Poor mans simplified speed machine?

Looking for a relatively modern design that can be had for <10K, planes upwind/downwind in 10 knots or less, and is straightforward/easy/quick to setup. I was briefly on the UFO bandwagon but I'm not sure it'll get up on foils in breeze consistently seen around Baltimore (plus floating debris, whether bodies or beer cans, may cause some damage), I had tried to find an owner willing to go on a pre-purchase test ride but was unable to find anyone willing. Singlehanded capability would be nice as well in a pinch, some RS Feva XLs in the harbor but rig height is tiny and you're always shadowed.  

Best,

Ham

12 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

Looking for a relatively modern design that can be had for <10K, planes upwind/downwind in 10 knots or less, and is straightforward/easy/quick to setup. I was briefly on the UFO bandwagon but I'm not sure it'll get up on foils in breeze consistently seen around Baltimore (plus floating debris, whether bodies or beer cans, may cause some damage), I had tried to find an owner willing to go on a pre-purchase test ride but was unable to find anyone willing. Singlehanded capability would be nice as well in a pinch, some RS Feva XLs in the harbor but rig height is tiny and you're always shadowed.  

Best,

Ham

I wouldn't claim it genuinely planes upwind ( as some do) but try out the RS Aero.

5 hours ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

... planes upwind/downwind in 10 knots or less, ...

^ This is the bit that dismisses any sailboat.

The IC strictly speaking doesn't actually plane upwind, but it's displacement speed in 10k certainly feels like it!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

IC is without a doubt the only existing off the shelf" singlehander you are going to find for that price.

And they exceed hull speed upwind. Is that good enough?

I take it Musto Skiffs and RS700's would be out of the price range second hand in the US?

What about a 29er set up for single handing

16 minutes ago, Rambler said:

I take it Musto Skiffs and RS700's would be out of the price range second hand in the US?

Single handed isn't a huge priority. Upswind SA on a 49er too much to handle single handed if breeze is light? Don't see too many RS dinghies in the states. 

37 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

Single handed isn't a huge priority. Upswind SA on a 49er too much to handle single handed if breeze is light? Don't see too many RS dinghies in the states. 

If single handed is not a hugh priority, the field opens up.

The Taser would be a possibility (which I recall Julian bethwaite claims as the only non-trapeze powered boat capable of upwind planning of sorts).

If a 49er is too much, think about an 49erFX. More fun in some ways because they're more in a controlabale range.

And can easily be single handed in light weather (we were single handing out equivalents rigged, but without wings, twin wire Fifteens at the start of COVID  - see https://www.facebook.com/110226546310465/videos/235109830898490   the main issue with single handing this sort of boat is getting the kite back down if you capsize with it up - especially if the boats turtle). 

A less than new 14ft skiff (but harder to single hand).

Vanguard did a twin wire skiff too. Vanguard Vector.

Laser 4000

Laser 5000

Maybe even a Laser 2

Yeah, go for the good old Laser 2. Singlehanded to windward maybe not planing but feels really fast.

Forget the Fevas, great for small people only.

8 hours ago, Rambler said:

What Musto Skiffs and what RS700s?  (and I have no idea bout the 29er. I, sure that would work--singlhanded my 505 many times. But not sure how many there are or their cost. Canoes I know about).

Vanguard Vector for sure if you find one!

As for the non-trapeze windward "planing" of the Tasar, ok, whatever. (Ain't planing but still going damn fast hahahahaha)

17 hours ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

I meant to add that Julian Bethwaite famously addressed the assertion at the trials that chose the 49er as the Olympic class that the 49er's were unsailable by anyone who wasn't an Australian skiff expert by taking it out and sailing it single handed in front of the crowd.

So, yes, in light weather, they will go single handed.

But something a bit more toned down - like the classes I've listed above - will proabably be more fun

9 hours ago, fastyacht said:

As for the non-trapeze windward "planing" of the Tasar, ok, whatever. (Ain't planing but still going damn fast hahahahaha)

Not arguing with you. Just citing the designer/designer's son.

I think what I said if you go back and look at the comment was that of a range of boats, and assuming you use the notion that WS once did, Planning up-wind is the ability to acheive a higher VMG to a windward mark, by cracking off a few degrees.     There are very few boats that can do that, the Tasar's in racing regularly do it, and it is done by a range of highly competent sailors, G-Medalits included, so by definition, a Tasar is one of the few boat that DO IT.     And it happens to be body swung!

If you sail a Tasar one up, highly unlikely you will do it, sail any 2 person boat with 1/2 the RM, and thanks what you would expect.

jB

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, JulianB said:

I think what I said if you go back and look at the comment was that of a range of boats, and assuming you use the notion that WS once did, Planning up-wind is the ability to acheive a higher VMG to a windward mark, by cracking off a few degrees.     There are very few boats that can do that, the Tasar's in racing regularly do it, and it is done by a range of highly competent sailors, G-Medalits included, so by definition, a Tasar is one of the few boat that DO IT.     And it happens to be body swung!

If you sail a Tasar one up, highly unlikely you will do it, sail any 2 person boat with 1/2 the RM, and thanks what you would expect.

jB

Thanks Julian

I hoped I'd attract your attention to put it more precisely.

1 hour ago, Rambler said:

Thanks Julian

I hoped I'd attract your attention to put it more precisely.

Thanks to you both, I'll start to hit the classifieds and see what turns up. 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, fastyacht said:

IC is without a doubt the only existing off the shelf" singlehander you are going to find for that price.

And they exceed hull speed upwind. Is that good enough?

Second hand R8 Bladerider should be well under 10k (if a good one can be found).

I had a vector years ago.  I'm certain that it was fun to race one design but for day sailing and having fun the boat was a handful.  I bought it as a 2 handed option to sail with my spin trimmer for a larger a-sail boat.  it was fast and fun but the effort required to sail it was a bit much.

I looked at tasers and V15's before settling on the Melges 15 as we really wanted a spinnaker.  Id imagine that used boats will start to be available come spring.   If you are in Baltimore you should take a drive up to NJ in September and give one a try.

1 hour ago, Fretz said:

I had a vector years ago.  I'm certain that it was fun to race one design but for day sailing and having fun the boat was a handful.  I bought it as a 2 handed option to sail with my spin trimmer for a larger a-sail boat.  it was fast and fun but the effort required to sail it was a bit much.

I looked at tasers and V15's before settling on the Melges 15 as we really wanted a spinnaker.  Id imagine that used boats will start to be available come spring.   If you are in Baltimore you should take a drive up to NJ in September and give one a try.

Fretz - What goes on in NJ in September?

CH

26 minutes ago, The_Cunning_Ham said:

Fretz - What goes on in NJ in September?

CH

the tourists are gone but the sailing is still amazing.   August is essentially over so there is that too;-)  We are hosting a regatta in October so the boats will stay rigged and ready until then.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, valcour said:

Thanks Valcour for both links, I can't make the Facebook one work. Reached out to a guy who has a 49er listed in Texas but he traded it two days ago unfortunately. Can't believe it's so hard to find skiffish craft in the United States. 

CH