First year on my J29 Frac. There are 6 in our club and all seem to have a different backstay arrangement. Mine is simplest of all but doesn’t allow much adjustment and doesn’t lead forward to where the mainsail trimmer can reach it. Is there an optimal arrangement for the J29?  
til now we just set it up wind and rarely touch it unless the wind changes dramatically. Ease downwind. But I’ve heard of others who play the backstay upwind as much as the traveller or main sheet.  Just trying to figure out when I would play the backstay over the traveller or main sheet. And would love a diagram of the optimal arrangement. 

Back stay is a key adjustment in main sail trim, especially as the breeze goes up. MH boats run 72:1 fine tune or better.  Setup a course and fine tune so that you don’t wear out the main sail trimmer.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:47 AM, bloodshot said:

I recall the cascade setup on the website was only 48:1?  

There's only two boats that I know of that run 72:1 backstays(Hustler and Seefest). 48:1 is the standard setup for most. That's for MH boats. Fracs need WAY less purchase. 24:1 is more than enough for a frac. 

I can provide pics or a drawing for the 72:1 MH arrangement if anybody is interested.  

Thanks folks. Found the website. HAd no idea. But that system is way overkill for me. Believe it or not we have a 4:1 system right now and its not that bad. 8:1 would seem sufficient for my purposes. Still unsure when or how often the mainsail trimmer is adjusting the backstay over adjusting all the other mainsail controls. Is it often enough to warrant leading the lines to both sides and forward? Id just as soon leave the cockpit cleaner. 

37 minutes ago, wbrent said:

Thanks folks. Found the website. HAd no idea. But that system is way overkill for me. Believe it or not we have a 4:1 system right now and its not that bad. 8:1 would seem sufficient for my purposes. Still unsure when or how often the mainsail trimmer is adjusting the backstay over adjusting all the other mainsail controls. Is it often enough to warrant leading the lines to both sides and forward? Id just as soon leave the cockpit cleaner. 

Depends what level of racing you compete. If you're only beer canning it then a "set it and forget" could be right for you. If you're sailing OD or a very competetive fleet it would be beneficial to run it to both sides of the cockpit and play it in puffs and lulls. On a frac especially, you can open and close the mainsail leech to good advantage while sailing upwind. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, reverend mother said:

Yes, Squalamax - I'd like to see the drawing for my MHIB.  Thank you.

J29 Wahoo, Chicago

If I remember correctly you start with a 6:1.  Out of the bottom of the 6:1 is a cam cleat with the exit of the course tune.  The bail of that 6:1 goes to a line which runs through a heavy block attached to the back stay, and then terminates on the opposite side of the transom.  
Out of the top of either middle or side block of that 6:1 you attach a triple block.  Then a double and single at the bottom so that you can split the exits to either side for the fine tune.  You wind up with a 12:1 course tune and 72:1 fine tune.

Ira, does that sound correct?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, sailman said:

If I remember correctly you start with a 6:1.  Out of the bottom of the 6:1 is a cam cleat with the exit of the course tune.  The bail of that 6:1 goes to a line which runs through a heavy block attached to the back stay, and then terminates on the opposite side of the transom.  
Out of the top of either middle or side block of that 6:1 you attach a triple block.  Then a double and single at the bottom so that you can split the exits to either side for the fine tune.  You wind up with a 12:1 course tune and 72:1 fine tune.

Ira, does that sound correct?

Yes, thats correct. 

The Garhourer blocks aren't exactly light, but they are bulletproof and economical.

Upwind, the backstay is played to power-up and depower the mainsail in puffs and lulls. Think of it as a way to fine tune angle-of- heel, whereas raising or dropping the traveler is the gross tune.

To that end, I felt having the backstay double ended allowed you to make adjustments without comprising crew weight leverage.  Clamoring down to the low side to quickly depower the main can do more harm than good.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Pokey uh da LBC said:

The following diagram depics the backstay system on Cherry Bomb and worked great for us.

Backstay Diagram1.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Pokey uh da LBC said:

The following diagram depics the backstay system on Cherry Bomb and worked great for us.

Backstay Diagram1.jpg

Looks like 32:1. 

When I had the J/29 FROB I think we had it as a 4:1 that was only accessible from the driver position. We never used it unless it was really blowing, all the mast bend was from the main sheet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Masthead/Outboard. We have a 6:1 each side, under the deck, up through a wire block (which are attached to two wire blocks on original bridle) and down to a 6:1 on other side under the deck. Is approx a 12:1 on the purchase, but doesn't take into account the bridle effect! Is set up so the B/S is right beside the traveler. Played it in the puffs, B/S on when ya see the puff, then drop traveler. wears out a trimmer pretty fast! Am modding it to have a course and fine for next year

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, alifish said:

Masthead/Outboard. We have a 6:1 each side, under the deck, up through a wire block (which are attached to two wire blocks on original bridle) and down to a 6:1 on other side under the deck. Is approx a 12:1 on the purchase, but doesn't take into account the bridle effect! Is set up so the B/S is right beside the traveler. Played it in the puffs, B/S on when ya see the puff, then drop traveler. wears out a trimmer pretty fast! Am modding it to have a course and fine for next year

I've thought about doing a completely under deck backstay system for years now. I would make it 12:1 gross, 72:1 fine like my present above deck system. 

I only play the fine tune upwind in puffs and lulls. The gross tune gets eased for fraculating down wind.