Jump to content

Responsible Gun Owner of the Day


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Just be an actual man, and throw it away  . .  

I just knew something like this was coming. That's book fodder there AJ.  Why not a modern text about becoming an actual man written by a real actual man like yerself instead of all these effete metrosexuals?

Some folks may want to see your personal bona fides for your own actual actual manhood, so ya might want to consider that aspect longer than you did before posting this ridiculous post.

But hey! We love your thinking brotherman.

I'll help:

  • Chapter One is where you make your case against guns.
  • Chapter Two outlines the issue of human anger and so on, so that you now see the other stuff that hurts people like knives, rocks and dirt clods, aluminum baseball bats, 2x4" leftovers that you hope to find a use for, poisons of all kinds, bricks, small pieces of furniture, automobiles, matches and charcoal lighters, and inflammables of every sort would also have to be outlawed. I suspect people have been strangled with clothing and bedding and whatnot so all that has to go too.
  • Chapter Three opens with a naked couple arguing about anything at all ... and the 200# guy walks over and slaps the snot out of the 120# woman... and scene.
  • Chapter Four begins a long discussion about actual human behavior. Languages and color and geography, we find, don't really matter. Behavior is the thing.
  • Chapter Five is a very frank realization that it isn't the guns or knives or baseball bats that hurt people. It's people. 
  • Chapter Six, is a one page meme: image.png.88c5a72e02e8cbf527798229e31a6d81.png
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It resides only in a galaxy far far away, AFAIK. Seriously, though...he's kinda right. Whether or not it's SOP on sets for the actor to do the final check,  nearly all accounts it isn't (the indu

I used to be a gun guy...and this bullshit is probably part of why I'm not now. Training is fine.  Practice is fine. This is simulating what is seen in movies/video games not for accurate ta

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

image.png.88c5a72e02e8cbf527798229e31a6d81.png

The premise of your thesis is challenged, in a few ways, by peer-reviewed work. By being poorly informed, while spouting off, you are spreading mis-information. How does that feel, brotherman?

  • The danger to a woman is not decreased with her gun, or any gun, around.
  • Some people are stressed, and some are imbalanced. Their access to weapons has left a measurable problem, with firearms.
  • "People" think differently with a weapon around, whether they have possession of the firearm, or lack the possession of it. Please look into "the weapons effect."
  • To compare guns with bricks and "small pieces of furniture" would be false equivalence, and is beneath you, IMO. 
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

I just knew something

Oh yeah, a cowardly troll expounds on masculinity . . 

you wouldn't know it from your kiester. 

(I did not read your stupid lame post more than a five second skim job, I seriously doubt that anyone read it. If they did, they can indicate it . .  ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

Whodathunk a prohibition program would be somewhere between useless and harmful?

Hi, Dogballs. If you are saying that all prohibition is bunk, categorically, I need to remind you that you were once awarded a National Merit Scholarship. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I don't really want to think about Jeff's play dates with guns. I'm sure there is a lot of Kleenex and crying involved.

don't forget all the fondling, and the caressing, and the smooching, if any, NTTAWWT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jocal505 said:
  • The danger to a woman is not decreased with her gun, or any gun, around.
  • Some people are stressed, and some are imbalanced. Their access to weapons has left a measurable problem, with firearms.
  • "People" think differently with a weapon around, whether they have possession of the firearm, or lack the possession of it. Please look into "the weapons effect."
  • To compare guns with bricks and "small pieces of furniture" would be false equivalence, and is beneath you, IMO. 

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

People kill people.

Sure guns make it easier.

Duh.

Maybe you and Sucking-VA-Medical-Dry AJ Olliver are missing a chromosome or something. Or maybe you guys have an extra chromosome cus you're actual men. 

Not that I'm asking so forget any telling. It's no one's business.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

did not read your stupid lame post more than a five second skim job, I seriously doubt

We got it the first time. You don't read neg posts. Still, that was a good one, where I create your next dream job: Writing a book about what it takes to be an actual man. Right from your comfy armchair. 

Commodore? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
  • The danger to a woman is not decreased with her gun, or any gun, around.
  • Some people are stressed, and some are imbalanced. Their access to weapons has left a measurable problem, with firearms.
  • "People" think differently with a weapon around, whether they have possession of the firearm, or lack the possession of it. Please look into "the weapons effect."
  • To compare guns with bricks and "small pieces of furniture" would be false equivalence, and is beneath you, IMO. 

Expand  

And Joe. Everyone knows this stuff ... even me! This isn't new like Covid. Man, you and Ollie are in luck: Salvation Army is mostly volunteers but they do, in fact, pay minimum wage for bell ringers in the Holidays. I checked for you. There's a Sal's A person watching the kettle, donchano, but while you guys are ringing the bells, you could add some subliminal messages like "guns are the devil's penis." 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

And Joe. Everyone knows this stuff ... even me!

Is this what you know?

7 hours ago, jocal505 said:

To compare guns with bricks and "small pieces of furniture" would be false equivalence, and is beneath you, IMO. 

@Blue Crab, go ahead. Tell us what you know, display your knowledge of this stuff. What is the "weapons effect," and what is your take on it? Thanks in advance.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Americans with guns kill other random Americans.

Sure guns make it easier.

Duh.

Maybe you and Sucking-VA-Medical-Dry AJ Olliver are missing a chromosome or something. Or maybe you guys have an extra chromosome cus you're actual men. 

Not that I'm asking so forget any telling. It's no one's business.

 

 

 

FIFY

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Is this what you know?

@Blue Crab, go ahead. Tell us what you know, display your knowledge of this stuff. What is the "weapons effect," and what is your take on it? Thanks in advance.

Joe, your arguments and challenges are old tired techniques that only work on dullards and peacocks.

Guns make it easier to hurt people. I've conceded that to you for the last nine years. You are a Jehovah's Witness for gun removal in the face of a wall of double-locked doors with porch lights out consisting of at least 100M decent American voters with 400M guns and counting. And another ~5,000 complete dickheads/crazies that hurt people with guns. If we could stop them we would. I would personally head the effort... light the fuse, pull the trigger ... Gimme something to work with please.

@Keith, except for the ice hockey thing, you are a reasonable guy. You simply cannot make my position on guns killing people any clearer: They enable killing people you know AND RANDOM PEOPLE you don't. Point to me.

@AJ Oliver still waiting on all that actual man stuff you want to spout. Tell us a lot more about the 100 Million American voters with guns who aren't actual men by whatever silly multigender-based definition you can show. And no peacenik palaver ... you're the 300 # "of liberal fighting fury" guy. Your words. I'd bet the My Pillow guy can kick your whiny old ass.

You'd do better on here by keeping that big mouth shut because after the bluster, you are a hollow shell. I know that sounds mean but it's advice that could transform your SA experience for the better.

...........................

Much like the chat with FKT the other day ... we all see the problems we have ... and at least 300M Americans would be happy to make things safer for all. What we need are viable solutions. 

Wishes and hopes are the prelude to Thoughts and Prayers. Unfortunately.

Workable solutions welcome. My observation is that there are some plans and hopes aimed at the 100M American voters who are NOT THE PROBLEM.

My observation is that no one beyond perhaps myself has any strategies or even suggestions on what to do with the 5,000 mostly illegal gun owners doing all the shooting. And we'll never stop the crazy people because we don't know who they are yet. And so far, even when authorities are warned by family and school personnel, the crazies still manage to hurt people.

Happy to discuss ideas that might work on the actual problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

what to do with the 5,000 mostly illegal gun owners doing all the shooting.

 And another ~5,000 complete dickheads/crazies that hurt people with guns.

???

Look, this is more wrong shit. In general, stranger danger is not the problem. In general, the studies show that common people are shooting each other, over interpersonal issues. And women are being offed by exes, not by thugs. 

Whether my message is popular or not isn't the point here, but what I see is that the American mindset needs to be re-set.  We have to re-think the very recent Larry  Pratt ideas of instant (and  lethal) personal retribution.

We might begin by tossing out the false history that was presented, within Heller.

@Blue Crab. Whether it's popular or not, and whether it's easy-peasy or not, 700 years of facts show that the duty to retreat is a better mindset.

 

Whatever. That's where we are now.  And let's watch the numbers: the recent surge of gun purchases will not end well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

It's not the American mindset.  Happy to discuss ideas that might work on the actual problem which is not responsible gun owners.

 

I've been waiting for "responsible gun owners" to speak up about what they  can/should do. So far, the answer "NO NO NO! Not a goddam thing, you libtard gungrabbers!"

Except for Jeff who will say something to the effect "Didn't you read my 16-page post 9 years ago about my exact and specific proposal for a legislative agenda to reduce gun violence in the USA etc etc."

In other words, "responsible" gun owners in the sense that they want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem, are vanishingly rare.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I've been waiting for "responsible gun owners" to speak up about what they  can/should do. So far, the answer "NO NO NO! Not a goddam thing, you libtard gungrabbers!"

Except for Jeff who will say something to the effect "Didn't you read my 16-page post 9 years ago about my exact and specific proposal for a legislative agenda to reduce gun violence in the USA etc etc."

In other words, "responsible" gun owners in the sense that they want to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem, are vanishingly rare.

- DSK

Balderdash! Gun owners have jumped thru each and every hoop created so far. People I know with guns have them locked.

Forget my 5000 person bad people estimate and call it a million. 100M responsible gun owners WITH 400M guns minding their own damn bidness, and 1M idiots. Do the math, Doug.

And, as I say, am happy to discuss the situation as it is and nothing else. You and Joe get together and come up with some actual possible legislation that solves all the country's problems with firearms ... I want to hear it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, AJ Oliver said:

Just be an actual man, and throw it away  . .  

I've read this multi times now.... I don't get it!

How's that work for the women that own and shoot guns?

 

I say you're not an actual man, don't tell the women though, if you don't own at least one gun, so there!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Balderdash! Gun owners have jumped thru each and every hoop created so far. People I know with guns have them locked.

Forget my 5000 person bad people estimate and call it a million. 100M responsible gun owners WITH 400M guns minding their own damn bidness, and 1M idiots. Do the math, Doug.

And, as I say, am happy to discuss the situation as it is and nothing else. You and Joe get together and come up with some actual possible legislation that solves all the country's problems with firearms ... I want to hear it. 

Fair point, except that most gun owners complain angrily and bitterly about all the jumping thru hoops, and I personally believe that most of them skip a few.

What we've seen here in gun discussions is a lot of dishonest posturing, quoting fake statistics, and other dishonesty, from the gun nuts; all of course justified by them because their sacred rights are under assault! Of course there is a fair degree of anti-gun-nuttery from PA'ers like Jocal

The situation as it is: The right to bear arms is already infringed. Despite this, it is entirely too easy for murderous nutballs to get guns.

- DSK

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I've read this multi times now.... I don't get it!

How's that work for the women that own and shoot guns?

 

I say you're not an actual man, don't tell the women though, if you don't own at least one gun, so there!

You may regret calling AJ the pussy he is but probably not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, Keith said:

Just snuggle up to the fact that you live in a very dangerous country, with a highly armed, low intellect population. You will need all the weapons you can get your hands on, and for some odd reason your happy with that.

Sad really.

It is sad.  And there definitely are some dangerous people afoot.  But guns didn't make them that way.  The root causes of some of our violence issues is topic for a whole 'nother thread.  

I've pointed this out numerous times but it's worth repeating..... prior to about the 1970 and 80s - guns were exceedingly EASIER to get in the US than they are now.  Sure we had the same usual violent crime in the inner cities, but what we didn't have was mass shootings and the type of gang crime that we have now.  The rules on guns were very lax and that didn't result in waves and waves of death.  I recall buying my first AR-15 in something like 1985 when I was a freshman in college.   I think the extent of my background check was to sign my name in a ledger and maybe a DL number.  I walked out with it in 5 mins. 

So the question that needs asking and answering is:  what was different then compared to now?  First of all, violent crime and murder were actually higher than they are now.  But there are very very few of the so-called mass murder w/assault rifles events that we are so hyped up about now.  In my mind, what is different is society and the presence/acceptance/and constant bombardment of violent imagery coupled with a massive decline in the nuclear family and the US becoming a much more nomadic disjointed society as we move around to chase $$......among many many other factors.  Add in the advent of Gore inventing the internet and the rise in "social" media, and we've become even less social and fractured than before.  What once might have been a rare shooting in CA that played on the nightly news for a cycle or two and then forgotten now is a 24/7 thing on cable news and the interwebs exploding and constantly talking about it nonstop.  Which IMHO, results in suicide ideation in all these disaffected folks, otherwise known as Losers, who would have otherwise quietly committed suicide in their garage by sucking on a exhaust pipe now wanting to take as many people with them as possible so they can make their mark on history.  

The final thing which again IMHO as well as the opinion of many many people far more versed in this topic is a gov't policy which driveS desperate people to do de$perate thing$.  What jumps out about you on this chart?  

image.png.4a6385870a4622b67ccf658a8ba54279.png

 

What are the two big causal factors of those two or three main spikes above?  

  1. The economy
  2. Prohibition

The economy plays a huge factor in crime (I know, duh) as desperate people are forced to do desperate things to stay alive.  The rise on the first spike, I believe, had a lot to do with rapid change in our economy with a lot of folks left behind and then prohibition from 1920-1933 ensured that there would be lots of dead bodies in the streets as huge profit motives far outweighed any risk from the legal system.  Note that the murder rate plummeted almost literally overnight after prohibition was repealed in 1933.  Did all those gunz suddenly disappear or get pulled out with @jocal505's magic magnet?  

Fast forward to the 1960s when there was increasing civil unrest in the 60s and then the war on drugs starting in the 70's and then the couple decades of the drug warriors in the 80s and 90s really fueled the fires.  Whereas the dips almost perfectly correspond to the bumps in the economy.  People who are employed and have food on their table for their kids generally are not out there doing drugs and murdering people.  Compare this next graph and overlay it on the Murder curves above.

image.thumb.png.de7790d8d8c35fe3296145d78fdd8b07.png

Just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Olsonist said:

 

This is becoming the best argument against gun control.   I spent some range time renting and familiarizing myself with several weapons in the weeks before the capital riot.   It was obvious armed militias were begging for civil war.    It wasn’t obvious (to me) how inept Trump and his Republican insurrection would be.   When one party favors militant displays of force to reinforce election games and the other disarms itself to avoid risk of violence, democracy will not long survive.    
 

The next Republican to try to overturn an election may not be a coward.   Until Republicans concede the election, declare themselves in favor of civil rights for all people and denounce anti democracy actions, they cannot be the only ones with guns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lark said:
13 hours ago, Olsonist said:

This is becoming the best argument against gun control.   I spent some range time renting and familiarizing myself with several weapons in the weeks before the capital riot.   It was obvious armed militias were begging for civil war.    It wasn’t obvious (to me) how inept Trump and his Republican insurrection would be.   When one party favors militant displays of force to reinforce election games and the other disarms itself to avoid risk of violence, democracy will not long survive.    
 

The next Republican to try to overturn an election may not be a coward.   Until Republicans concede the election, declare themselves in favor of civil rights for all people and denounce anti democracy actions, they cannot be the only ones with guns.

That guy there with the AK-47 looks a bit too dark skinned melanin enhanced to be your typical Republican insurrectionist.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lark said:

This is becoming the best argument against gun control.   I spent some range time renting and familiarizing myself with several weapons in the weeks before the capital riot.   It was obvious armed militias were begging for civil war.    It wasn’t obvious (to me) how inept Trump and his Republican insurrection would be.   When one party favors militant displays of force to reinforce election games and the other disarms itself to avoid risk of violence, democracy will not long survive.    
 

The next Republican to try to overturn an election may not be a coward.   Until Republicans concede the election, declare themselves in favor of civil rights for all people and denounce anti democracy actions, they cannot be the only ones with guns.

Oh, believe me, they are not.

OTOH they are making themselves easy targets, so I don't want to make any internet tough talk. Let them think we're pussies.

- DSK

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

That guy there with the AK-47 looks a bit too dark skinned melanin enhanced to be your typical Republican insurrectionist.  

I noticed that,   Also too fit.   There is no uniform system of beliefs, training or weapons, just a United belief Biden should not be President.   That would seem to be a weakness, but we still lost in Afghanistan.    They lack central regulation, as specified in the Constitution.

 When some local militia members were interviewed by my small town paper they mentioned a cell organization system, like the French underground.    The infiltration of small town police and red state guard units is also a concern.    They are easy to laugh at from a smart device, but we ignore them at our peril.  
 

They have dozens of weapons each, with many types of ammo.   They rely on social media for communication.    That’s a big operational weakness if they are harnessed by a Trump replacement.         They truly believe they are defending the country by overturning Democracy, but don’t all agree what the replacement country should look like.    That’s often the case with civil war.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lark said:

This is becoming the best argument against gun control.   I spent some range time renting and familiarizing myself with several weapons in the weeks before the capital riot.   It was obvious armed militias were begging for civil war.    It wasn’t obvious (to me) how inept Trump and his Republican insurrection would be.   When one party favors militant displays of force to reinforce election games and the other disarms itself to avoid risk of violence, democracy will not long survive.    
 

The next Republican to try to overturn an election may not be a coward.   Until Republicans concede the election, declare themselves in favor of civil rights for all people and denounce anti democracy actions, they cannot be the only ones with guns.

Yes, there were a few now departed elk here claiming the superiority of superior firepower. Well, I disagree that the answer to Meal Team 6 types is more guns. I think the answer is pointing out stupid they look.

I do think it is necessary to fight back but at the polls as we did in 2020 and as we did in CA recall which is on track to having a greater turnout than the 2018 general election.

If we as a society are at a point where gun nuts matter, we're already done for. Education matters. Infrastructure matters. Employment matters. Gunliness doesn't matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lark said:

I noticed that,   Also too fit.   There is no uniform system of beliefs, training or weapons, just a United belief Biden should not be President.   That would seem to be a weakness, but we still lost in Afghanistan.    They lack central regulation, as specified in the Constitution.

 When some local militia members were interviewed by my small town paper they mentioned a cell organization system, like the French underground.    The infiltration of small town police and red state guard units is also a concern.    They are easy to laugh at from a smart device, but we ignore them at our peril.  
 

They have dozens of weapons each, with many types of ammo.   They rely on social media for communication.    That’s a big operational weakness if they are harnessed by a Trump replacement.         They truly believe they are defending the country by overturning Democracy, but don’t all agree what the replacement country should look like.    That’s often the case with civil war.   

That's why they cannot possibly fix it, they can only destroy it. And as soon as they've been used to install a dictator, he will happily and completely destroy them in order to make sure the game stops.

Read up on the IRA Provos if you want to see what a politicized militia is really like.

 

3 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Yes, there were a few now departed elk here claiming the superiority of superior firepower. Well, I disagree that the answer to Meal Team 6 types is more guns. I think the answer is pointing out stupid they look.

I do think it is necessary to fight back but at the polls as we did in 2020 and as we did in CA recall which is on track to having a greater turnout than the 2018 general election.

If we as a society are at a point where gun nuts matter, we're already done for. Education matters. Infrastructure matters. Employment matters. Gunliness doesn't matter.

"Gunliness"  :lol:

I dunno if ruthlessness and the willingness to kill those who disagree doesn't matter. Fortunately we're not quite there yet. FWIW I have some advice, if power grows from the barrel of a gun, freedom grows from the barrel of a 77mm mortar.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Yes, there were a few now departed elk here claiming the superiority of superior firepower. Well, I disagree that the answer to Meal Team 6 types is more guns. I think the answer is pointing out stupid they look.

I do think it is necessary to fight back but at the polls as we did in 2020 and as we did in CA recall which is on track to having a greater turnout than the 2018 general election.

If we as a society are at a point where gun nuts matter, we're already done for. Education matters. Infrastructure matters. Employment matters. Gunliness doesn't matter.

I hope you are right.    The ‘redemption’ of the south after the civil war shows a small well armed force with connections to the sheriffs and support of political leadership of one party can overturn democracy and suppress what was often a majority population.   Mississippi is an example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Fair point, except that most gun owners complain angrily and bitterly about all the jumping thru hoops, and I personally believe that most of them skip a few.

What we've seen here in gun discussions is a lot of dishonest posturing, quoting fake statistics, and other dishonesty, from the gun nuts; all of course justified by them because their sacred rights are under assault! Of course there is a fair degree of anti-gun-nuttery from PA'ers like Jocal

The situation as it is: The right to bear arms is already infringed. Despite this, it is entirely too easy for murderous nutballs to get guns.

- DSK

 

Yep and yep. The west wasn't won with a registered gun. But old mean mossbacks like me are not the problem that you crusaders are after.

The real problem is the fantasy of the disappearance of guns. Guns are part of the fabric of this country. Sure, things have changed. Change the laws. I'll help but whining on a sailing forum is not what I'd call pragmatic. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lark said:

I hope you are right.    The ‘redemption’ of the south after the civil war shows a small well armed force with connections to the sheriffs and support of political leadership of one party can overturn democracy and suppress what was often a majority population.   Mississippi is an example.

Tocqueville talks about entering the South as like entering a prison camp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Sure we had the same usual violent crime in the inner cities, but what we didn't have was mass shootings and the type of gang crime that we have now. 

This is not true at all. Homicide was much higher in the 70's and 80's than it is now. 

Your stats conveniently leave out murder rates after 2000 . .  looks like bad faith to me. 

It is hard to solve problems when some folks distort the basic facts . . 

US crime: Is America seeing a surge in violence? - BBC News

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep and yep. The west wasn't won with a registered gun. But old mean mossbacks like me are not the problem that you crusaders are after.

The real problem is the fantasy of the disappearance of guns. Guns are part of the fabric of this country. Sure, things have changed. Change the laws. I'll help but whining on a sailing forum is not what I'd call pragmatic.

Oh, so now -I- am a crusader against gun rights?

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJ Oliver said:

This is not true at all. Homicide was much higher in the 70's and 80's than it is now. 

Your stats conveniently leave out murder rates after 2000 . .  looks like bad faith to me. 

It is hard to solve problems when some folks distort the basic facts . . 

US crime: Is America seeing a surge in violence? - BBC News

RIF.  Try again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lark said:

 The ‘redemption’ of the south after the civil war shows a small well armed force with connections to the sheriffs and support of political leadership of one party

Don't forget the Ol' Time Repugs who bailed on protecting dark skinned Murrikans 

And that is on the Northern states 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, an under educated violent population with far too easy access to firearms, is killing Americans and America.  

If you don't or cant see that, your part of the problem.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks jocal re "the weapons effect" it puts a name to the very weird feeling I had trying to carry for a very short period of time when riding METRO late at night with a Browning .32 tucked into the inside pocket of the leather jacket I was wearing.

You guys probably won't want to here this but I got that jacket from my brother, it had a few drops of his blood on it since he was wearing it when he put a round from that very .32 thru the roof of his mouth. I will concede that some of the weird feeling I was getting might have been from this.

Nevertheless that feeling probably led to my divesting myself of every firearm I owned, I still believe my mom gifted me with the .32 with the belief that I would take a beater* to the hateful thing (sold it too some old geezer for about eighty bucks if memory serves).

On the question of worst case scenario/civil war, there is a part of me that wants to go all "Daryl Dixon" & invest in a crossbow, actually this is more in the fantasy realm, for some reason I always picture myself in a post collapse world going out on my wild dog hunts armed as such. (Shameless cat person me, stray kitties get the leftovers!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Ironworkers in these parts refer to any big fucking hammer as a "beater".

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Keith said:

far too easy access to firearms

I'm a, what I guess here would be considered, a 'gun nut' but I do agree with common sense background checks.

We do it here in OR and it's painless.

I can even live with a waiting period, cause I already got the back up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Liquid said:

I'm a, what I guess here would be considered, a 'gun nut' but I do agree with common sense background checks.

We do it here in OR and it's painless.

I can even live with a waiting period, cause I already got the back up!

Sensible.  

Michigan does a background check with certain disqualifiers for a carry license, DV, DUI, etc.   Felonies an obvious no-no.  In TX, just show up with a credit card.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2021 at 12:20 PM, Steam Flyer said:

it is entirely too easy for murderous nutballs to get guns.

 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:12 PM, Steam Flyer said:

Oh, so now -I- am a crusader against gun rights?

- DSK

Maybe. What do you want to do to make it harder to exercise our right to get a gun? And how will it help?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more interested in what does new legislation have to offer against " ... an under educated violent population ..."

Most honest folks jump through meaningless hoops ... but there are no background checks on corner sales.

And here's the hard part to grasp: illegal gun sales are not going away. Take D9 Cats to the Colt and Ruger factories and Norinco will step up production.

Warts are not pretty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, Keith said:

Just snuggle up to the fact that you live in a very dangerous country, with a highly armed, low intellect population. You will need all the weapons you can get your hands on, and for some odd reason your happy with that.

Sad really.

Watch TV Much??  Geez..  Yea, we are all cowboys that have the moral upbringing of a knat that just want to shoot each other..  Painting with an awful broad brush there my friend.  Dangerous is fucking Afghanistan. This shit is a walk in the park...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Watch TV Much??  Geez..  Yea, we are all cowboys that have the moral upbringing of a knat that just want to shoot each other..  Painting with an awful broad brush there my friend.  Dangerous is fucking Afghanistan. This shit is a walk in the park...  

Painting with a spray gun when we need folks who can cut a line. Only makes sense if helping to solve the issue. Otherwise, it must give some temporary pleasure to look down yer nose. Schadenfreude - it's called Keith. Please describe the benefit of your daily comment re how awful America is and how your comments are helpful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teen confronts man holding 8 hostage in store and dies in shootout, Texas police say

A teen was killed in a shootout with a man accused of holding a group hostage inside a Texas store, police said. 

The man was armed with two guns Monday night when he jumped on the counter of a Houston convenience store and demanded everyone stop moving, KPRC reported. The store had five customers and three employees inside, the news outlet reported. 

The man told them to lock the doors and get on the floor, KTRK reported. 

Then a 17-year-old armed with a gun entered the store, according to the news outlet, and demanded the hostages be released. 

“It appears there was an exchange of gunfire between the two that resulted in the victim being struck and later pronounced (dead),” Houston police Lt. Christopher Bruce told KTRK. 

Read more:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article254585602.html

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens. While the hostages are obviously relieved that they weren't harmed, the final result is a dead hero.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 8:52 AM, Blue Crab said:

Painting with a spray gun when we need folks who can cut a line. Only makes sense if helping to solve the issue. Otherwise, it must give some temporary pleasure to look down yer nose. Schadenfreude - it's called Keith. Please describe the benefit of your daily comment re how awful America is and how your comments are helpful. 

Not awful,

Just a highly armed, violent, under educated population, with far too easy access to firearms.

Sorry its just your culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens. While the hostages are obviously relieved that they weren't harmed, the final result is a dead hero.

More the case of a dead idiot that succumbed to Darwin!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Call of Duty dude was an idiot and didn’t exactly get a high score in this particular game. The crazy dude was crazy but then surrendered to the cops when they showed up and asked politely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Teen confronts man holding 8 hostage in store and dies in shootout, Texas police say

A teen was killed in a shootout with a man accused of holding a group hostage inside a Texas store, police said. 

The man was armed with two guns Monday night when he jumped on the counter of a Houston convenience store and demanded everyone stop moving, KPRC reported. The store had five customers and three employees inside, the news outlet reported. 

The man told them to lock the doors and get on the floor, KTRK reported. 

Then a 17-year-old armed with a gun entered the store, according to the news outlet, and demanded the hostages be released. 

“It appears there was an exchange of gunfire between the two that resulted in the victim being struck and later pronounced (dead),” Houston police Lt. Christopher Bruce told KTRK. 

Read more:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article254585602.html

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens. While the hostages are obviously relieved that they weren't harmed, the final result is a dead hero.

  

On 9/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, badlatitude said:

I am trying to get the point of proper education about guns and gun safety as a way to keep people safe and return  guns to respectability.

Uh huh. Sure. How does this further that goal?

Looks more like you're once again offering another reason to ban battlefield .22's and other assault weapons to me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Teen confronts man holding 8 hostage in store and dies in shootout, Texas police say

A teen was killed in a shootout with a man accused of holding a group hostage inside a Texas store, police said. 

The man was armed with two guns Monday night when he jumped on the counter of a Houston convenience store and demanded everyone stop moving, KPRC reported. The store had five customers and three employees inside, the news outlet reported. 

The man told them to lock the doors and get on the floor, KTRK reported. 

Then a 17-year-old armed with a gun entered the store, according to the news outlet, and demanded the hostages be released. 

“It appears there was an exchange of gunfire between the two that resulted in the victim being struck and later pronounced (dead),” Houston police Lt. Christopher Bruce told KTRK. 

Read more:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article254585602.html

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens. While the hostages are obviously relieved that they weren't harmed, the final result is a dead hero.

 In his defense, it almost never goes down like that in the movies. Most the bad guys shoot like Imperial Storm Troopers. 

 storm-troop-bad-shots.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

  

Uh huh. Sure. How does this further that goal?

Looks more like you're once again offering another reason to ban battlefield .22's and other assault weapons to me.

 

Looks more like you are succumbing to gun scare paranoia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Looks more like you @Excoded Tom are succumbing to gun scare paranoia.

How understated. The Dogballs has been actively generating gun scare paranoia...and not very well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

I know, it's almost comedy.

I'm old school, BL. I feel we have a tragedy, cuz @Excoded Tomhas made a journey from his National Merit Scholarship Award, to a his dedication to disinformation and intentional falsehoods.

Pick your morning, and Tom's very selective slime gets on stuff, on empirical facts, on Publius, on the NAACP, on the school shooting situation(s), and on MLK's church. 

The battlefield .22 saga, Since Nov. of 2016, is a direct assault upon the Heller case. WTF?

 

So I distrust his shit = based on his posted shit. Who knows how his chronic, running perversion has affected his presentations of privileges and immunities, privacy rights, and property rights. I don't want to learn jack from such a person. 

But yeah. In a twisted humor kinda comedy way, it is fascinating to watch Tom Ray rock and roll. :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

I'm old school, BL. I feel we have a tragedy, cuz @Excoded Tomhas made a journey from his National Merit Scholarship Award, to a his dedication to disinformation and intentional falsehoods.

Pick your morning, and Tom's very selective slime gets on stuff, on empirical facts, on Publius, on the NAACP, on the school shooting situation(s), and on MLK's church. 

The battlefield .22 saga is a direct assault upon the Heller case.

So I distrust his shit = based on his posted shit. Who knows how his chronic, running perversion has affected his presentations of privileges and immunities, privacy rights, and property rights. I don't want to learn jack from such a person. 

But yeah. In a twisted humor kinda comedy way, it is fascinating to watch Tom Ray rock and roll. :huh:

Tom does try to be accurate with what he puts out there, and he has done some terrific work around kids. His allegiance to Libertarianism is his problem because most posters left and right are not likely to fall for the kooky side of that persuasion. If he were more serious; he would have a lot more people listening to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Tom does try to be accurate with what he puts out there

You are being nice, to a likable guy. Good. BUT

Tom's chosen content flies in absolute contradiction to the vetted gun research, and also to the vetted historical research. (He will NOT discuss the latter on Political Anarchy, which is a huge tell, mate.) 

Be serious, BL, we have a pattern which lacks veracity:

  • Comparing plinker guns with assault weapons is not "accurate." Hmmm.
  • Claiming any outdoor gun rights in Anglo-American common law is not "accurate."
  • Claiming Japan's suicides can be related to U.S. suicide is not accurate. 
  • Claiming there has been no GVP research ban (for twenty years) is not accurate.
  • Claiming militia gun rights nonsense (after Heller made self defense the core of the second amendment) is not accurate.
  • Any quoting and supporting of John R. Lott, Joyce Lee Malcolm, or Clayton Cramer would reek of their inaccuracies.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

You are being nice, to a likable guy. Good. BUT

Tom's chosen content flies in absolute contradiction to the vetted gun research, and also to the vetted historical research. (He will NOT discuss the latter on Political Anarchy, which is a huge tell, mate.) 

Be serious, BL, we have a pattern which lacks veracity:

  • Comparing plinker guns with assault weapons is not "accurate." Hmmm.
  • Claiming any outdoor gun rights in Anglo-American common law is not "accurate."
  • Claiming Japan's suicides can be related to U.S. suicide is not accurate. 
  • Claiming there has been no GVP research ban (for twenty years) is not accurate.
  • Claiming militia gun rights nonsense (after Heller made self defense the core of the second amendment) is not accurate.
  • Any quoting and supporting of John R. Lott, Joyce Lee Malcolm, or Clayton Cramer would reek of their inaccuracies.

 

Let the audience decide. Sometimes it is best to let a poster commit journalistic suicide, than murder them in public. No one appreciates the splatter or the cleanup, and you remain a good guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Comparing plinker guns with assault weapons is not "accurate." Hmmm.

Battlefield .22's are assault weapons in every way that is relevant to my life.

Hundreds of congresscritters in the US House and Senate say so.

FL legislators also say so, as do those responsible for writing our "assault" weapon ban ballot amendment.

We're asked to imitate countries like Canada and Australia, where battlefield .22's are assault weapons.

I do have a list of reasons to believe battlefield .22's are not assault weapons. I'm keeping it just in case. Haven't added any items to it yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, badlatitude said:

His allegiance to Libertarianism is his problem because most posters left and right are not likely to fall for the kooky side of that persuasion.

That's always been true. What's "kooky" changes over time. When Joe Biden was helping expand the stupid drug war, the idea of legalizing cannabis was kooky. Now it's not. We didn't change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The following articles are all from today's paper in our little university town of about 100,000 people. We have a gun epidemic and they are filling up our jails.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 6:39 AM, badlatitude said:

Teen confronts man holding 8 hostage in store and dies in shootout, Texas police say

A teen was killed in a shootout with a man accused of holding a group hostage inside a Texas store, police said. 

The man was armed with two guns Monday night when he jumped on the counter of a Houston convenience store and demanded everyone stop moving, KPRC reported. The store had five customers and three employees inside, the news outlet reported. 

The man told them to lock the doors and get on the floor, KTRK reported. 

Then a 17-year-old armed with a gun entered the store, according to the news outlet, and demanded the hostages be released. 

“It appears there was an exchange of gunfire between the two that resulted in the victim being struck and later pronounced (dead),” Houston police Lt. Christopher Bruce told KTRK. 

Read more:  https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article254585602.html

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens. While the hostages are obviously relieved that they weren't harmed, the final result is a dead hero.

BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS NOW!!!!  Do something!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 9:39 AM, badlatitude said:

So the "good guy" with a gun shows up and look what happens.

OK.

 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:37 PM, badlatitude said:
On 9/30/2021 at 3:15 PM, Excoded Tom said:

  

Uh huh. Sure. How does this further that goal?

Looks more like you're once again offering another reason to ban battlefield .22's and other assault weapons to me.

 

Looks more like you are succumbing to gun scare paranoia.

So you've changed your mind and don't wish to ban battlefield .22's? That's great news!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

OK.

 

So you've changed your mind and don't wish to ban battlefield .22's? That's great news!

ah, when kooky is deemed to be good enough, we get the dogballs

Link to post
Share on other sites

Former NASCAR driver John Wes Townley killed in shooting (msn.com)

A citizen shot a gf beater? This was a domestic violence situation. The shooter is co-operating with police, and has not been charged. 

This is our world, now? This is how we do it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Former NASCAR driver John Wes Townley killed in shooting (msn.com)

A citizen shot a gf beater? This was a domestic violence situation. The shooter is co-operating with police, and has not been charged. 

This is our world, now? This is how we do it?

Jeff will be along shortly to just say BAN ASPHALT WEAPONS NOW!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Excoded Tom said:

The next thing I'd teach that one is that if you toss a gun on the ground you get to disassemble and clean it.

After that, you could teach her to race bait. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

After that, you could teach her to race bait. ;)

Nah, I'd be more likely to teach her to avoid people who say stuff like this:

  

On 5/4/2015 at 2:35 PM, jocal505 said:

The immature, short-sighted desire for gunpower is amplified, and more volatile, among blacks. Even more deadly than among whites.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Excoded Tom said:

Nah, I'd be more likely to teach her to avoid people who say stuff like this:

  

 

I have 15,000 posts, Dogballs, and you have exploited one of them, for six years. Setting your years of edgy race-baiting aside, I have another question.

Do you teach the junior sailors that the peer review process is worthless? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, badlatitude said:
On 10/4/2021 at 5:52 AM, Excoded Tom said:

OK.

 

So you've changed your mind and don't wish to ban battlefield .22's? That's great news!

BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS NOW!!!!

So is "gun scare paranoia" the same thing as taking you at your word that you wish to ban and confiscate battlefield .22's?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Excoded Tom said:

So is "gun scare paranoia" the same thing as taking you at your word that you wish to ban and confiscate battlefield .22's?

I seriously doubt there is any paranoia involved.

 

BTW Here is

He made a gun using a 3D printer, then he accidentally shot himself

your responsible gun owner of the day.

 

A teenager who made a gun with the 3D printer in his bedroom and then accidentally shot himself may be charged with a crime, according to Hopewell Police. 

The 16-year-old high school student suffered a simple graze wound to his leg. But the circumstances that led to the injury inside his Grant Street home last Saturday night were anything but simple.

"When officers arrived on the scene, they found it to be a little bit more complicated than normal," Hopewell Police Lt. Cheyenne Casale said.

The gun, according to police, came in two parts. 

"It looked like he had taken, either spare parts or replacement parts and kind of manufactured them together to build the top part of the firearm," Casale said.

The top part included the slide, the barrel, and the firing pin mechanism, according to police.

The teen combined those parts with a handle and trigger mechanism he created using a 3D printer, police said.

"In his words, the gun just went off while he was in the middle of doing it," Casale said. "[He's] very lucky that he didn't sustain a more severe wound."

Both Hopewell Police and the ATF are now investigating how the teen acquired the gun parts and ammunition.

"We're trying to figure out if maybe someone else prodded him to maybe, either at school or outside of school, to make a firearm," Casale said.

The Hopewell Police Department is requesting anyone who may have information to contact Lead Detective Ryan Fitzsimons of the Hopewell Street Crimes Unit at (804) 541-2284.

Those who have information on this crime and wish to remain anonymous can contact the Hopewell Prince George Crime Solvers hotline in Hopewell at (804) 541-2202 or provide their tip using the P3tips mobile app.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/hopewell-3d-printer-gun?_amp=true&fbclid=IwAR01tfdjpIN5wE_JB0zojgk1q2XRzPwf2om9qmgrWZ4GYydqyD_vMFP_YLw

Link to post
Share on other sites

BONUS!

 

Child accidentally shot while mom digs through purse

HOUSTON - A 3-year-old boy was accidentally shot when a gun in his mother's purse discharged while she was going through her bag looking for something.

 

Houston Police Department officials  say the incident happened about 9:15 p.m. inside the family's residence at Amos and Scott streets, on the city's South Side.

"We're not seeing any signs of foul play, just a horrible accident," a H.P.D. lieutenant said at the scene. "Of course we will still do a good investigation to make certain that's the case. "

Police say the bullet when through the purse, striking the boy in the lower torso.

"All we're doing is asking for prayers for the little boy," the lieutenant said about his injuries saying he was expected to be "okay."

The 3-year-old was rushed to a hospital for treatment and police say that no charges were expected.

https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/news/local/child-accidentally-shot-while-mom-digging-through-purse?fbclid=IwAR2T88Fx957nhqMykvKDok59rAPPhC7WIzmMQk2ofgWCqiRE-_a0saCf2xg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, badlatitude said:

The gun, according to police, came in two parts. 

"It looked like he had taken, either spare parts or replacement parts and kind of manufactured them together to build the top part of the firearm," Casale said.

The top part included the slide, the barrel, and the firing pin mechanism, according to police.

The teen combined those parts with a handle and trigger mechanism he created using a 3D printer, police said.

"In his words, the gun just went off while he was in the middle of doing it," Casale said. "[He's] very lucky that he didn't sustain a more severe wound."

The world needs tinkerers and I applaud his nascent interest but what did his parents know and when did they know it? Also, that's not what happened above. I don't know what did happen, but at some point it involved a live round in an area where a gun was being worked on. It's a good illustration of why we don't do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2021 at 4:11 AM, Excoded Tom said:

...at some point it involved a live round in an area where a gun was being worked on. It's a good illustration of why we don't do that.

So officious "we" are, Dogballs. (And so safe.)

Hmmm. How do "we" do it, down in Florida? Because sooner or later, some live rounds are needed, in the area where the gun is being worked on, to test any new gun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites