Jump to content

The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ummm...not having 0.27 percent of your adult population die is kinda a benefit. That would be over 13,000 (not under 30) for NZ  I think? 

True, not having that many deaths is a benefit. But how real is the number today with the changes in treatment and vaccination. 

The point I was trying to make is that at some point we need to stop living in total fear, that we need to stop believing we can save everybody. Our reaction of elimination was great at the beginning, but we need to come up with a plan to move on. As was pointed out recently with regards to our plan - hope is not a strategy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An excerpt from an excellent interview covering almost everything Covid https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/health/article/covid-expert-ben-neuman-vaccines-can-beat-variant-16412468.ph

Someone messaged me in a very amicable way to ask about my decision on the booster, and noted that forum members who argued about the vaccine and then declined to say whether they have been vaccinated

Yes, maybe it comes with windows 11.

Posted Images

Sure. Similar to problem Australia will have once the travelers start going to Hawaii and Bali. So much focus on keeping infested bad people out, not a lot of thinking about what happens when fine citizens go to infested places. At the least some will get sick and even die on vacay. 

Going to be a real shocker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gissie said:

True, not having that many deaths is a benefit. But how real is the number today with the changes in treatment and vaccination. 

The point I was trying to make is that at some point we need to stop living in total fear, that we need to stop believing we can save everybody. Our reaction of elimination was great at the beginning, but we need to come up with a plan to move on. As was pointed out recently with regards to our plan - hope is not a strategy.

We have had 100,000 and more dead since vaccines were available. 1800 dead the last day or so. One day.

Just because it was a flawed plan, at least you didn't lose so many.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The changes in treatment were developed starting 2020.  Trial and error in some cases. 

Can't apply current treatments retroactively.

I have no idea politically or psychologically how they will go from "elimination" to whatever they end up with 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I have no idea politically or psychologically how they will go from "elimination" to whatever they end up with 

Unfortunately our government seems to be as knowledgeable on the way forward as you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You obviously don't like your government, Gissie, but their strategy has worked remarkably well, and now comes the difficult transition to opening up. The recipe is simple, get as many people vaccinated as soon as possible. Meanwhile, maintain some level of lockdown that is not too severe, and slowly ease restrictions but keep things like masks in all indoor public places along with social distancing. Basically you will transition to our situation, but without all the deaths we have experienced, and with a remarkably well-vaccinated population that should keep cases low once you do open. (Which is looking far better than us. We've has vaccines since late December and readily available to all adults since May, and teenagers since early fall, and still my county is at only 65% of eligible folk with one shot and 62% with two shots.) It seems that's what the plan is and it seems rational to me. I for one have fingers and toes crossed for you all, I hope it doesn't get too bad too quickly and the transition works out. Do you have a better plan?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gissie said:

Unfortunately our government seems to be as knowledgeable on the way forward as you.

Maybe I could be a political advisor!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

"Without some changes"!  Hell you have been the one saying how great the New Zealand economy was doing reapeating the BS from the Finance Minister while ignoring the fundamentals!  Record numbers of businesses going bust, GDP driven by printed money being spent on the non productive inflation of property prices and the purchase of motor vehicles.  Public and private debt levels increasing at record rates.

The chickens are coming home to roost now.  The reality is being felt by the rank and file.  All of which was predictable.

You must be living in la la land if you think the money that the Government is using to prop up business via wage subsidies is being spent on property investment. 

Wages continue to be spent by the vast majority of the population on the consumables needed to stay alive.

Some business will fail, as they have always done, and that will happen with or without the support of Government, specially in the travel and hospitality industries which has diminished just because we have a pandemic which discourages people from doing the things they used to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the relevance to this discussion in the booster shot thread ……..I guess those who feel strongly that the lockdowns  should end asap are vigorously in favor of any and all strategies that can bring their economy back to some level of normal unsupported activity including vaccines and boosters.   
 

Like Sweden with its 80%+ vaccination rate!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Maybe I could be a political advisor!  

You would be welcome to many of us, unfortunately you seem to have common sense, so it is unlikely your advice would be acceptable...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

So the relevance to this discussion in the booster shot thread ……..I guess those who feel strongly that the lockdowns  should end asap are vigorously in favor of any and all strategies that can bring their economy back to some level of normal unsupported activity including vaccines and boosters.   
 

Like Sweden with its 80%+ vaccination rate!

This. Was having this discussion yesterday. I am now back in my home State where there are no covid cases in the community ATM. This is not a situation that can hold forever or even very long. We MUST get the vax percentage up as high as possible to minimise the impact on the hospitals and health system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Welcome to CA. You seem to be one of Kate and Wess's buddies, at least Kate likes you, trying to downplay the severity of this pandemic. From the very beginning we have known that it mostly kills older folk. Here's the numbers from my county, closing in on 200 deaths among 220,000 people. Mostly older, although I note 29 in my age group and I don't yet consider myself old. Nevertheless there ARE younger folk dying of it, and at this point completely avoidable, especially the 30+ since delta started spreading here. And we have not started talking about long covid.

389749236_ScreenShot2021-10-06at4_31_16PM.png.0e34be6d5f0e32cefac75d5bc1244c86.png

Perhaps you should try perusing this site, countless covidiots aged 30-70 whose idiocy led to their deaths, again, all unnecessary. I hope you are not of their kind.

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

The entire point of that particular graph in the study is that "we have known that it mostly kills older folk" is not true.  People believe otherwise and they're wrong to do so.  That's a piece of misinformation that is right there in black and white for you, and translating the highlight of that huge misconception into "downplaying the severity" is absurd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tharsheblows said:

I believe he was questioning where you got the assumption that 0.27 percent of the population would die by implying that that number is higher than the death rate of Sweden (the country that probably took the least draconian measures of the first world countries). 

I'm not weighing in on the accuracy of his comment, just that the relevance of mentioning Sweden is fairly apparent.

Ah yes, the old "Sweden did just fine and did not have lockdowns" myth. Generally spread by RWNJs, but I don't get the connection and supposed anybody could fall for it.

Sweden DID have lockdowns, after a horrifying wave of deaths. So... you're wrong. The "relevance" of Sweden is not what you think it is.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, coyotepup said:

The entire point of that particular graph in the study is that "we have known that it mostly kills older folk" is not true.  People believe otherwise and they're wrong to do so.  That's a piece of misinformation that is right there in black and white for you, and translating the highlight of that huge misconception into "downplaying the severity" is absurd.

Why bother at all?

Everybody who is currently living is going to die.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ah yes, the old "Sweden did just fine and did not have lockdowns" myth. Generally spread by RWNJs, but I don't get the connection and supposed anybody could fall for it.

Sweden DID have lockdowns, after a horrifying wave of deaths. So... you're wrong. The "relevance" of Sweden is not what you think it is.

- DSK

No, that's not what I said.  I said "the country that probably took the least draconian measures of the first world countries."  I did not say" Sweden did not have lockdowns."

Also, I did not say that Sweden's death rate was great or that Sweden fared well. I merely stated that  "I believe he was questioning where you got the assumption that 0.27 percent of the population would die by implying that that number is higher than the death rate of Sweden"

Soo...no...nothing I said was wrong.

 

Whether you like Sweden's strategy or not, it is true that they took less precautions than most of the first world countries and so their death rate is a relevant data point when debating what might have happened in other countries had those counties done less.  (Not a perfect reference point obviously because, as we all know, there are many other relevant factors such as population density, weather, cultural behaviors, etc..., but a relevant reference point all the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tharsheblows said:

Also, I did not say that Sweden's death rate was great or that Sweden fared well. I merely stated that  "I believe he was questioning where you got the assumption that 0.27 percent of the population would die by implying that that number is higher than the death rate of Sweden"

That's correct.

If you look at excess deaths in Sweden over the period of the pandemic it is 2%.  Their strategy was touted by many as leading to a disaster.  That was when Sweden was about 20th on the global score card of deaths per population.

According to Worldometer it is now 50th.

Even without vaccination and assuming NZ would have the same excess mortality rate as Sweden the toll from Covid would be less than 1,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tharsheblows said:

...

Whether you like Sweden's strategy or not, it is true that they took less precautions than most of the first world countries

 Not even close to true.

Go and look on Sweden's own Ministry of Health web page, they authorized local institutions to decide on lockdowns for themselves and gave some guidelines on making the decision. Net result, Sweden had more lockdowns than the USA, -and- those lockdowns were effective because people complied readily.

What Sweden did NOT have: mobs of boneheads were not marching around with weapons threatening their local gov't.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

You must be living in la la land if you think the money that the Government is using to prop up business via wage subsidies is being spent on property investment. 

But @Terry Hollis you have been spruiking how well NZ's GDP is going when the stats show that it is being bolstered by property price inflation!!!!  So if the Quantitative Easing (QE) isn't driving that (theory says it is) what is?

18 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

Some business will fail, as they have always done, and that will happen with or without the support of Government, specially in the travel and hospitality industries which has diminished just because we have a pandemic which discourages people from doing the things they used to do.

In record numbers in an economy you say is doing fantastic!!!  Economic reality isn't just affecting travel and hospitality industries.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Go and look on Sweden's own Ministry of Health web page, they authorized local institutions to decide on lockdowns for themselves and gave some guidelines on making the decision. Net result, Sweden had more lockdowns than the USA, -and- those lockdowns were effective because people complied readily.

 

Your data to support that supposition comes from where?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:
9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Go and look on Sweden's own Ministry of Health web page, they authorized local institutions to decide on lockdowns for themselves and gave some guidelines on making the decision. Net result, Sweden had more lockdowns than the USA, -and- those lockdowns were effective because people complied readily.

 

Your data to support that supposition comes from where?

I thought this was pretty obvious.

Or, keep repeating your RWNJ fables...

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Go and look on Sweden's own Ministry of Health web page, they authorized local institutions to decide on lockdowns for themselves and gave some guidelines on making the decision. Net result, Sweden had more lockdowns than the USA, -and- those lockdowns were effective because people complied readily.

Where is the data to support your statement?

Sweden didn't close down schools and daycare for young children.  I would have thought that that was fundamental to your case for "effective" lockdowns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Where is the data to support your statement?

Sweden didn't close down schools and daycare for young children.  I would have thought that that was fundamental to your case for "effective" lockdowns.

Moving the goalposts? How young is "young children." You said NO LOCKDOWNS in Sweden, now you're saying well yeah they did but not "schools and young children."

Look on Sweden's own health ministry web page, and get the facts.

Or keep repeating your favorite fairy tales, I don't really care.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I thought this was pretty obvious.

Or, keep repeating your RWNJ fables...

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

 Not even close to true.

Go and look on Sweden's own Ministry of Health web page, they authorized local institutions to decide on lockdowns for themselves and gave some guidelines on making the decision. Net result, Sweden had more lockdowns than the USA, -and- those lockdowns were effective because people complied readily.

What Sweden did NOT have: mobs of boneheads were not marching around with weapons threatening their local gov't.

- DSK

 

For better or worse, it is absolutely true that Sweden imposed less Draconian measures than most first world countries.  Half the conversation about Sweden over the last few years has been criticizing them for being irresponsible for doing so. 

Sure, you can point to differences in culture and compliance behavior and hypothesize that that's the reason why they fared better than countries with more restrictive policies ...but such hypotheses are pretty hard to prove because there are probably many contributing factors.

Spin it how you want but the statement that: "Sweden imposed less Draconian measures than most first world countries and is in the middle of the pack as far a death rate compared to the rest of the European Economic Zone" is absolutely true.

 

While there are many ways to measure and compare lock-downs, here is a bit about schools in Sweden that wouldn't be true about the US.

"Swedish preschools and schools for 6- to 16-year-olds have stayed open during the pandemic, with a few exceptions. The Public Health Agency of Sweden made the assessment that closing all schools in Sweden would not be a meaningful measure, based on an analysis of the situation in Sweden and possible consequences for the entire society."

Here is the link.

https://sweden.se/life/society/sweden-and-corona-in-brief

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tharsheblows said:

 

For better or worse, it is absolutely true that Sweden imposed less Draconian measures than most first world countries.  Half the conversation about Sweden over the last few years has been criticizing them for being irresponsible for doing so. 

Sure, you can point to differences in culture and compliance behavior and hypothesize that that's the reason why they fared better than countries with more restrictive policies ...but such hypotheses are pretty hard to prove because there are probably many contributing factors.

Spin it how you want but the statement that: "Sweden imposed less Draconian measures than most first world countries and is in the middle of the pack as far a death rate compared to the rest of the European Economic Zone" is absolutely true.

 

While there are many ways to measure and compare lock-downs, here is a bit about schools in Sweden that wouldn't be true about the US.

"Swedish preschools and schools for 6- to 16-year-olds have stayed open during the pandemic, with a few exceptions. The Public Health Agency of Sweden made the assessment that closing all schools in Sweden would not be a meaningful measure, based on an analysis of the situation in Sweden and possible consequences for the entire society."

Here is the link.

https://sweden.se/life/society/sweden-and-corona-in-brief

 

The statement about Sweden's lockdowns becomes false when examined as support for your premise, that lockdowns somehow don't work. If looked at in greater detail (which I actually have not done since much earlier this year, but what they did up to that time is still perfectly true), you see that local communities imposed total and complete lockdowns when they felt necessary.

I dunno why you RWNJs want to make a song and dance about schools & lockdowns now, I guess having had one set of facts that are contrary to your fairy tale shoved down your lying throats, you want to salvage something.

Fine. Sweden didn't lock down schools. Now do your end-zone dance and go get vaccinated.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Moving the goalposts? How young is "young children." You said NO LOCKDOWNS in Sweden, now you're saying well yeah they did but not "schools and young children."

Look on Sweden's own health ministry web page, and get the facts.

Or keep repeating your favorite fairy tales, I don't really care.

- DSK

I have looked at the https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/ frequently.

I've also looked at numerous sources of comparative data.  

Essentially your assertion isn't matched by the data.  

My reference to the schools not locking down is to try and ascertain what you deem to be a lockdown?  If schools and day care are open and parents are taking their kids to school/day care and still going to work it doesn't constitute much of a lockdown does it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas and Florida quickly opened up for business. No problems there at all. Maybe you should add them to model areas. They both are more than twice as populous as Sweden. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2021 at 8:39 AM, Kate short for Bob said:

"Without some changes"!  Hell you have been the one saying how great the New Zealand economy was doing reapeating the BS from the Finance Minister while ignoring the fundamentals!  Record numbers of businesses going bust, GDP driven by printed money being spent on the non productive inflation of property prices and the purchase of motor vehicles.  Public and private debt levels increasing at record rates.

The chickens are coming home to roost now.  The reality is being felt by the rank and file.  All of which was predictable.

You must be living in la la land if you think the money that the Government is using to prop up business via wage subsidies is being spent on property investment. 

Wages continue to be spent by the vast majority of the population on the consumables needed to stay alive.

Some business will fail, as they have always done, and that will happen with or without the support of Government, specially in the travel and hospitality industries which has diminished just because we have a pandemic which discourages people from doing the things they used to do.

4 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

But @Terry Hollis you have been spruiking how well NZ's GDP is going when the stats show that it is being bolstered by property price inflation!!!!  So if the Quantitative Easing (QE) isn't driving that (theory says it is) what is?

In record numbers in an economy you say is doing fantastic!!!  Economic reality isn't just affecting travel and hospitality industries.  

The property market is driven by a shortage of housing combined with greedy speculators, it has nothing to do with the pandemic, it has been out of control long before the pandemic started. 

I stand by my statement that the wage subsidy has no effect on the property market, it helps employers to stay in business and it helps wage earners to continue their normal spending and keep other businesses alive, a win win for everyone.

I have never said that the economy is "fantastic!!!" that's your word, I avoid the use of superlatives as they contribute nothing to the facts as any professional knows. 

The economy is doing better than the economy of most countries as measured by the debt/GDP ratio.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got home to Florida from Maine Sunday night. Walked into the Publix supermarket pharmacy five minutes from our house this morning with our vax cards in hand, got our Pfizer boosters, and did our grocery shopping. Didn't even have to sign up online.

Easy Peasy.

Two more "elderly" Americans trying to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Wife got 50mg Moderna booster yesterday, no sore arm like first dose and no one-day malaize like second shot. I got my 50mg Moderna booster today. Feeling good. Got flu shot in other arm for comparison. Both walk-in at Walmart, took about 30 minutes total.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2021 at 9:01 PM, Terry Hollis said:

You must be living in la la land if you think the money that the Government is using to prop up business via wage subsidies is being spent on property investment. 

Wages continue to be spent by the vast majority of the population on the consumables needed to stay alive.

Some business will fail, as they have always done, and that will happen with or without the support of Government, specially in the travel and hospitality industries which has diminished just because we have a pandemic which discourages people from doing the things they used to do.

The property market is driven by a shortage of housing combined with greedy speculators, it has nothing to do with the pandemic, it has been out of control long before the pandemic started. 

I stand by my statement that the wage subsidy has no effect on the property market, it helps employers to stay in business and it helps wage earners to continue their normal spending and keep other businesses alive, a win win for everyone.

I have never said that the economy is "fantastic!!!" that's your word, I avoid the use of superlatives as they contribute nothing to the facts as any professional knows. 

The economy is doing better than the economy of most countries as measured by the debt/GDP ratio.

Asset price inflation has been supercharged by ultra low interest rates 

other factors like available housing stock are also significant 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Wife got 50mg Moderna booster yesterday, no sore arm like first dose and no one-day malaize like second shot. I got my 50mg Moderna booster today. Feeling good. Got flu shot in other arm for comparison. Both walk-in at Walmart, took about 30 minutes total.

My wife got her's on Friday. Had a fever on Saturday and no energy to do anything. Mine was scheduled for tonight but I delayed it until Friday, since I have a busy work week and can't afford to be laid low.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Eye got booster at 6.00pm today.   He is receiving ESPN from the chip in his left arm and is as happy as a clam.

I finally made my decision and will get a booster at 12 noon tomorrow.   I am under the age requirement but I qualify due to my work.

Mr. Eye made his decision in his usual science based manner. "If you are getting a booster, Im having one" based on his principal that we sink or swim together.  If he was not such a lovely man, I would punch him. 

He would rather die than read these threads.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, Gissie said:

True, not having that many deaths is a benefit. But how real is the number today with the changes in treatment and vaccination. 

The point I was trying to make is that at some point we need to stop living in total fear, that we need to stop believing we can save everybody. Our reaction of elimination was great at the beginning, but we need to come up with a plan to move on. As was pointed out recently with regards to our plan - hope is not a strategy.

Covid is endemic  

everyone on earth will contract Covid , just like everyone will contract the flu 

time to tone down the hysteria 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Covid is endemic  

everyone on earth will contract Covid , just like everyone will contract the flu 

time to tone down the hysteria 

First of all, no.

Not everyone on Earth with contract covid. Realistic number between 75~95%

Secondly, if that >75% of everyone on Earth catches it within a 1 year time frame, hundreds of millions die and civilization is severely hampered if not grinding to a halt. If the pandemic is spread over 3 years (ideally more) then only a few million die and we continue on, hopefully smarter.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 96-yo WWII vet dad is poised to get his 5th shot next week.  As we told him at dinner tonight, he is conducting his own science experiment on himself.  He knows the risks, as a retired research pharmacologist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Secondly, if that >75% of everyone on Earth catches it within a 1 year time frame, hundreds of millions die and civilization is severely hampered if not grinding to a halt.

So it will beat climate change to the punch. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gissie said:

So it will beat climate change to the punch. :lol:

What happens when half of everybody is down, sick? Half the doctors, out... meaning that a LOT more people will die... half the cops, half the truck drivers bringing groceries into the cities...

This scenario started to play out on a small scale, in a few places. Apparently you weren't paying attention.

CoVid-19 is one of the historic plagues. I bet you don't know much about history, either.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Mr. Eye got booster at 6.00pm today.   He is receiving ESPN from the chip in his left arm and is as happy as a clam.

I finally made my decision and will get a booster at 12 noon tomorrow.   I am under the age requirement but I qualify due to my work.

Mr. Eye made his decision in his usual science based manner. "If you are getting a booster, Im having one" based on his principal that we sink or swim together.  If he was not such a lovely man, I would punch him. 

He would rather die than read these threads.

He sounds like a smart man.

Did he have to pay extra to get ESPN via the booster nanochip? I'm only getting PBS and re-runs of Gilligan's Island on mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Covid is endemic  

everyone on earth will contract Covid , just like everyone will contract the flu 

time to tone down the hysteria 

We don't know if SARS Covid 2 will become globally endemic or not.. We are speculating. It partly depends on us and it partly depends on how the virus mutates.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, accnick said:

He sounds like a smart man.

Did he have to pay extra to get ESPN via the booster nanochip? I'm only getting PBS and re-runs of Gilligan's Island on mine.

This morning he woke up with chills, a body ache and a headache. I left him with Tylenol and a thermos of hot lemon . 

He is a good man. I lucked out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

We don't know if SARS Covid 2 will become globally endemic or not.. We are speculating. It partly depends on us and it partly depends on how the virus mutates.

 

 

Africa is largely unvaccinated 

how will you eliminate Covid globally 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

Africa is largely unvaccinated 

how will you eliminate Covid globally 

 

Certain viruses still exist in regions such as Africa but have been eliminated elsewhere. they are not considered "globally endemic".  Other viruses have been eliminated everywhere and are considered "globally eradicated"

We have eliminated smallpox and polio from Africa through massive vaccination programs.  Smallpox is considered globally eradicated. Polio still exists in certain countries but is not considered globally endemic. It has, for example, been eradicated in the US.

Again I dont have a forecast for SARS Covid 2  but I do think it is in the best interest of developed nations to fund vaccination in Africa because unless it is contained in Africa, it will recur elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

This morning he woke up with chills, a body ache and a headache. I left him with Tylenol and a thermos of hot lemon . 

He is a good man. I lucked out.

So did he, I am guessing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

Certain viruses still exist in regions such as Africa but have been eliminated elsewhere. they are not considered "globally endemic".  Other viruses have been eliminated everywhere and are considered "globally eradicated"

We have eliminated smallpox and polio from Africa through massive vaccination programs.  Smallpox is considered globally eradicated. Polio still exists in certain countries but is not considered globally endemic. It has, for example, been eradicated in the US.

Again I dont have a forecast for SARS Covid 2  but I do think it is in the best interest of developed nations to fund vaccination in Africa because unless it is contained in Africa, it will recur elsewhere.

The polio vaccine prevents infection , transmission and disease 

the Covid vaccine only prevents disease 

Covid is primarily a respiratory disease 

polio is primarily a gut disease 

the flu hasn’t been eradicated , Covid will not be eradicated 

the best that can be done is to protect vulnerable people from Covid , then let the rest get on with life 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

First of all, no.

Not everyone on Earth with contract covid. Realistic number between 75~95%

Secondly, if that >75% of everyone on Earth catches it within a 1 year time frame, hundreds of millions die and civilization is severely hampered if not grinding to a halt. If the pandemic is spread over 3 years (ideally more) then only a few million die and we continue on, hopefully smarter.

- DSK

What is it with this "Covid"?

 

The Spanish Flu lasted less than 2 years, then vanished...never to be seen again.

 

Ditto with the Asian Flu and Hong Kong Flus. Each killed millions of people, then vanished well inside 2 years. No vaccines required.

 

It seems our political masters have a plan when they state that "Covid" will be with us for many years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 666steve said:

What is it with this "Covid"?

 

The Spanish Flu lasted less than 2 years, then vanished...never to be seen again.

 

Ditto with the Asian Flu and Hong Kong Flus. Each killed millions of people, then vanished well inside 2 years. No vaccines required.

 

It seems our political masters have a plan when they state that "Covid" will be with us for many years.

I still get an annual shot for the "spanish flu" - or - at least it's follow on waves. 

 

What’s even more remarkable about the 1918 flu, say infectious disease experts, is that it never really went away. After infecting an estimated 500 million people worldwide in 1918 and 1919 (a third of the global population), the H1N1 strain that caused the Spanish flu receded into the background and stuck around as the regular seasonal flu.

But every so often, direct descendants of the 1918 flu combined with bird flu or swine flu to create powerful new pandemic strains, which is exactly what happened in 1957, 1968 and 2009. Those later flu outbreaks, all created in part by the 1918 virus, claimed millions of additional lives, earning the 1918 flu the odious title of “the mother of all pandemics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so my covid arm is as sore today as with the first shot, and I feel under the weather, but no fever as with the second shot. Flu arm is just slightly sore, as usual. I'm glad to get this booster as I hope to be travelling a lot for the next 12 months and don't want to risk covid in strange places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

What happens when half of everybody is down, sick? Half the doctors, out... meaning that a LOT more people will die... half the cops, half the truck drivers bringing groceries into the cities...

This scenario started to play out on a small scale, in a few places. Apparently you weren't paying attention.

CoVid-19 is one of the historic plagues. I bet you don't know much about history, either.

- DSK

And if the world's temperature rose 5 degrees in a year all hell would be let loose. So what, it hasn't and it won't so why should I bother losing sleep over it.

I may not know much about history, but you sure as fuck know lots about fairy tales. Hiding under your bed because the sky is falling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gissie said:

And if the world's temperature rose 5 degrees in a year all hell would be let loose. So what, it hasn't and it won't so why should I bother losing sleep over it.

I may not know much about history, but you sure as fuck know lots about fairy tales. Hiding under your bed because the sky is falling.

No, imbecile

The sky is not falling. A very contagious disease has killed a tremendous heaping metric shit-pile of people.

That's fine by you, right?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, imbecile

The sky is not falling. A very contagious disease has killed a tremendous heaping metric shit-pile of people.

That's fine by you, right?

- DSK

You went on about what would happen of >75% got the virus in a one year period. Who cares, it hasn't happened and is not going to happen. So fear monger away my dear, lose sleep about the impossible. No fucks given this end.

As for what has happened, sure lots have died, it is a bummer on a world wide scale. Will it cause me to lose sleep over it, no way dearie. What is the point of worrying yourself to death over something you can not change. Do what you can to protect yourself and get on with shit.

Whimper under the bed about how life is just so unfair as much as you desire if it makes you think it helps. The reality, as I often told my kids, life is not meant to be fair. Life is just life, it is up to you to decide how to live it. Choices and responsibility is what makes life. Personally I want to get what I can out of my remaining years, being a pussy is not part of that. Worrying about shit I can not change, not on my radar in the slightest.

I can sleep well in the knowledge that people like you will do more than enough worrying and bleating to make up for my missing bit. Thanks for your service dearie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

 

What’s even more remarkable about the 1918 flu, say infectious disease experts, is that it never really went away. ...the H1N1 strain that caused the Spanish flu ...stuck around as the regular seasonal flu.

But every so often, direct descendants of the 1918 flu combined with bird flu or swine flu to create powerful new pandemic strains, which is exactly what happened in 1957, 1968 and 2009.

You didn't quote your source, but it was History.com , and sadly not entirely accurate.

The 1957 flu was indeed a terrible flu pandemic but it was not a direct descendant of the H1N1 spanish flu virus.  It was a novel virus , that originated in China (sound familiar?) in late 1956. China did not alert the rest of the world (sound familiar?) and it was not until it arrived in Hong Kong and Singapore in March/April that the world was alerted to the threat.

It arrived in the US and the UK in June 1957 (this was all before air travel was common place) .  The US owes a debt of gratitude to Maurice Hillman who identified the H2N2 virus before it arrived, developed a vaccine which was then widely adopted and contained the epidemic with a fraction of the loss of life that might otherwise have been expected. The vaccine was sent to the UK arriving shortly before Mr. Eye's oldest brother was born, and helped curtail the epidemic in the UK. It was an era when the public citizens of the USA trusted science and worked with not against their public health servants. As a result the US portion of the pandemic was over by early 1958.

1968 was a descendant of H2N2 .

2009 was indeed a resurfacing of a descendant of the Spanish flu and frankly caught us napping.   Older people (over 60) had better immunity than people under 60, which indicates that they had developed immunity several decades earlier. Current vaccines , and seasonal flu exposure over the previous 40-50 years did not provide immunity.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheDragon said:

Okay, so my covid arm is as sore today as with the first shot, and I feel under the weather, but no fever as with the second shot. Flu arm is just slightly sore, as usual. I'm glad to get this booster as I hope to be travelling a lot for the next 12 months and don't want to risk covid in strange places.

Stay well Dragon!

Tylenol is your friend and plenty of water.

Water= The wonder drug that the FDA has never granted an EUA or Approval :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shot no. 3 in 2 hours time.  Can those who have had it confirm that 3.0 offers better 5G reception than 1.0 and 2.0?  I've been very disappointed to date and actually had to use the TV remote last night.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I received my booster shot at 12.00 noon yesterday. 

I have 3 lines on my vaccine card.  I am super woman, ultra resistant to the virus. 

I took some time to decide.  Its a good feeling.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I received my booster shot at 12.00 noon yesterday. 

I have 3 lines on my vaccine card.  I am super woman, ultra resistant to the virus. 

I took some time to decide.  Its a good feeling.

 

 

Welcome to the club.

Two weeks yesterday since we had our boosters. Went in yesterday and got the quadrivalent flu vaccine. They offered that to us when we got our Covid boosters, but we decide to wait so we could isolate any side effects to one or the other of the vaccines.

It is dead simple here in FL to get either/both. We walked into the local Publix pharmacy (our regular  place for prescriptions) with no appointments, and were done in both cases in 15 minutes or less.

It was dramatically easier than the Hunger Games we had to play in January to get the first Covid vaccination.

Maybe it will become like the yearly flu vaccine. I have no problem with that, as long as the nanobots don't interfere with my wifi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Stay well Dragon!

Tylenol is your friend and plenty of water.

Water= The wonder drug that the FDA has never granted an EUA or Approval :)

Thanks! Back to normal today, yesterday lacked energy and generally laid around all day. Much the same effects as my second shot. And yes, I need to drink more water each day, in part to forestall more kidney stones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

You didn't quote your source, but it was History.com , and sadly not entirely accurate.

The 1957 flu was indeed a terrible flu pandemic but it was not a direct descendant of the H1N1 spanish flu virus.  It was a novel virus , that originated in China (sound familiar?) in late 1956. China did not alert the rest of the world (sound familiar?) and it was not until it arrived in Hong Kong and Singapore in March/April that the world was alerted to the threat.

It arrived in the US and the UK in June 1957 (this was all before air travel was common place) .  The US owes a debt of gratitude to Maurice Hillman who identified the H2N2 virus before it arrived, developed a vaccine which was then widely adopted and contained the epidemic with a fraction of the loss of life that might otherwise have been expected. The vaccine was sent to the UK arriving shortly before Mr. Eye's oldest brother was born, and helped curtail the epidemic in the UK. It was an era when the public citizens of the USA trusted science and worked with not against their public health servants. As a result the US portion of the pandemic was over by early 1958.

1968 was a descendant of H2N2 .

2009 was indeed a resurfacing of a descendant of the Spanish flu and frankly caught us napping.   Older people (over 60) had better immunity than people under 60, which indicates that they had developed immunity several decades earlier. Current vaccines , and seasonal flu exposure over the previous 40-50 years did not provide immunity.

 

 

When I read sentences like “fraction of the loss of life that would have been otherwise expected” ( or something to that effect), I realize that economics is not the only dismal science.  Life in the Gravity Well…

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in to urgent care in Manchester VT for a heart scare this past Sunday, turned out to be nothing but while there I grabbed my Moderna booster and a flu shot. Had same soreness in arm, and as of this morning had a fraction of the spaciness and general malaise that kept me in bed for 24 hours after shot #2. So far so good. I do have these scales starting to grow at the base of my skull…good thing the kid likes lizards!

Oh and my Verizon iPhone is working amazingly well. Signal just seems a little stronger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Went in to urgent care in Manchester VT for a heart scare this past Sunday, turned out to be nothing but while there I grabbed my Moderna booster and a flu shot. Had same soreness in arm, and as of this morning had a fraction of the spaciness and general malaise that kept me in bed for 24 hours after shot #2. So far so good. I do have these scales starting to grow at the base of my skull…good thing the kid likes lizards!

Oh and my Verizon iPhone is working amazingly well. Signal just seems a little stronger. 

We live the next island over from one of Bill Gates’ houses.  It is common knowledge amongst the vaccinated here that we all collectively feel better when he is in residence.  

(Did I say that right, Bill?). 

;)

Sorry to hear about the heart scare.  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in for the boost yesterday, but funny thing, they had recently opened it up for "drive in" appointments. I had a regular appointment, so didn't think about it. 3 hour wait. They've changed back to appointment only, so will reschedule.  Funny how if you require an appointment, they don't get as many folks as they want, and when they open it up, there's a crush.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, accnick said:

Welcome to the club.

Two weeks yesterday since we had our boosters. Went in yesterday and got the quadrivalent flu vaccine. They offered that to us when we got our Covid boosters, but we decide to wait so we could isolate any side effects to one or the other of the vaccines.

It is dead simple here in FL to get either/both. We walked into the local Publix pharmacy (our regular  place for prescriptions) with no appointments, and were done in both cases in 15 minutes or less.

It was dramatically easier than the Hunger Games we had to play in January to get the first Covid vaccination.

Maybe it will become like the yearly flu vaccine. I have no problem with that, as long as the nanobots don't interfere with my wifi.

Did you start growing a tail yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week boosters were only available for those who had Pfizer, this week it's open so getting mine this afternoon - by appointment, the good news is no waiting around.  If you never hear from me again that might be why.  Because it will make me smarter, better looking and wealthy so I will have a better group to hang with.

Prolly be back tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

I received my booster shot at 12.00 noon yesterday. 

I have 3 lines on my vaccine card.  I am super woman, ultra resistant to the virus. 

I took some time to decide.  Its a good feeling.

 

 

Literally no side effects. Still nothing, 24 hours later. I had covid booster in one arm and flu in the other.   Mr Eye felt out of sorts for a full 48 hours and still had a headache and body ache when I left for work this am.

I reassured him , that his was a better indication, because his strong reaction shows that he developed a lot of anti bodies from his first regimen. His anti bodies are all upset and up in arms as they recognise the nasty spike proteins again.  The complete indifference that my antibodies have shown to the booster shot means they are either AWOL or indifferent.   I also had no reaction at all to my second shot and wondered at the time whether it was a dose or a misplaced placebo. 

However the improved reception for the Disney Channel seems to indicate that I have the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Shot no. 3 in 2 hours time.  Can those who have had it confirm that 3.0 offers better 5G reception than 1.0 and 2.0?  I've been very disappointed to date and actually had to use the TV remote last night.

I cannot confirm because I only have a 4G brain. I am waiting to upgrade to 5G when prices come down.

In the meantime I  subscribed for HULU while at the clinic and the colors and sharpness on Euphoria are much better after the booster shot. The only downside is that you have to listen to a public service announcement from Bill Gates before the series starts and some political ads between episodes. It could be worse, I understand the Pfizer booster comes with endless loops of a video of Trump getting vaccinated and Biden announcing his booster program before the FDA approved it..   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Mmmmmm not the statements of a true medical professional. 

Oh there is a lot you can learn from the Disney Channell

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, 666steve said:

What is it with this "Covid"?

 

The Spanish Flu lasted less than 2 years, then vanished...never to be seen again.

 

Ditto with the Asian Flu and Hong Kong Flus. Each killed millions of people, then vanished well inside 2 years. No vaccines required.

 

It seems our political masters have a plan when they state that "Covid" will be with us for many years.

Only the truly paranoid believe that this pandemic is a political manipulation.  Get some help.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

BC announced a booster program for the general population yesterday - we already had one for vulnerable individuals.  I will be eligible in January and will definitely be getting it.  A few weeks later I may travel to somewhere warm to get away from the stuff in my screen name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

...

However the improved reception for the Disney Channel seems to indicate that I have the real thing.

I've run up quite a winning streak on my neighbor's kids Playstation. It's almost like I can control the fighters on the screen just by thi..... umm, no that can't be it

And the third eyeball on the stalk growing out my forehead has really come in handy, too

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Oh there is a lot you can learn from the Disney Channell

Is that where you were taught as a medical professional to assess whether a medical treatment was necessary before dispensing it?  For example did you get your blood tested for antibody levels to determine if you needed a booster shot?

Are you booked in for your fourth shot yet?  I note some on here have been able to get 5 shots so I guess they will be going for their 6th free shot at Walmart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Is that where you were taught as a medical professional to assess whether a medical treatment was necessary before dispensing it?  For example did you get your blood tested for antibody levels to determine if you needed a booster shot?

Are you booked in for your fourth shot yet?  I note some on here have been able to get 5 shots so I guess they will be going for their 6th free shot at Walmart.

KSFB, please lay out your plan for getting out of this mess and “Sweden” is not a plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

... I note some on here have been able to get 5 shots so I guess they will be going for their 6th free shot at Walmart.

I note that you are still telling untruths, because the actual truth makes you look like an idiot.

Pro Tip- you're not doing a heck of a lot better with lies

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites