Jump to content

Finn - Newest Member of the DBS


Recommended Posts

With this being the last year for the Finn in the Olympics is the Finn soon to become a member of the Dead Boat Society?

I know there is a move a foot to start making them in in the US, but is this a lot a little too late?

Thought, comments, opinions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

With this being the last year for the Finn in the Olympics is the Finn soon to become a member of the Dead Boat Society?

 

Nope. Masters fleet is still going strong (300+ boat starts), U.S. Fleet has grown in the past five years, domestic builder should help with cost of entry as well as 50% of Luca Devoti's business going away starting now.

Tempest/Tornado/Soling sailors were all able to pivot to similar boats, there is nothing in the same category as the Finn (although I'm sure someone will try to compare it to the Megabyte et al).

Current campaigners will probably join the SSL or crew on keelboats; some guys tried to drop down to Laser weight but couldn't maintain it, mostly based on frame size not body fat %. Supposedly a few guys were talking about becoming 49er Crews and partnering with slighter helmsmen, TBD.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Mark Twain quote seems appropriate: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

See (yes, Europe focused but...): https://finnworldmaster.com 

Beacon Composites (see: https://www.beacon-composites.com ) are moving right along with the Finn project. Beacon also recently became the Thistle builder and reports of their build quality and attention to detail are very positive. 

To me the challenge will be to attract younger sailers to the class and keep as many of the younger sailers that are now sailing and racing. 

I don't see the Finn Gold Cup becoming a diminished event, either. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to see if the Finn is a dead boat is to map the demographic. Over the next 5 years get the age data for every sailor you can. If the median age is going up then the end is coming no matter what people want to believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

I fear it will die. I regret it, but I fear it will

 

Over what period of time? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Star still thrives-probably it was a mistake back in the day to choose the Soling over the Etchells, when replacing the Dragon. The funny thing is, the Dragon is still around. I don't think the Finn will die, because like the Star it will have cognescenti approval forever. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bill5 said:

Over what period of time? 

5 years maybe.

It doesn't have the cheap mass appeal of the laser, or the performance of the moth. And without the Olympics it will become irrelevant.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have weekend regattas with 20-40 boats all over the country. Every little puddle has a Finn fleet. The last Masters I sailed had 350 boats. 
I was on the way to the German Nationals a few years back after visiting some friends in the Netherlands, had a few days so I stopped at a campground on the Rhein by Arnhem, there was a small sailing club there based out of the campground and there were 6 Finns racing on the Rhein.  The Class won’t go anywhere for a long time.

If you are 95+ Kg what singlehanded dinghy are you going to sail?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Finn has cult like status and following...for a lot of very good reasons, not the least of which is the camaraderie the class engenders.....it's ongoing success is already ensured by its followers...the longer term future will be impacted by it incorporating a pro-level SSL style event...and that's well underway. 80+kg and looking to explore your capabilities? The option is singular...The Finn.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

5 years maybe.

It doesn't have the cheap mass appeal of the laser, or the performance of the moth. And without the Olympics it will become irrelevant.

 

So because it is no longer an Olympic boat the hundreds of Masters guys will throw in the towel over the next 5 years? I’d put a bottle of rum against that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bill5 said:

So because it is no longer an Olympic boat the hundreds of Masters guys will throw in the towel over the next 5 years? I’d put a bottle of rum against that.

As I said, I hope you're right.  I fear you're wrong. 

If there was an objective way of deciding I'd ask where and which rum!  I'm sure it would result in a good conversation

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you’re going to find that you’re wrong, as overall, the class is doing well, and growing.  A lot of big boat people are growing tired of the big crews, and a lot of people are just seeing this as just an easy way to get out racing without all the headaches.

Like I said, I think as a class, we’re going to do just fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would sail a Finn if I wasn’t an ILCA diehard. GGM at next regatta so would slot into the Finn demographic nicely.

Edited by Laser9953
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, View from the back said:

I think you’re going to find that you’re wrong, as overall, the class is doing well, and growing.  A lot of big boat people are growing tired of the big crews, and a lot of people are just seeing this as just an easy way to get out racing without all the headaches.

Like I said, I think as a class, we’re going to do just fine.

Hence my question, looking for a class and I am too big for a Laser...  But let me add in, does the Finn class have a standing future in the US.

I know in Southern CA there is a run to get the Finn going or keep it alive, but is it on life support?  I would like to see what comes out of Beacon Composites, but hesitant to spend money on a boat that ends up being a one of..  ala NACRA 20.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ventucky Red said:

Hence my question, looking for a class and I am too big for a Laser...  But let me add in, does the Finn class have a standing future in the US.

 

Yes. The catastrophizing that new sailors won't come to the boat because they can't be Olympians is unfounded, I only think two or three guys (out of 200+) left the class because of the 2024 decision.

6 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

I know in Southern CA there is a run to get the Finn going or keep it alive, but is it on life support?  I would like to see what comes out of Beacon Composites, but hesitant to spend money on a boat that ends up being a one of..  ala NACRA 20.

1. It is not a "new run", it has been ongoing. Close to a dozen new owners have joined the fleets in San Diego, Denver, Detroit, Miami, and Mobile in the past year alone. To say that a growing, active fleet (post-nCOV-19) is on life support is a fundamental misunderstanding of the term.

2. It is not a "one-off", it is still a measurement-controlled one design. The current effort is to modernize the deck layout and controls of the Lemieux, which has already proven to be a fast boat with multiple Gold Cups, Masters Worlds, North American and National titles.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

Yes. The catastrophizing that new sailors won't come to the boat because they can't be Olympians is unfounded, I only think two or three guys (out of 200+) left the class because of the 2024 decision.

 

I get your point, but if I had $15K invested in a boat, etc.... it would be hard for me to leave too; but what about growing it? 

By my term on-off, I meant a few fleets here and there and a few boats showing up to a regatta.   Oh! By chance do you know how many showed to Long Beach, CA in July. 

Sorry for all the questions, as I am seriously looking at this, I don't want to go all in just have the class dwindle to nothing.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

I get your point, but if I had $15K invested in a boat, etc.... it would be hard for me to leave too; but what about growing it? 

By my term on-off, I meant a few fleets here and there and a few boats showing up to a regatta.   Oh! By chance do you know how many showed to Long Beach, CA in July. 

Sorry for all the questions, as I am seriously looking at this, I don't want to go all in just have the class dwindle to nothing.. 

There are more new owners coming into the fleet than those selling boats/becoming inactive/dying, hence the fleet is growing. For example, there were four new owners in Detroit in 2020; the oldest was in his early eighties, the youngest was 17, the others were somewhere in the middle.

You do not have to invest $30k+ in a new Fantastica to be competitive, most guys have >10 year old boats and spent between $5-15k.

Nationals/NA's/Master's regularly has 30+ boat starts, the continental divide being the limiting factor (Gulf Coast guys tend not to want to go to California and vice versa, Denver guys skewing to the left coast and Midwest guys South, Corpus was supposed to be a midpoint but between covid concerns, the closed Canadian border and it being a busy weekend for a lot of folks it wasn't the fabled 50-boat fleet).

17 boats were at the US Open, the third biggest fleet after Radials and Kites (and way more than the N17 and 29ers).

If you are in SoCal talk to Mike Dorgan at SDYC, he will get you hooked up.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

There are more new owners coming into the fleet than those selling boats/becoming inactive/dying, hence the fleet is growing. For example, there were four new owners in Detroit in 2020; the oldest was in his early eighties, the youngest was 17, the others were somewhere in the middle.

You do not have to invest $30k+ in a new Fantastica to be competitive, most guys have >10 year old boats and spent between $5-15k.

Nationals/NA's/Master's regularly has 30+ boat starts, the continental divide being the limiting factor (Gulf Coast guys tend not to want to go to California and vice versa, Denver guys skewing to the left coast and Midwest guys South, Corpus was supposed to be a midpoint but between covid concerns, the closed Canadian border and it being a busy weekend for a lot of folks it wasn't the fabled 50-boat fleet).

17 boats were at the US Open, the third biggest fleet after Radials and Kites (and way more than the N17 and 29ers).

If you are in SoCal talk to Mike Dorgan at SDYC, he will get you hooked up.

Thanks..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before people pile on about Finns I draw them out about their sailing experience.

So many of the trash talkers have never sailed one.   No surprise.

You go hard for years in a Laser and life is good .   You work out, no injuries , plenty of regattas to keep sharp.

Come forward a decade or two and you’re a couple surgeries down the road and you’re 210# (with a decent diet).  Still got the fire but, don’t have the quickness and knees to throw a Laser around in breeze and you’re getting torched by 140#  teenagers.

Enter the Finn.   The Cadillac of singlehanders.   
 

Heavier and more refined , you get going upwind in one and you know you can handle it with your accumulated Laser chops.   Downwind?   In breeze?   You hit your first jibe and it hits you - Finns are smooth and steady - you can work into jibing without all the crashes even a fit 70 y.o. Laser racer has to deal with.   
 

Bingo.   Welcome to first -class design and great sailors.

To you guys who talk the trash ?   You really need to do your homework & shut the f. up.   Incredible to hear the whining about “slow, fat boats.”  Particularly on a sailing forum.  
 

Shout out to all the guys who carry the class forward.   You know who you are.

 

 

3E7F638A-EB74-4763-B8D4-F30398545643.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Before people pile on about Finns I draw them out about their sailing experience.

So many of the trash talkers have never sailed one.   No surprise.

You go hard for years in a Laser and life is good .   You work out, no injuries , plenty of regattas to keep sharp.

Come forward a decade or two and you’re a couple surgeries down the road and you’re 210# (with a decent diet).  Still got the fire but, don’t have the quickness and knees to throw a Laser around in breeze and you’re getting torched by 140#  teenagers.

Enter the Finn.   The Cadillac of singlehanders.   
 

Heavier and more refined , you get going upwind in one and you know you can handle it with your accumulated Laser chops.   Downwind?   In breeze?   You hit your first jibe and it hits you - Finns are smooth and steady - you can work into jibing without all the crashes even a fit 70 y.o. Laser racer has to deal with.   
 

Bingo.   Welcome to first -class design and great sailors.

To you guys who talk the trash ?   You really need to do your homework & shut the f. up.   Incredible to hear the whining about “slow, fat boats.”  Particularly on a sailing forum.  
 

Shout out to all the guys who carry the class forward.   You know who you are.

Double thanks...  you got one... a Finn that is? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ventucky Red said:

Double thanks...  you got one... a Finn that is? 

#828

1974 Newport Finn.   Dacron North main & Needlespar stick.   Wood floor.   Working it back into shape.

Last race October 2020 - Pacific Coast Championships in Dago.   DFL every race.  Might have looked a bit nutto with a smile all day long.   Was an EPIC moment for me - found my way back to racing.   

Cool to realize THIS boat is what I need.  Great guys.   Priviledged to be able to join the racing.   Looking forward to many more.

Learned to sail in a Finn on the Charles in 1974 .   Have come full circle.  Happy dog I am.

A3AB68C5-1365-40FD-8B0C-BF8ED6F7618C.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

DFL every race.

DFL is under-rated.

5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Might have looked a bit nutto with a smile all day long.

Know this sensation well. Strongest after a period of not sailing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited upgrading my 1996 Devoti to a very nice 2008. Picking up the new boat this weekend. The 95 was actually quite competitive despite it's age though.
Will miss her
 

Finn.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GER308 said:

Excited upgrading my 1996 Devoti to a very nice 2008. Picking up the new boat this weekend. The 95 was actually quite competitive despite it's age though.
Will miss her
 

Finn.jpg

Looks to be a great started boat for someone looking to jump into the class..  shame it is not in San Diego. 

Enjoy your new ride... post pics

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...