Feature survey of some 50 apps to help finding the best anchor alarm / anchor watch on iOS / Android

Some hate anchor alarm apps, other love them. For us, living on a boat with just two persons, electronic aids are a must. We cannot afford to be awake half of the night, every night, for years on end. Thus, for us, anchor alarm apps are just one more arrow in the quiver, nothing more, nothing less. And they can operate even when we switch off all other electronics in a thunder storm.

So, in an effort to get a better overview of all the anchor alarms available, I have done a survey of most anchor alarms for iOS and Android and put all this in a long chart where I just list the features. A good number of them I have verified myself, but I am not done yet completely and it is an ongoing process.

I am not giving any advice as to which alarm is the best one, but I give an option as to which features I believe to be important.

Feedback always appreciated.

Cheers, Mathias

I just want one that reminds me to take my phone up to the bow when lowering the anchor so I can accurately mark the spot.

Rather than just guessing afterwards and saying it's about 25m that way.

well based upon a handheld compass,  iphone compass, and samsung tab compass   I found neither digital compass to be accurate and to be 20+*s  off...    and i find that gps chips are inaccurate when stationary so how could they possibly measure movement if it's a slow creep..

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

well based upon a handheld compass,  iphone compass, and samsung tab compass   I found neither digital compass to be accurate and to be 20+*s  off...    and i find that gps chips are inaccurate when stationary so how could they possibly measure movement if it's a slow creep..

GPS as built into phones are for sure not as accurate as a GPS with a proper antenna of a boat. However, GPS measures position and not movement, which is only a derived quantity, so it does not matter how slow you creep. It will catch it. Not with a metre accuracy, but with a few meters accuracy.

27 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Does B+G have this feature built in their MFDs?

yes, but then you're running your mfd all night. 

27 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Does B+G have this feature built in their MFDs?

They do have anchor alarm, but afaik you can not position the anchor after the fact. They only allow a circle around the current position of the boat. If you have moved away from the anchor position already, you are screwed.