best time to buy a used cruiser/racer on the West Coast

Hi there,

What is the best time to buy a used cruiser/racer on the west coast? Specifically SF and LA area, 30-40ft cruiser/racer. Is there lower demand due to the end of racing season? When is the racing season on the west coast? Thanks

I think the season really depends on where you are.  In SoCal (LA) area, the season ends on Dec31 and starts on Jan 1.  Everyone thinks their boats are worth 25% more than you can afford.  In NorCal (SF) the season ends on Dec 31 and starts on Jan 1. It’s just colder and a bit more damp.  Everyone thinks their boats are worth 35% more than you can afford.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

I think the season really depends on where you are.  In SoCal (LA) area, the season ends on Dec31 and starts on Jan 1.  Everyone thinks their boats are worth 25% more than you can afford.  In NorCal (SF) the season ends on Dec 31 and starts on Jan 1. It’s just colder and a bit more damp.  Everyone thinks their boats are worth 35% more than you can afford.

Haha - true. When I sell my Ericson 35, I'll be asking $50k!

Go to Hawaii, and make offers to the first time ocean crosser as their significant other runs to the airport. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Keith said:

Go to Hawaii, and make offers to the first time ocean crosser as their significant other runs to the airport. 

Divorce boats- similar for cruising boats in Cabo or La Paz

31 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Divorce boats- similar for cruising boats in Cabo or La Paz

No, not really, just people that never really understood what it takes to cross an ocean of a few thousand miles.....24-7.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

When I was first getting into sailing a very experienced guy I knew told me that ports at the end of a long haul were the best places to buy an ocean crosser - Gibraltar, Panama, Hawaii etc.

That's where the dream crashes for many people when they realize they have to do that again to get anywhere.

Plus the boats are a lot more likely to be fully equipped.

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

When I was first getting into sailing a very experienced guy I knew told me that ports at the end of a long haul were the best places to buy an ocean crosser - Gibraltar, Panama, Hawaii etc.

That's where the dream crashes for many people when they realize they have to do that again to get anywhere.

and ports where the off wind passage turn to windward  ..... Phuket amongst others 

13 hours ago, xanaduet said:

Hi there,

What is the best time to buy a used cruiser/racer on the west coast? Specifically SF and LA area, 30-40ft cruiser/racer. Is there lower demand due to the end of racing season? When is the racing season on the west coast? Thanks

Bay Area races all year with a break in January which seems like the only month of winter. Most non race boats sit in the colder winter months and that might be the time to buy? but with the mild winter and less wind a lot of people sail then.  The Baja ha ha is coming up in the fall, after boats make it to Cabo some dont want to bash home and there might be a deal there.

4 hours ago, Editor said:

Uh, the entire year is racing season here in So Cal. But allegedly it does rain here in the winter. Find the boat you want and buy it!

True in bay area too, the so called winter is the time when you can sai/racel without jackets, a reefed main and #3

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's what I did, got my boat for 50% less than in the USA, BUT covid and shoulder surgery prevented me from using it for two years, hopefully 2022 will change all of that. Others bought much bigger boats in the same marina at the same time for even less, e.g. $20k for a 44ft monohull, however those were close to project boats and not fully equipped. They both eventually got them sailing, one to Florida, one to Columbia.

The best time to buy a boat in CA is within 30 seconds of it being posted to Craigslist.  

16 hours ago, xanaduet said:

Hi there,

The SF J/Boats dealer has a bunch of cool boats in your size range in their brokerage listings right now. Based on what I'm seeing now vs a year ago, people are moving out of > 35' boats that need a big crew and into smaller boats that can be raced double handed or even solo.

Not now! With COVID driven buying of outdoor recreation items, it is a used boat seller’s market in a huge way.  

I just sold my 31’ cruiser racer for 21% more than I bought it for a mere 3 years ago…

Now is the time to sit on your hands and wait…