Phizer vaccine gets full FDA approval

Now that the Phizer vaccine has full approval, will the hold outs start getting vaccinated? That was one of their big excuses.

Watch the goal posts change - "It was granted too quickly" etc.

• Like 1

Look, we all know Regeneron is safe (because our Governor and TFG says so), so we're just gonna get the Covid and stick Regeneron in our arms and run up thousands of dollars in costs and take up hospital beds instead of taking a drug to prevent all that 'cause we think it will cause us to turn gay or something (even though the same Governor and TFG has taken it).

• Like 1

So the vaccine has been approved and now they are saying you will need to get a booster.  How long will you have to get the booster?  Will you need to get the booster once, maybe twice a year?  What will be the long term affects of multiple shots of the vaccine?  Will we eventually see issues arise from mass doses?  I’m good with a one time vaccine like we all took as kids. But taking this thing multiple times over a lifetime will have to lead to some issues. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

So the vaccine has been approved and now they are saying you will need to get a booster.  How long will you have to get the booster?  Will you need to get the booster once, maybe twice a year?  What will be the long term affects of multiple shots of the vaccine?  Will we eventually see issues arise from mass doses?  I’m good with a one time vaccine like we all took as kids. But taking this thing multiple times over a lifetime will have to lead to some issues. 

Get the AZ then.

Do you get the same flu shot every year?

16 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

One thing is certain, Pfizer is going to milk this for all it's worth.  

1170498115_BoosterTime!(Bee).thumb.png.d248582145cf13a4b4f10fd2df74a453.png

I have never taken the flu shot because I have an allergy to the protein used to manufacture it.  I also have never had the flu, stomach bug, or any other type of virus.  I have been fortunate over my life to only been sick with walking pneumonia when i was a child.  My wife is an elementary teacher and I have 3 kids that have been through the school system.  They all have come home sick one time or another and I seemed to have some sort of immunity and took care of everyone and never came down with anything. My oldest child was home for the summer and contracted Covid.  It was not a serious case, but i was the one in full contact during their sickness. 

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, Francisco Laguna said:

I have never taken the flu shot because I have an allergy to the protein used to manufacture it.  I also have never had the flu, stomach bug, or any other type of virus.  I have been fortunate over my life to only been sick with walking pneumonia when i was a child.  My wife is an elementary teacher and I have 3 kids that have been through the school system.  They all have come home sick one time or another and I seemed to have some sort of immunity and took care of everyone and never came down with anything. My oldest child was home for the summer and contracted Covid.  It was not a serious case, but i was the one in full contact during their sickness. 

I call bullshit. You surely had multiple infections as a child, you just don't remember. Even simple colds are viral infections. Each of those conferred immunity to you for the future, just like the vaccine you are dissing now. And you object to the possibility of needing boosters. For fuck sake. Several of the vaccines you were required to have as a citizen of our western society as a child required two or three shots, spaced out over months and years. Grow up you little child. If you don't want a second or third shot, fine, enjoy your COVID when you get it.

4 hours ago, Francisco Laguna said:

We get a new influenza vaccine every single year. Other vaccines have to be boosted periodically, such as tetanus.

Occasionally, more effective vaccines are developed, such as those for pneumonia and shingles, so you get a new version of those.

It is mostly the childhood disease vaccinations that are one and done. Many others need to be boosted at some point.

What’s the problem?

1 hour ago, accnick said:

It is mostly the childhood disease vaccinations that are one and done.

That's because those vaccines (e.g. measles, polio) effectively stimulate the innate immune system of the child - for life.  The current mRNA vaccines don't seem to be doing that (inside a year a booster shot is required) although it would be interesting to see if there are breakthrough infections in children.  We know there are breakthrough infections in adults.

The comparison to influenza vaccines requiring yearly shots is valid but we know that there are different STRAINS of influenza each year from a number of different TYPES of influenza.  The question that should be asked is why are the mRNA vaccines losing their efficacy when they are exposed to just one VARIANT (not strain) of Covid-19 i.e. the Delta variant.

9 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's because those vaccines (e.g. measles, polio) effectively stimulate the innate immune system of the child - for life.  The current mRNA vaccines don't seem to be doing that (inside a year a booster shot is required) although it would be interesting to see if there are breakthrough infections in children.  We know there are breakthrough infections in adults.

The comparison to influenza vaccines requiring yearly shots is valid but we know that there are different STRAINS of influenza each year from a number of different TYPES of influenza.  The question that should be asked is why are the mRNA vaccines losing their efficacy when they are exposed to just one VARIANT (not strain) of Covid-19 i.e. the Delta variant.

because it is a vaccine against only the spike..  a new variant has three mutations on the end it spike .. a whole virus vaccine would be different .

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Never heard of tetanus, eh?

I guess the tetanus vaccine must be defective and dangerous, because a booster is needed.

But then, tetanus doesn't change and evolve

-DSK

Tetanus is a bacteria Clostridium tetani not a virus.  The recommended booster shots are every 10 years but there is inconclusive proof that they are even needed.  However a recent study suggests that if as a child you went through the full inoculation regime you don't require any boosters.  

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article-abstract/72/2/285/5741633?redirectedFrom=fulltext

The World Health Organization (WHO) does not recommend routine adult booster vaccination for tetanus and diphtheria after completion of the childhood vaccination series. However, many countries continue to implement adult booster vaccinations, leading to the question of whether this is necessary to reduce the incidence of these 2 rare diseases.

2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Tetanus is a bacteria Clostridium tetani not a virus.  ....

The World Health Organization (WHO) does not recommend routine adult booster vaccination for tetanus and diphtheria after completion of the childhood vaccination series. ...

You're really full o' shit and utter irrelevance.

The WHO recommends that poor countries spend their health care dollars differently than rich countries.

If you can afford it, and don't get a tetanus booster, you're an idiot

Oh wait...

DSK

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You're really full o' shit and utter irrelevance.

The WHO recommends that poor countries spend their health care dollars differently than rich countries.

If you can afford it, and don't get a tetanus booster, you're an idiot

Oh wait...

DSK

You posted about Tetanus - not my fault that it is utterly irrelevant to the current discussion!!

From the research I posted:

Review of >11 billion person-years of incidence data revealed no benefit associated with performing adult booster vaccinations against tetanus or diphtheria. Similar to other vaccines, this analysis supports the WHO position on adult booster vaccination and, if approved by governing health authorities, this may allow more countries to focus healthcare resources on vulnerable and undervaccinated populations.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:22 AM, Zonker said:

Now that the Phizer vaccine has full approval, will the hold outs start getting vaccinated? That was one of their big excuses.

Watch the goal posts change - "It was granted too quickly" etc.

I think there is a certain portion of the hold outs that would have actually come over after the vaccines received full FDA approval.  (not wanting to take an experimental vaccine is not a totally crazy position even if early data look promising)

However, mandates tend to make people dig in.  I think the mandates will make some people reluctantly and begrudgingly come over to regain the "privileges" (former rights) that are being withheld and some will now never get vaccinated unless they are pinned down and jabbed. (which will not likely ever happen)

But the real issue will now be politics.  If the mandates are popular they will continue and if they are not popular the politicians will walk them back.

23 hours ago, Francisco Laguna said:

All that means it that you have a strong immune system. I wouldn't bet on it recognizing a new virus though.

1 hour ago, ShortForBob said:

All that means it that you have a strong immune system. I wouldn't bet on it recognizing a new virus though.

It also means that if infected he will be asymptomatic and if it's Delta will be infecting a number of people. Covid is the disaster it is precisely because they didn't realize how easy person to person transmission was and more importantly how those with no symptoms were spreading it.  It was several months before the latter was diagnosed and by then it was spreading worldwide.

Those who choose to not get vaccinated are playing russian roulette with themselves and the rest of us. Might be just fine, might just kill someone.

Get the shot.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, Kate short for Bob said:

Your statement is factually incorrect. The MMR may not give immunity for life. I'm a physician and periodically need to have antibody titers checked to work in a hospital or surgical center. 

On 8/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Kate short for Bob said:

Tetanus is a bacteria Clostridium tetani not a virus.  The recommended booster shots are every 10 years but there is inconclusive proof that they are even needed.  However a recent study suggests that if as a child you went through the full inoculation regime you don't require any boosters.  

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article-abstract/72/2/285/5741633?redirectedFrom=fulltext

The World Health Organization (WHO) does not recommend routine adult booster vaccination for tetanus and diphtheria after completion of the childhood vaccination series. However, many countries continue to implement adult booster vaccinations, leading to the question of whether this is necessary to reduce the incidence of these 2 rare diseases.

Tetanus is fatal. Get a booster every 10 years. Period.  Pertusis can still kill. Its the P in DPT. When the UK stopped giving it, they had a massive outbreak leading to the death of children.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, d'ranger said:

It also means that if infected he will be asymptomatic and if it's Delta will be infecting a number of people. Covid is the disaster it is precisely because they didn't realize how easy person to person transmission was and more importantly how those with no symptoms were spreading it.  It was several months before the latter was diagnosed and by then it was spreading worldwide.

Those who choose to not get vaccinated are playing russian roulette with themselves and the rest of us. Might be just fine, might just kill someone.

Get the shot.

Wouldn't that be similar to getting the vaccine and being asymptomatic and spreading it to everyone else.   It does not prevent you from getting covid, only minimizes the possibilities of getting it and if you do, the symptoms will likely not be as bad.  

Are you still walking around the parking lot with your gloves on 2 hours before the race?

• Downvote 1
42 minutes ago, Francisco Laguna said:

Wouldn't that be similar to getting the vaccine and being asymptomatic and spreading it to everyone else.   It does not prevent you from getting covid, only minimizes the possibilities of getting it and if you do, the symptoms will likely not be as bad.  

Are you still walking around the parking lot with your gloves on 2 hours before the race?

Do you still beat your wife?  Being vaccinated means you are much less likely to get covid and if you do less likely to transmit it.  Want to know some consequences of not getting vaxxed beyond the obvious? Relief efforts are underway for LA and MS due to Ida. A number of older experienced people including me are not going. Why? Those 2 states have very low vax %s and we aren't willing to put ourselves at risk for those who didn't care enough.  In Mississippi it only slightly better than 1 of 3, way less than half in LA. I was there in May and almost nobody wore a mask. This is the 1st disaster we haven't been there.

Now since it took you 5 days to create that reply see if you can put some more thought into it or ask for some help. Feel free to substitute dog for wife.

Dude, you’re not original. I don’t beat my wife and you do walk around in the parking lot with your gloves on 2 hours before the race starts.  That’s assuming anyone even invites you to sail. 

if you’re so confident that everyone should get the vaccine, then you should go. Or are you saying the vaccine doesn’t work. 

As far as the slow response, i actually have a life outside of sitting on my computer waiting to reply to people that gets their rocks off arguing on this forum. 

• Downvote 1
3 hours ago, gn4478 said:

Your statement is factually incorrect. The MMR may not give immunity for life. I'm a physician and periodically need to have antibody titers checked to work in a hospital or surgical center. 

That's because you are in a high risk environment.  

2 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Relief efforts are underway for LA and MS due to Ida. A number of older experienced people including me are not going. Why? Those 2 states have very low vax %s and we aren't willing to put ourselves at risk for those who didn't care enough. 

So you are vaccinated but aren't confident enough in the efficacy of the vaccination to avoid the risk of drowning?  

17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You apparently don't know what a "titer" is

No surprise

- DSK

I do actually but I'm not so sure you do.  Is it surprising that a physician working in a high risk environment doesn't have their antibody levels tested periodically?  Don't you realise that hospitals tend to attract a congregation of diseased people?  

8 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's because you are in a high risk environment.  

You claimed childhood vaccines like mmr give permanent protection. They don’t necessarily. That has nothing to do with where I work. 

On 8/26/2021 at 2:51 AM, d'ranger said:

Get the shot.

Good vaccine slogan

Would relate well to the 2nd A rabble :D

Russian roulette - Newton

Get the shot or chance the bullet. 

• Like 1