Edson Wheel Nut Anarchy (solution)

Last fall I put the wheel nut and shaft key in a “safe spot” on the boat. This spring I didn’t remember where I had put them and decided to look for a better solution.

My solution is a stainless jam nut into which I drilled and tapped a hole for a bronze eye. I drilled a hole in the shaft key so I can clip it to the nut.

All told, cheaper than a replacement Edson nut ($50-60) plus I can now secure the shaft key and keep everything hanging on the hook w the boat keys, safe but also very visible.

102F26C0-3AAE-41E6-9932-9825E143F057.jpeg

F522C2B0-9E2F-479B-9603-A818BB0319D1.jpeg

6DD45E17-C74B-412A-A11A-2B2EAB0C3BFB.jpeg

Nice idea.  For years I simple secured the key with a bit of double-sided velcro and screwed the nut onto the shaft.  That bit of velcro lasted over 10 years.  Never lost a key or nut.  Velcro strap was the type used to secure electrical cords, etc, with a slot to feed the end through and fold over.  This makes snugging the strap against the key both easy and secure.

• 3 weeks later...

while coming up with tips for Edson wheels, I suggest a large flat rubber washer from the hardware store with hole cut to match the shaft.

Put it between the wheel and nut.

It provides enough friction to hold the nut solid without having to crank it down with a wrench. Much easier when the time comes to remove it for cocktails..

Also less chance of stripping Edson plastic wheel nuts which they no longer sell so you need to buy a 50-119 dollar nut.

25 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

while coming up with tips for Edson wheels, I suggest a large flat rubber washer from the hardware store with hole cut to match the shaft.

Put it between the wheel and nut.

It provides enough friction to hold the nut solid without having to crank it down with a wrench. Much easier when the time comes to remove it for cocktails..

Also less chance of stripping Edson plastic wheel nuts which they no longer sell so you need to buy a 50-119 dollar nut.

I use a fiber washer under my quick release wheel nut:

826ST-Quick-Release-Wheel-Nut__91645.1532373874.jpg?c=2

4 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

[ . . . ] enough friction to hold the nut solid without having to crank it down with a wrench. Much easier when the time comes to remove it for cocktails.

The bronze eye I added is definitely oversized just to hold a dainty little ring, but it’s PERFECT for being able to apply enough torque to tighten / loosen without having to resort to actual tools (:-)

56D2561F-4C51-4443-A999-585642BCCC9E.jpeg

1BD847A9-DA30-4305-87BD-19662A784554.jpeg

• Like 1