What mast spar on a J/111?

I'm trying to figure out the mast wall thickness on a J/111 mast, or at least what model spar is used. The owner's manual does not say, and I have emailed RigPro with no reply. Any ideas? I ask because I'm trying to select the correct well nut to use for instrument bracket mounting. I don't want to glue it, because I'll likely be changing it in the near future.

Well nuts are cheap just get an assortment. a long well nut will still tighten even if the wall is smalle . I would say it is between 1/8" and 3/8" 

3 hours ago, George Dewey said:

I'm trying to figure out the mast wall thickness on a J/111 mast, or at least what model spar is used. The owner's manual does not say, and I have emailed RigPro with no reply. Any ideas? I ask because I'm trying to select the correct well nut to use for instrument bracket mounting. I don't want to glue it, because I'll likely be changing it in the near future.

I vote for 6 x M4 x 12mm Hex Socket Button Screws in Titanium + a small amount of Sikaflex just around the screw. Will help with vibrations + add extra safety. 

You want to remove the bracket before removing the rig. Properly done this will work for many seasons.

55036_1__3.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/28/2021 at 4:45 AM, Blur said:

I vote for 6 x M4 x 12mm Hex Socket Button Screws in Titanium + a small amount of Sikaflex just around the screw. Will help with vibrations + add extra safety. 

You want to remove the bracket before removing the rig. Properly done this will work for many seasons.

55036_1__3.jpeg

Thanks Peter, your vote carries tremendous weight, but this is exactly how the bracket is mounted now, and all the holes are stripped. I put them back in using some orange thread locker but some of those are working their way out as well. 

Smaller boats like j70 have strap-on brackets.  Would you be willing to go with something like that?  Beats drilling more holes.

Since you already have holes, perhaps a belt and suspenders approach where you use straps and screws with the straps helping keep the screws in place.

Any solution like this may require a DIY bracket.  I tend to favor bending and cutting 7k series sheet aluminum but better fabricators than I would do it in carbon fiber.

1 minute ago, Teener said:

Any solution like this may require a DIY bracket.  I tend to favor bending and cutting 7k series sheet aluminum but better fabricators than I would do it in carbon fiber.

Not a bad idea, thanks!