What type of ship is this

Off the coast of Atlantic City NJ under way and towing something behind it. Did not respond on channel 16 

2F081B22-95B9-4987-8922-2E531AE9E244.jpeg

Thank Max 

I was heading south and the ship was heading east he slowed down so he saw me I pass about 1/2 mile in front of him. The light tower was different than anything I have ever seen. Didn’t think about channel 13. What ever it was towing had white blinking lights on it and no NAV lights on it. 

There have been dredging operations up and down the coast for a couple of years now and the lights look familiar. Beach replenishment. They were also on the bayside last year and a couple of powerboats went between the ship and dredge barge, hitting the flow pipe and causing themselves much misery.

18 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Seamanship Rule: If it's big and lit up like a football stadium, keep away

FB- Doug

I was planning on passing behind but he dropped his speed when we were about a mile and a half apart. If he maintained his speed I would have passed well behind. So I maintained my course and speed and passed 1/2 a mile ahead. 

Military. I take you don't have AIS. I bet she wouldn't have shown on AIS

The military US and other generally do transmit AIS and US almost always in traffic lanes.  Like Osprey said 13 is your friend, most night watches will be tuning out 16 but have 13 close for bridge to bridge.  Also try 11 if 13 doesn't work.  We have had great luck all over with the AIS combo of having ship name and trying 16, 13 and 11.

You have the option of bridge to bridge communication with AIS vessels. I’ve only used it once offshore in a storm when I thought I would be lost in wave clutter. The container ship responded immediately and once I provided my lat. and long. they asked that I hold my course and speed while they altered course. 

'Rule 27 : Vessels ........ restricted in their ability to manoeuvre

• (b) A vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre, except a vessel engaged in mine-clearance operations, shall exhibit:
    • (i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
    • (iii) when making way through the water, a masthead light or lights, sidelights and a sternlight, in addition to the lights prescribed in sub-paragraph (i)'
    •  
  •  
  • What I can see is two sets of RWR on either side of her mast. Why two sets? To make sure they are visible through 360* . Below them is her red port sidelight. Two white lights are her steaming - or masthead - lights so she is underway. The yellow lights and a few stray white lights are just working lights. She has a gantry of some sort right aft.
  • Q? How far astern was the 'tow'?
  • My guess is that if they were quite close she is pipelaying and the flashing lights mark the end of her 'stinger'.

See the first piccy here http://offshore-fleet.com/data/pipelay-vessel.htm

•  
  • Like 1

Just had a look on MarineTraffic. Has a few interesting ships in that area including survey ship 'Ocean Observer'

2nd rule Northbound Malacca Strait , ships on left , land on right .

visa versa if going South .

doesn't work quite so well in the Red Sea .

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mid said:

We used to skirt the edge of the traffic zone going N in the Gulf of Suez headed for the canal, thinking all the N-bound ships would leave us to stbd. Wrong. Even though we were outside the traffic zone, ships sometimes passed us close on both sides, well outside the zone. We called that a “Calypso Sandwich”, after the name of our boat.

There’s  not much that gets you going like two big ships passing you close on both sides at 12 kt when you are doing six.

This was the strangest lighting on a ship I have ever seen. Was curious as to what she was. It was a windless clear night and no sea. Not concerned about a collision as we could have motored in any direction we were in deep water. And the ship was down to dead slow. I had Just bought Tara and  we were taking Tara to her new home in Oriental NC. Tara right now has no AIS but has Radar, AIS  soon to be added. Unfortunately not a good picture I phone on full voom. 

14 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

The military US and other generally do transmit AIS and US almost always in traffic lanes.  Like Osprey said 13 is your friend, most night watches will be tuning out 16 but have 13 close for bridge to bridge.  Also try 11 if 13 doesn't work.  We have had great luck all over with the AIS combo of having ship name and trying 16, 13 and 11.

oh yes, they generally do. But you are here in the PNW, have you never been near a military vessel not broadcasting AIS? Or had problems with your radar when nearby one of them not showing on the AIS? Ive even seen a carrier suddenly light up from darkness while in the straits. They dont follow our rules all the time, but generally they do.

I think both these vessels in the pics are military. Maybe the USMC Helicopter carriers. That is a total guess, but I'd bet lunch they are both military.

For sure have seen some weird stuff, had the some disappear act in San Diego, could see the boat on radar and physically see it then nothing on radar..  most of the coastal patrol guy we saw had AIS multiple countries.  Will say the one time I tried to haul a navy ship in Puget sound I got nowhere.  Ended up calling traffic instead.  They can be total dicks but will always answer if you are in or near a traffic scheme.  Sometimes that's nice as a green light from them gets spread around.

We had weird one with the Mexican navy coming up the coast. Two identical patrol boats one with AIS one without, took a while to sort that out.

By far my favorite wierd passing was when. We came by the Nina.  Trying to OD a Spanish Galleon is a trip, and they had AIS and we're doing 90 deg tacks at four knots.

Red - White - Red (RIAM) are not typically used by a tugboat. They often have them but don't display them when towing a "normal" tow.

Dredges, yes for sure.

And to help you remember Red - Red ("Red over red, Captain's dead") is the mnemonic for Not Under Command. RIAM is the opposite :)

The smart money is on 'Ocean Researcher' due to her gantry aft.

There are three British survey ships - Ocean Researcher, Ocean Observer, and Ocean Endeavour - creeping around in that area just now, maybe doing seismic work. The lights seen are a match for that sort of work.

Ocean.jpg

17 hours ago, accnick said:

ships sometimes passed us close on both sides, well outside the zone.

yep , had the same , floating bombs ( LPG Carriers) cutting corners ...

I've cleaned up the original photo a bit so you are only seeing her nav lights.

Meanwhile I have been watching the tracks of thos three survey ships working off the mouth of the Delaware.

Maybe they are doing bottom surveys for proposed wind farms.

2F081B22-95B9-4987-8922-2E531AE9E244.thumb.jpeg.c201573aa8c8794912544dc423b8d2d9.jpg

For what it’s worth, sometimes you see ships/boats that are supposed to have all-round lights in a row vertically (r-w-r, r-r, w-r, r-w, etc) will have 2 sets on either side of a mast so as to be actually visible all the way around.  Guessing this is the case here?  Dunno.  Otherwise looks like a standard masthead, fwd masthead, RAM (2 sets) and port side light.

On another subject, around here have been noticing that the USCG fast rescue and motor lifeboats have also been running around with no AIS.  Of all the government boats you’d actually want to find….

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 6:26 PM, Mid said:

had some wierd lights come and go last time i did that transit

5 hours ago, 167149 said:

had some wierd lights come and go last time i did that transit

Malacca Strait ? Fishermen

Red Sea ? Fast movers

7 hours ago, Mid said:

Malacca Strait ? Fishermen

Red Sea ? Fast movers

Malacca, fast moving and dissappear also on the beam roared up and sat 1/2 mile off and vanished

1 hour ago, 167149 said:

Malacca, fast moving and dissappear also on the beam roared up and sat 1/2 mile off and vanished

Malay anti smuggling patrol , possibility . May have not even been interested in you but a small unlit longtail .