Rigging for 1978 420

My son just bought a 1978 420. Having trouble with rigging.  Can anyone show a photo or diagram of how everything in the boat (all pulleys,etc) are supposed to be set up?  Seems much different than new 420's which he is used to sailing. 

Hopefully very little. But different. Yes. Because that is before the modern conception of the "club" 420. But there were club boats back then. The original 420 (known as the "International 420") has a tapered mast, trapeze, spinnaker. The club boats also usually have the spinnaker and trapeze (except the collegiate boats) but straight section masts. The older boats had wood structure--especially the hog (in American you might say "keelson") and the cross structure. They had actual travelers. Collegiate boats no, just a bridle. All are center sheeted though.

Entirely possible that the spinnaker guy arrangement is different, also the shock cord takeup for the trapeze and the pole downhaul ("foreguy" on big boats). You can also post photos here--just downsize (usually simply cropping does that without resizing).

2 hours ago, Lorne said:

My son just bought a 1978 420. Having trouble with rigging.  Can anyone show a photo or diagram of how everything in the boat (all pulleys,etc) are supposed to be set up?  Seems much different than new 420's which he is used to sailing. 

If he's a sailor, can't he just figure it out?! There were a number of different system layouts over the years in 420s, asking for a 'users manual' or picture of somebody else's boat probably won't help.

Although I remember a tapered mast on out boats as a kid in the 70s, as I look at stuff online I see that when Harken built the 420 they ended up not building internationals but club instead--so that means in the 1970s...at any rate the basic controls aren't all that different. I raced international 420 for some years but C420 in college and my kids raced them in junior sailing. Like ojfd says you pretty much should be able to scratch your head and find the answers. If there is something specifically weird send a specific question.

That's a very simple boat. Seems to have a bridle on the transome for the mainsheet, but the block on the boom needs a becket so you can rig it Laser style. I'm sure you can improvise!

Block you are holding was something for the outhaul and you can take it off and tension the outhaul with a piece of thin cord, shackle and tie it. Does not need to be adjustable on the water.

that's an FJ, based off of the centerboard trunk and jib tracks. But then... there appears to be awfully little freeboard in the transom for it to be an FJ. Bow is too pointed for a 420 too. eh. 

Mainsheet appears to be configured for a 2:1 off the back of the boom. So, block at the aft end of the trunk, up to the boom, aft along the boom (through a catcher or three so you don't get hung. I often just used electrical tape folded in half where the main runs through it if i didn't have anything better on hand), to a block on a bridle*, back to the block at the end of the boom and tied to its' becket. If block on the boom does not have a becket, replace it with one that does. You can use the eye that the block is attached to but it's fugly. 

*bridle: appears to already be configured in the transom. 

Red line appears to be a mainsheet. 

Block on the top of the boom is for the outhaul as dart96 said. There should be a cleat somewhere along the boom, run through that, to the block, tie to sail. 

You'll need some ratchet 40mm or 57mm blocks for the jib sheets. 

No thwart. Both fj and 420 have thwarts at the cb.

Is the mast deck stepped? Never seen a deck stepped 420. 

I do remember some having the flat bulkhead in front of the partners like the 470, but most have the space in front for the spin turtle. I sailed one in the 80s that had no front tank, totally open under the deck. 

That is a strange looking boat for sure

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Seems like a Canadian boat. Could be from Paceship? I'll see what I can dig up.

Some pics from a bit further back would help.

Doesn't look like an FJ or 4twinky, maybe it's a Lark? There's only about a jillion different kinds of little sailboats.

FB- Doug

• 3 weeks later...

For rigging it rig the mainsheet either as a laser style sheeting or mid boom sheeting (if you can be bothered, but it does come with a bridle)

jib sheets that go to one fairlead then a cleat

Cunningham (im assuming you don't want to race this boat so whatever is the easiest to use)

Outhaul is threaded through the boom on your boat? If not go laser style or rivet a cleat on the end of your boom like an oppi or an pacer

Make sure you've got a board tensioning system of somesort (either rope into a cleat or a super tight bungee)

Mast rake wire through the mast 6-1

Chocks -buy them

Spinnaker -  Make sure you have brace cleats and a spinnaker halyard cleat.

Trapeze-?? if you have just make sure the bungee is set up and its all secure.

Main halyard can be a lock off internally with a eye splice or hook with a wire inside the mast, or it could just be a plastic cleat and tie of.

As you said your son is used to sailing 420's so im sure he'll know all of this stuff

Probably forgotten a few things been a we while since i've sailed a 420.