I'm trying to figure out how to rig the reefing line on my new (to me) J/95. I think I've got it mostly figured out, but I'm not clear on how to terminate the reefing line on the aft end of the boom. In the attached sketch, it looks like the line would go from the clutch to a block at the base of the mast, then up to a block on the mast, then to a block on the reef point on the luff of the sail, then back down and through a sheave in the boom, through the boom exiting on a sheave on the aft end, then up to and through the clew reef cringle then back down and terminated where? (Hopefully this is better described in the sketch)

Where does the end of the line terminate after it goes through the clew reef cringle?

Also, Is a small block on the luff typical?

Any information is appreciated. 

Reefing.001.jpeg

Yes it ties down around the boom by tying the reefing line back onto itself with a bowline. The single line reefing setup you have drawn will work but you may find lots of stretch and friction in the system. Another method is to keep the reefing line setup like you have at the clew ens but use a snap shackle or rams horn fitting to attach the tack point 

Yes, tie it to the boom if the mainsail is loose-footed. But unlike you have drawn run it thru the cringle the other way. You want all the reefing line parts on the side opposite from where the reefed sailcloth goes.

Sometimes the loop tied around the boom wanders unhelpfully aft. You can make a full turn before tying to reduce that annoyance.

A downside of single line reefing is that the outhaul needs far more tension than should ever be on the luff. Helps to figure a solution to that in advance. 

Couple more questions—-

There’s a hole in the aft end of the boom as of it were there to accept a shackle to terminate the reefing line. That would be way aft of the reefing point, but I can figure what else it would be for.

Also—- Is there value in using a high tech line in the interest of using a smaller diameter line? The current line is 1/2”. 

The hole could be for a poor place to terminate the reefing line. Or for a topping lift. The downward trim provided by tying to the boom is valuable. 

The biggest advantage of low-stretch line here us abrasion. By necessity the line has plenty of places to rub. Minimizing movement can save both the line and the sail. Because I spend a great amount of time reefed while cruising, the ends of the reefing lines are sacrificial Dyneema double-eye-spliced to the more costly reefing line. Most of the wear is at the clew cringles and near the end-boom sheaves where adjacent lines sometimes rub. Good to check those points daily. Moving the lines a bit can prolong their short life.