Jump to content

If you thought there was still hope for the future of sailing


Recommended Posts

Atrocity? While the article is buried in snark and nearly unintelligible, he has a point. This sport often does look ridiculous to others...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Editor said:

Atrocity? While the article is buried in snark and nearly unintelligible, he has a point. This sport often does look ridiculous to others...

Fuck em. And what about morris dancing?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the article was poorly conceived and even more poorly executed.

Fucking rubbish.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Guvacine said:

Particularly sad in that the piece probably constitutes the entire coverage of olympic sailing in the WaPo - now on to golfing.

I don't read Sailing World for the markets either :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing will never be a spectator sport and only the participants understand what is going on. At least the AC tries to condense the race to about 45 min for viewer consumption but there is no commentator that makes it palatable for the average person. No offense to Jobson, met him a couple time and he is a gentleman but not a tv personality.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

And another WAPO article that is paywalled

not well enough, I could read enough of it to see that other than the names of some sailors, and the names of types of boats, there was no information in it whatever. Travelogue of quaint Japanese venue, ridicule for people who use funny words, complaint about not understanding while exerting zero effort to learn, complete lack of any race result or even a vague description of what a sailboat race is like... worthless. There's another 3 minutes of my life wasted.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Editor said:

This sport often does look is fookin' ridiculous to others...

 

11 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte......                :)

Doubly fixte              ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Pinched to make the layline, squeezed around the top mark, eazed the vang went for the pole, hoisted the kite and cranked up a bit of plate....gave the main a pump...sweet az!" :D

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doug Halsey said:

It isn't for me. What's different?

Haven’t a clue

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's it for me, if the Washington post cannot write a decent article on oOlympic sailing my only choice is to never sail again, i mean what is the point of doing something I enjoy when it has been proclaimed dead.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Editor said:

Atrocity? While the article is buried in snark and nearly unintelligible, he has a point. This sport often does look ridiculous to others...

not often that I agree with scooter but he's got a point here. this sport also has an image issue of being snooty, elitist and classist. much as it pains me to say that reputation is well earned in a lot of places. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the impression Chuck Culpepper (btw: have fun booking a hotel in France with that name!) was too ashamed that he, who knows words such as interloper, internecine and inscrutability, did not understand a thing. 

So he put the blame on the sport rather than on himself, because after all, why should he bother? He's only a sports journalist, specialising in 'national college sports as well as some tennis, golf and international sports' (what's that? This soccer thing?)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

no mention of my favorite sailing phrase, "blow the guy."  He could've had a field day with that one, especially if said by a female 470 sailer.

 

"As we approached the leeward mark I had to blow the guy so I could take it down, the chute."

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wetabehindtheears said:

Sailing will never be a spectator sport and only the participants understand what is going on.

That is as profound a statement that could possibly ever be made.  Until one is actually in a boat, being propelled by sails alone, feeling the boat move though the water, all the time being an active participant in helping the boat move though the water effectively; One can never understand sailing.  

I suspect that less than half but probably more like one quarter or less appreciate this feeling.  The rest, sit there wishing they had brought their needlepoint (the men) or a good book on the latest goings on in hollywood (the girls) or for the boys and women, anything else to wile away the time.  

Sailing, you either get it, or you just plainly can’t stand it.  No middle ground here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having written some articles for a variety of sites in the past, this is exactly the kind of piece you'd expect someone to write if they had spent the prior night drinking and partying instead of researching their actual subject before a deadline was due...

 

I'm by no means a professional author but I have learned as I've grown older that unless an article is expressly written by an expert in that specific field, it's more likely that it was written by someone with a bachelor's degree who did under an hour of googling (paid by the word = paid to write, not paid to research) before publishing. Whether that's Mr. Culpepper's embarrassingly overlong paean to his own ignorance about sailing or any one of the million interchangeable "Top 10 Products to Buy for X!", the majority of authors and reporters don't know anything which couldn't be gleaned from a half hour's googling. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2021 at 1:36 AM, Editor said:

Atrocity? While the article is buried in snark and nearly unintelligible, he has a point. This sport often does look ridiculous to others...

It's not the world's greatest snark, but I for one salute anybody who throws snark of any grade at any part of the Olympic circus. It's all the show deserves

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 8:36 PM, Editor said:

Atrocity? While the article is buried in snark and nearly unintelligible, he has a point. This sport often does look ridiculous to others...

Well fuck, what sport doesn’t look ridiculous to outsiders....

synchronized swimming. Let’s dress up in garish outfits and tons of make up and dance in the pool

dressage, specially bred high stepping horses

rhythmic gymnastics, tie a piece of silk to a stick and twirl it around while dancing

speed walking. It looks like they gave themselves an enema and have to keep their sphincter clenched for 50 km

Air rifle Let’s get our special custom made stormtrooper outfit and break out the red rider air rifle and shoot at something on the other side of the garage

Weightlifting. Clean jerk and snatch.  Sound like something a pubescent boy does.

bmx  skateboarding and surfing,  hello x games. What’s next, half pipe?

Velodrome.  Let’s ride a bike, Ina gymnasium because Being outside sucks

ping pong And badminton. Well I want to play tennis but I don’t quite want to play tennis

sport climbing fencing,

karate, judo, wrestling,  let’s just bring on the octagon

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Well fuck, what sport doesn’t look ridiculous to outsiders....

synchronized swimming. Let’s dress up in garish outfits and tons of make up and dance in the pool

dressage, specially bred high stepping horses

....

... horses that are scared of statues of sumo wrestlers....

Saw that on the news this morning, good to start the day with a laugh.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best job I ever had was working at the "BOC Around Alone" yacht race - as the name suggests - a single handed around the globe in stages yacht race - My job? Press Liaison - in effect, translating the experiences of the sailors into layman's terminology for the press....to top it off, the local sponsor was Fosters...so the job description was basically "Talk sailing and drink beer with the sailors and the press"....and the pay was great! I don't recall many details of that 6 week gig (for obvious reasons) but I did have the privilege of spending time with some of the sports legends including Robin Knox-Johnston, Philipe Jeantot and Yukoh Tada - a truly fascinating character that later took his life in tragic circumstances. Have spent the rest of my career trying to find the same level of satisfaction I got from that job..... ;-)

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2021 at 3:47 PM, TwoLegged said:

I for one salute anybody who throws snark of any grade at any part of the Olympic circus. It's all the show deserves

Bitter much?  I take it you don't know many Olympic athletes or Olympic hopefuls.  While I understand people who think the Olympics has no positive impact on our sport, my experience has been that if you gave an Olympic sailor a house brick, he or she would have it planing within a couple of days! 

I salute that degree of talent and dedication.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Bitter much?  I take it you don't know many Olympic athletes or Olympic hopefuls.  While I understand people who think the Olympics has no positive impact on our sport, my experience has been that if you gave an Olympic sailor a house brick, he or she would have it planing within a couple of days! 

I salute that degree of talent and dedication.

Bitter?  No, just angry at sporting resources and energies being diverted away from local participation to remote spectacle, and sickened by all the vile commercialism and hubris and flag-waving that goes with it, and all the self-important little officials who get in on the act.

And with the amount of money that gets poured into these few stars, they should really be able to make a lead pipe plane in a flat calm,just by looking at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Bitter?  No, just angry at sporting resources and energies being diverted away from local participation to remote spectacle, and sickened by all the vile commercialism and hubris and flag-waving that goes with it, and all the self-important little officials who get in on the act.

And with the amount of money that gets poured into these few stars, they should really be able to make a lead pipe plane in a flat calm,just by looking at it.

Ah, fuck 2legs, you really are bitter, and a bit twisted as well.  And you aren't value adding to the threads you have been wandering into lately.  Could you please stick to the bikini thread in CA or start a thread about Irish sailing medals and leave us Aussies alone for a change.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife is fond of interrupting a conversation about sailing with the phrase, "I don't speak vang."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Ah, fuck 2legs, you really are bitter, and a bit twisted as well.  And you aren't value adding to the threads you have been wandering into lately.  Could you please stick to the bikini thread in CA or start a thread about Irish sailing medals and leave us Aussies alone for a change.  Thanks.

This thread isn't about Aussies.  It's about a snarky American op-ed about the Olympics in general, so your offence-taking is mistargeted.

You may be one of those who likes sport being focused on elite performers, but my focus is on the opposite: wide participation, which is undermined by the focus on high-achievers that has warped junior sailing programs into feeder and selector schemes for the circuses like the Olympics.  Why don't you stick to threads where people don't trouble you with different priorities?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m at the club in the rain and one of our sailors who is a past Olympian is presently tweaking his E Scow for next week’s race. He came up through our sailing program and is one of maybe 6 local sailing Olympians that I know-3 through our junior sailing…

So, I have to assume that they wanted to get to that level for some reason. I can still beat them in PHRF when the wind is just right.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

This thread isn't about Aussies.  It's about a snarky American op-ed about the Olympics in general, so your offence-taking is mistargeted.

You may be one of those who likes sport being focused on elite performers, but my focus is on the opposite: wide participation, which is undermined by the focus on high-achievers that has warped junior sailing programs into feeder and selector schemes for the circuses like the Olympics.  Why don't you stick to threads where people don't trouble you with different priorities?

You are completely wrong, but don't let that worry you.  You seem to be here more to show how clever and erudite you are than to contribute to the topic of a thread.  Add me to your hate list, but don't expect me to continue to engage with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, fastyacht said:

Fuck em. And what about morris dancing?

Wait. The IOC made Morris dancing an Olympic sport? Fuck, I missed it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Recidivist said:

You are completely wrong, but don't let that worry you.  You seem to be here more to show how clever and erudite you are than to contribute to the topic of a thread.  Add me to your hate list, but don't expect me to continue to engage with you.

Huh?  I don't in any way hate you,or even dislike you.  I just disagree with you on this point, which AFAICR is the only time we have interacted, and where you have told me to go away because you don't like my view.

You seem determined to find hate or bitterness or something where there is none. Very odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...