I have a Mainsail in my small and dysfunctional collection that has a rather new looking “G404” in black as the number. Anybody know who owns that number?.   
Thanks. 

Sounds like a German sail from pre-IOC numbering.  What might help is luff and foot measurements, sailmaker's patch, and if there's any IOR stamp and signatures near the tack that could ID the year.  Then it could be narrowed down.

If this sail has come off your Davidson 3/4 tonner,

I think it is probably a Royal Geelong Yacht Club number, give them a call, they should have a registry of sail numbers.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Sounds like a German sail from pre-IOC numbering.  What might help is luff and foot measurements, sailmaker's patch, and if there's any IOR stamp and signatures near the tack that could ID the year.  Then it could be narrowed down.

Even in the old days we let the Germans use D didn't we, did we ever make them use G? It would be like making the Spanish use S...

Suppose we could have made everyone use JF for Johnny Foreigner. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, European Bloke said:

Even in the old days we let the Germans use D didn't we, did we ever make them use G? It would be like making the Spanish use S...

Suppose we could have made everyone use JF for Johnny Foreigner. 

Nope.  Not in the 'old days".

Diva G

and Rubin

Sharon+Green+AC+79+%252810%2529.jpg

And Pinta

Hitchhiker+and+Pinta_.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

… and the East Germans had GO, han’t they? (“Germany Ost”)  :lol:   

Made me wonder, for a second, whether I'd ever seen any East German IOR boats.

....and then I realized that throwing The People's Money at a boat that would be obsolete before it hit the water probably wouldn't be a comfortable proposal to make to the People's Committee.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Doh ! said:

G 404 was indeed a RGYC number belonging to “Legend” aka “Singapore Girl” Davidson 34 IOR

Nice one Doh ! 
 The Sailing Anarchy brains trust comes through again. Thanks

Cheers for the posts folks, always entertaining and informative.

• Like 1

Congratulations team!  That simple question yielded not only an answer, but a heap of other fun stuff for newbies to learn from - complete with photos of yachting's heyday!  Fuck there must be some old bastards here!

• Like 1