J120 Jameerah sustains keel damage at Fastnet

They made it back to port but you wonder how. Many of the J120s with a hull number less than 25 have had that happen to them. The first 24 boats were built with the floor grid being added after the hull had cured and it would break free in a heavy sea state. After hull 24 the grid was laid up at the same time as the hull and the were infused at the same time.

Anyone know what hull #  Jameerah is?  

I know Rudy Hasl's J120 Hassle Free had that happen to it. It was hull # 17 or 18. J Boats knew they were a problem but was keeping the matter a secret from the owners.

The photo was given to me being represented to be Jameerah.

J1200-fastnet.jpg

1 minute ago, Squalamax said:

307634531.gallery.jpg.b2157389fb7085dd98b4f77164ba1330.jpg

Looks like the same boat. This pic is from the Beneteau 40.7 thread on the main page. The person who posted this claimed this was a Beneteau First 40 that sustained damage in Fastnet. 

Which is it? The J or the Bendy?  

The article Matagi link clearly states they hit something while racing Fasnet…so we can dispense with the “random” keel falls off boat stuff

7 hours ago, Crash said:

The article Matagi link clearly states they hit something while racing Fasnet…so we can dispense with the “random” keel falls off boat stuff

I like my keels attached, even when I hit something.

I didn’t mean you/your comments, and I too prefer my keel stays on even after I hit something :o

In reality, I likely mixed up comments from the 40.7 thread on SA…:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Those guys are heroes.  Can I get that kind of service from the Coast Guard?

Key facts about the RNLI

The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.

• Like 1
On 8/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Hard On The Wind said:

They made it back to port but you wonder how. Many of the J120s with a hull number less than 25 have had that happen to them. The first 24 boats were built with the floor grid being added after the hull had cured and it would break free in a heavy sea state. After hull 24 the grid was laid up at the same time as the hull and the were infused at the same time.

Anyone know what hull #  Jameerah is?  

I know Rudy Hasl's J120 Hassle Free had that happen to it. It was hull # 17 or 18. J Boats knew they were a problem but was keeping the matter a secret from the owners.

The photo was given to me being represented to be Jameerah.

J1200-fastnet.jpg

The article says that they hit something. Don't you think you might be jumping the gun talking about build quality, hull numbers, "keeping secrets" and so-on?

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

The article says that they hit something. Don't you think you might be jumping the gun talking about build quality, hull numbers, "keeping secrets" and so-on?

The OP knows the 120 keel issues very well.

On 8/26/2021 at 12:23 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

The owner Simon Ruffles said that they did not hit something. The damage was from flying off of a couple of big waves.
image.png.c9dcae7b66b124d851823b6f9d4c255f.png
image.png.d841cf4e4a3f7716965215a5767a446b.png

image.png.3f4fefb0d6156d7e03b74ca827b057d6.png

image.png

image.png.3f4fefb0d6156d7e03b74ca827b057d6.png

That's the spirit! 

As bad as the situation is, I applaud the owner for being pretty relaxed about it and making some lemonade out of that lemon j-uice.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:22 AM, Crash said:

Bump.  So what did they find, what do they think caused the damage, and what is the status of repairs?

J120s prior to hull #24 were laid-up improperly. If you don't get the keel sump reworked on those first boats then this will happen in due course. The floor grid pops free from the hull and then the hull has to support the weight of the keel all by itself. 

? My recollections of that issue (I was commissioning J boats) is that there were no athwartships stringers around the keel sump, & the keel loads were flexing the flat areas around the keel. 120's had stringers laminated in to add rigidity (3?). These added stringers did not extend down into the sump more than a couple of inches, so did not add much strength to the area that cracked on Jameerah

2 hours ago, longy said:

? My recollections of that issue (I was commissioning J boats) is that there were no athwartships stringers around the keel sump, & the keel loads were flexing the flat areas around the keel. 120's had stringers laminated in to add rigidity (3?). These added stringers did not extend down into the sump more than a couple of inches, so did not add much strength to the area that cracked on Jameerah

On the first 24 boats the athwartship stringers were tabbed in after the hull had cured leaving a mechanical bond only. When stressed they would pop free from the hull. On subsequent builds those stringers were scrimped in during the initial infusion thus they were bonded to the hull chemically.   Problems solved.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

J120s prior to hull #24 were laid-up improperly. If you don't get the keel sump reworked on those first boats then this will happen in due course. The floor grid pops free from the hull and then the hull has to support the weight of the keel all by itself. 

Just out of curiosity, is it confirmed that Jameerah's is one of the affected hull numbers, and that it was never reworked appropriately?

10 hours ago, mckenzie.keith said:

Just out of curiosity, is it confirmed that Jameerah's is one of the affected hull numbers, and that it was never reworked appropriately?

It was confirmed that it is hull 10 and that they did not hit anything in the water. I've no more information on it.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

On the first 24 boats the athwartship stringers were tabbed in after the hull had cured leaving a mechanical bond only. When stressed they would pop free from the hull. On subsequent builds those stringers were scrimped in during the initial infusion thus they were bonded to the hull chemically.   Problems solved.

All the pre scrimp J Boats had their floor timbers secondary bonded/tabbed in after the hull was layed up. There must have been some other issue with the 120's that caused the initial failures. Not an adequate amount of floors maybe?  

6 hours ago, Squalamax said:

All the pre scrimp J Boats had their floor timbers secondary bonded/tabbed in after the hull was layed up. There must have been some other issue with the 120's that caused the initial failures. Not an adequate amount of floors maybe?  

None of the J120's were prescrimp. But the pre hull #24 had the floor grid pop loose and as far as I know none of the post hull 24s have had a problem. Maybe can't make a mechanical bond to scripmed hulls? 

17 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

None of the J120's were prescrimp. But the pre hull #24 had the floor grid pop loose and as far as I know none of the post hull 24s have had a problem. Maybe can't make a mechanical bond to scripmed hulls? 

Everything else in a scrimp J120 is secondary bonded in(bulkheads, ect)

I would wager, it was either prep or design flaw for the initial 24 hulls.