Drains in dinghy boots?

Before I punch holes in my new Zhik boots I gotta wonder why nobody puts drains in boots.  Anyone have any compelling reasons why I shouldn't?  My old Sperrys had them but they're worn the fuck out and I need some new boots.  Sailing around in boots full of water sucks.

I'd do old sneakers but they smell like shit in no time and I'm in a Finn so a little extra help on the hiking is worth it enough to use real dinghy boots.  

• Like 1

They might come off more easily in the same way liquid pours out of a can more easily if you punch out a second hole.
Or put in a pair of Elvstrom bailers.

Large drain holes let in small gravel, sand, shell grit etc. which is uncomfortable so make the holes small. I used hot coat hanger wire to melt 3 holes under each arch just above the sole, which is where the water tends to pool. The holes are almost invisible, water drains out slowly, nothing comes in.

• Like 1

Tiny hole sound clever!

I beach launch and find myself having to take off the shoes, clean them, put them back on in the boat. When onshore breeze at 20, this is a hell of a job. Sometimes I risk it (stupid!) and go barefoot until in the boat. OK on some beaches dangerous on pthers.

So if the small holes on close fitting dinghy boots works, then that is a big reason for dinghy boots!

Serious question , is this just a American thing or am  I just missing missing some thing because I mostly dry foot launch .

Its just I have been sailing for 35 years and I have never met anyone who has made holes in their boots at any of the clubs I have ever sailed at .

7 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Serious question , is this just a American thing or am  I just missing missing some thing because I mostly dry foot launch .

Its just I have been sailing for 35 years and I have never met anyone who has made holes in their boots at any of the clubs I have ever sailed at .

What on earth is a dry foot launch? You mean like this:
Royal-Barge-forces-vessels-lifeboats-queens-pageant - Classic Boat Magazine

Ha ha , no I mean at my club we all launch down the same slipway and then tie up to a landing stage . No wading in the water to start with . No water in my boots ever . And even when I go to other clubs where I have to wade up to my waist to launch , it never entered my head that where was any need to get rid of the very tiny amount of water that’s in my boots and wet suit socks .:D

After all I wouldn’t think to get the water out of my wetsuit or hikers either .

• Like 1
On 8/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, Xeon said:

Ha ha , no I mean at my club we all launch down the same slipway and then tie up to a landing stage . No wading in the water to start with . No water in my boots ever . And even when I go to other clubs where I have to wade up to my waist to launch , it never entered my head that where was any need to get rid of the very tiny amount of water that’s in my boots and wet suit socks .:D

After all I wouldn’t think to get the water out of my wetsuit or hikers either .

I've launched from a dock where I didn't need to get my feet wet maybe twice - at least outside of college sailing. With a boat like the 29er that would mostly be a non starter anyway at all but the most protected launching sites since you need to hold the boat at the shrouds... and even then those docks were a bit perilous (looking at you Coconut Grove). 

Not to mention if you capsize or if the cockpit swamps. Plus water is constantly draining down your leg when you're hiking and can eventually get an uncomfortable amount of water in your boot. 

• Like 1

I put holes in my booties for a totally different reason.

I windsurf, and when railing the board you put a lot of pressure into you toes. I found that my feet would squeeze into the front and kind of vacuum in, crushing my toes and I couldn't get it to release. I drilled a small hole near the top of my second toe and this releases the pressure well! :D

I got a pair of the high cut zhik boots but the weight of them proved a bit too much for me, especially after a capsize. By the end of an intense training session of tacking and gybing on the sound of the coach's whistle (hardly 10 seconds apart!), my feet felt like they had monkeys clinging onto them. In the end I got the zhik low cut ankle boot which comes with draining holes (circa 2 millimetres diameter). They drain well and are working great for me. I use them in the kayak too and for windsurfing.

Edited by fishnchips
clarification