Dock launch canal toy?

I'm looking to buy a dinghy for my house. I live on a very wide canal system in Corpus Christi and its windy pretty much every day.  I want something I can assemble on the dock by myself, launch, singlehand around for a while, and put back away solo when I'm done. It also has to be under 14' LOA since I don't want to deal with registering it with the man.  I've been sailing larger boats for a long time, just want something to play around with. Simple lines and setup, no foils... If I want to foil I will go kite or wing.

Looks like the default choice is Laser, but maybe something like the RS Aero might be a bit sportier? I've done a few hours of googling, but don't know the world of dinghy sailing very well at all. 

I'm youngish and relatively fit and just looking for something to go have fun on when the wind isnt quite strong enough to kite. Ideally can go upwind well so I dont end up on someones dock too, lol. 

Check out the new Rocket from Fulcrum Speedworks.  Modern take on a Sunfish/Phantom.  Lightweight, lateen rig, as simple to rig as it comes.  There's a thread on here on the front page of the dinghy forum at the moment.  Skip to page 3 for pictures of owners with boats in the water.  RS Aero would be nice, sporty and lightweight also, but cost about twice as much and a bit more complicated to rig.  

• Like 2

OP, I'm guessing you're somewhere near SPID and Whitecap.  Are you going to toodle around the canals or go out into the Laguna?  The Bay?  If you're going to stick to the canals, perhaps the Sunfish or Rocket would suit your needs/wants.  But the kite in your avatar makes me think you like performance.  So Laser or Aero would be a better fit, especially if you need to point as high as possible into the prevailing SE winds.  I ended up going with an Aero due to its light weight and modern design.

But you should try both.  There's an incredibly nice dude and absolute maniac, DTA, that used to post videos here blasting about in Corpus surf in his Laser and then Aero.  He's on youtube as Dion Alaniz.  When last we messaged a week or so back, he wasn't sailing much anymore as he's into 50 mile ultramarathons and training for a 100 miler.  Maybe you can lure him out for a demo on the Bay.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, RedTuna said:

OP, I'm guessing you're somewhere near SPID and Whitecap.  Are you going to toodle around the canals or go out into the Laguna?  The Bay?  If you're going to stick to the canals, perhaps the Sunfish or Rocket would suit your needs/wants.  But the kite in your avatar makes me think you like performance.  So Laser or Aero would be a better fit, especially if you need to point as high as possible into the prevailing SE winds.  I ended up going with an Aero due to its light weight and modern design.

But you should try both.  There's an incredibly nice dude and absolute maniac, DTA, that used to post videos here blasting about in Corpus surf in his Laser and then Aero.  He's on youtube as Dion Alaniz.  When last we messaged a week or so back, he wasn't sailing much anymore as he's into 50 mile ultramarathons and training for a 100 miler.  Maybe you can lure him out for a demo on the Bay.

Yep, exactly. Main goal is the canals, but would like to be able to go out into the laguna and ICW as well.  Definitely some areas where I would need to short tack and going upwind well would help with that.  Who knows, might even take it out on the gulf side.

I like the idea of the aero being light enough I could put it on top of my 4runner.  Seems like what I'm leaning towards. 

I will try to look up Dion, seems like my kind of maniac. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, hoektron said:

I like the idea of the aero being light enough I could put it on top of my 4runner.  Seems like what I'm leaning towards.

I rack mine on top of an F150 bed.  It's a little time consuming, maybe 15 minutes total, from rolling up on the dolly to tied down.  Will likely take less once I get better at a routine and technique.  Racks at about seven feet off the ground.  Right now I'm lifting the bow with a painter, tying it off on the rear rack with about 15-18 inches of line clear, then I flip it, get the dolly out of the way, and place the stern on a pad.  Then put the bow over the rear rack, untie the painter, grab the stern and slide the boat forward.  Strap it and done.  Bound to be an easy peasy, lemon squeezy technique but that's where I'm at now with a several months of ownership.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Seems like auxiliary propulsion of some kind is needed on canals. 

He said "wide canals" so I think they're sail-able. Roll tacking, yes... rocking n pumping too.

Tight tacks and tubes, ability to STOP precisely, the key to what is available. Lots of possibilities

FB- Doug

The Rocket seems like a great choice for this application.   It hull is 90 pounds, lighter than a sunfish (120 lbs) or Laser (135lbs) but not quite as light as an Aero (73 pounds).  The Aero is a wonderful boat, but its more than twice the price.   It is also on the fragile side to single handedly launch it from a dock, depending on how high the dock is from the water.   All will work in tight bodies of water and can be great fun.

On 8/23/2021 at 3:06 PM, fastyacht said:

I wondered where he went!

I never specifically asked, but I believe he bailed on SA after a fairly sexist/misogynist post on the mythical front page and "discussion" in the forums.  Wide spread crotch shot of a young female sailor climbing back into her Laser clone.  Ukrainian athlete, IIRC; maybe Russian.

In addition to being an incredibly nice dude, guessing he's too decent to be here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RedTuna said:

That's kinda neat but at 14 feet, OP would have to register it with the Texas every year.  Said he didn't want that.

So is 13.99 feet ok? Sand paper on a wood boat can work wonders…. Or is the bright line under 13’?

37 minutes ago, Amati said:

So is 13.99 feet ok? Sand paper on a wood boat can work wonders…. Or is the bright line under 13’?

Like so many things, it's the stated, official length that matters, not how long you can make it.

3 hours ago, Grestone said:

Like so many things, it's the stated, official length that matters, not how long you can make it.

I have parts of a Force 5!:)

• Like 1