Why is this designed this way and what have others done to improve it

This is a picture of the control panel for my Yanmar Sail Drive. It has a plexiglass cover that is screwed on and covers 3/4 of the opening leaving only a couple of inches to reach in. I assume it’s to keep water out, but it makes reaching the key and stop button difficult. It’s low in the cockpit, so it requires kneeling down on the cockpit sole and reaching up under the plexi to turn the key. To make matters just a little bit worse; it’s next to the wheel so there’s limited space to kneel down next to it. 

I’m wondering what others may have done to improve this. 

7F830025-7B98-4BBC-9CA6-0553115C10AE.jpeg

I've got a little cover you can flip out of the way. Does a good job keeping the panel dry but the plexi is getting scratched up after a couple seasons use. Next time I'd make it solid and hinge the whole thing.

IMG_20190604_190911.jpg

Hinged cover to keep sea water and feet out , with an addition snap on canvas cover for storage and UV protection

walk the dock and look for Swans …they have a good protection system 

D464FED1-D2F7-4C19-B4C3-655192BCB945.png

or just lose the damned thing. My 21 year old Volvo Penta saildrive doesn’t have a cover over the panel and it’s fine. 

• Like 2