This is I think the third in a series of rigging questions that aren’t covered in my J/95 owners manual. 

It looks like the previous owner just had a hook on the cunningham line that I guess he clipped into the cringle on the sail. Is that the best option? Also, I’ve only sailed the boat once so far, but I was able to get the luff tight without the cunningham. Was that just dumb luck?

Thats probably fine. I assume a purchase to adjust the cunningham.

Most boats use halyard tension to set the luff and the cunningham for fine tuning and when you need it really tight in heavy winds. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, Quickstep192 said:

This is I think the third in a series of rigging questions that aren’t covered in my J/95 owners manual. 

It looks like the previous owner just had a hook on the cunningham line that I guess he clipped into the cringle on the sail. Is that the best option? Also, I’ve only sailed the boat once so far, but I was able to get the luff tight without the cunningham. Was that just dumb luck?

I don't know about the J/95 specifically, but this is a common technique. Generally the halyard will control the draft position in the top 2/3 of the sail and the cunningham the bottom 1/3. You shouldn't need much purchase. 

Your mast should have a black band around it just below the masthead. This is the measured max hoist position for the headboard. Hoisting above this position may jam you shackle into the masthead assembly. Also this mark limits the mainsail size (along with boom end black band) to allow a rating system to calculate sail size.

Most racing mainsails are built as large as possible, when hoisted to the mark the luff will still be slack. Racing sails are built to have all draft control done by c/ham, if you need to drop the halyard to get the luff soft enuff the sail is short on hoist.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I gave it a whirl yesterday and the hook doesn't even fit in the cringle, so I guess that's not how it works. The owners manual seems to show a line going through a block on the mast, then through another block at the Cunningham cringle on the luff, then down to the boom and aft to the end of the boom with a stopper knot at the end of the boom which makes no sense to me. Also, the location of the block on the mast is also where the block for the reefing is.

Surely there's a better way. Any suggestions?

Just had a look at the manual https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/39644114/j-95-owner-manual-j-owners

Bin the stopper knot and terminate the line around the boom at the gooseneck end .

Bin the block at the cunningham grommet and just run the line directly through the eye .

Utilise the rest of the rigging as shown , turning block at mast base back to pit clutch .

1 hour ago, Mid said:

Just had a look at the manual https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/39644114/j-95-owner-manual-j-owners

Bin the stopper knot and terminate the line around the boom at the gooseneck end .

Bin the block at the cunningham grommet and just run the line directly through the eye .

Utilise the rest of the rigging as shown , turning block at mast base back to pit clutch .

Thanks for the info. Instead of terminating the line around the boom, do you think it would be satisfactory to terminate it on the mast? There’s a conveniently located termination point there. 

depends how much load you intend to put on it ........

me , I'd just tie a bowline round the boom .