Prepare Your New Excuses, B.S.ers!

On 8/5/2021 at 7:02 AM, Excoded Tom said:

That's what happens in the sound-bite journalism world we live in these days. 

They aren't accurately defining "infection" here. 

My doc explained it to me. He and his wife are personal friends of ours and were over for a BBQ dinner, and I mentioned that I had some mild symptoms. A bit of chest congestion, very mild sore throat. He ran out to his car and came back with a swab kit and wouldn't take no for an answer. In a couple days the results were back, positive for COVID, delta. 

I am J&J vaxed. He did some 'splainin. 

The way viruses work is they convert cells into virus factories. In this case mainly the cells which like our respiratory system. What the vaxes do is prime the immune system to kill the infected cells quickly. Those cells live in our circulatory and lymphatic systems, they do not form some kind of shield wall on the surfaces of our cells which prevent infection, which is what most people seem to imagine. Nope. They are always working "after the fact". We are "infected" all the time by all kinds of things, the factor which make those infections symptomatic or asymptomatic is mostly time. That vaccinated people would be infectious from time to time should surprise no one.   

The other factor which has a big effect on severity is dosage. The process of converting our cells into virus factories is exponential. A few bugs in your lungs takes a lot longer to get the ball rolling than, say, inhaling a few million do.  This is where masks come in, which the outraged-obsessed love to say are not 100% effective and thus useless. A commie plot designed to take our Freedoms. What other possible reason could there be??  There is one, but it would exceed the readership's attention span, and apparently the CDC believes the same...soooo. 

A lot of docs expected this bug to be all over the place when the masks came off and people came together again. And it is. They also expect it to have a short lifespan within the vaxed and the self-vaxed through previous infections. However each new infection primes our systems to act ever quicker and quicker, so in time it will either disappear or become one of the billions of harmless bugs which our systems kill off routinely and go utterly unnoticed except to a certain sort of microbiologists. 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Mark K said:

My doc explained it to me. He and his wife are personal friends of ours and were over for a BBQ dinner, and I mentioned that I had some mild symptoms. A bit of chest congestion, very mild sore throat. He ran out to his car and came back with a swab kit and wouldn't take no for an answer. In a couple days the results were back, positive for COVID, delta. 

The way viruses work is they convert cells into virus factories. In this case mainly the cells which like our respiratory system. What the vaxes do is prime the immune system to kill the infected cells quickly. Those cells live in our circulatory and lymphatic systems, they do not form some kind of shield wall on the surfaces of our cells which prevent infection, which is what most people seem to imagine. Nope. They are always working "after the fact". We are "infected" all the time by all kinds of things, the factor which make those infections symptomatic or asymptomatic is mostly time. That vaccinated people would be infectious from time to time should surprise no one.   

The other factor which has a big effect on severity is dosage. The process of converting our cells into virus factories is exponential. A few bugs in your lungs takes a lot longer to get the ball rolling than, say, inhaling a few million do.  This is where masks come in, which the outraged-obsessed love to say are not 100% effective and thus useless. A commie plot designed to take our Freedoms. What other possible reason could there be??  There is one, but it would exceed the readership's attention span, and apparently the CDC believes the same...soooo. 

A lot of docs expected this bug to be all over the place when the masks came off and people came together again. And it is. They also expect it to have a short lifespan within the vaxed and the self-vaxed through previous infections. However each new infection primes our systems to act ever quicker and quicker, so in time it will either disappear or become one of the billions of harmless bugs which our systems kill off routinely and go utterly unnoticed except to a certain sort of microbiologists.

Yep

Amazing the level of ignorance out there, these days. The basics of "how a virus works" is grade-school science. But people are so fuckin' stupid that a guy who poses as a PhD scientist was convinced... or trying to convince people and succeeding in many cases... that wearing a mask was dangerous "because the virus will breed in the moisture on your mask."

Volunteering at the vaccine clinic early this year, same kind of thing cropped up in conversation ALL THE TIME. Two ladies, one getting vaccinated, her companion indignantly refusing because "I want my immune system to handle it." I explained to her that is exactly what the vaccine does, give your own immune system a sort of sneak preview of the virus so it will come out fighting when you catch it. She was flabbergasted. I added, "that's all -any- vaccine ever does." She had the impression that vaccines somehow create a magic shield around your body, and of course -that- wouldn't be good at all now would it...........

Dumbasses.

Try explaining the rise of genetic variations to a crowd that is not sure what a "cell" is.

- DSK

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Try explaining the rise of genetic variations to a crowd that is not sure what a "cell" is.

- DSK

What do you expect in a country where a large percentage of the population wants 'creation science' taught and given higher weighting than the theory of evolution.

Some stupidity you cannot fix, you just have to try to outlive it.

FKT

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

... The basics of "how a virus works" is grade-school science. ...

To be fair, it might be grade-school science now, but it wasn't when you+I were in school. I was taught there were these things called genes but I don't remember being taught anything about viruses. Moreover, progress in genetics has been insane over the decades. Watson + Crick is 1953. RNA vaccines start in 1989. The delivery mechanism that mRNA uses is from 2005. AIDS by the way is a virus. It uses the same mechanism that COVID uses and that Mark just described but just targets different cells.

Most of my 'education' on this has come from reading the popular press. I feel like taking a JC Bio 1A+1B sequence because things have changed so much.

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

What do you expect in a country where a large percentage of the population wants 'creation science' taught and given higher weighting than the theory of evolution.

Some stupidity you cannot fix, you just have to try to outlive it.

FKT

Really? I musta missed that when I attended public school as oddly it was never mentioned. :ph34r:

What was your experience? 

• Downvote 1
48 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

To be fair, it might be grade-school science now, but it wasn't when you+I were in school. I was taught there were these things called genes but I don't remember being taught anything about viruses. Moreover, progress in genetics has been insane over the decades. Watson + Crick is 1953. RNA vaccines start in 1989. The delivery mechanism that mRNA uses is from 2005. AIDS by the way is a virus. It uses the same mechanism that COVID uses and that Mark just described but just targets different cells.

Most of my 'education' on this has come from reading the popular press. I feel like taking a JC Bio 1A+1B sequence because things have changed so much.

Just flip to Foxy News. You’ll be up to speed with our bullshitters before you know it. 

10 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Just flip to Foxy News. You’ll be up to speed with our bullshitters before you know it. 

Which flavor of cooperate media do you prefer Rosyboy?  

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Better turn the synapse sampling rate down a couple hundred first.

16 hours ago, Mark K said:

This makes me wonder whether you read the article or just the headline? Because I altered the headline a little bit.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Olsonist said:

My high school biology teacher in Knoxville, Tennessee refused to teach evolution. That's my experience.

Obviously, a biology teacher would not be qualified. :D

I think the subject would fall under religion studies which is actually a fascinating subject

• Downvote 1
12 hours ago, Olsonist said:
18 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

... The basics of "how a virus works" is grade-school science. ...

Nope, pretty sure it was 7th or 8th grade science when we learned about cells and micro-organisms and "all that stuff." At the time, there was a fairly intense debate about whether viruses should truly be classified as being "alive." Not sure what the curriculum is now but it seems like it shouldn't have been pushed to later, sooner would be better.

You're right that genetics and DNA science has advanced TREMENDOUSLY since then. There wasn't even such a thing as molecular microbiology yet.

- DSK

On 8/6/2021 at 5:59 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Memes, lies and other efforts to change the topic. 

I don’t suppose you’d care to back that drivel up with proof ?

You liar, you!

Tonight the MSNBC crowd really lit into the anti-vaxxers 

and their political guru handlers.

Good. 

De Satan got the pokes, but won't admit it since 

that would make demagoguing it harder. 

Same with FAUX - they're all poked. 

Truly evil 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Bullshitters, the FDA grants full approval for Pfizer’s vaccine. Have you prepared your new excuse for not getting vaccinated? Bonus points to the bullshitter who moves the goalpost the farthest. 

https://www.axios.com/fda-full-approval-pfizer-covid-vaccine-9066bc2e-37f3-4302-ae32-cf5286237c04.html

My current fear is that pride and stubbornness will rule the day.  To get the needle now (although clearly the smart thing to do) would invalidate everything they've been saying and dying for over the past 8 months.  Some would probably rather die than admit they were totally (110%) full of shit.  

Happy to see some folks have been motivated to get the vax, but I have little hope some states will achieve even 50% fully vaxed.  Had everyone acted like an adult and gotten the vax when their number was called, this would not still be a front page story.

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Okay Bullshitters, the FDA grants full approval for Pfizer’s vaccine. Have you prepared your new excuse for not getting vaccinated? Bonus points to the bullshitter who moves the goalpost the farthest. 

https://www.axios.com/fda-full-approval-pfizer-covid-vaccine-9066bc2e-37f3-4302-ae32-cf5286237c04.html

Who in their right mind would trust the government!

Apparently the UBER driver that drove the head of the FDA last Wednesday, with close ties to Hillary (Hillary's next-door neighbor's dog groomer also grooms the dog of 

a woman who's third cousin has a "Hillary" bumper sticker) was found dead this morning.

Coincidence?  I think not!

• Like 3

Some good new on the ground locally.  I walked into a CVS to pick up a script and there were 9 people waiting in the minute clinic to get vaxed.  Two old geezers, 3 youger black guys and some 30 somethings.

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

My current fear is that pride and stubbornness will rule the day.  To get the needle now (although clearly the smart thing to do) would invalidate everything they've been saying and dying for over the past 8 months.  Some would probably rather die than admit they were totally (110%) full of shit.  

Happy to see some folks have been motivated to get the vax, but I have little hope some states will achieve even 50% fully vaxed.  Had everyone acted like an adult and gotten the vax when their number was called, this would not still be a front page story.

The GOP has finally been hit with the reality that the vast majority dying are the unvaccinated, predominantly their core supporters, enough to swing some seats and so a new message is being pushed out. A little too late?

“FDA approval proves it is a secret government plot.” The idiots neighbors here on the extreme left coast are doubling down on their COVID-specific yoga. Seriously.  And extra trips to Whole Foods for special immune supplements. Unreachable. 

When you lose Alex Jones....

ALEX JONES (HOST): CNN snaps their fingers. [CNN President] Jeff Zucker snaps his fingers, and Trump clicks his heels and hops up there at attention and says, “How high do you want me to jump, boss?” Here’s Trump in Alabama yesterday. 

[CLIP BEGINS]

DONALD TRUMP (FORMER U.S. PRESIDENT): I believe totally in your freedoms, I do. You got to do what you have to do. But I recommend take the vaccines. I did it. It’s good. Take the vaccines. But you got --

[BOOS]

TRUMP: Now, that’s OK. That’s all right. You got your freedoms. But I happen to take the vaccine. If it doesn’t work, you’ll be the first to know. OK? I’ll call up Alabama and say, “Hey, you know what?” But it is working. 

[CLIP ENDS]

JONES: BS. Trump: That’s a lie, you’re not stupid. Just two weeks ago they said it was 65%, then 40%, saw a number put out about Pfizer shots, 30-something percent. Because they just want to tell you it doesn’t work so you run and get the new damn shot. And then they’ll tell you in six months that one doesn't work. It’s called rope-a-dope.

Shame on you, Trump. Seriously. Hey, if you don’t have the good sense to save yourself and your political career, that’s OK. At least you’re going to get some good Republicans elected, and we like you. But, my God, maybe you’re not that bright. Maybe Trump’s actually a dumbass.

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/alex-jones-trump-recommending-vaccines-maybe-trumps-actually-dumbass 

If Alex is encouraging his people to skip the vax, maybe it is best for normal people to just keep heads down and let nature run its course. 

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/alex-jones-trump-recommending-vaccines-maybe-trumps-actually-dumbass 

If Alex is encouraging his people to skip the vax, maybe it is best for normal people to just keep heads down and let nature run its course. 

Someone should sent him a Valentine.

On 8/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, Olsonist said:

We covered this stuff in pretty good detail back in college, especially in genetics class. But then, my B.S. was in biology, so I took a lot of freaking science in college.

Then again, the human genome hadn't been fully mapped when I was taking genetics. My kids' biology classes in high school matter-of-factly discussed topics that were on the bleeding edge of discovery when we studied them.

And the stuff my daughter has been studying in her classes is way beyond what we covered (one of her majors is Animal Behavior, which requires a solid biology core).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, VhmSays said:

The GOP has finally been hit with the reality that the vast majority dying are the unvaccinated, predominantly their core supporters, enough to swing some seats and so a new message is being pushed out. A little too late?

Probably not, 90% of the dead were over 78, one the way out anyways, just speed up the timeline a bit.

13 hours ago, Mike G said:

Apparently the UBER driver that drove the head of the FDA last Wednesday, with close ties to Hillary (Hillary's next-door neighbor's dog groomer also grooms the dog of 

a woman who's third cousin has a "Hillary" bumper sticker) was found dead this morning.

Coincidence?  I think not!

12 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I've been urging that for a year now.  I am absolutely not only fine with them letting Darwin take it's course, but I'm actually envouraging them to skip the vax.  It's proving finally that you can, in fact, cure stupid.  

15 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Some would probably rather die than admit they were totally (110%) full of shit.  

And I support that right to their stubborness.  Please just die and get it over with.  The gene pool stills needs some more cleaning.....

5 hours ago, Burning Man said:

I've been urging that for a year now.  I am absolutely not only fine with them letting Darwin take it's course, but I'm actually envouraging them to skip the vax.  It's proving finally that you can, in fact, cure stupid.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Burning Man said:

And don’t forget the Best Americans pushing anti vax bullshit to the unwashed masses. 
https://www.businessinsider.com/ican-billionaire-funded-antivax-group-trump-fans-ties-2021-8

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

The folks not wearing masks?

Obama? Pelosi? Schumer?

Wow, those folks have SOOoo much to celebrate.

Nah, those going around unvaccinated without masks but dosing themselves with high doses of anthelmintic (cow dewormers) because freedumb. The majority dying of covid now are R's. Ask any health worker you know about the situation. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

And don’t forget the Best Americans pushing anti vax bullshit to the unwashed masses. 
https://www.businessinsider.com/ican-billionaire-funded-antivax-group-trump-fans-ties-2021-8

If this culls the Repugnant's herd numbers, maybe not such a bad thing????   Darwin awards for any and all of them!! :angry:

7 hours ago, VhmSays said:

Who do you think the core R's are? 

Yeah, but most of them probably weren't going to make it till the next election anyway, so it isn't going to shift the numbers all that much.  This is why republicans were not so worried about covid in the first place.

32 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Well, let's just look up the CA mask guidelines. (CA is short for California. It's where I live.)

image.thumb.png.2faa60941c4a8b5cebe8c7d0a8bff32a.png

https://covid19.ca.gov/masks-and-ppe/

Moreover, those look like a bunch of disgusting liberals to me and so probably all of them are vaccinated. Now if they were patriotic Americans, like you, well then I'd be worried. Maybe not really worried. More like laughing my ass off.

5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Well, let's just look up the CA mask guidelines. (CA is short for California. It's where I live.)

Moreover, those look like a bunch of disgusting liberals and probably all of them are vaccinated. If they were patriotic Americans, I'd be worried. Well, not really worried. More like laughing my ass off.

Well the Sun seems to think that it is very hypocritical of her to hold an event that follows the guidelines...and she is a democRAT so the Sun could very well be right. They completely missed their Bat Boy coverage. Just pretended he doesn't exist. Sad. 

3 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Not to get into another shit fight but I went to that covid link of yours (and saw that there were no mask wearing mandates for small groups outside). That's good....but I also looked closer and that 'guide' was last updated on August 2.....like three weeks ago. So I looked around for a while and finally found a more recent one (saying basically the same)....but THAT one was from August 11.....and I can't find anything current, no matter where I looked. Punch in 'California's current Corona virus status'.....and there appears not to be one anywhere. 

My point being......you'd think more than three or nine people up there would be at least a LITTLE bit interested what the latest regs would be? Kinda like what the traffic's like before you back out of your driveway?Seems odd to me....

So you're saying that you didn't find anything and that that proves Pelosi is a hypocrite.  Home schooled were you?

Just now, El Mariachi said:

Try reading that one more time....slowly.

Or, I'll make it easy on you....forget about Nancy.....and tell why Cali doesn't have an up-to-date Covid page....showing THIS minute's regs, in real time. Or at the very least.....an update every morning?.....

No, this was about Nancy and I'm comfortable with keeping it about Nancy. But I can see that you want to change the subject. So if you want, we can do that as long as you'll stipulate that she was obeying the relevant CA guidelines.

BTW, Napa County has about 8,078 cases per 100,000. Your boy Kevin McCarthy's Kern County has 13,616 per 100,000. You might want to get after your boy.

27 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Or, I'll make it easy on you....forget about Nancy.....and tell why Cali doesn't have an up-to-date Covid page....showing THIS minute's regs, in real time. Or at the very least.....an update every morning?.....

After you have lived here awhile it is easy to find.

The Tracking COVID 19 in California page - https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/

55 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

He doesn't have a TV, and his internet browser is in Spanish.

He's getting the talking points from somewhere.

This is another common thing with republicans who pretend they are independents.  They say they don't indulge in the right wing media but they still seem to repeat all the same right wing memes.  Maybe they just get it all from facebook comments?  I would believe that a lot of rightwingers get their news from facebook comments, naturally without bothering to read the article like most facebook commenters.

16 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

This is another common thing with republicans who pretend they are independents.  They say they don't indulge in the right wing media but they still seem to repeat all the same right wing memes.  Maybe they just get it all from facebook comments?  I would believe that a lot of rightwingers get their news from facebook comments, naturally without bothering to read the article like most facebook commenters.

It doesn't really matter, just know the subject well enough that anything that they put forward is easily put down.

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:
25 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

It doesn't really matter, just know the subject well enough that anything that they put forward is easily put down.

and they prolley diddente even reade the article or commentes ethere..........          :)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

No, what YOU just said doesn't matter at all.  You may easily put down what they say, but the apelike trumper isn't reading what you say, he is giving you the finger as his dead eyes slide across your words down to the next RWNJ comment, eagerly thinking about the coming mass executions.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

and they prolley diddente even reade the article or commentes ethere..........          :)

Have you ever read an article on the FOX news website?  I think they have a team of 6th graders writing them.

8 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

No, what YOU just said doesn't matter at all.  You may easily put down what they say, but the apelike trumper isn't reading what you say, he is giving you the finger as his dead eyes slide across your words down to the next RWNJ comment, eagerly thinking about the coming mass executions.

Then why do you bother with them at all?

44 minutes ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Are you describing Jeff? (Burning Man)

2 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

How often should then update the policy to suit you? Daily? Hourly?

What if there's nothing new to say? Should they just change the time/date stamps on the pages once an hour so you know it's current?

Do you understand how the internet works? Or basic human communication?

When nothing has changed from the last time someone posted something, usual human behavior is not to announce once a day "NOTHING HAS CHANGED". They just leave the old sign up with a date so you know the last time it was updated.

Changing the date every day when nothing his changed would actually be dis-information, since it would hide the last time the policy was updated.

5 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Are you describing Jeff? (Burning Man)

No, I have had that guy on ignore since like the first week I was here, so I can't say anything about him.

I am describing the typical trumper, they are all mindwiped into identical pieces of shit.

8 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

What if there's nothing new to say? Should they just change the time/date stamps on the pages once an hour so you know it's current?

When nothing has changed from the last time someone posted something, usual human behavior is not to announce once a day "NOTHING HAS CHANGED". They just leave the old sign up with a date so you know the last time it was updated.

Changing the date every day when nothing his changed would actually be dis-information, since it would hide the last time the policy was updated.

That state stuff probably all updates using batch processing, so the info may get processed on a weekly timeframe.

1 hour ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

Have you ever read an article on the FOX news website?  I think they have a team of 6th graders writing them.

Gee whiz, you have to communicate on the reader's level after all!

52 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Florida switched to a Friday data dump. No daily reporting. Once a week.

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Florida switched to a Friday data dump. No daily reporting. Once a week.

I think Rico is confused because there's a policy page that hasn't been updated in the last twenty minutes that he's complaining about. Not data per se.

Writing like that is freaky hard. It reminds me of Dolly Parton's joke, you have no idea how much money it takes to make me look this cheap. The National Enquirer pays a lot for Ivy League writers. I'm sure Fox does the same. This is no compliment to the audience but rather a nod to propaganda techniques.

https://geektyrant.com/news/national-enquirer-the-untold-story-limited-series-in-the-works-at-sony-tv

El Moronachi: Look!! Nancy didn't wear a mask!! What a hypocrite!! I will outrage over whatever the fake news right wing media tells me to!!

Other people: here are some facts

El Moronachi: 

3 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

...forget about Nancy.....

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Writing like that is freaky hard. It reminds me of Dolly Parton's joke, you have no idea how much money it takes to make me look this cheap. The National Enquirer pays a lot for Ivy League writers. I'm sure Fox does the same. This is no compliment to the audience but rather a nod to propaganda techniques.

https://geektyrant.com/news/national-enquirer-the-untold-story-limited-series-in-the-works-at-sony-tv

My kid was in a recording studio.  Millions of dollars of equipment there, but they have cheap speakers they always run the final product through, to see how it sounds to a normal, everyday person in a shitty car.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Moreover, those look like a bunch of disgusting liberals to me and so probably all of them are vaccinated. Now if they were patriotic Americans, like you, well then I'd be worried. Maybe not really worried. More like laughing my ass off.

Do you understand the "EXCEPT DURING OUTBREAKS" part?

• Like 1