• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I started googling Atlantic island lighthouses and peered at all the details.  Finding  this thread immensely interesting.  

check out this clip of one of our frostbiting days https://www.facebook.com/berlinyachtclub/videos/865473760789955/

Posted Images

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week :D  

Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

• Like 5

OK, so how about... here?  

First person to get it right gets to post the next photo.

IMG_0230.jpeg

• Like 1

Chapter Four wins.  Your turn.

Has to be something with some water in it... (sailing theme, eh?)  

Looks like that little culb down near Flinders, almost on Western Port Bay.

Whats even better are the Vinyards behind, the reds are exceptional.

jB

1 hour ago, JulianB said:

Looks like that little culb down near Flinders, almost on Western Port Bay.

Whats even better are the Vinyards behind, the reds are exceptional.

jB

Correct bay, wrong bit of land.

I'm claiming the last one, since that pic os on the yacht club's webpage I am very sure of it!

Where:

image.thumb.png.8e9cdd381c414db02adf14c12b51f365.png

clue: this area was the designated sailing venue for an olympic bid, and has hosted a Laser world champs

the white block was photo credit, blocked it out to prevent googling, but will credit when identified

Simon's town?

You're from cape Town

one of the sails looks like it has RSA on.

Only south African laser worlds

Could be sailing location for Cape Town's failed bid for 2004

False Bay yacht Club?

4 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Simon's town?

You're from cape Town

False Bay yacht Club?

Looks like it’s your turn next, the venue also hosted the 1998 youth worlds.

16 hours ago, shebeen said:

I'm claiming the last one, since that pic os on the yacht club's webpage I am very sure of it!

You are correct, on all counts, it is a lovely place to sail. Can be challenging too, headlands and tide make it an ever changing tactical race course.

21 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Simon's town?

You're from cape Town

False Bay yacht Club?

spot on. belatedly!

Called False Bay because on the return trip from India the ships would often think they had rounded the tip of africa and could head north up the atlantic,

confused some clipper sailors recently too going the other way

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2017/10/31/clipper-race-crew-evacuated-grounding/

On 9/1/2021 at 7:47 AM, Mozzy Sails said:

Bingo. Your turn

Oops - note to self - if you answer a question it might be a good idea to check back and see if you are right - maybe sooner than a week or so later.

Here's an easy one

IMG_20150709_184212.jpg

3 hours ago, seasider3563 said:

Oops - note to self - if you answer a question it might be a good idea to check back and see if you are right - maybe sooner than a week or so later.

Here's an easy one

IMG_20150709_184212.jpg

So easy I will leave it to somebody who hasn't been a member, but it really is one of the best dinghy clubs in the world, even if Clean was upset there was no swimming pool, although why you would want one with a sandy beach and wonderful clear water I have no idea.

12 hours ago, SimonN said:

So easy I will leave it to somebody who hasn't been a member, but it really is one of the best dinghy clubs in the world, even if Clean was upset there was no swimming pool, although why you would want one with a sandy beach and wonderful clear water I have no idea.

I remember that comment. Here's another image.

haylingisland.jpg

8 hours ago, Kazrob said:

Hayling Island SC. Looks so tranquil but it's also possibly the place with the most scary stories associated with it from crossing Hayling bar coming back from the bay.

Bingo - your turn - in fact anyone else's turn - I am out of pictures.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Kazrob said:

Ok....

48688277978_c7772e3f2a_o.jpg

awesome picture.

ok. OK dinghies. swedish and norwegian sails, the GKSS logo on the committee boat, gets me here

http://www.gkss.se/en/

but that's obviously too easy

so since there are about a million islands around there, guessing this is one of them.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/gkss+sweden/@57.6752272,11.7643393,15169m/data=!3m1!1e3

but no i can do better, so i go to the GKSS facebook page, and see there is a satellite regatta facility on Marstrand

https://www.google.com/maps/place/GKSS+Marstrand+-+Korvetten/@57.8846099,11.5821871,396m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5301fa89e44f2714!8m2!3d57.8846099!4d11.5843758

and what do we find there?

Carlstens Fästning obviously!

Carlstens Fästning High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Shit @shebeen, I just got rick rolled. Forouselves posting in a dinghy thread just seemed so out of context I had to read! 

even done it to myself on occassion.

5 hours ago, shebeen said:

I'm claiming this one.

this picture was taken this week. in south africa

242536570_173585638215271_2173478580466254448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_eui2=AeG0SL-q5jad0V1VNLtX1OicOMePctPwxY04x49y0_DFjVCecCNX0cj0yITWN3ieySg&_nc_ohc=mMmEaPSMMaoAX-DPxWp&_nc_ht=scontent.fjnb1-1.fna&oh=9169345b3c44b8561be0837705ad4c92&oe=61525317

Could that be Knysna Heads and was Nick onboard?

• Like 1
On 8/23/2021 at 8:35 PM, Xeon said:

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week :D  

Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I made the first identification but didn’t post a pic . Try this for size , if anyone gets it , I will be surprised. 

83060258-71BF-4553-ADD1-1DCF1D231B34.jpeg

63521CDD-F336-4E5F-A534-479A7939653A.jpeg

F9A58BB5-40F7-4DBE-A7E1-F82AA0A18D61.jpeg

Simon ,Good guess but no cigar .

Will give you a clue. We have held our nationals at Staunton Harold and these pics were also taken at another national venue located in the midlandish area.

It could have been worse I could have posted a pic of my own club, people that live in the same town don’t know where that is :D

2 hours ago, Xeon said:

Simon ,Good guess but no cigar .

Will give you a clue. We have held our nationals at Staunton Harold and these pics were also taken at another national venue located in the midlandish area.

It could have been worse I could have posted a pic of my own club, people that live in the same town don’t know where that is :D

Chelmarsh?

13 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Spot on . Full marks mr t , your turn.

Did you know the answer or was google your friend ? :D

I lived in the UK until 1989 and sailed at various sailing clubs in the Midlands, but never visited Chelmarsh. I solved it by first looking at the locations of recent national championships on the British Moth website. Seemed like it had to be Northampton or Chelmarsh (neither of which I sailed at.) Your clue about people in the same town don't know where your home yacht club is seemed more plausible for Northampton SC as it is several miles out of town. Which only let Chelmarsh.

Hmm - where in the world will I be?

17 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Re buoys . I sail on a tiny 7 acre puddle. We have 9 marks :D

Clue #2  As I recall there were about a dozen fixed marks the last time I sailed there. 

Clue #3 -  The lake is L-shaped.

36 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Hawley lake ? 

Not Hawley Lake.

Although we are looking for a lake of about that area.

And more in that part of the country as compared to some of the previous guesses. Think Home Counties - not Midlands.

7 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Think I might have it . Taplow lake sailing club.:D

Well done. Taplow Lake Sailing Club it is. Between Maidenhead and Slough

Formerly know as ICI Slough Sailing Club. (ICI Paints had a factory in Slough.)

My first sailing club c.1982-85. Back then we had pursuit racing for Lasers, Enterprises, Miracles and Mirror Dinghies.

The photo was from a Comet Open Meeting in 2006 https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/21337/Comets-at-Taplow-Lake

Apparently, more recently, the sailing cub lost the lease of the lake to a commercial motorized water sports organization https://taplowlakeside.co.uk and the TLSC  membership was absorbed into Maidenhead Sailing Club.

Your turn @Xeon

• Like 2

I found it though the picture and your blog lol  . To be honest I did have a little head start as my wife second boat is a comet :D And I have got drunk at Maidenhead sailing club on more than one occasion.:D

I will search though my pics to find a club that people might know .

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Xeon said:

I found it though the picture and your blog lol  . To be honest I did have a little head start as my wife second boat is a comet :D And I have got drunk at Maidenhead sailing club on more than one occasion.:D

I will search though my pics to find a club that people might know .

Yeah  - it's all there in my blog if anyone wanted to look. And not too hard anyway for anyone familiar with the Comet scene.

When I took up sailing - before I even bought a boat - I went to a potential new members' evening at Maidenhead SC. Somebody there tried to persuade me to buy a Solo. I ended up buying a Laser and joining ICI Slough SC because of another contact I had there. And then my first Open Meeting (in Lasers) was at Maidenhead SC.  After a few years at Taplow Lake I moved to the Midlands and joined Rutland SC. One extreme to the other!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tillerman said:

Clue #4 in its heyday this club was well known for Lasers, Enterprises, Miracles and Mirror Dinghies.

I think the Miracle it's best known for is that people sail there! :D

26 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

I think the Miracle it's best known for is that people sail there! :D

They don't any more.

But the fact that people would sail on a tiny gravel pit like that is a testament to British pluck and grit.

One of the teenagers who sailed there in my time went on to a podium finish in the Women's Laser Radial Worlds. Not so shabby.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tillerman said:

They don't any more.

But the fact that people would sail on a tiny gravel pit like that is a testament to British pluck and grit.

One of the teenagers who sailed there in my time went on to a podium finish in the Women's Laser Radial Worlds. Not so shabby.

Lol it’s four times the size of where I sail :D

15 hours ago, Xeon said:

We have held our nationals at Staunton Harold

Never picked up on the fact you sailed British moths. Grew up with them, although I never owned one, but I used to regularly borrow a couple of boats. One was unusual at the time, being self draining (this was mid 1970's). Very under rated class and great memories

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SimonN said:

Never picked up on the fact you sailed British moths. Grew up with them, although I never owned one, but I used to regularly borrow a couple of boats. One was unusual at the time, being self draining (this was mid 1970's). Very under rated class and great memories

Cheers Simon. Totally agree , they are great little boats , they suit our pond perfectly and I’ve owned 4 . The problem is I am a one design man at heart, which is why my new ride is a d-zero. But I can see me back in them when I get towards my old age :D

Sorry to be late to the party, and not to distract, I recognized Chelmarsh despite not having sailed there since the 60s.

One of the very earliest members, long before any buildings were constructed. 
Very pretty location. On a quite Summer’s Wednesday evening race you could hear the married couples bickering from the top of the reservoir. 
GP14 6731 Marlin. I wonder where she is.

anyway, back on topic…..

• Like 2
On 9/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, Major Tom said:

Could that be Knysna Heads and was Nick onboard?

yes and not sure.

but here is a video of them entering

https://www.facebook.com/nick.leggatt.9/videos/400116698287940?_rdc=2&_rdr

get's spicey at 1:20 mark.

I now realise this is actually a dinghy location thread, I have some good ones up my sleeve that will be impossible.

BUT it's also a great diversion thread too. I'm not sure if it is urban legend or not, but apparently the only place in the world where Lloyds of London will not insure your boat.  15 boats went cruising there on a rally last week, which is unusual activity for this coastline but very encouraging!

ok back to the dinghy places, I'm stumped

On 9/26/2021 at 4:44 AM, Metoxi said:

re.jpg

I thought somebody would have it by now. It's Oxford SC at Farmoor Reservoir, looking from the other side of the pond back at the club. 

• Like 1
On 9/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, tillerman said:

Well done. Taplow Lake Sailing Club it is. Between Maidenhead and Slough

Formerly know as ICI Slough Sailing Club. (ICI Paints had a factory in Slough.)

My first sailing club c.1982-85. Back then we had pursuit racing for Lasers, Enterprises, Miracles and Mirror Dinghies.

The photo was from a Comet Open Meeting in 2006 https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/21337/Comets-at-Taplow-Lake

Apparently, more recently, the sailing cub lost the lease of the lake to a commercial motorized water sports organization https://taplowlakeside.co.uk and the TLSC  membership was absorbed into Maidenhead Sailing Club.

Your turn @Xeon

that is a pond of note!

image.png.5739adfe4dc351a4107a75d94fc489ff.png

3 hours ago, shebeen said:

that is a pond of note!

image.png.5739adfe4dc351a4107a75d94fc489ff.png

It is quite small, but I am sure there are sailing clubs in England on smaller puddles.

I just discovered that my memory was wrong about the classes we sailed there when I was a member in the early 1980s. It was Lasers, Enterprises, Miracles and Toppers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SimonN said:

I thought somebody would have it by now. It's Oxford SC at Farmoor Reservoir, looking from the other side of the pond back at the club. 

What? That's a place I have actually sailed at and I didn't recognize it at all.

It was a Laser open meeting in the 1980s. The guy who had just won the European Championship was there.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tillerman said:

What? That's a place I have actually sailed at and I didn't recognize it at all.

It was a Laser open meeting in the 1980s. The guy who had just won the European Championship was there.

Maybe my memory is failing me again. The surprise sailor at Oxford SC the year I was there was Lawrence Crispin and I remember he had just won something big in Sweden. Looking back through the records It may well have been the Laser Worlds in Halmstad in 1985. Either way it was the first time I realized that in the Laser Class the superstars show up at their local club and race the plebs like me. (At least they did back then!)

6 hours ago, SimonN said:

and people actually sailing when the google streetview bus drove by!

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.754169,-1.354025,3a,75y,173.39h,86.29t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipONY9lA5ZixtRnMgDZRqaMxhe31GXR5BLf4vXRF!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipONY9lA5ZixtRnMgDZRqaMxhe31GXR5BLf4vXRF%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya147.56064-ro0-fo100!7i5376!8i2688

3 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

This is a place where there was so little wind for so long the boats and sailors got frozen into the ice sheet that winter!

Leigh & Lowton?

32 minutes ago, AnIdiot said:

Leigh & Lowton?

The location of the Comets "frozen in the ice sheet" has already been correctly identified as Taplow Lake Sailing Club in Buckinghamshire.

I think this has all been too UK centric and too easy. I am going super hard, but will add further pictures if we are getting nowhere. There is a big clue in the background.

I also make no apology for pictures of cats on the dinghy forum. I will give bonus points to anybody who correctly identifies the sailors.

IMG_3831.thumb.JPG.af7b867bb7e0ce7458d3767d00b3e465.JPG

1 hour ago, SimonN said:

I think this has all been too UK centric and too easy. I am going super hard, but will add further pictures if we are getting nowhere. There is a big clue in the background.

I also make no apology for pictures of cats on the dinghy forum. I will give bonus points to anybody who correctly identifies the sailors.

IMG_3831.thumb.JPG.af7b867bb7e0ce7458d3767d00b3e465.JPG

Morro Bay