Jump to content

Is there a path to become a US olympic sailor as an adult?


Recommended Posts

Sure, go crush it in [2024 Olympic Class Fleet].

Bora Gulari was 41 in Rio, Farrah Hall is 39, Dave Hughes is 43.

The Youth focus is because it is easier to train as a younger person in terms of injury prevention, unlearning habits, quality of life expectations, and twentysomethings typically do not have spouses/young children/elderly parents to worry about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could start with laser, a couple sets of sails and a trailer. It would make a nice documentry of an old sailor who tried.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

I could start with laser, a couple sets of sails and a trailer. It would make a nice documentry of an old sailor who tried.

Go for it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every Thursday evening and every Sunday at 2 PM you can find a group of lasers doing informal racing at the Alameda Community Sailing Center (your town).

Sometime we get James Esprey (who sailed in the Olympics in2012) to join; you'll be able to ask him all sorts of questions....

E

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black Jack said:

US Sailing seems more interested in youth. 

As well they should be. Sailing is a very physical sport. Winners must not only sit all day but they have to drink beer

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the starting point, about 4 years of full time training and racing internationally should get you there. Add another 4 years to actual medal unless you're really good already. The only restriction is cash for travel and coaching, you will need to have a boat in Europe for all the big regattas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Black Jack said:

I could start with laser, a couple sets of sails and a trailer. It would make a nice documentry of an old sailor who tried.

Do it...you may find a youtube following that pays for your campaign.  We've seen enough 20 something year olds buying a sailboat to cruise on, this could be the next thing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ncik said:

Depending on the starting point, about 4 years of full time training and racing internationally should get you there. Add another 4 years to actual medal unless you're really good already. The only restriction is cash for travel and coaching, you will need to have a boat in Europe for all the big regattas.

Some talent would help too

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 7:50 PM, fastyacht said:

Star and soling. For older. No longer. Watch the ages drop.

The Nacra gold was won by a 54 year old cancer survivor at Rio.

Four years later he is in the Olympics again, lying in 6th position . Not too shabby for a 58 year old.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, Black Jack said:

I could start with laser, a couple sets of sails and a trailer. It would make a nice documentry of an old sailor who tried.

The bar is high for older sailors in Laser.

Peter Seidenberg prolly the best known on this side of the pond.   82 y.o. and sails hard.   He frostbites with #413 in Newport.   A class act and tough competitor.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

The bar is high for older sailors in Laser.

Peter Seidenberg prolly the best known on this side of the pond.   82 y.o. and sails hard.   He frostbites with #413 in Newport.   A class act and tough competitor.

 

ICYMI Seidenberg = SeiTech

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tillerman said:

The journey is the destination.

That’s deep, man. Is that from Kung Fu?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

ICYMI Seidenberg = SeiTech

and now Dynamic

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bill5 said:

That’s deep, man. Is that from Kung Fu?

Ralph Waldo Emerson - "It's not the Destination. It's the journey." (I misquoted it slightly.)

Making the Olympics in any sport at any age is a long shot. By all means have that goal, but stay in the moment and enjoy the journey towards the goal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

The Youth focus is because it is easier to train as a younger person in terms of injury prevention, unlearning habits, quality of life expectations, and twentysomethings typically do not have spouses/young children/elderly parents to worry about.

There is also the small matter that at the highest level, sailing dinghies is an athletic occupation and physical peak is hit in your 20s. So if you want to sail dinghies at Olympic level, you need to be training intensively by your early teens in order to acquire the skills you will need to have by your mid-20s.

By all means many can enjoy sailing much later in life. Not quite the same thing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 1:32 AM, martin 'hoff said:

Get yourself at the top of the fleet in Nationals in an Olympic class.

 

Even better, the Worlds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose one could become a citizen of a nation with zero sailing and represent them, like Elizabeth Swaney on the halfpipe in Pyeongchang. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spankoka said:

I suppose one could become a citizen of a nation with zero sailing and represent them, like Elizabeth Swaney on the halfpipe in Pyeongchang. 

You need to pick suitable continent also. Getting place to olympics in sailing from Europe is not easy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 1:39 AM, dogwatch said:

There is also the small matter that at the highest level, sailing dinghies is an athletic occupation and physical peak is hit in your 20s. So if you want to sail dinghies at Olympic level, you need to be training intensively by your early teens in order to acquire the skills you will need to have by your mid-20s.

By all means many can enjoy sailing much later in life. Not quite the same thing.  

Average age of all sailors is just over 29 years.

Average for Men = 30.5 years

Average for Women = 28 1/4 years

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/sport-entries.htm

The 470 has a few pushing 40.

The windsurfers, finn and 49ers look to drag the average down a bit.

Robert Scheidt pushed the younguns in the Laser. As did Santiago Lange in the Nacra.

Someone else can get the medallists average age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ncik said:

Average age of all sailors is just over 29 years.

Average for Men = 30.5 years

Average for Women = 28 1/4 years

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/sailing/sport-entries.htm

The 470 has a few pushing 40.

The windsurfers, finn and 49ers look to drag the average down a bit.

Robert Scheidt pushed the younguns in the Laser. As did Santiago Lange in the Nacra.

Someone else can get the medallists average age.

Finns look to average about 30, Zsomby is the oldest at 35, Giles is 34, Joan Cardona is the youngest at 23 and most of the other competitors are between 28 and 32

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...