What is more, hadn't the TV deal been done BEFORE the pandemic, so their cut should have been based on non pandemic expectations?

Or it was based on actuals in which they essentially do get a cut of the revenue.

4 is the ultimate Trumpesque  troll. He answers only what he wants, not what anyone else actually writes. And even then facts and logic need not apply

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have doubts about the AC in Cork. The human constitution is just not designed to handle unrelenting waves of Irish hospitality. We are not taking about the 505 worlds at HISC before the club was mod

Cork Harbour is in the People’s Republic of Cork which is an entirely different state (of mind) to the rest of the country! As much as I would love to see the AC come to Cork I’d have to ask why is

Let me get this straight: so, the Irish government would have to front expenses for 99MNZ$ = 60M€, plus forking out 60M€ more to a foreign, private entity with a record of dodgy accounting. This, whil

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So this was just your standard bullshit, oh woe is the team crap you spew.

You are correct in that they make nothing from the advertising revenue. What you conveniently left out was how they do make money from selling the rights.

At a billion viewers you would have to think it is worth a lot of money. Unless the billion viewers has as much truth behind it as you.

You need to read your posts before posting rubbish. You asked if they “give the rights away for free? Yeah right” to which i replied “no they sell them”. So i didnt leave it out at all. 
Doesnt matter what id like to think its worth, all that matters is what its actually worth. This is all part of the negotiation. Dalton feels its worth x amount, broadcasters decide whether they want to pay what Dalton thinks its worth.

15 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

What is more, hadn't the TV deal been done BEFORE the pandemic, so their cut should have been based on non pandemic expectations?

Or it was based on actuals in which they essentially do get a cut of the revenue.

4 is the ultimate Trumpesque  troll. He answers only what he wants, not what anyone else actually writes. And even then facts and logic need not apply

ill answer anything worth answering, not troll posts like yours where you dont know the difference between an investment and a loan, so think the Government money is a loan when it clearly isnt.

But BS like Dalton has no ethics or morals is bias, subjective negative, crybaby nonsense being spewed by someone who clearly has an axe to grind or who is simply bitter so gets his rocks off trolling Kiwi’s. Either way, not worth the time and effort.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

You need to read your posts before posting rubbish. You asked if they “give the rights away for free? Yeah right” to which i replied “no they sell them”. So i didnt leave it out at all.

Maybe take your own advice. You made the claim the team made nothing, it all went to TVNZ.

Zero mention of the reality, which is they sell the rights, until I broached the possibility.

So you really do believe the propaganda you spew out. Unreal. Still, it is important to remember there does need to be Kiwi's at the other end of the intelligence spectrum to balance out the clever ones. Thanks for being one of them.

6 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Maybe take your own advice. You made the claim the team made nothing, it all went to TVNZ.

Zero mention of the reality, which is they sell the rights, until I broached the possibility.

So you really do believe the propaganda you spew out. Unreal. Still, it is important to remember there does need to be Kiwi's at the other end of the intelligence spectrum to balance out the clever ones. Thanks for being one of them.

Now whos conveniently leaving shit out!? Clearly the topic we were discussing at the time was advertising revenue which you (or someone else like @JALhazmatasked how much the team makes from advertising revenue, which we both agree was very little. I always said to you and him that the team sell the rights to the broadcaster so ive never said they dont sell the rights, i even said exactly that to you when you suggested Dalts gives the rights away for free! 
Like ive ALWAYS said, the team makes money from selling the rights. How much money depends on the deal they make. Billions of viewers doesnt necessarily translate to dollars for the team, but it is a selling point when it comes to selling TV rights. 

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You are really deluded! Look what's happening in Australia where Omicron is now ravaging accross NSW & Victoria, the two most populous States in the Country.

My Prediction is that NZ Borders will remain closed until 90 % of the NZ Population has at least a Booster Shot. It has become apparent that you'll need a Booster to stem Omicron. It's far to risky to open the Borders again for now.

Twat,

same  thing is all over the world, so where are the untainted Covid dollars going to come from? 

56 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

No, they sell it.

So they sell it for less than it's worth? If the super bowl is pulling in 449 million in ad revenue and the AC is watched by a lot more people, wouldn't you think it would be easy to sell the rights for the money they need? They need 80million or something. How much did they sell the rights for?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Now whos conveniently leaving shit out!? Clearly the topic we were discussing at the time was advertising revenue which you (or someone else like @JALhazmatasked how much the team makes from advertising revenue, which we both agree was very little. I always said to you and him that the team sell the rights to the broadcaster so ive never said they dont sell the rights, i even said exactly that to you when you suggested Dalts gives the rights away for free! 

Get fucked, I didn’t ask that at all 

my question is, how with a billion viewers is grant struggling to sell his dream 

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Topical trolling concentration on irrelevant details. It matters not whether it is advertising revenue or sale of rights. Doesn't he get a good deal from these 1bn viewers?

Dont know does he? He might, or he might not. Depends what 1 billion viewers means to whoever wants to buy the rights doesnt it.

2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Topical trolling concentration on irrelevant details. It matters not whether it is advertising revenue or sale of rights. Doesn't he get a good deal from these 1bn viewers?

When it comes to negotiation, the details are always relevant.

2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Get fucked, I didn’t ask that at all 

my question is, how with a billion viewers is grant struggling to sell his dream 

I’d love to see an answer to this. It’s hilarious knowing SClarke still buys into Grant’s bullshit. That kind of viewership should have sponsors kicking the door down to get involved. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

where are the untainted Covid dollars going to come from? 

Places where it ripped even before the govt decided to let er rip. Fans,sports, all will have had Omicron or are maxvaxxed and not worried.  It's really places where they were kept safe and promised a logical path to the world that are most freaked because Delta and Omicron changed the rules. 

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I’d love to see an answer to this. It’s hilarious knowing SClarke still buys into Grant’s bullshit. That kind of viewership should have sponsors kicking the door down to get involved. 

The kind of bullshit that wins two consecutive Americas Cups, one Whitbread round the World Race, sets a Jules Verne record, wins two Audi Med cups, two Louis Vuitton Cups, two LV Trophies, and one LV Americas Cup CSS trophy?

As opposed to your winners medal at being the best whining, bitching, moaning, negative little crybaby on an internet forum.

5 hours ago, pusslicker said:

So they sell it for less than it's worth? If the super bowl is pulling in 449 million in ad revenue and the AC is watched by a lot more people, wouldn't you think it would be easy to sell the rights for the money they need? They need 80million or something. How much did they sell the rights for?

Simple. Give Grant a call and ask him. He'll either tell you to fuck off or give you the numbers, I know which one it'll be lol

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Then call Grant and ask him yourself. Don't forget to tell him what you really think of "his bullshit" though lol

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when that convo goes down, watch you drop your nuts and get too scared to tell him lol.

5 hours ago, Gissie said:

But the rest of the world was wide open? The rest of the world wasn't cancelling events? The rest of the world was still splashing the cash? Must be why venues are lining up with buckets of no strings cash...

Do you really believe the crap you spout? Or are you just a supreme troll? Congrats if it is the later, sympathy if the former.

If the dock talk is to be believed, there is at least two proposals still on the table.

I believe what I say, as opposed to you who just trolls to get a reaction.

46 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If the dock talk is to be believed, there is at least two proposals still on the table.

I believe what I say, as opposed to you who just trolls to get a reaction.

So all your facts are based on dock talk...

As for me, quite a number here often agree with my opinions, as I do theirs. Which is more than you could ever say.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

So all your facts are based on dock talk...

As for me, quite a number here often agree with my opinions, as I do theirs. Which is more than you could ever say.

Nope. Dalton and the Squadron have confirmed Cork and at least two other bids.

But of course Dalton and everyone in and around Team NZ are all liars to you right?

7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Nope. Dalton and the Squadron have confirmed Cork and at least two other bids but of course Dalton is a liar to you right?

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

Nope. Dalton and the Squadron have confirmed Cork and at least two other bids but of course Dalton is a liar to you right?

So you lied about it being dock talk.

Fuck I love this place.

4 minutes ago, Gissie said:

So you lied about it being dock talk.

Fuck I love this place.

Blah blah blah.

We are the Champions. 

Grow some balls and pick a team or fuck off.

I'll just leave this here for you to enjoy:)

Grant_Dalton_Photosport.jpg

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

I'll try... 

Being a relatively "successful" AC doesn't mean instant cash for subsequent defence.

Covid has disrupted sports sponsorships, and somewhat fickle AC is very sensitive to this. Just look at GDs note about inability to offer make-goods as a major issue compared to other sports series.

53 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Blah blah blah.

We are the Champions. 

Grow some balls and pick a team or fuck off.

I'll just leave this here for you to enjoy:)

Grant_Dalton_Photosport.jpg

And there it is. The childish response when asked a sensible question. 

And you call me a troll.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Gissie said:

And there it is. The childish response when asked a sensible question. 

And you call me a troll.

You haven't asked a "sensible question" in a long time.

And yes, you are a troll.

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Places where it ripped even before the govt decided to let er rip. Fans,sports, all will have had Omicron or are maxvaxxed and not worried.  It's really places where they were kept safe and promised a logical path to the world that are most freaked because Delta and Omicron changed the rules. 

Looks like a big list of options going by the number of countries you listed… 

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

You haven't asked a "sensible question" in a long time.

And yes, you are a troll.

You claimed earlier that the team is owed a permanent base. I questioned why a national team would expect the government rather than the national body to supply this.

Crickets, cicadas, zero, nada.

Lots of sensible questions get asked. Your reply consists of - we won, you are all losers and haters.

An embarrassment to most Kiwis.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Gissie said:

You claimed earlier that the team is owed a permanent base. I questioned why a national team would expect the government rather than the national body to supply this.

Crickets, cicadas, zero, nada.

Lots of sensible questions get asked. Your reply consists of - we won, you are all losers and haters.

An embarrassment to most Kiwis.

Because they deserve it. At least the land/ space for one.

Cycling NZ got one. There are all sorts of different Rugby stadiums paid for at least partially with taxpayer money. The team proposed one as part of the last negotiation for the waterfront but was declined due to costs.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Cycling NZ got one. There are all sorts of different Rugby stadiums paid for at least partially with taxpayer money. The team proposed one as part of the last negotiation for the waterfront but was declined due to costs.

Odd why the government wouldn't fund one. Would cost less than a new rugby stadium after all.

Almost as if the govt doesn't  think they are a national team. Imagine

3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Odd why the government wouldn't fund one. Would cost less than a new rugby stadium after all.

Almost as if the govt doesn't  think they are a national team. Imagine

Yet they're prepared to fund victory parade, after victory parade, after victory parade when they win.

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yet they're prepared to fund victory parade, after victory parade, after victory parade when they win.

You mean they hire a bus and tell people to turn up? Hardly national team criteria

Every football or rugby team that wins anything better than a teacup gets one of those

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

You mean they hire a bus and tell people to turn up? Hardly national team criteria

Every football or rugby team that wins anything better than a teacup gets one of those

But do they get one when they don't win?

Because Team NZ did.

13 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Simple. Give Grant a call and ask him. He'll either tell you to fuck off or give you the numbers, I know which one it'll be lol

I was asking why you think he is having so much trouble. A billion viewers should be easy to sell for the money TNZ needs. Again one game in the NFL with much less viewership brings in 449 million. 80 million should be easy. Why do you think GD is having this trouble when covid doesn't play into TV numbers and maybe even makes them greater. The AC was watched by 1 in 8 people on the planet.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

But do they get one when they don't win?

Because Team NZ did.

Yawn. Yeah and your dad's bigger than mine. Both irrelevant (as usual) to the question though. Just the usual pathetic and repetitive deflection

How about trying to contribute something of merit to the forum for a change?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, rh3000 said:

I'll try... 

Being a relatively "successful" AC doesn't mean instant cash for subsequent defence.

Covid has disrupted sports sponsorships, and somewhat fickle AC is very sensitive to this. Just look at GDs note about inability to offer make-goods as a major issue compared to other sports series.

A billion viewers is "relatively" successful?

12 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Yawn. Yeah and your dad's bigger than mine. Both irrelevant (as usual) to the question though. Just the usual pathetic and repetitive deflection

How about trying to contribute something of merit to the forum for a change?

Oh I see, so once again I debunk your stupid little "argument" about whether they're a National team and your response is "Yawn" and "Irrelevant"

Face it, you've got nothing. Nothing but "Dalton is ethically and morally wrong" you wanna talk about yawn. Who gives a fuck? He's a winner and has the respect of his team and his peers.

Just STFU and quit being such a fucking little crybaby.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Oh I see, so once again I debunk your stupid little "argument" about whether they're a National team and your response is "Yawn" and "Irrelevant"

Face it, you've got nothing. Nothing but "Dalton is ethically and morally wrong" you wanna talk about yawn.

How does the fact that TNZ have won 4 times mean they are a national team? Liverpool FC have won the champions league 6 times. And had a victory parade every time. They still aren't a national team. Like ETNZ

You cannot distinguish between what you wish the world looked like and how it actually is

So using your own statement, Sailing NZ should be helped to have a base, not the team. Any help given always goes to the national association, the one that governs the national team.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

So using your own statement, Sailing NZ should be helped to have a base, not the team. Any help given always goes to the national association, the one that governs the national team.

I think the NZ sailing national body might have accepted the $50m offer from the govt. Being as how it's roughly 10x more than they get in revenue. To cover all other forms of sailing. Might have been able to win more than one medal at the olympics

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Face it, you've got nothing. Nothing but "Dalton is ethically and morally wrong" you wanna talk about yawn. Who gives a fuck? He's a winner and has the respect of his team and his peers.

I'm just curious why think that Dalton is having such a hard time raising money after such a successful event with a billion viewers? You guys portray him as an amazing fundraiser, but for one airline and the government teat he doesn't seem so good.

8 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I'm just curious why think that Dalton is having such a hard time raising money after such a successful event with a billion viewers? You guys portray him as an amazing fundraiser, but for one airline and the government teat he doesn't seem so good.

The ETNZ budget f-up is NOT at all GD's fault. It is instead the victim of some combination of Italian Satellites, The Chinese, Venezuela and Dunphy. And Soros.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

One airline? Emirates, Omega, Toyota NZ, Stephen Tindal and The Warehouse Group. All since 2003. 18 year sponsorships. 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

All coming to a grinding very public halt… 

Emirates Team Cork then?

Nobody in NZ (Toyota NZ, etc) would seem to have any interest at all if it goes offshore, the whole nationalistic cause to 'Bring it Home' will have been lost. 

There's been some posts above about how the loss of the SY and Youth Regattas negatively impacted ETNZ's budget. How were those events supposed to have impacted ETNZ, they appeared to be ABNZYS related events? And maybe that SY refit guy Busfield; and the local hotel-owners? Am not convinced that Covid is a real excuse for the ETNZ big-ask to Cork and whoever. Auckland is just as good an option as it was this past time, Covid is simply the excuse being made for GD's long-term goal - even predating AC36 - to cash-in big-time offshore instead. 

Where is the Cork and/or Irish government coming up with the kind of money that GD is demanding?  Does this still have to get government approval?  No way in hell it gets passed anytime soon.  Cork won't be ready when the teams are supposed to arrive unless they modify the clause in the protocol on the black out sailing periods except at the venue

32 minutes ago, Chobani Sailor said:

Where is the Cork and/or Irish government coming up with the kind of money that GD is demanding?  Does this still have to get government approval?  No way in hell it gets passed anytime soon.  Cork won't be ready when the teams are supposed to arrive unless they modify the clause in the protocol on the black out sailing periods except at the venue

By the reporting in the Irish Examiner, the Cork Council is still begging the Irish Sports Dept to back their bid. And so even if that happens then yes, it would go up from there. With barely two years to go then even if the location was going to be 'free' on basically a street in inner Cork then.. Dang, seems the proposal is still pretty far-gone despite the 'technical team' visit.

Was that 'technical team' two brother electricians named Mick and Paddy from the nearest bar? Or was it the magnificent OSG three? And if the OSG then what if any incentive do they actually have to produce an actual venue? Can they simply suck $M's from GD with no worries, so GD doesn't have to go fly to f'ing Europe? This whole thing looks messed up, FUBAR. Nobody of real importance in Ireland, not one of them, has been quoted saying anything about how funding ETNZ is some brilliant idea. The subject could well be 'hot potato' there, one unlikely to get resolved in any near-term timeframe if ever. I'd argue the same for anywhere in Spain, politics simply don't work in this game's favor; you need a $B to help make it happen.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

You need a $B to help make it happen.

If what TE heard eventuates about an NZ $B stepping in then it further cements my long-held belief that the only real option for GD remains the Home-Cup Auckland Defense - whether he wanted that or not.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

If what TE heard eventuates about an NZ $B stepping in then it further cements my long-held belief that the only real option for GD remains the Home-Cup Auckland Defense - whether he wanted that or not.

NZ has two https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Zealanders_by_net_worth

Unless Peter Thiel has a taste for sailing.

1 minute ago, NeedAClew said:

NZ has two https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Zealanders_by_net_worth

Unless Peter Thiel has a taste for sailing.

Was Thiel the guy who once toured the ETNZ base, met GD, whatever? 

TE suggested the possible-interest was a $B but I think he also said the guy is an NZ’er. Maybe Thiel counts, no idea. 

7 hours ago, Gissie said:

The Government invests in Sport NZ who then distributes funding to different sports, of which Yachting NZ is a beneficiary.

The difference between Government funding to sport NZ and Emirates Team NZ, is the Government invests directly into Team NZ, where Yachting NZ is a beneficiary of one pot of funding which then allocates funds to specific sports.

Yachting NZ is an umbrella organisation which member clubs register. There is no base as such, only registered sailing clubs, (of which the RNZYS is one) all of which have and do benefit from Sport NZ funding to some extent.

4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Emirates Team Cork then?

Nobody in NZ (Toyota NZ, etc) would seem to have any interest at all if it goes offshore, the whole nationalistic cause to 'Bring it Home' will have been lost. 

You could argue that they can continue with the Bring it Home nationalism thing now that it is being permanently taken off shore.

The Government invests in Sport NZ who then distributes funding to different sports, of which Yachting NZ is a beneficiary.

The difference between Government funding to sport NZ and Emirates Team NZ, is the Government invests directly into Team NZ, where Yachting NZ is a beneficiary of one pot of funding which then allocates funds to specific sports.

Yachting NZ is an umbrella organisation which member clubs register. There is no base as such, only registered sailing clubs, (of which the RNZYS is one) all of which have and do benefit from Sport NZ funding to some extent.

We all understand this. What we find difficult to understand is why you think the team, totally independent of Yachting NZ deserves to be given a free base for its exclusive use to make as much profit as possible for themselves.

There is no other team in NZ that would have the balls to think they deserve such largesse. In fact I doubt even Dalts thinks they deserve to be handed a free base.

Just you. :(

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

We all understand this. What we find difficult to understand is why you think the team, totally independent of Yachting NZ deserves to be given a free base for its exclusive use to make as much profit as possible for themselves.

There is no other team in NZ that would have the balls to think they deserve such largesse. In fact I doubt even Dalts thinks they deserve to be handed a free base.

Just you. :(

I don't think they should get a "Free base" just a permanent one. They at least deserve a spot on the waterfront.

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I don't think they should get a "Free base" just a permanent one. They at least deserve a spot on the waterfront.

There is nothing stopping them getting a permanent base. All they need to do is pay for it...

33 minutes ago, Gissie said:

There is nothing stopping them getting a permanent base. All they need to do is pay for it...

When the team proposed their own base as part of the infrastructure deal, it was declined 1) because it was too costly, and 2) because the council as part of the infrastructure plan didn't want any permanent structures erected. That was the only reason the waterfront negotiations worked out, because the team relented and suggested instead of constructing a permanent base for them to operate out of, they would modify the VEC and sign a short term lease.

24 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

When the team proposed their own base as part of the infrastructure deal, it was declined 1) because it was too costly, and 2) because the council as part of the infrastructure plan didn't want any permanent structures erected. That was the only reason the waterfront negotiations worked out, because the team relented and suggested instead of constructing a permanent base for them to operate out of, they would modify the VEC and sign a short term lease.

So the only reason they don't have a permanent base is because they would have to pay for it.

And 'the teams relented', or possibly just wanted a freebie.

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Not exactly a strong point for TNZ paying or heaven forbid repaying for anything publicly funded.

Loyalty yeah right.

Getting a free base/location should be a breeze now that they /GD is fully behind keeping the event at home and graciously accepted the Gov offer… and hadn’t already said they didn’t actually want a permanent base?

oh wait.. 

the decision to change their mind on requesting a permanent base and signing a short term lease? Any ideas why that might have been?  

possibly because they had no intention of staying out after 36 and had the venue scouts out. 

or is there another totally valid idea why they changed the request? 

But none of that matters as 4 thinks they should have a permanent base/shrine to GD given to them… 

19 hours ago, Forourselves said:

One airline? Emirates, Omega, Toyota NZ, Stephen Tindal and The Warehouse Group. All since 2003. 18 year sponsorships. 

So, the greatest money raiser in of all Kwiwland has been resting on the same sponsors for nearly 20 years???

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Liquid said:

So, the greatest money raiser in of all Kwiwland has been resting on the same sponsors for nearly 20 years???

That was my point exactly. 4 won't answer the question why with a billion viewers the most amazing money raiser ever can't get anything now.

33 minutes ago, Liquid said:

well. except for the Kiwi's themselves. apparently.

Red-Socks-with-PIppa.jpg.webp

15 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Was Thiel the guy who once toured the ETNZ base, met GD, whatever? 

TE suggested the possible-interest was a $B but I think he also said the guy is an NZ’er. Maybe Thiel counts, no idea. 

Gabe Newell.

9 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Gabe Newell.

Gabe Newell - that was the guy on the NZ news who said he had spoken to the American's and said they were not interested in his money.  I doubt he ever talked to American Magic.

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

That was my point exactly. 4 won't answer the question why with a billion viewers the most amazing money raiser ever can't get anything now.

Are you saying there won't be an AC37? Because there will be. Which means there will be a TV deal and a funding commitment to the team.

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Are you saying there won't be an AC37? Because there will be. Which means there will be a TV deal and a funding commitment to the team.

I'm asking politely why GD can't get a tv deal to fund his whole team for the next cycle after having a billion viewers.  A billion viewer should make it easy to get the relatively low amount of money GD is having trouble finding. Especially for a guy touted as a fundraising genius by all the Kiwis here. Thus not being able to defend in Auckland. A billion viewers is approaching the Olympics or soccer World Cup. He needs to raise American college football levels of money from his tv deal, but is getting viewership 1000 times what these games get.

2 hours ago, pusslicker said:

I'm asking politely why GD can't get a tv deal to fund his whole team for the next cycle after having a billion viewers.  A billion viewer should make it easy to get the relatively low amount of money GD is having trouble finding. Especially for a guy touted as a fundraising genius by all the Kiwis here. Thus not being able to defend in Auckland. A billion viewers is approaching the Olympics or soccer World Cup. He needs to raise American college football levels of money from his tv deal, but is getting viewership 1000 times what these games get.

The viewership for the actual AC was 60 something million, the "billion" comes from those "reached" through some piece of AC content. Sail GP calculated it the same way and "reached" 1.5 billion.

The numbers are legit, but people do get confused on how to read them.

Why can't he get a TV deal to pay for everything? Because networks only pay good money if they have exclusive rights in their territory, which goes against the philosophy of what Grant is trying to do by making it available to as many people as possible.

He has stated on numerous times that if he did go exclusive, the rights only bring in an extra couple million and so it's not worth it, if you are cutting the access to fans and potential fans.

It's all clear and makes sense to me. I can't find conspiracies, inaccuracies or god damn aliens or fairies anywhere in this sorry. It is what it is.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

The viewership for the actual AC was 60 something million, the "billion" comes from those "reached" through some piece of AC content. Sail GP calculated it the same way and "reached" 1.5 billion.

Why can't he get a TV deal to pay for everything? Because networks only pay good money if they have exclusive rights in their territory, which goes against the philosophy of what Grant is trying to do by making it available to as many people as possible.

He has stated on numerous times that if he did go exclusive, the rights only bring in an extra couple million and so it's not worth it, if you are cutting the access to fans and potential fans.

It's all clear and makes sense to me. I can't find conspiracies, inaccuracies or god damn aliens or fairies anywhere in this sorry. It is what it is.

But AC36 was exclusive via pay TV in certain countries. So your assessment of GD the Saint has holes. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

But AC36 was exclusive via pay TV in certain countries. 

Was it? I thought otherwise. Where?

6 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I thought USA and Australia both broadcast it exclusively on pay TV, although it depends if your definition of exclusive is TV or "all" as I think you tube was available?

Just now, dogwatch said:

OK. IMO if it's on YouTube in a country without resorting to VPNs, that's available. That's how I watched it (UK).

I believe it wasn't geoblocked on YouTube anywhere, but they sold the rights "exclusively" to some pay tv packages around the place. Personally as I don't even have an aerial hooked up to my TV, this was just fine :lol:

Film prod was my biz but I know a little about TV dis.

Getting money, any money, for tv rights for non theatrical is hard, really hard. You'd be lucky to get your airfare to MIFED . Even if you get an advance its another thing to get it in your bank ac in a timely manner.

There's no worthwhile coin in AC TV rights except for domestic NZ. Italy had about 6-8 million viewers at one stage (a fact the NZ Gov failed to leverage) but that's about it for the Northern hemisphere. UK's a big TV market but good luck getting worthwhile viewing there, and therefore rights fees, even without the atrocious timezone. No significant UK co would want to buy slots since the NZ market is too small and I don't believe the AC is popular even among the UK sailing fraternity. Besides most would watch replays via proxies on Youtube. The AC is a tough sell.

2 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

I don't believe the AC is popular even among the UK sailing fraternity. Besides most would watch replays via proxies on Youtube. The AC is a tough sell.

It is popular amongst racers, especially with a home team, but that popularity doesn't necessarily transalte to "will watch it live" even at social hours.

12 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

It is popular amongst racers, especially with a home team, but that popularity doesn't necessarily transalte to "will watch it live" even at social hours.

Yep. If one got say 10,000 at 4 in the morning for one race starting on time that'd be good going. Dalton might get a MacDonald's out of it.

9 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Yep. If one got say 10,000 at 4 in the morning for one race starting on time that'd be good going. Dalton might get a MacDonald's out of it.

You tube numbers watching In The uk as they show how many are live was dribbling about 6k if that 

50 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Evidently, I'm an AC obsessive but I didn't generally watch it live. I'd avoid looking at SAAC until I'd viewed it in the morning.

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

I thought USA and Australia both broadcast it exclusively on pay TV, although it depends if your definition of exclusive is TV or "all" as I think you tube was available?

I remember Kiwis, Aussis, American posters and French (not sure about them tho) asking for VPNs, not able to watch on YT without a workaround. 

• Like 2

I watched the Christmas and Prada Cup live because my partner was on nights but mostly watched the cup first thing on replay.

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

You could only watch AC36 live in the US via a paid subscription on NBC sports Gold. I know, because I did it. Cost was $175, as I recall.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, accnick said:

You could only watch AC36 live in the US via a paid subscription on NBC sports Gold. I know, because I did it. Cost was $175, as I recall.

OK, thanks. VPN would have been cheaper. Casting a desktop browser tab to a big screen via Chromecast works well, I'm finding myself doing it a lot in this Zoom-era.

10 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

The reach is exactly what 4InchMicroCock promotes as being so valuable. I suspect he knows the difference, it’s just inconvenient for him to deal with reality. Just like a good Trump mouthpiece, only he does it for Dalton.

i’d also like to see the real viewership numbers. Is the 60 million an aggregate total over the entirety of the racing? We’ll never really know, and in the end the details don’t much matter, because all you need to do is talk to your friends who used to but no longer pay attention to the AC to see which way the market is going. 

4InchMicroCock lives is some twisted reality where he thinks any of this matters to more than the tiny number of kiwis who get paid from this event. I wonder what his motivation is to dominate this forum. Seems he some sort of sickness, or at least so weak of self esteem he needs to grovel to Dalton, hoping one day to be noticed. He’s a sad, pathetic guy, no doubt unloved, living a miserable existence hoping one day to be validated, but alas, Dalton isn’t about to send a search party to every damp basement or ancient sheep stall in NZL looking for him.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

OK, thanks. VPN would have been cheaper. 

Yep, as in free. Worked just fine for me and many of my friends in the US.

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

US it was pay to see most things. Eventually they showed races after, I suspect, very few paid.

14 hours ago, ChairborneRanger said:

I don't know. I find even 60 million viewers as wildly exaggerated. Just finding it on illegal streaming sites was really tough. If it was 60 million that would imply real interest and there just was no interest in that Cup. I mean an ice hockey game with a few hundred thousand watching it was much easier to find. Even if it was 60 million it is so fragmented nowadays that it must be hard to monetize it.