Buzzer on Yanmar 2YM15

My Yanmar 2YM15 on my J/95 doesn’t sound a buzzer when the key is first turned on or when the engine shuts down. 

I don’t see anything on the control panel or behind the control panel that looks like a buzzer. Is it possible that it was never equipped with a buzzer? Or, can I get any guidance as to where the buzzer should be?

These things work ok when the engine is not running.

Often inaudible when the engine is running.

Get a man-size alarm warning, a motor-bike horn etc.

If you have a temperature alarm switch as well as the oil switch, a couple of diodes will enable the oil / temperature lights to identify the problem.

It's usually obvious anyway.

Are you getting alarm lights for low oil pressure with key on engine off?  The buzzer should be active with any alarm.  If it's a newer panel and you are not getting any alarm lights it might have some solid state logic with a start delay on oil and run only alarms.

Did the previous owner install a newer alternator / regulator? Balmar is the usual aftermarket regulator and their instructions are a bit unclear.  Fairly easy to miswire it in a way that everything works except for buzzer.

If it's the stock alternator (Hitachi I think), could be a simple as the brown wire has become disconnected from the alternator. I think it needs to see ground, but I can't recall for sure.

On 8/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Quickstep192 said:

My Yanmar 2YM15 on my J/95 doesn’t sound a buzzer when the key is first turned on or when the engine shuts down. 

I don’t see anything on the control panel or behind the control panel that looks like a buzzer. Is it possible that it was never equipped with a buzzer? Or, can I get any guidance as to where the buzzer should be?

If the Yanmar buzzer is pricey, let me know and I’ll send you a free one. It’ll be a Mercury one, but it’s the same wiring and voltage. 

5 hours ago, Quickstep192 said:

Weirdly, after I posted this, the buzzer started working. Go figure...

Likely a connector/corrosion problem. (90%, make that 99%, of boat electrical problems are either a connector or corrosion.)