So I accepted a job in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and I still have lots of hurdles to pass before I move over there. But one of the things I have to do is quarantine on Honolulu at a military base hotel for 2 weeks. So we were thinking why don't we go over there a week earlier and do the tourist thing. Neither of us have ever been there. And of course would love to do some sailing while there or racing as crew for anything??? So any ideas of charters or where to hang out for beer can racing would be awesome!! Also just general ideas of what to do or see would be awesome too!!

Contact Great Red Shark or any of the 6-8 locals out there. Nothing available commercial except beach cat rides.

Dave, check Hawaii & Waikiki YCs for beer can racing. I used to just walk down the piers with a six-pack. Never failed go find a boat.

Both clubs on the S shore of Oahu, literally right across the channel from each other.

• Like 4

We enjoy the Paragon Catamaran day trip to Lanai from Lahaina.   Small group and the Capt will let you steer in the right conditions.  Snorkel some coral then swim with spinner dolphins if they are around.  Its not a fancy high end operation but its the best sailing on a fast boat when the wind is up

Ditto the advice above on Hawaii Yacht Club and Waikiki Yacht Club Friday night beercan racing.  HYC can be easier to get into.  There are some small daysailing charter outfits in Honolulu—there are a couple of big blue Beneteaus that go out just about every day, and some 6 pack stuff on smaller boats.  Beach cats off Waikiki can be fun—Mai Tai catamaran is a real mover, and Makani Kai (out of Kewalo Basin) is a lovely boat.  If you have military connections, Rainbow Bay Marina is in Pearl Harbor and has boats you can check out for a daysail.

Good information from those who posted above. For many years there was a "circuit" of sorts here for beer cans. Wednesdays at Keehi, (Sand Island), Thursdays, at Kaneohe YC, and Fridays at the Alai Wai, both HYC and Waikiki YC. Your best bet will be to hang out around the piers at the Ala Wai on a Friday, late afternoon, but I'd recommend at least a cold pack vs. a six'er.

COVID has changed things. La Marianas closed and is still closed and I don't know if it will re-open, for Keehi that's where most would meet, greet & eat but that was generally after the race anyways, (boy do I miss that place!!! Real diamond in the rough!!). KYC is private and unless you know some one who is a member, or there is an event going on, you're pretty much persona non-grata. On Fridays Waikiki YC & HYC ARE more or less right across from each other but the HYC side might be the easier side to catch a ride. The advice from the Great Unwashed is sound, if you are military, decent boats are available for day sails from the club at Hickam AFB.

• 2 weeks later...

No bareboat charters unfortunately, but, once you sail in Hawaii, you will understand.  The conditions can be extreme.   You can definitely charter a sailboat with a captain/crew.   You are almost better off hanging at the yacht club and seeing if anyone needs crew at one of the weekly races.  I am not really dialed into Oahu as I am Maui.