Marina Del Rey is serving up its best, typical conditions for the fleet (i.e. brutal chop, light air, streaky puffs), completely unlike the pre-Worlds conditions a week and a half ago.  Shoreside events are nice and completely outdoors.  

Nice job Mid life crisis! Coming back from  22nd and a 21st to get a podium. Very respectable. 

All over but the crying:

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=10698

Peter Duncan’s team takes the full pros.

The Janov sibling clan takes the one pro (That’s a thing?). Edit. Possible further action to be taken from race 4 protest!?

Jay Golison and co take the Corinthians.

17 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

All over but the crying:

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=10698

Peter Duncan’s team takes the full pros.

The Janov sibling clan takes the one pro (That’s a thing?). Edit. Possible further action to be taken from race 4 protest!?

Jay Golison and co take the Corinthians.

The Chilean Ducasse family won the Corinthian division.  The Janov children did a great job being consistent.

• Like 1

Dark Energy got dinged a point for not having their back-up spinnaker aboard.  If you measured in a back-up spinnaker, you had to carry it on board for all races.  It was mentioned several times in the morning Competitor's Meetings.  The first 15 boats that finished each race were subject to random equipment checks.  the Technical Director would walk the docks every morning and make lists for corrections.  Lifeline tension was the most common issue, even though there was only a few minutes of hiking throughout the week.  He had several boats change the spinnaker halyard cleats that had been mounted upside down.  

Making people change spinnaker halyard cleats mounted upside down.  Next they will be taking away everyone’s tactical/navigation computers.  Oh wait.  Perhaps that would be a good thing for One Design sailing.  Racing with just a watch, a magnetic compass, a Windex and a VHF radio (if verbal Race Committee communication at a distance is necessary).  Seat of the paints sailing is the ultimate equalizer.  Spinnaker halyard cleats, not so much.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, timmytwinstay said:

Making people change spinnaker halyard cleats mounted upside down. 

It's a world championship, you have to live with the rules as written, the rules can be changed (and in some cases have been), for the spinnaker halyard you are allowed to attach a clip to the boom to hold the halyard out of the jaws, because the specification says you can:

Option to add a carabiner clip to underside of boom (to an existing fitting) for running the spinnaker halyard tail.

but you can't modify the builder supplied cleat because:

THESE RULES ARE CLOSED CLASS RULES: IF IT DOES NOT SPECIFICALLY SAY THAT YOU “MAY” THEN YOU “SHALL NOT.”

So even if the change has no significant effect, until the class changes the rule to allow it, you can't do it.

10 minutes ago, silent bob said:

They're all One Design.  Just, some are more One Design than others!

Etchells of different vintages have different depth keels, and they race together, as one designs.  I used to know the performance differences, but it's been a year or so, since I crewed on one. 

One design is all about the rules. Some classes are more stringent than others. Owners should have an educated understanding of how the class rules are administered before they buy in. You are always going to have the optimizers and the traditionalists.  You just need to find a class that fits. Sometimes that's a box rule rather than strict One design. 

17 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Etchells of different vintages have different depth keels, and they race together, as one designs.  I used to know the performance differences, but it's been a year or so, since I crewed on one. 

I got to sail on one of Ian Bashford’s cheater boats.  It was pretty sweet!