Where is Comanche these days?  She didn't race in the Fastnet race, so what is the current owner doing with her?

On 8/14/2021 at 6:38 AM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

It's entered for the Maxi Rolex Cup.

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

And the Middle Sea Race I believe. As is Skorpios.

It will be interesting to see how many  of the old crew are still sailing on her in the up coming 12 months.

Pulpit

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

It will be interesting to see how many  of the old crew are still sailing on her in the up coming 12 months.

Pulpit

A number of the Commanche crew are now on Skorpios, notably Tony Mutter.

10 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

A number of the Commanche crew are now on Skorpios, notably Tony Mutter.

Tony and Brad Jackson only
I'd guess very few of the old crew will be on the big C .... but surely they at least need someone like JH who know the boats systems

1 hour ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Tony and Brad Jackson only
I'd guess very few of the old crew will be on the big C .... but surely they at least need someone like JH who know the boats systems

Who knows what is the mindset of the owner.? The crew has had people like Ken Read and Stan Honey and a gang of very good ocean racers onboard during it's success. When they face off against Skorpios that will tell us a lot. 

14 minutes ago, Y88 said:

Wasn't there some rumor that Comanche was going to do S2H this year?

Not that I've had heard..... but i'm happy to start a rumor  that the S to H... is cancelled this year.... I can't see vaccination rates will be high enough and sure as shit too many people won't stay the fuck at home so we just sit here and wait for our economy to collapse.....

• Like 3
18 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Not that I've had heard..... but i'm happy to start a rumor  that the S to H... is cancelled this year.... I can't see vaccination rates will be high enough and sure as shit too many people won't stay the fuck at home so we just sit here and wait for our economy to collapse.....

maybe start organizing the "Perth to Hobart Race" more likely to go ahead.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Y88 said:

Wasn't there some rumor that Comanche was going to do S2H this year?

What Hobart? There wasn't one last year nor will there be one this year.! Comanche however is racing against Skorpios in the Rolex Middle Sea Race. Rambler 88 is also racing. 

https://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com/news/6109308d508c2d00001a0ac6?year=2021&month=August

https://www.rolexmiddlesearace.com/entrants/?year=2021&race=5ff4998b42707c00008e7786&category=

12 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

maybe start organizing the "Perth to Hobart Race" more likely to go ahead.

Round the rock and back again. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, danstanford said:

What is the big structure between the winches in the middle of the cockpit? 

Rope bags

• Like 1

I think it might be tough for Comanche and Rambler competing against the Botin 85 Deep Blue on something resembling a windward leeward course 

26 minutes ago, JL92S said:

I think it might be tough for Comanche and Rambler competing against the Botin 85 Deep Blue on something resembling a windward leeward course 

NOR says they'll mainly be running coastals with maybe 1 w/l for the Mini-maxi class

Can't wait to see Deep Blue light up in a regatta - the level of finish and detailing in that boat is stunning and by all accounts from those who have sailed it, it's a beast. In light and medium breeze I don't think the 2 'big boats' will get near it on ratings, even on coastals. Maybe in a big breeze they can stretch out as they'll be better equipped to keep the gas on if it gets rough.

Overall a pretty good line-up but a pretty poor showing for the Wally's has ended up with some weird fleet splits. https://www.yccs.it/resarea/files/regate/noticeboard/Notice_to_Competitors_N1y.pdf 

Maxi 1 and Mini-Maxi 1 should be good fun.

35 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Seriously, who gives a fuck.

How many people on the planet give a rat's arse?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, random. said:

Clearly you do because you replied to my post

6 hours ago, NZK said:

NOR says they'll mainly be running coastals with maybe 1 w/l for the Mini-maxi class

Can't wait to see Deep Blue light up in a regatta - the level of finish and detailing in that boat is stunning and by all accounts from those who have sailed it, it's a beast. In light and medium breeze I don't think the 2 'big boats' will get near it on ratings, even on coastals. Maybe in a big breeze they can stretch out as they'll be better equipped to keep the gas on if it gets rough.

Overall a pretty good line-up but a pretty poor showing for the Wally's has ended up with some weird fleet splits. https://www.yccs.it/resarea/files/regate/noticeboard/Notice_to_Competitors_N1y.pdf 

Maxi 1 and Mini-Maxi 1 should be good fun.

I don’t think they’ll touch them on handicap. Considering that the new Bella Mente was bettering the vmg of Rambler (perhaps before the new 7.something metre keel) an 85ft version is likely to be rapid. The only thing that might hold them back is less time in the boat than the rambler or Comanche crew

On 9/3/2021 at 2:45 AM, JL92S said:
On 9/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, random. said:

Clearly you do because you replied to my post

He can't help himself.! Angry Ant.! :P

13 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

Why the fuck are you here?

Because I like super boats.  However, after a lifetime of sailing, what is going on in the planet and the oceans, the excesses that Commanche represents is looking wrong.

I struggle between being still fascinated by the equipment to be repelled and the investment when so many people are dying that the events the boats are supposed to compete in are not even happening. 

I correct my statement and say that "I" no longer give a fuck about these boats.  In fact they induce a slight cringe in me, no doubt others. 

I see why Ellen MacArther did what she did now.

I agree with ^^ They are just the biggest toys in the sandpit. Environmentally, composite boatbuilding of any sort is absolutely shocking no matter how its dressed up, the only saving grace is that boats tend to last a long time but racing boats meh, their time at the top is 5 minutes. When was this particular boat winning 10 years ago? I love the sport and the big boats are awesome but they are built by and need billionaires with small man syndrome and if they dont perform its just another landfill 

So in short who gives a fuck about Comanche, not my boat, never going to sail on it and if it got put in the shredder tomorrow no one would notice.

2 hours ago, Caecilian said:

So in short who gives a fuck about Comanche, not my boat, never going to sail on it and if it got put in the shredder tomorrow no one would notice.

Yes you could park 6 Cape 31's in its marina.:rolleyes:

I happen to love the maxi’s. They’re gorgeous boats that employ a lot of people. Those people can then afford to do their part to help the planet. The posters like Random who happily drive known monsters are the evil bastards doing the real damage. 

5 hours ago, Monkey said:

I happen to love the maxi’s. They’re gorgeous boats that employ a lot of people. Those people can then afford to do their part to help the planet.

Bullshit.  Just bullshit.

I go sailing for the sheer pleasure of it, racing or cruising. 

Employ people?  Fuck the Pro's.  How many of them are there anyway. 

If every supplier and professional sailor was beamed-up by the aliens tomorrow, we would all start building boats out of plywood in the backyard and probably have a lot more fun.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:35 AM, random. said:

If every supplier and professional sailor was beamed-up by the aliens tomorrow, we would all start building boats out of plywood in the backyard and probably have a lot more fun.

Sorry peanut, but boats like Comanche help the industry far beyond the few pros who sail the boat. Do you honestly think they just run down to the local chandlery when they need a piece of kit?  A lot of people make a good living designing and building parts for boats like that. A few of them are friends of mine. Enjoy your plywood boat. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Monkey said:

Sorry peanut, but boats like Comanche help the industry far beyond the few pros who sail the boat. Do you honestly think they just run down to the local chandlery when they need a piece of kit?  A lot of people make a good living designing and building parts for boats like that. A few of them are friends of mine. Enjoy your plywood boat. 

Finally some honesty. 

Some people love sailing.

Other people are in it for the money.

3 hours ago, random. said:

Finally some honesty. 

That post is almost as dumb as most of your conspiracy theory bullshit. 

On 9/3/2021 at 4:37 PM, Caecilian said:

I agree with ^^ They are just the biggest toys in the sandpit. Environmentally, composite boatbuilding of any sort is absolutely shocking no matter how its dressed up, the only saving grace is that boats tend to last a long time but racing boats meh, their time at the top is 5 minutes. When was this particular boat winning 10 years ago? I love the sport and the big boats are awesome but they are built by and need billionaires with small man syndrome and if they dont perform its just another landfill 

They're not even fast for the $.  Pointless.

7 hours ago, Monkey said:
10 hours ago, random. said:

Finally some honesty. 

That post is almost as dumb as most of your conspiracy theory bullshit. 

But it's right though.

Start earning money from what you enjoy and it becomes a job.

Fuck that.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:30 AM, Monkey said:

I happen to love the maxi’s. They’re gorgeous boats that employ a lot of people. Those people can then afford to do their part to help the planet. The posters like Random who happily drive known monsters are the evil bastards doing the real damage. 

I don't think this is the right place to have this discussion and it will probably not lead to anything anyway. But this argument is absolute nonsense. It's like saying we need more cars and coal power plants so people can earn money and use it to save the planet. The planet would no doubt be better off without the sailing industry, because it is just excess consumption and use of resources.

If you're passionate about sailing and willing to accept the damage it does to the environment (most of us here are, either consciously or ignorant), fine, but don't trick yourself (and others) into the green sport bs.

I believe it would be interesting to discuss if we should have a size limitation for new race boats? 40' should be able to do the same things as 125', right?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Caecilian said:

Why didn't they call it "White Man"?

The name is clearly a compliment to the people it references! Much like the name Tiger which implies all the ferocious traits of the animal and is much more attractive than Sheep for example. 

48 minutes ago, danstanford said:

The name is clearly a compliment to the people it references! Much like the name Tiger which implies all the ferocious traits of the animal and is much more attractive than Sheep for example. 

Please tell us that you're joking.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nogetwe said:

I don't think this is the right place to have this discussion and it will probably not lead to anything anyway. But this argument is absolute nonsense. It's like saying we need more cars and coal power plants so people can earn money and use it to save the planet. The planet would no doubt be better off without the sailing industry, because it is just excess consumption and use of resources.

If you're passionate about sailing and willing to accept the damage it does to the environment (most of us here are, either consciously or ignorant), fine, but don't trick yourself (and others) into the green sport bs.

I believe it would be interesting to discuss if we should have a size limitation for new race boats? 40' should be able to do the same things as 125', right?

The issue with dedicated race boats of any size is that they are not pleasure craft for the average Schmo that hangs around sailing forums. We as in the royal we, may race at levels ranging from weekend hacker to semi-pro to maybe retired old fart pro reliving the glory days. Boats like Comanche require sailors who are  skilled professionals otherwise they are dangerous. The average SA hacker could not sail it. Same with TP's and even proper racing 40 footers, you need professionals or things break, people get hurt or they just don't go.

The "fun" is the owner beating other owners. There is no skill in that just a big chequebook. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:35 AM, random. said:

If no one ever pushed the boundaries of building a boat you’d still be sailing a hollowed out log…

• Like 1
11 hours ago, M26 said:

I'm in for the money!!!!

Good on you.  Go hard.  A job's a job.

Just don't pretend to be an enthusiast when it's just about money.  Everyone will be happy then.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, Monkey said:

If these guys with the big bucks were misers, that would suck. They spend, jobs are created, money changes hands, job multipliers come in to play, and some really bitchin boats - going back to America - we get to slobber over.

25 minutes ago, Latadjust said:

If these guys with the big bucks were misers, that would suck. They spend, jobs are created, money changes hands, job multipliers come in to play, and some really bitchin boats - going back to America - we get to slobber over.

And we can’t forget, it’s the maxis, AC boats, Ultimes, etc. that pay for the R&D that filters the tech down to us peasants. I won’t lie, it’s fun sailing on a boat with unbranded gear that makes everyone at the dock ask what it is. 

Wait, what?  The old Wild Thing beat Comanche across the line?  According to elapsed time, yes - according to finish time, no.  What's up with that?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, random. said:

Good on you.  Go hard.  A job's a job.

Just don't pretend to be an enthusiast when it's just about money.  Everyone will be happy then.

So by your rule a formula 1 engineer who’s paid really well can’t be a car enthusiast? Or a pro cyclist can’t be a bike enthusiast?

I work in the boat industry and I get paid for it. Pretty sure I’m an enthusiast

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, JL92S said:

So by your rule a formula 1 engineer who’s paid really well can’t be a car enthusiast? Or a pro cyclist can’t be a bike enthusiast?

I work in the boat industry and I get paid for it. Pretty sure I’m an enthusiast

Good for you bro.

It's when you can never quite tell if the enthusiasm is just sales spin that's fucking annoying.

Go to work or go sailing. 

48 minutes ago, random. said:

Good for you bro.

It's when you can never quite tell if the enthusiasm is just sales spin that's fucking annoying.

Go to work or go sailing. 

Sailing is my Job... your theory is a POS

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Uber Nangs said:

Sailing is my Job... your theory is a POS

That's not a theory.  You don't get it.

If you sail for a job go to work. 

If you sail for fun don't try to separate people from their money while you are doing it.  They can pick it and know you aren't really their friend.

23 hours ago, r.finn said:

Please tell us that you're joking.

If that is not the reason they chose the name, can you propose another? Do you think they were trying to appropriate someone's culture to make a point or something? 

Hey Random,

what do you do fir a living?

do you enjoy it?

I work in the yacht racing industry and have done for over 30 years now. Still love it and wouldn’t have changed my career choice for the World. Although I never realised it was a career choice until I was about 10 years in.

still love the sport as I did back when I started. Never realised that you could make a career out of it back then. Just did it because I loved it. 

I’m sure that sucking cock started for you as a hobby, and suspect that after 30 years the money has left a bitter taste in your mouth. Sailing as a career might have been a better choice for you.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Hey Random,

do you enjoy it?

I work in the yacht racing industry and have done for over 30 years now. Still love it and wouldn’t have changed my career choice for the World. Although I never realised it was a career choice until I was about 10 years in.

still love the sport as I did back when I started. Never realised that you could make a career out of it back then. Just did it because I loved it. 

I’m sure that sucking cock started for you as a hobby, and suspect that after 30 years the money has left a bitter taste in your mouth. Sailing as a career might have been a better choice for you.

its not the money that left the bitter taste.....

4 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Hey Random,

do you enjoy it?

You have misunderstood everything I have posted.  Nothing wrong with working in the industry, my entire point was where one is deliberately mixed with the other, for money.

Like selling Tupperware or Amway to friends and family.

I can learn from your experience in sucking cock though, did yours start as a hobby?

5 hours ago, random. said:

You have misunderstood everything I have posted.  Nothing wrong with working in the industry, my entire point was where one is deliberately mixed with the other, for money.

Like selling Tupperware or Amway to friends and family.

I can learn from your experience in sucking cock though, did yours start as a hobby?

You missed my point. No one gets into the yacht racing world for the money. It is only ever a slim hope of making a living within your passion.

anyone who gets into it expecting to become wealthy from it is generally too dumb to succeed.

So what is it that you do for a living, if not my expected career, and did you get into that for love or money? Just interested where your bitterness to those that made their passion their career comes from.

8 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

So what is it that you do for a living, if not my expected career, and did you get into that for love or money? Just interested where your bitterness to those that made their passion their career comes from.

I gave up work ages ago, over it.  But I had three careers in three different fields and went into each one because I was interested and wanted to do it.  Worked out fine.

Many moons ago someone told me that "Your industry/company/business will need you to most when you no longer need it."  And that's what happened.  Walked away three times as happily as I went in.

It's just your perception of bitterness, I have none on this subject.  I offer opinion from observation, it's just that you don't like it.  If you really were completely immersed in your passion you would not have arc'd up.

Random,

I only arch’s up well after your repeated incorrect opinions  about those in the industry and their motivations. Which could not be further from the truth. Take it from someone who knows the industry well. No one here in Porto Cervo is here just for the money. If you don’t love the sport at this level, you don’t last 5 minutes, as no one else likes to sail with you 

1 hour ago, Chimp too said:

anyone who gets into it expecting to become wealthy

As the old sailing goes, how do you become a sailing millionaire? Start as a billionaire!

Fucking hell the Sexual tension in this thread is unbearable. I’ll just take this:image.jpeg.d14c87090537b04162bddc5a05eb4260.jpeg

and exit to my own quiet place and tear the head off it too this image. Too whoever posted it: Thanks for saving me a visit to Xhamster porn today! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

I think this was tipped with the course and conditions etc. 

exactly she's no a one trick pony but close to 

pretty spectacular trick when it all works though .

10 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Comanche not getting her way in the Maxi Rolex Cup atm. Rambler and some Wally's beating her over the line in 2 out of 3 races. The 3rd race she got line honors. I think this was tipped with the course and conditions etc. 

https://www.yccsfiles.com/results/myrc21/m123_3.html

Terra, Big Red won on this line but was smashed on handicap.  Maybe she need the Aussie sailing crew back onboard?

Note she only loses ever to Magic Carpet3 .. they must be holding the secret sauce

The guys on Comanche are clearly learning about the boat. Mix of old and new crew with the boat captain helming, as owner has no experience and they get a 1% penalty added for this as well. The boat definitely isn’t sailing to her potential. But then again, not optimised for this type of racing in these conditions.

Seemed like a good regatta to check in without any pressure on performing.

A great place to sail, a known top performer to race against, lots of corners, and no doubt a good shoreside event for owner and crew.

I bet it would be far more fun than crew training on your own and they will be better prepared for Middle Sea.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:02 AM, Tropical Madness said:

Terra, Big Red won on this line but was smashed on handicap.  Maybe she need the Aussie sailing crew back onboard?

Note she only loses ever to Magic Carpet3 .. they must be holding the secret sauce

Yeah prior to Race 3 they lost to Rambler and some others including Wharro's old boat AGR. In race 3 they smashed AGR and got line honors. Yeah clearly not a lot of sailing and learning the boat although Mitch Booth knows the boat well. Can't wait to her line up against Skorpios in the Rolex Middle Sea Race

Many here are suggesting the big C is built for record breaking only and so not expected to do well at this regatta ... I disagree. The boat is set up quite different now to when Kristy owned it... Jim Cooney changed it's narrow performance window and gave it much better light wind performance... 8-12 knots.... The boat still should have won all races on line so I can only think they lacked some experience / time on board.  

2 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Many here are suggesting the big C is built for record breaking only and so not expected to do well at this regatta ... I disagree. The boat is set up quite different now to when Kristy owned it... Jim Cooney changed it's narrow performance window and gave it much better light wind performance... 8-12 knots.... The boat still should have won all races on line so I can only think they lacked some experience / time on board.  

Yes, the crew are clearly learning the boat. But also, for three of the four days the racing was under 8 knots.

My $.02  Nobody gets into professional sailing to get rich.  We all started doing it because we thought we could make enough to survive while doing something we love. I can almost guarantee you will find professional sailors messing about on boats even when they are not getting paid.  I think that is an enthusiast.