Melges 24 boom height

Not sure what to tell you since it's a pretty strict one design set-up but I think my crew gets under the boom just fine and I frequently find myself stepping aft of the boom on tacks due to its height.

• Like 1

as stated above, its a strict one-design boat, all the melges 24 will have boom at same height, suggest you learn how to duck or wear a helmet. if you cant get under a melges boom.... dont buy a finn. good luck :)

• 3 months later...

Had to sail Melges 24 lately with an Dyneema forestay. Over 3 Days it got longer and longer.

I know another Melges 24 team where the Helm wasnt the lightest man, to go through gybes they had to open the main sheet so he would fit underneath.

19 hours ago, EbbAndFlow said:

Had to sail Melges 24 lately with an Dyneema forestay. Over 3 Days it got longer and longer.

I know another Melges 24 team where the Helm wasnt the lightest man, to go through gybes they had to open the main sheet so he would fit underneath.

It should be easy enough to go around the aft end of the boom but if the helm is a bigger person, it may not be ideal to go far aft with that weight. 

When I got my Melges 24, the previous owner was using the flexible wire of the jib halyard/forestay to hold up the mast, not the aircraft eye swage fitting. We were in a little bit of shock. 

• 4 weeks later...

a too-long headstay or mainsail leach would do it - all it takes is a very little when the tolerances are close

FWIW I never felt the boom was particularly low on the M24 and I've been clipped on by a couple booms over the years - Heck,  one batch of buddies still call me "Limbo Man" for getting clocked by a One-Tonner boom - now THAT hurts.