Hey All - In the process of selling (very sadly) my J-99 (USA 31) for a J-112e (USA 11235.) Would be interested to hear how the development of the 112e class has gone. I am probably 2 weeks from getting 11235 (#35) shipped up from Tampa Bay to Atlantic Highlands, NJ. We had a great year racing last year on the 99 with a bunch of wins in shortened season. This year was a little tougher with a midfleet showing at Block Island due to a breakdown and a bad OCS - and got moved into A1 at the home fleet so now I have fight off J-111s, 109s, Farr 395s. Tough but I still love the 99.  The 112 is more of the perfect sweet spot for racing and cruising and based in what I can see it does very well with its rating. It also seems like the better boat for a Bermuda race. BTW Congrats to team Elevation for the win on Bayview Mac!

So general questions:

Rig Tune / Mast Butt Position? On the 99 we were setting up the Caps at 700kg, the D2s at like 150kg, and the D1s at like 250kg (light) and 400kg (heavy). Mast Butt we had max forward for rake. 

Sails - boat has a big inventory of Doyle Stratis Main/Jib (Light & Heavy) And Doyle A 1.5-2-3 and a zero. On the 99 I was all 3di with a A2 & 4 and very happy. 

Nav - its odd to me that there isnt a Nav Panel at the station (its on the binnacle) - do people just use and IPad downstairs when looking at the paper chart? I saw Elevation put one down there, I would do the same eventually. 

Bob Stay - owner put it in for the code zero - do you use it when doing W/L with A1.5, 2, 3. The 99 was a fixed sprit with a bob stay so no issue - except making sure it didnt cut through the mooring lines in a blow.

Inhaulers - the system on the 99 was great, it sounds like the 112 is track but with a inhauler on the cabin house. Any advice here is appreciated.

Other tips on the 112 are appreciated - cant wait to get it now!

I agree about the chart plotter on the binnacle, I think it would be great. Having seen a bunch of Wheel J's without the plotter there I wondered if it was a problem with the main sheet being so close and getting tangled. 

Coming into a strange harbour there is something great about looking down at the plotter as you are helming in.  

I know the previous owner, and before the J/112e he owned a J/109.  If you look at race results you'll see he did very well with the J/112e when he had it in Boston. If you are able to communicate with him I would see if you could pick his brain for some ideas.  I don't want to get in the middle of any pending deals but if your broker could arrange something for communications, you might consider that. I'm sure even after you've closed, that he would be happy to pass on what he learned about the boat. Good luck with your new ride!

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, GHarring19 said:

Hey All - In the process of selling (very sadly) my J-99 (USA 31) for a J-112e (USA 11235.) Would be interested to hear how the development of the 112e class has gone. I am probably 2 weeks from getting 11235 (#35) shipped up from Tampa Bay to Atlantic Highlands, NJ. We had a great year racing last year on the 99 with a bunch of wins in shortened season. This year was a little tougher with a midfleet showing at Block Island due to a breakdown and a bad OCS - and got moved into A1 at the home fleet so now I have fight off J-111s, 109s, Farr 395s. Tough but I still love the 99.  The 112 is more of the perfect sweet spot for racing and cruising and based in what I can see it does very well with its rating. It also seems like the better boat for a Bermuda race. BTW Congrats to team Elevation for the win on Bayview Mac!

So general questions:

Rig Tune / Mast Butt Position? On the 99 we were setting up the Caps at 700kg, the D2s at like 150kg, and the D1s at like 250kg (light) and 400kg (heavy). Mast Butt we had max forward for rake. 

Sails - boat has a big inventory of Doyle Stratis Main/Jib (Light & Heavy) And Doyle A 1.5-2-3 and a zero. On the 99 I was all 3di with a A2 & 4 and very happy. 

Nav - its odd to me that there isnt a Nav Panel at the station (its on the binnacle) - do people just use and IPad downstairs when looking at the paper chart? I saw Elevation put one down there, I would do the same eventually. 

Bob Stay - owner put it in for the code zero - do you use it when doing W/L with A1.5, 2, 3. The 99 was a fixed sprit with a bob stay so no issue - except making sure it didnt cut through the mooring lines in a blow.

Inhaulers - the system on the 99 was great, it sounds like the 112 is track but with a inhauler on the cabin house. Any advice here is appreciated.

Other tips on the 112 are appreciated - cant wait to get it now!

I have a 9” plotter on the pedistal, its a custom designed box + handle for a wider fit. Gives a great overview, and takes the stress out of situations, especially when sailing a lot in shallow waters.

Setup works really well, but pay attention to the tilt and hight, it took me most of a day to nail it. 

It’s also connected to a smaller 7” down below for remote planning and overview by crew or myself. 

Inhauler works best from same side as the sheet, been tested this for 3 seasons now.
You almost always need to adjust both at the same time. It also gives a better angle, plus lines don’t mess with the window. 

Remi-DK, do you find you have to move the jib lead back to compensate for the application of the in-hauler as well? We found, as it appears you did, that the application of the in-hauler really hooked the leech of the jib and we struggle to get it looking correct afterward. 

I am an hour away from the boat so I haven't been able to look at the layout to see how you might do this, can you post a photo of how you re-rigged to get the inhauler control on the same side as the sheet? 

Thanks, 

Dan 

19 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Remi-DK, do you find you have to move the jib lead back to compensate for the application of the in-hauler as well? We found, as it appears you did, that the application of the in-hauler really hooked the leech of the jib and we struggle to get it looking correct afterward. 

I am an hour away from the boat so I haven't been able to look at the layout to see how you might do this, can you post a photo of how you re-rigged to get the inhauler control on the same side as the sheet? 

Thanks, 

Dan 

On my J/109 the jib car will be adjusted when inhauling too. 

I have an inhaul system that I designed with adjustment from either side doing both inhaulers at the same time.  It is described on this J/109 forum post.

10 hours ago, WHK said:

On my J/109 the jib car will be adjusted when inhauling too. 

I have an inhaul system that I designed with adjustment from either side doing both inhaulers at the same time.  It is described on this J/109 forum post.

That looks like I might be able to just re-route the existing lines. Thanks.

Can you tell me how you got the lines and labels to stay on the non-skid? 

45 minutes ago, danstanford said:

Can you tell me how you got the lines and labels to stay on the non-skid? 

I masked an area on the non-skid then screened on gelcoat thickened with colloidal silica.  Once it kicks you can wet sand and put on any adhesive backed labels you want.

• Like 1

On my (now former) J/88 I used white Gorilla Tape first and then stuck the labels to that. The Gorilla Tape has great adhesion and doesn't appear to deteriorate like Duct Tape.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, JJK said:

On my (now former) J/88 I used white Gorilla Tape first and then stuck the labels to that. The Gorilla Tape has great adhesion and doesn't appear to deteriorate like Duct Tape.

Fantastic idea JJK, I don't like the idea of modifying the boat's non-skid but would be happy to replace the tape and labels as needed.