Does Anyone Really Give a Flying Fuck About the Post Office?

From VA to me: "USPS is hiring nationwide, Veterans and families get preference

More than 100,000 positions across the nation are available at the United States Postal Service such as: City and rural postal carriers, city carrier assistants, tractor trailer operators, sales and support, mail processors and mail handler assistants.

These positions are available full time, or just on weekends and holidays. Veterans, disabled Veterans, Reservists, spouses of disabled Veterans, widows or widowers of Veterans and mothers of Veterans all receive special preference for these USPS positions."

I have to wonder if anyone at the VA checked with DeJoy, who runs the Post Office?

Then there's the question of why anyone cares. Yes I know a lot of our elderly depend on the mail for checks and drugs and whatnot, and tho I have zero fucks to give about people in cities who can't/won't make the effort to move into the 21st C, perhaps there can be an argument made to keep rural postal service. 

In my reality, all important info comes via electronics. Last time I checked my PO Box, there were 11 pieces of "mail." It was advertising ... 1-11. And the advertisers get a discount. I'd feel slightly better if they paid the same prices we all do but what the hey?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is in Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution.    In the 1980's the administration forced it to be run like a private business vs part of the government. And it's service has been going down

The problem is, basic communication is a fundamental of civilization, and if you put it solely into the hands of for-profit business then it will quickly go the way of health care and private electric

I live a somewhat rural area, and I do not trust internet financial transactions. We've had regular episodes of having payments for bills be late, because the mail takes several weeks to go ~150

Posted Images

I live a somewhat rural area, and I do not trust internet financial transactions.

We've had regular episodes of having payments for bills be late, because the mail takes several weeks to go ~150 miles.

DeJoy needs to be kicked in the ass and then fired and then dropped into a hole with a brick tied to him.

Mail is a basic service. Ask Ben Franklin.

- DSK

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

it certainly was in Ben's day. 

It was the only game in town back in Ben's day.
In modern times there are numerous options that well exceed the USPS. It is no surprise they have been relegated to the bulk rate junk carriers they have become.

As for DeJoy, it is about time someone went into the abyss that USPS has become and attempted to sort it all out. That said it is a monumental task no made any easier by Congress and The Postal Union.

It is in Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution. 

In the 1980's the administration forced it to be run like a private business vs part of the government. And it's service has been going down since then. Now, we have DeJoy wreaking it more, (never mind his blatant conflict of interest, owning a shipping company that competes with the Post Office).    

• Like 6
1 minute ago, TyeDyedGary said:

Now, we have DeJoy wreaking it more, (never mind his blatant conflict of interest, owning a shipping company that competes with the Post Office).    

Maintainice includes remooveng defectieve parts/systems and the incompettante.    Additione throuh subtractione.              :)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I adgree with Qoddey & Steame, we neede it and it shoude be maintained licke anny system.                               :)

Because

13 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
33 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I adgree with Qoddey & Steame, we neede it and it shoude be maintained licke anny system.                               :)

Because

Ist an assette that we allreddey owen, whynotte tweake and tune it to performe bettere?

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

And expanded to include banking....

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-05-13/the-case-for-postal-banking-how-usps-and-fintechs-can-help-the-unbanked

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/05/13/postal-banking-pilots-are-an-alternative-to-predatory-firms/

Disclosure: My immigrant paternal grandfather spent his entire working life in the postal service as did my uncle after returning from service as a bombardier in WW2.

They'd both be spinning in their graves at DeJoys antics. Fucking parasite clown.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/08/18/big-win-usps-must-turn-over-docs-about-dejoys-potential-conflicts-interest

• Like 1

Everyone wants to go paperless!  I am juggling so many balls that if I don't have a paper bill in the file, it doesn't get paid.  Pathetic, I know!  But it is what it is......

• Like 1

It's a new century guys. New thinking needed. 

When there is not something in the news about another business' finances getting hacked, and electronic fraud is not a gazillion-dollar business, then I'll think about banking on line.

Until then, I have moved a bit past hoarding gold bars under the bed, but I view the advance of technology as a better thing for the people who want to take my money than for me.

- DSK

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Let's just quit fucking around and go for it:

United States of Amazon - new hit show on primetime:

Bezos Knows Best

sigh.

You haive allote moire truste in JB then me............                               :)

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

More than 100,000 positions across the nation are available at the United States Postal Service such as: City and rural postal carriers, city carrier assistants, tractor trailer operators, sales and support, mail processors and mail handler assistants.

These positions are available full time, or just on weekends and holidays. Veterans, disabled Veterans, Reservists, spouses of disabled Veterans, widows or widowers of Veterans and mothers of Veterans all receive special preference for these USPS positions."

I have to wonder if anyone at the VA checked with DeJoy, who runs the Post Office?

Then there's the question of why anyone cares. Yes I know a lot of our elderly depend on the mail for checks and drugs and whatnot, and tho I have zero fucks to give about people in cities who can't/won't make the effort to move into the 21st C, perhaps there can be an argument made to keep rural postal service. 

In my reality, all important info comes via electronics. Last time I checked my PO Box, there were 11 pieces of "mail." It was advertising ... 1-11. And the advertisers get a discount. I'd feel slightly better if they paid the same prices we all do but what the hey?

When you have been constantly at war for 250 years you need a place to put the knuckleheads that fought those wars after they have been used up. USPS seems like the perfect answer. Wish they would offer banking like in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You haive allote moire truste in JB then me............                               :)

See about getting your humor detector checked out.........  it doesn't seem to pick up dark.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

This is where I started Snaggs. Your answer is "tradition" ... a non-starter for me. 

Look if we are going to deprecate the post office then we need to make broadband a basic service.  Perhaps we should include an initiative for rural broadband in the next budget resolution.

2 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

This is where I started Snaggs. Your answer is "tradition" ... a non-starter for me. 

There are plenty options for the city and suburbanites. Not so much for the rural. 

16 minutes ago, d'ranger said:
21 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

See about getting your humor detector checked out.........  it doesn't seem to pick up dark.

wille do, thack you.               :)

Nevere saide that, we haive an assette that cane be leveragged is what I saide.  Then, I asksed what yout thouhts our...........            :)

39 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Wish they would offer banking like in the UK

the USPS did offer postal banking right up to the 1070's (in places). 

It worked great for people who otherwise would be unbanked (as millions are now) 

It ended because the Wall St. thieves wanted that business for themselves. 

Lots of progressive dems want to bring back postal banking - Liz Warren for one. 

Our corporate overlords cannot stand it that millions of postal workers make a living wage, and get decent health care vacations and retirement. 

They have the USPS lined up for destruction, that same way they want to destroy public education. 

The USPS is actually composed of diligent hard-working folks who do a good job;  

and amazingly, USPS is still pretty efficient in spite of outright sabotage by the Right. 

And the postal service pretty much created modern America, giving a huge kick start to the railroads and later the airline industry. 

This is a really good book: I learned a lot.  AJ sez "Check It Out!!" 

Hardcover How the Post Office Created America : A History Book

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AJ Oliver said:

They have the USPS lined up for destruction

Greedey sons of bicthes, I cante immagian the value of PO realle estate........... acres in everey citey in the US...........            :)  

Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Greedey sons of bicthes, I cante immagian the value of PO realle estate........... acres in everey citey in the US...........            :)  

Yeah, we have an expensive little town, and the PO occupied a nice little parcel. They moved their operations out to a warehouse, and just sold the parcel. I expect they got several millions, maybe close to 10.

Construction just started on yet another 4 story mixed-use development. We're slowly turning our towns into Orange County.

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I do, very much so. I had my car registration take about 20 days to travel 40 miles :angry: The MD police said they knew about this and wouldn't ticket for newly expired registrations. Both buying and selling small items online the postal service is by far the cheapest way to send something, but then I go buy a lens cap from Washington DC and it goes to the post office and sits for *10 freaking days*. This all was done on purpose and needs to be fixed! The post office is a basic responsibility of government.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

This all was done on purpose and needs to be fixed! The post office is a basic responsibility of government.

Agree, but lets be clear that the USPS has been, and still is, being sabotaged. 

The Drumph openly admitted that he was going to slow down mail deliveries - and that is one promise that he kept. 

Dems and progressives should be screaming much louder about this. 

55 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Nevere saide that, we haive an assette that cane be leveragged is what I saide.  Then, I asksed what yout thouhts our...........            :)

Ah ... nevermind Snaggs. I guess my real bitch is Joe Biden has been in office since you know when. Why is DeJoy still fucking up the works? 

Secondarily, with UPS and FedEx etc driving every which a way, we don't need a poorly run govt "asset" trailing behind delivering the crap that used to come free in the newspaper. Leave the crap out, and there's no need for umpteen mail carriers. And sorry oldtimers that don't like to learn anything new and don't have bank accounts ... that's on you. This isn't the 1070s anymore. 

17 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Dems and progressives should be screaming much louder about this. 

I  thick doing somethinge aboute it woude be betterw.....................                         :)

47 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

And the postal service pretty much created modern America, giving a huge kick start to the railroads and later the airline industry. 

Hyperbolic but that was then. The game has changed. Bigly.

4 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Ah ... nevermind Snaggs. I guess my real bitch is Joe Biden has been in office since you know when. Why is DeJoy still fucking up the works? 

Secondarily, with UPS and FedEx etc driving every which a way, we don't need a poorly run govt "asset" trailing behind delivering the crap that used to come free in the newspaper. Leave the crap out, and there's no need for umpteen mail carriers. And sorry oldtimers that don't like to learn anything new and don't have bank accounts ... that's on you. This isn't the 1070s anymore. 

The problem is, basic communication is a fundamental of civilization, and if you put it solely into the hands of for-profit business then it will quickly go the way of health care and private electrical service etc etc.... ie the average worker and rural dweller is out of fuckin' luck.

So, yeah... call me old fashioned. Snail mail works.... or it would, if Republicans had not been dedicated to trying to wreck it since the 1970s (this is not hyperbole or partisan rhetoric.... simple truth. Google retirement funding laws forced on the USPS)

- DSK

• Like 3

The USPS is actually pretty efficient  . .  

lots of sources confirm that. 

just imagine what they could do were it not for the sabotage . .  ?? 

11 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

It’s tricky. Biden can’t fire Dejoy, the board can, but Biden’s board nominations must be confirmed. Turtle anyone?

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

It’s tricky. Biden can’t fire Dejoy, the board can, but Biden’s board nominations must be confirmed. Turtle anyone?

Correct, but there should be exceptions for blatant corruption and sabotage . . 

and jail time as well.  

46 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I do, very much so. I had my car registration take about 20 days to travel 40 miles :angry: The MD police said they knew about this and wouldn't ticket for newly expired registrations. Both buying and selling small items online the postal service is by far the cheapest way to send something, but then I go buy a lens cap from Washington DC and it goes to the post office and sits for *10 freaking days*. This all was done on purpose and needs to be fixed! The post office is a basic responsibility of government.

I don't like how all the right wing garbage acts like it has to be profitable or cut. I don't hear those cunts talking about the profitability of any other service. Their sacred military isn't profitable. Cut that shit. It is a basic service. Expand it if anything. Turn it into a bank and an internet provider. 

16 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

I don't like how all the right wing garbage acts like it has to be profitable or cut. I don't hear those cunts talking about the profitability of any other service. Their sacred military isn't profitable. Cut that shit. It is a basic service. Expand it if anything. Turn it into a bank and an internet provider. 

The military is highly profitable, the government just doesn't get a cut of that.

Kill the right people to make me King and you will have a 21stC USPS that cut it's operating cost by replacing the daily delivery to every location policy with every-other-day. Should roughly half the number of vehicles and drivers needed.    

5 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Kill the right people to make me King and you will have a 21stC USPS that cut it's operating cost by replacing the daily delivery to every location policy with every-other-day. Should roughly half the number of vehicles and drivers needed.    

Amazing that all the people we do pay can't come up with a plan like this. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Amazing that all the people we do pay can't come up with a plan like this. 

I insist those be the first against the wall too, btw. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Everyone wants to go paperless!  I am juggling so many balls that if I don't have a paper bill in the file, it doesn't get paid.  Pathetic, I know!  But it is what it is......

It's gonna be a bitch to send paperless prescriptions to people, too.

The USPS is a BASIC FUNCTION of society, that gives access to communication, information, and shipping services to regular, average people.

It's critical, still.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The USPS is a BASIC FUNCTION of society, that gives access to communication, information, and shipping services to regular, average people.

It's critical, still.

It's a self correcting problem.  All the republican geezers die without their medication so maybe some non-moronic politicians will get voted in.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

It's critical, still.

Huh? My doctor sends the prescription directly to the pharmacy of my choice. If I want to go somewhere else with it they will transfer it.

Of course, this is Canada, land of socialistical medicine.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Huh? My doctor sends the prescription directly to the pharmacy of my choice. If I want to go somewhere else with it they will transfer it.

Of course, this is Canada, land of socialistical medicine.

Yeahe, they do thet heare to.........                 :)

I give many flying fucks, I hold the USPS in high esteem. that trumptard dejoy should be prosecuted.

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

It's a new century guys. New thinking needed. 

How's the E-Maple syrup you sister sent you via Facebook taste on your twat waffles?

And the USPS used to be, essentially, a bank for a lot of rural folks. You buy stamps. You cash them in and send certified postal money orders to whomever.

3 minutes ago, A3A said:

How am I going to vote illegally if I can't mail in my ballot?

Privately owned drop boxes... Especially in Democratic heavy voting districts. The McConnells will make sure your vote gets counted.

28 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

How's the E-Maple syrup you sister sent you via Facebook taste on your twat waffles?

And the USPS used to be, essentially, a bank for a lot of rural folks. You buy stamps. You cash them in and send certified postal money orders to whomever.

Check current date and century. It has been established that rural folk have more issues. RTFT

12 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Check current date and century. It has been established that rural folk have more issues. RTFT

Coming from a tourist mecca, you'd have a lot of first hand experience, I'm sure...:rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

I give many flying fucks, I hold the USPS in high esteem. that trumptard dejoy should be prosecuted.

Even if congress dealt with the pension issue they are still losing money, a lot of the things he is doing are needed.  The election stuff was just bad timing.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

It's critical, still.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!

Most of us top ten percenters, or whatever the number is, are unaware of the tens of thousands of forgotten, poor, and lower middle class people who don't have internet, cell phones or even basic email.  

EDIT::

Liberal means generous, how can we help everyone?

Conservative means stingy, we've got ours the rest can eat cake!!

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!

Most of us top ten percenters, or whatever the number is, are unaware of the tens of thousands of forgotten, poor, and lower middle class people who don't have internet, cell phones or even basic email.  

EDIT::

Liberal means generous, how can we help everyone?

Conservative means stingy, we've got ours the rest can eat cake!!

I do believe that you are quoting me, quoting "Whit" Thompson, with that line. Could be that Whit was quoting somebody else, but that's the first guy I heard say that line. And he was a.... {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ SHUDDER}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Red Sox fan.

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I thick BB is of saime elk

He's on the west side of the CT. river..... Theoretically he should be a Yankee fan, unless his job up in Middletown has him on that weird jag over to Torrington, and then up to the Ma. line.... That could be I guess....

Whit was a Bonus Baby for the Boston B's back in the 2nd WW..... That's why he was a Sox fan. Wrecked his pitching arm playing for the Marine Corps.

I think about 95% of my mail id junk mail, that's sent at a very reduced rate, 

Mostly wasted paper that goes in the garbage,  so we cut down tree's to make junk mail to fill our land fills/garbage dumps seems like a big waste to me,

and why aren't they paying what you and I have to pay to mail a letter, no stamp =no delivery.

I ended some unwanted mail , by using the returned stamped letter (  mostly Credit card ) with no thanks on it , funny that business stopped sending shit

29 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I do believe that you are quoting me, quoting "Whit" Thompson, with that line. Could be that Whit was quoting somebody else, but that's the first guy I heard say that line. And he was a.... {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ SHUDDER}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Red Sox fan.

I never heard that line before, but not surprised that someone else coined it..

I think I should make it my sig line...

20 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

I think about 95% of my mail id junk mail, that's sent at a very reduced rate, 

Mostly wasted paper that goes in the garbage,  so we cut down tree's to make junk mail to fill our land fills/garbage dumps seems like a big waste to me,

and why aren't they paying what you and I have to pay to mail a letter, no stamp =no delivery.

I ended some unwanted mail , by using the returned stamped letter (  mostly Credit card ) with no thanks on it , funny that business stopped sending shit

If you send out thousands, or tens of thousands of mail per day/week, you get a discount. If you send one letter a year, you don't.

When I owned a gallery back in the 90s, we sent out post cards every month or so to our entire mailing list. It was about 1/8th the cost of regular mail.... If you had the cards collated by zip code it was even cheaper.

19 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

If you send out thousands, or tens of thousands of mail per day/week, you get a discount. If you send one letter a year, you don't.

When I owned a gallery back in the 90s, we sent out post cards every month or so to our entire mailing list. It was about 1/8th the cost of regular mail.... If you had the cards collated by zip code it was even cheaper.

Sounds like socialism to me LOL

A post card from a real business I can see , but tons of junk paper/mail flyers seems over kill, 

Joe could wag his finger and drone the local tv weatherman and he can't get rid of the US "Postmaster?"

Ridiculous. There's something we don't know here (and yes I am aware of the structure).  

8 hours ago, Not for nothing said:

Sounds like socialism to me LOL

A post card from a real business I can see , but tons of junk paper/mail flyers seems over kill, 

Bulk mail is what keeps the USPS in business. (That and yearly bailouts by the FED)

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Bulk mail is what keeps the USPS in business. (That and yearly bailouts by the FED)

Are you saying it's mismanaged?

-Knew a few postal workers over the years, some worked their ass off , others sat their asses on the beach collecting over time?

- do we really need mail 6 days ( other then businesses ) a week , only to get flyers on Saturday's and the deliverers get 1 1/2 or double time 

- Most business/home owners pay bills on line,

-few if any get pay checks thru the mail, most are direct/auto pay to your bank , I don't think you can even get a social security check any more?

-The paradigm's for the post office need to change, 

- and as far as holiday cards , I would rather hit the delete button on a computer then get the letter open it and fill a garbage can with them. and I'm an old boomer raised on getting cards

1 hour ago, Not for nothing said:

Are you saying it's mismanaged?

It's mismanaged by congress, they can't do much without getting approval.  But mismanaged is the wrong word, it is more like active sabotage.  The workers have a union and republicans are willing to destroy the entire post office to get rid of that.

IIRC the PO was doing OK financially until they were required to fund their retirement accounts decades in ADVANCE. No other industry has ever labored under this penalty. Saving money for work/workers not even employed yet?

1 minute ago, longy said:

IIRC the PO was doing OK financially until they were required to fund their retirement accounts decades in ADVANCE. No other industry has ever labored under this penalty. Saving money for work/workers not even employed yet?

Yes, but even if this were to be removed right now they would still have issues.  The internet has hit them pretty hard just like it has hit businesses in other sectors.

And above, if junk mail is keeping the PO afloat ... why? 

Pretty sure there's a few million farmers who get their coupons this way but the other 350M of us don't. If mail were delivered once a week ... Who cares? Lotsa modern options for faster interaction 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

If mail were delivered once a week ... Who cares? 

For junk mail, yes, but they also do a great deal of package delivery.  They are hamstrung because they must use a flatter rate structure than private carriers use.  It is much cheaper to ship from LA to NY via the post office than it is with UPS.  UPS doesn't want that business because it is low profit margins.  So UPS overcharges on that and undercharges on more local deliveries where the fat profits are made and steals that business, while the USPS gets stuck with most of the low profit long haul stuff.  This is all stuff the UPSP has no authority to change, only congress can fix those issues and republicans will never let that happen.

• Like 2

maybe amazon should deliver the mail? one day deliver on just about anything you order.

My HOA mailed my water bill , now I can see the office , on last Tuesday (17) I didn't get it till yesterday (26) But I'm on Florida time zone

2 minutes ago, Not for nothing said:

maybe amazon should deliver the mail? one day deliver on just about anything you order.

My HOA mailed my water bill , now I can see the office , on last Tuesday (17) I didn't get it till yesterday (26) But I'm on Florida time zone

Are they going to deliver the mail to all those who insist on living in the middle of nowhere?  The post office is required to deliver to all those places private carriers wouldn't touch.  Remember, most republicans are so unpleasant to be around they can't live within 3 miles of another human.  I think even the squirrels keep their distance.

• Like 1

Here is the deal with the post office, it worked the same as Ma Bell did at the beginning.

When phones first came out, the phone company was granted a monopoly, no one else was allowed to build phone networks.  In exchange for this, the phone company would put in phone lines for EVERYONE, even those who lived in the middle of nowhere.  People in the cities paid more to lower the cost for those who lived in B.F.E.

They had the same deal with the post office.  But some time ago they allowed private carriers to start delivering stuff.  So now the post office has to follow all of these rules they had in place because they had a monopoly, but they no long have the monopoly to offset the cost of all those rules.  The biggest issue is they are not allow to change stuff around without the approval of dipfuck republican morons, and these pieces of shit are using this power to wipe them out.

1 minute ago, The_Real_XYZ said:

The biggest issue is they are not allow to change stuff around without the approval of dipfuck republican morons, and these pieces of shit are using this power to wipe them out.

@Blue Crab is blissfully unaware of all the facts you cite, as well as many others above. 

• </