reasonable prices for such an extensive glittering bar of amber nectors. The finest blends in their natural environment. When far from home who can resist and yet, this is just the first day. Reality retreats like the horizon and closing times.

The weeks move by. Now conversing only in badly recalled limericks, perpetually hungover crews find it impossible to raise the double main let alone cross the start line, or even find it, their tacticians lead only to bars of non aquatic disposition. Finishing anything becomes pure fantasy under the relentless waves of local hospitality. The entire city is of one in this pursuit. No request of an obscure local whiskey too small, no shortages for connoisseurs of the national drink, no street without a party and a beckoning open door. Its just so easy to oblige those innocent invitations, those Irish sirens singing in the pubs, chance discovery of ones long lost Irish relative you never realised you had. “Will you be having another one” locals casually offer, “you’ll be staying a little longer” they softly ask, their magical Irish eyes a twinkling. Wise spake the Fool in the temple of Guinness and the Irish Faerie King.

Press conferences reek of stale Jamesons. In a corner Bruno snores in five languages, skippers enter with black eyes endeavoring not to precede Ben down the steep steps. S accuses all of spiking his one surviving Red Bull, an entirely unreasonable accusation even considering his horizontal state. The conference degenerates yet again into a hungover glazed befuddlement, our hero's eventually retiring to the domains of their financial backers whose fortunes now lost playing matchsticks with that elderly Irish gentleman in that strangely small pub now lost in the myriad of winding little streets and alleyways.

No one is quite sure or even cares which, if any team won the AC. The Americas Cup itself was eventually found, ineptly disguised as a leprechaun suspended from the masthead of Imagine. On the deck GD was seen possessively arranging his extensive collection of stolen NZ government garden gnomes into questionable positions. “Its all mine” said he, eyes glinting in the moonlight.

Everyone hugely enjoyed the end of regatta party despite negligible recollection of specifics and some pending minor legalities concerning enlightening photographic evidence. All that is except the NYYC who, surfacing from months of hospitality surfeit, only to discover they have gifted (“with absolute pleasure” they noted) all custodianship of the AC in perpetuity to the Royal Cork.

:D 

14 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

That is pure slander, unless you can prove it. So, prove it here, or I will bring it to the attention of Dalts, with a recommendation to go after you.

He probably knows who you are because you very much sound like he kicked you off one of his boats, at some point in your pitiful career.

:lol: You should drop the Fiji part from your name, much more accurate. Making demands on SA, fucking joke is what you are.

And the threats, hahahaha. Dalts would tell you to fuck off back into your cesspit. 

As for pitiful career, I doubt you even had one good enough to be called pitiful.

Telling Dalts, sorry, bring it to his attention :lol:

fuck I love this place.

19 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Its like a school kid saying "I am going to tell the teacher, then you will get into trouble."  Grow up FFS.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

On 7/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, Gissie said:

:lol: You should drop the Fiji part from your name, much more accurate. Making demands on SA, fucking joke is what you are.

And the threats, hahahaha. Dalts would tell you to fuck off back into your cesspit. 

As for pitiful career, I doubt you even had one good enough to be called pitiful.

Telling Dalts, sorry, bring it to his attention :lol:

fuck I love this place.

I seem to have touched a sour note with your traumatic experience of getting fired by Dalts. I would almost feel sorry for you, but as the most cancerous poster on SA AC you certainly now deserve a second beating.

And you think Dalts would tell me to fuck off, really? He may have been slightly testy at times, but always in a funny way and with due respect. And mutual respect for that matter.

By the way, I never sailed with him on any of his boats, go figure, and Pissie off...

On 7/31/2021 at 4:30 PM, trt131 said:

Its like a school kid saying "I am going to tell the teacher, then you will get into trouble."  Grow up FFS.

Dalts is not anything like my teacher, he is a pretty successful sailor and CEO of an amazing sporting team. He can do without slanderous accusations by anominous serial shit posters on SA. 

Besides, I may be a school kid, but we are all growing older, and not many on SA have grown up, actually!

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Dalts is not anything like my teacher, he is a pretty successful sailor and CEO of an amazing sporting team. He can do without slanderous accusations by anominous serial shit posters on SA. 

Besides, I may be a school kid, but we are all growing older, and not many on SA have grown up, actually!

Please try again when the drugs have worn off and you have had a good night's sleep.

8 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I seem to have touched a sour note with your traumatic experience of getting fired by Dalts. I would almost feel sorry for you, but as the most cancerous poster on SA AC you certainly now deserve a second beating.

And you think Dalts would tell me to fuck off, really? He may have been slightly testy at times, but always in a funny way and with due respect. And mutual respect for that matter.

By the way, I never sailed with him on any of his boats, go figure, and Pissie off...

Love all the Kiwis on here. All are best friends with Dalton or are in the know somehow.  What a bunch of wankers. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Much and all as I would love to see it here in Ireland, I don't think this has been properly thought out and will not be holding my breath. That said, and it's a factor, we're long overdue hosting a major sporting event and as we showed with the Volvo, we can do it well. 

3 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Much and all as I would love to see it here in Ireland, I don't think this has been properly thought out and will not be holding my breath.

Oh c’mon, with probably 8 to 10 syndicates coming for 3 or 4 years and hundreds upon hundreds of Super Yachts who will all spend $Billions in Cork, well.. They’d be fools to not mortgage their future to GD & Co! 

13 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Hey FB? Have you taken over from 4? Just askin for a friend. ;-)

24 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Hey FB? Have you taken over from 4? Just askin for a friend. ;-)

No, don't worry. I just had enough of Pissie Gissie's vile shit posting.

I’m not even a Kiwi and not a fan of anything or anyone, but I do have quite a few Kiwi's in my fanclub. :lol:

Tell your friend...

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So, your only glory is to know Dalts ? How old are you ? 4 ? Fidji Wanker.

You seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex, Putain de Merde.

Wouldn't even trust you in a pram.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:07 PM, Stingray~ said:

Oh c’mon, with probably 8 to 10 syndicates coming for 3 or 4 years and hundreds upon hundreds of Super Yachts who will all spend $Billions in Cork, well.. They’d be fools to not mortgage their future to GD & Co! 

Oh a warm welcome guaranteed and plenty of craic ....we shall see.

1 hour ago, Paddywackery said:

Oh a warm welcome guaranteed and plenty of craic ....we shall see.

That's for sure, still feeling hung over from 2 stopovers quite a while ago.

But seriously, I think it could be a great success, with a huge English and European interest. With Covid hopefully gone, and a recovering economy, I can see several new entries, and a very big spectator fleet.

Oh, and thanks for getting back to the subject, Paddywanker, that's what it sounds like to me at least. But you undoubtedly are the real Irish thing, unlike a ... Paddywhacker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=paddywhackery&amp=true

I missed most of TE's show today but during what I caught toward the end he said TH can't make it at the show's time on Friday, live. They will record something on Thursday then TE will show it Friday. And TH will go live soon enough after. Anyway, since TE asked those of us attending:

What Q's do folks have, for TH? 

On 8/1/2021 at 10:45 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

Pissie, you're such a sad joke, tell me more about sailing with Grunter Dalts, if you like.

Sober up and G'night...

You make up shit about me sailing with Dalts and want me to join 8n with your shit?

To paraphrase the old saying, at least I can sober up, you will always be a dickhead. Sad, but you do need to learn to live with it Bitter. Although it does explain your name..

from America’s Cup would be major boost for Baltimore and Schull | Southern Star

He said events would take place in the area between Waterford Harbour and Dingle,  with the actual racing concentrating on the area around Cork Harbour to Youghal, and taking in Baltimore.

‘A funding package of hundreds of millions of euro will be secured if we get this as it would be like bringing an Olympics game style event to West Cork which is unheard of in Irish sporting history. The economic benefit of this would be at least €1bn over three years,’ he said.

Charlie Bolger, Commodore of Baltimore Yacht Club said the opportunities the event would present for West Cork were very exciting.

Now I see why, the article claims that all harbours within 100km of cork will get major upgrades from it. No doubt the improvements will be made by leprechauns and the yachts flown in by porcine airways who will be paid by this £1bn boost. Good to see the Guinness and Jameson's still flows freely in ireland

4 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Is it me or did that article just name 4 different random locations in Ireland that are nowhere near each other or cork?

This whole article sounds like complete bullshit to me. Just back from West Cork, beautiful part of the country, but I honestly can't see this happening

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

"BALTIMORE and Schull harbours will be in line for major investment if the America’s Cup comes to Cork, as hoped, in 2024.

Cork is currently vying with Valentia (sic) in Spain to host what is the biggest sailing event in the world, and the third largest sporting event globally after the football World Cup and the Olympics.

It has taken place in New Zealand on the past three occasions"

So AC34-36 took place in NZ. Well I never. Stopped clock, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-to-face-200m-bill-if-it-wins-bid-to-host-yacht-race-officials-say-1.4650426

Nothing more than a reporting of the possible minimum costs that the state could face.

Personally, I hope we don’t even consider it.

My favourite is the last clause in the sentence 

The State would face a bill of more than €200 million ..., officials have found.

Like it wasn't obvious from the start.

I'd love to see it in ireland, but only because as someone who doesn't pay Irish taxes I wouldn't foot any of the bill. It makes no sense to me at all

3 hours ago, Black Sox said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/state-to-face-200m-bill-if-it-wins-bid-to-host-yacht-race-officials-say-1.4650426

Nothing more than a reporting of the possible minimum costs that the state could face.

Personally, I hope we don’t even consider it.

I'm completely with you. We have neither the money nor the interest. Much bigger priorities that would make this an ill conceived folly.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

My worry is that Coveney is, apparently, a big name in sailing in Cork.

Cork 'royalty' and all that stuff aside, a barmy idea framed in buffoonery. Clearly the NZ government are not going to be held to ransom in a bidding war and nor should we given the serious stuff governments have to contend with today. The Japanese did a great job with the Olympics, 20 Billion down the drain and not a cent of tourist income because of the virus. Worse, they were behind the curve with vaccinations and now the plague is ripping through them.

I love the Americas Cup, but it's now a financial arms race and we don't have the wallet to play.