Windelo Catamarans - Yeah or Nah? (Dah or Nyet?)

Multihull Aficionados,

An interesting YT release today for Windelo Catamarans that many of you might be interested in. 

Disclaimer: as I've already had more than my daily allotment of rum, I shall withhold any comments until my CF vacuum bagging is completed early tomorrow morning (curse you Florida summer heat).  However, the video is extremely interesting to say the least! 

First of all, it does appear that Windelo is more than vaporware... at this point in time.

Second, they actually pulled off a basalt fiber hull (no small feat) and speaks volumes of what's to come in the multihull futures arena, as basalt is (objectively & subjectively) superior to fiberglass in many ways.

Third, who is this narrator?  Good Lord you could be a little more optimistic and upbeat while introducing the brand!

Finally, a nice consolidation of features from other manufacturers and a spectacularly design coach-top with all the "transformer options" most multihull cruisers want.

WINDELO 50 ADVENTURE Catamaran. Ecologically friendly fast cruising catamaran. Official guided tour. - YouTube

Cheers!

• Like 2

All appropriate comments.

I'm still delighted they completed a basalt hull.  As a material, it is not without its drawbacks, but the basalt might be an interesting venue for some builders.  As we live in a time of 'disruption' tried-and-true industry norms may not continue to keep ahold of standard practices.  And as such basalt might see some ingress into the composites scene (finally perhaps?).  Graph is courtesy of Mafic and comes from CompositesWorld.com.

Cheers!

basalt.pdf

Tensile strength of glass is never seldom the problem (in production type boats). Weight and stiffness are. That is why you don't use S glass when carbon will do.

Lots of very exposed glass and I would not feel very good offshore in such a 'greenhouse' of a cabin. Too many gadgets like a Transformer car from the fantasy movies. I would sure like to see just what sort of measures for preventing downflooding of the hulls through the passaged from the deckhouse down into the hulls. They better be fully watertight proper companionways or this boat may end up like that Gunboat that had the glass in the house knocked out. Full height sliding glass patio doors facing the bow! Get serious...

Other that those minors issues I do like the overall proportions of the hull and rig. Not sure why they don't rotate that large sectioned mast and would like to see how they do so as an 'option'. Another 'Sport Option' is the elimination of the forward crossbeam on the sport version. 

• Like 1

Structurally I think the whole glass window structure is lacking things like enough mullions to support the roof.

When I saw the inside cockpit my first thought was "how do they keep the water from the ropes out of the interior". But they thought about that. The forward part is a 'wet space' with drains. They have an interior sliding door as a backup to keep the water out of the aft part of the boat.

It's sort of the logical progression of the Gunboat/Atlantic cats. Fit a forward cockpit so you can see everything better. Hey that sucks we keep getting cold and wet. Ok, we'll enclose the front of the cockpit.

image.thumb.png.d76a9d003154b28e0bcab0db91a67ef1.png

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

or this boat may end up like that Gunboat that had the glass in the house knocked out.

Interesting.  I knew of the Leopard that had it's front windows kicked-in by a set of violent waves, but I was not aware something similar happened on a GB.  Do you recall which one?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ruminator said:

Interesting.  I knew of the Leopard that had it's front windows kicked-in by a set of violent waves, but I was not aware something similar happened on a GB.  Do you recall which one?

Thanks!

That would be the RAINMAKER in the post above yours.

in regards the fwd cockpit: one fine day on my delivery of my Catana, we were bashing into about 6-8’ maybe occasional 10, short period GOM waves. I took one badly and it washed over my cabin top, down the back of my wife’s foulie as she was entering the cockpit from the salon. Given that, in wx not hideously bad, you can take a bit of a greenie, aint no way I want an effin’ front porch to scoop up salt water into my boat.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I guess in my recollection of the Rainmaker saga, I did not realize that she had lost her saloon windows.  I thought the dismasting was the driver to abandon ship.  With the visual record of her hull (when found) makes sense that at some point the glass went poof!

A friend of mine drives a 150' for a private family.  Over drinks and discussions one evening at anchor, I callously retorted something about 'how easy it must be to drive a big boat' (ok, it was the rum talking...).  He calmly responded to me with a cold personal stare; "that there is no such thing as a big boat, when the sea is angry".  And I have to say that after all this time - no truer words have I ever heard from a professional captain.  So the front-porch is also not on my 'must have' list either.

Not a fan of the new Kinetic's then are you? :unsure:

On 8/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Ruminator said:

Thanks.  I guess in my recollection of the Rainmaker saga, I did not realize that she had lost her saloon windows.  I thought the dismasting was the driver to abandon ship.  With the visual record of her hull (when found) makes sense that at some point the glass went poof!

A friend of mine drives a 150' for a private family.  Over drinks and discussions one evening at anchor, I callously retorted something about 'how easy it must be to drive a big boat' (ok, it was the rum talking...).  He calmly responded to me with a cold personal stare; "that there is no such thing as a big boat, when the sea is angry".  And I have to say that after all this time - no truer words have I ever heard from a professional captain.  So the front-porch is also not on my 'must have' list either.

Not a fan of the new Kinetic's then are you? :unsure:

I’ve been on aircraft carriers in seas that made me apprehensive. You keep saying to yourself: “Self, I know it can take it, and there’s nothing I can do about it anyway”.

4 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

I’ve been on aircraft carriers in seas that made me apprehensive.

Seen the flight deck awash, have you?

My Dad was on the carrier INTREPID after she had been modified with what they called a 'hurricane bow'. Originally the flight deck was sort of up on posts raised above the sheerline and foredeck where the anchor gear and capstans and stuff normally are. Those foredecks really took a beating and disturbed airflow over the flight deck above so the mods filled all that in with a nice clean fairing with only the two horns of the catapults sticking out above. They were on some war games/joint operation with NATO and the Captain had his sailing orders to meet with the rest of the fleet and by God he was determined to get there on time! There was a hurricane brewing right on the route to the rendezvous and the ship could have sailed around it but the extra distance and reduced speed due to the big swell getting tossed up by the storm put them behind schedule. The Captain gave orders on the bridge to hold course on the rhumbline and proceed at flank speed. It wasn't long before those cat horns on the bow started clipping the tops of the seas and Dad said the shudder from the impact would go through the whole hull and superstructure and everyone on the bridge was sort of looking at each other with a "WTF is the Old Man doing?!" look. I think my Dad was in the engineering department then but standing watch on the bridge so he got on the phone to the engine room and asked how it was going down there and sort of repeated what was said on the other end in hopes that the skipper would hear and maybe reduce shaft speed and ease up on the old girl. The word from below was that the flexing of the hull was doing a number of the prop shaft alignment and the many bearings and journals on those long heavy shafts. Dad tried to give a carefully worded 'suggestion' to the Captain based on that info but the Capt would not hear of 'slowing down'. Dad was trying to think of a way to say in the immortal words of Mr Scotty in StarTrek "I'm giving her all she's got, captain!"

Before he could come up with something that could be construed as insubordination, a bigger wave came right over the bows and when the green water and spray had cleared they could see both catapults housings were folded back sticking nearly straight up! That left a lot of flooding in the once fairly watertight foredeck compartments just making the situation worse and the ship had to slow down and head back for Norfolk at a seriously crippled speed and missed the whole NATO dog and pony show. 

Captain got court martialed I think and pretty sure he lost his command. Probably spent the rest of his Navy career shuffling papers at some frozen post in the Aleutians. 

Better days for the old warhorse

Pier 86 — Hudson River Park

Before and after photos of the angle flight deck and hurricane bow/catapult conversion

USS_Intrepid_SCB_modernizationsEdited.jpg

42 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

My Dad was on the carrier INTREPID after she had been modified with what they called a 'hurricane bow'. Originally the flight deck was sort of up on posts raised above the sheerline and foredeck where the anchor gear and capstans and stuff normally are. Those foredecks really took a beating and disturbed airflow over the flight deck above so the mods filled all that in with a nice clean fairing with only the two horns of the catapults sticking out above. They were on some war games/joint operation with NATO and the Captain had his sailing orders to meet with the rest of the fleet and by God he was determined to get there on time! There was a hurricane brewing right on the route to the rendezvous and the ship could have sailed around it but the extra distance and reduced speed due to the big swell getting tossed up by the storm put them behind schedule. The Captain gave orders on the bridge to hold course on the rhumbline and proceed at flank speed. It wasn't long before those cat horns on the bow started clipping the tops of the seas and Dad said the shudder from the impact would go through the whole hull and superstructure and everyone on the bridge was sort of looking at each other with a "WTF is the Old Man doing?!" look. I think my Dad was in the engineering department then but standing watch on the bridge so he got on the phone to the engine room and asked how it was going down there and sort of repeated what was said on the other end in hopes that the skipper would hear and maybe reduce shaft speed and ease up on the old girl. The word from below was that the flexing of the hull was doing a number of the prop shaft alignment and the many bearings and journals on those long heavy shafts. Dad tried to give a carefully worded 'suggestion' to the Captain based on that info but the Capt would not hear of 'slowing down'. Dad was trying to think of a way to say in the immortal words of Mr Scotty in StarTrek "I'm giving her all she's got, captain!"

Before he could come up with something that could be construed as insubordination, a bigger wave came right over the bows and when the green water and spray had cleared they could see both catapults housings were folded back sticking nearly straight up! That left a lot of flooding in the once fairly watertight foredeck compartments just making the situation worse and the ship had to slow down and head back for Norfolk at a seriously crippled speed and missed the whole NATO dog and pony show. 

Captain got court martialed I think and pretty sure he lost his command. Probably spent the rest of his Navy career shuffling papers at some frozen post in the Aleutians. 

Better days for the old warhorse

Pier 86 — Hudson River Park

Before and after photos of the angle flight deck and hurricane bow/catapult conversion

USS_Intrepid_SCB_modernizationsEdited.jpg

Those horns on the bow are called “bridle catchers”. Jets used to have a harness called a “bridle” hooked to them, and then the bridle was hooked to the catapult. The Jet continued at the end of the cat shot, but the bridle stayed with the ship.

”Scotty” btw, was a genuine war hero in WW2 I believe it was.

• 1 month later...

Yeah!

I registered an account here just to announce to the world that I'm a fan! I visited the Windelo 50 twice in Cannes. 

Like you, I think there needs to be some solution to prevent warships from breaking its cockpit windows.

DSC_4470-3.jpg

• Like 1

Cool!  I'm glad you were onboard.  

1. What was your perception of the fit & finish?

2.  Any more pictures to share?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Ruminator said:

Cool!  I'm glad you were onboard.  

1. What was your perception of the fit & finish?

2.  Any more pictures to share?

Cheers!

1. Not brilliant.  The Windelo person did, however, apologize beforehand, and gave me the impression that while hull #1 had more prototype spirit in it, hull #2 would be a significant improvement. 

I loved the style/design, though. Just before going there I happened to watch a Dieter Rams documentary, and I think there was distinctly something from that world in the nature of the Windelo. Plain, hard, maybe even as far as 'brutal', in an aesthetically pleasing way. 

2. Absolutely! I'll add as many as will fit here. There are a few more on the blog (nakedsailor.blog). I hope I get a chance to fly down and experience being aboard a sailing one in the not-to-far away future.

DSC_4464.jpg

DSC_4465.jpg

DSC_4463.jpg

DSC_4490.jpg

DSC_4560.jpg

DSC_4495.jpg

DSC_4563-HDR.jpg

DSC_4588-HDR-2.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/21/2021 at 10:56 AM, NakedSailor said:

1. Not brilliant.  The Windelo person did, however, apologize beforehand, and gave me the impression that while hull #1 had more prototype spirit in it, hull #2 would be a significant improvement. 

I loved the style/design, though. Just before going there I happened to watch a Dieter Rams documentary, and I think there was distinctly something from that world in the nature of the Windelo. Plain, hard, maybe even as far as 'brutal', in an aesthetically pleasing way. 

2. Absolutely! I'll add as many as will fit here. There are a few more on the blog (nakedsailor.blog). I hope I get a chance to fly down and experience being aboard a sailing one in the not-to-far away future.

Thanks for sharing.  Always good to get an account from someone who has physically been onboard!

Also not uncommon in anyway to have the fit & finish issues for a new builder and a new model.  We shall see how they improve though.

Finally, that's a big a** wrap-around window in that cabin photo!  I hope they have enough rigidity/strength to spare with that Basalt hull.

Cheers!