J/80 racers - spinnaker launch bag retraction ?

Hi All,

Setting up a new (to me) boat.  Will be having a retrievable system for the spin launch bag.  My question is,  do you have it retract forward to the mast, or abeam to port?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ours just sits there. We can easily disconnect the aft right  corner if a big guy needs to go below. Otherwise, it pretty much sits hooked and ready 24/7/365

every J-80 needs to have its chainplates resealed …. Unless you did a perfect job this morning. 

perhaps the single biggest enemy of your J-80 is water accidentally stored inside. 

you CANNOT reseal any fitting too often. You cannot check for  water in the back compartments too often.

we just installed a solar ventilator in the center back deck plate on #488.  You are destroying your boat unless you can  open the screw out plates and find a bone dry compartment 

You can put on whatever nice new fittings and gear the class allows but if you do not keep your J-80 bone dry inside it will be garbage in a few years. 

I have seen setups where the bag sits on a rail system made of tensioned lines and a bungee keeps it forward.  A simple purchase with a cam cleat pulls it back for use, when done release the cleat and the bag moves forward

3 hours ago, sailman said:

I have seen setups where the bag sits on a rail system made of tensioned lines and a bungee keeps it forward.  A simple purchase with a cam cleat pulls it back for use, when done release the cleat and the bag moves forward

this. easy and efficient. you can use stick on rings as fasteners