Jump to content

J/70 thoughts from owners/actual users


Recommended Posts

I know about the search function and know this has been touched on a bit before.  I have pretty much settled on this as the next boat.  Requirements-1 Bottom paint so boat can stay at dock (this eliminates most sport boats as I am not interested in lowering the boats value by large double digit percentages by applying bottom paint or rendering the boat valueless/impossible to sell)-J/70 class seems to be a bit less of an issue from a valuation standpoint.  2-I am North of 60 and although in good health, need something a little detuned compared to state of the art and I am  ok with that 3-Must be ramp launchable (no YC lifts) 4-No orphan boats, hull numbers must be North of 800 boats produced 5-Stable valuation for resale (see requirement #4) Budget 30kish or less, boat must be 2012 or newer, this number must include trailer and everything else needed to go sailing/casual racing 5 20-24ftish with at least some form of a cuddy to store Beveridge's, get out of the weather, etc.  Feel free to add comments on your thoughts and if you know of a J-70 not on any of the usual sites (SA, etc) feel free to PM me, must be east of Missisippi though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case you don't visit the Sport Boat forum:

There's one on Cape Cod that already has bottom paint on it and has been for sale for a while.  I'll see if it's still for sale.

Found it.  They even dropped the price to $29k recently.  https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/j-boats-j-70-3556560/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WCB said:

Just in case you don't visit the Sport Boat forum:

 

There's one on Cape Cod that already has bottom paint on it and has been for sale for a while.  I'll see if it's still for sale.

Found it.  They even dropped the price to $29k recently.  https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/j-boats-j-70-3556560/ 

Thanks, have contacted the broker but not heard back yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alter Ego 6 said:

Thanks, have contacted the broker but not heard back yet.

Good luck.  Looks like a lightly used boat.  

For what it's worth, it looks like the J70 fits the bill for you pretty well.  The Melges 24 could as well.  There are a number of people over 60 sailing them and the J70 isn't that much different on performance.  Agree with the lifting keel.  After a buddy ramp launched his Farr 30 a few times (actually the first time) I swore that I wouldn't get into that mess, I wanted a retractable keel boat so I considered a Flying Tiger 7.5 but they're hard to find.  I ended up with a Melges 24 and am much happier because of some of the points you raised; larger fleets, maintaining some value due to demand...etc.  Parts are easier to find too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WCB said:

Good luck.  Looks like a lightly used boat.  

For what it's worth, it looks like the J70 fits the bill for you pretty well.  The Melges 24 could as well.  There are a number of people over 60 sailing them and the J70 isn't that much different on performance.  Agree with the lifting keel.  After a buddy ramp launched his Farr 30 a few times (actually the first time) I swore that I wouldn't get into that mess, I wanted a retractable keel boat so I considered a Flying Tiger 7.5 but they're hard to find.  I ended up with a Melges 24 and am much happier because of some of the points you raised; larger fleets, maintaining some value due to demand...etc.  Parts are easier to find too.

 

M24 is arguably a better boat in ever respect but one important requirement-bottom paint.  Putting it on a M24 would easily reduce its value by thousands of dollars and also make it virtually impossible to sell at any price. Hence the thought of the 70.  Will have to try and call later tomorrow as no response on boat yet, so not sure if sold, under contract/broker busy, etc.  Thanks for your thoughts, am hoping other owners/people who have sailed one will chime in on what they think of the boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alter Ego 6 said:

M24 is arguably a better boat in ever respect but one important requirement-bottom paint.  Putting it on a M24 would easily reduce its value by thousands of dollars and also make it virtually impossible to sell at any price. Hence the thought of the 70.  Will have to try and call later tomorrow as no response on boat yet, so not sure if sold, under contract/broker busy, etc.  Thanks for your thoughts, am hoping other owners/people who have sailed one will chime in on what they think of the boat.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard more responses on the boat, maybe because of the Worlds.  Understood on the M24 bottom paint issue.  I think it's less of a problem on an older boat, especially if it's easily removed and repainted with Underwater Epoxy at some point in the future.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We love our J/70.  We have a fleet of 9 boat at our marina now.  All have bottom paint and stay in the water year round.  We race/train 3x week in the summer and once a week in the winter.  The average age of the owners in our group is definitely over 50.  Actually, not sure any owners are under 50.  We have a blast racing and usually we just race double-handed, while others race DH or 3-up.  4-up is pretty uncommon around here.  2 or 3-up is way more fun for everyone.  

Definitely prefer the 70 over the M24 for our purposes.  Our fleet has no interest in droop hiking, we like to keep the boats in the water, which allows us to leave the dock in under 10 minutes and 70 is easier to sail shorthanded.  Plus the running costs are lower since the sails are dacron and smaller.  

We spent a little to update the sails, running rigging, and bottom paint when we got our 2013 boat earlier this year.  Haven't had to spend anything on it since that initial update.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roleur said:

We love our J/70.  We have a fleet of 9 boat at our marina now.  All have bottom paint and stay in the water year round.  We race/train 3x week in the summer and once a week in the winter.  The average age of the owners in our group is definitely over 50.  Actually, not sure any owners are under 50.  We have a blast racing and usually we just race double-handed, while others race DH or 3-up.  4-up is pretty uncommon around here.  2 or 3-up is way more fun for everyone.  

Definitely prefer the 70 over the M24 for our purposes.  Our fleet has no interest in droop hiking, we like to keep the boats in the water, which allows us to leave the dock in under 10 minutes and 70 is easier to sail shorthanded.  Plus the running costs are lower since the sails are dacron and smaller.  

We spent a little to update the sails, running rigging, and bottom paint when we got our 2013 boat earlier this year.  Haven't had to spend anything on it since that initial update.  

this is awesome, and exactly the way the boat should be being used!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Roleur said:

We love our J/70.  We have a fleet of 9 boat at our marina now.  All have bottom paint and stay in the water year round.  We race/train 3x week in the summer and once a week in the winter.  The average age of the owners in our group is definitely over 50.  Actually, not sure any owners are under 50.  We have a blast racing and usually we just race double-handed, while others race DH or 3-up.  4-up is pretty uncommon around here.  2 or 3-up is way more fun for everyone.  

Definitely prefer the 70 over the M24 for our purposes.  Our fleet has no interest in droop hiking, we like to keep the boats in the water, which allows us to leave the dock in under 10 minutes and 70 is easier to sail shorthanded.  Plus the running costs are lower since the sails are dacron and smaller.  

We spent a little to update the sails, running rigging, and bottom paint when we got our 2013 boat earlier this year.  Haven't had to spend anything on it since that initial update.  

Where is this fleet?  I was in Friday Harbor last week walking past some real-estate offices and had to avert my gaze.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teener said:

Where is this fleet?  I was in Friday Harbor last week walking past some real-estate offices and had to avert my gaze.

West Sound Marina on Orcas Island.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Roleur said:

We love our J/70.  We have a fleet of 9 boat at our marina now.  All have bottom paint and stay in the water year round.  We race/train 3x week in the summer and once a week in the winter.  The average age of the owners in our group is definitely over 50.  Actually, not sure any owners are under 50.  We have a blast racing and usually we just race double-handed, while others race DH or 3-up.  4-up is pretty uncommon around here.  2 or 3-up is way more fun for everyone.  

Definitely prefer the 70 over the M24 for our purposes.  Our fleet has no interest in droop hiking, we like to keep the boats in the water, which allows us to leave the dock in under 10 minutes and 70 is easier to sail shorthanded.  Plus the running costs are lower since the sails are dacron and smaller.  

We spent a little to update the sails, running rigging, and bottom paint when we got our 2013 boat earlier this year.  Haven't had to spend anything on it since that initial update.  

Roleur, exactly the type of feedback I am looking for by an actual owner, so many thanks for that!  WCB, appreciate your thoughts as well.  Other owners or people who have sailed these feel free to chime in with the caveat of what my list of requirements are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a J70 I keep in the water most of the time on an inland lake. Its a family day sailor and club racer probably use it 2 days a week in warm months and 2-3 times a month in cooler months generally put it away for a bit in the winter. I race against Holder 20s, Ultimate 20s and M20s as well as a bunch of 4KSBs the handicap is hard to overcome but crossing the line first always feels good.  It has a very slick black widow bottom burnished to 1,000g that seams to be as fast as gelcoat at my skill level. I live 2 miles from my club I can be from my house to on the water with the sails up in less than 20 min. I leave an older jib on all the time and an older main in the cabin for day sailing, bring the good sails down to the club for racing. It super easy to pull it out of the water on the ramp for thorough cleaning or if I know i wont use it for a couple months. We previously had a larger racer/cruiser but never really did anything overnight switching to the 70 has been less maintenance and more fun.   Im over 50 but very athletic and see myself sailing this boat until I retire to the coast. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 40 something son bought a used J/70 last Summer. Right boat in the right place at the right time. It is a family day sailer.  He wants to get his wife and 2 young daughters into sailing and so far it is working. He crane launches it out of our club. A PITA as far as I’m concerned but a lot cheaper than bottom paint and a slip at the club.

Introduced his wife to racing last weekend.  Him, her (she has been on a sailboat maybe 8 times in her life.  Never raced) and me (I’m 77 and haven’t raced in 25 years).  We took 3rd in our section in a club regatta. Gave time to every boat in our section save one.  Would have had 2nd in section but we sat out Sunday because the wind was gusting in the mid20s with 4’-5’ waves and he didn’t want to turn his wife off to sailing and didn’t want to break the boat.

So far, so good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

we have 6 J70 club boats in The Netherlands. used for training and competition. all have bottompain. we can also rent them for daysailing or, if you want to, holidaying, or take it to a regatta somewhere. Most are drysailed, but if there is a good schedule, with everyday sailing, they stay in the water. If there is more than 2 days rest, they need to go on the trailer. 

I use them to go daysailing with my family as well. great fun boat and relatively overbuilt and underpowered, therefore durable. But since all are the same, it doesn't matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...