Transquadra 2021

And it is a Figaro 2 who won the first leg line honours (from Marseille double) 

They had to modify it quite a bit to be in the maximum rating :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/transquadra/transquadra-un-figaro-beneteau-2-vainqueur-a-madere-en-temps-reel-et-aussi-en-compense-98715130-01e4-11ec-b682-8fa160af65a2

• Like 1

And it’s looking like a Figaro 2 is leading the Lorient fleet on the water although the website has them entered as a SF3200 the rating and article would suggest it is also a Figaro 2. Being only few miles behind I think the solo sailed 3300 Sapristi will have them on time

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/31/2021 at 8:12 PM, MPH said:

Would take some work to get the 111 to rate <1,051

Yeah, I thought that was the case.  Just checking.  Given that, the real question is what boat would be ideal for TransQuadra in 2025?  Figure whatever that is would also find itself at Fastnet, Middle Sea, Azores and Back, etc.  

Seems like the short list would be:

JPK 1010 or SunFast 3300

Then maybe a J11s or SF3600 would be worth considering at least.  Or a J/99?  

I think the two obvious choices right now are the JPK 10.30 and Sunfast 3300. Cheaper options are the 10.10 or SF3200. I'm sure a J11s would feel rather comfortable to you two but they never seemed to have caught on in the same way that the 3300 or 10.30 did. 10.80s fall under that 1,051 bar as well. 

The other thing to consider Fastnet wise is what rating band you want to be a part of. Sailing a 3300, 10.80 or 10.30 will put you in IRC 3 while with the 10.10s or 3200s you would have the option of optimizing into IRC 4. 

Hope to touch base with you at RTC and hear more about your Italian adventures!

Yes, IRC'd Figaro 2 are doing very well in the TSQ, as did the previous winner, a tricked-out Bepox 990, both notoriously planning quicker than the usual IRC DH allrounders.

They are not (at all) competitive in the Fasnet or its qualifiers who have a lot more upwind legs, and apart from the latest SF3300 and JPK 1030, it should be difficult to be competitive in both with the same boat.

Look at the very well sorted and sailed  Foggy Dew who came back from the TSQ first leg to race the RMSR.

If I had to go in for the fun of a one-year program and keep mu other boat, I would definitely get a Figaro2, they are all ocean ready and with NKE electronics, you can easily find a hungry figaro sailor who will dial you in the subtilities of the boat, and you will sell it for the exact same price you bought it (€60/70K) after enjoying crazy downwind in the DSQ and half a Fastnet.