Dammit man.  

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C.”
You will be missed greatly, amigo.
Frank & Billy

Oh noes!  I saw ZZ Top in Potsdam a few years ago and I expected pink fuzzy guitars and a nostalgia act.  I was so wrong, they kicked ass.

RIP Mr. Hill.

Bummer, the best little band from Texas.  He built a mansion on Galveston bay back in the day in San Leon (it's where all the wanna be pirates hang out).  RIP to a great blues rocker. 

A bad day - the Worlds Greatest Bar Band is no more.

I have never heard any music that could get into your blood as quickly as ZZ Top. That relentless locomotive undertone was totally unique.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Bummer, the best little band from Texas.  He built a mansion on Galveston bay back in the day in San Leon (it's where all the wanna be pirates hang out).  RIP to a great blues rocker. 

I know the very place, I used to live in Kemah. I have been(ish) to the Balinese also.

RIP. Sounds like a calm passing

• Like 2

Damn, I would have put money Frank Beard would kick the bucket first.

Saw them open the MGM Grand casio outside Washington DC 3 years ago.  Frank was still chain smoking the entire performance.

Acoustically perfect hall.   Only holds 3,000 people.

They were honored to open the new hall.

And they kicked ass and took names that evening.

Better then when I saw them play the tour for Afterburner

RIP Dusty

Despite the kitchy sound, and the false Texas BS, ZZ Top were truly great musicians, and Billy and Dusty especially were revered by musicians all over the globe. That they made themselves famous by being hilariously funny with out resorting to slapstick was pure genius.

RIP Mr. Hill.

(At least he didn't shoot himself in bed with a hooker this time!)

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

RIP Dusty,  Texas will never be the same

Texas never was "the same"....

• Like 2

well shit, big part of the soundtrack of my mis-spent youth... and then all the rest of it too... 

RIP Mr Hill, y'all gettin quite a band up there now

Tres Hombres was one of, if not the best 8 tracks for cruisin up and down the beach.

I saw a number of Clapton's guitar festival DVD's and these guys were part of one. Act after act of blues folks and these guys come out with this massive drum set and do their ZZ Top "act". It was like they came down from Mars but they blew everyone's hair back and everyone loved them, all the other artists backstage too. Really cool. The two front guys had a whole set of moves they did to address the mike stands in tandem. I had to smile.

• Like 1

Saw them at a smaller venue (a fair) about 5 years ago. After a awesome 3 song opening, BG stepped up to the mike and thanked the fans for “letting the same three guys play the same three chords for 40 years”. :lol:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Saw them at a smaller venue (a fair) about 5 years ago. After a awesome 3 song opening, BG stepped up to the mike and thanked the fans for “letting the same three guys play the same three chords for 40 years”. :lol:

I use to see them at the OC fair every year. One of my favorite bands. Last saw them at the house of blues Anaheim a few years back. Saw them first at the fabulous forum early 80s.

2 minutes ago, herbie verstinx said:

I use to see them at the OC fair every year. One of my favorite bands. Last saw them at the house of blues Anaheim a few years back. Saw them first at the fabulous forum early 80s.

Yep, OC Fair as well. 

Some of us took an evening off from prepping boats in St Tropez for the 1987 Maxi Series.  We grabbed a boat van and went to the ancient Roman amphitheater in Frejus.  ZZ Top were near the end of their huge Afterburner world tour.  It was an epic concert.  So sad to lose Dusty.

Théâtre Romain - Historical landmark in Fréjus, France | Top-Rated.Online

Vale Dusty, a lot of tributes to you on this forum and others.

They came to Oz a couple of times but regret I never got to see them live.

As a blues fan in Oz and a harp player I jammed along on board and at home to all their albums.

I hope they keep on keeping on however they can.

Cheers,

Jim

Dunno if anyone has seen this but just saw it on YouTube, Dusty's last performance.

RIP Dusty

Cheers,

Jim