• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I started googling Atlantic island lighthouses and peered at all the details.  Finding  this thread immensely interesting.  

Correct. The photo is from the Wurstfest Regatta at Lake Canyon YC in Texas earlier this month. Here are some more shots from the same event... Regatta report and results are at...

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Martin T said:

Just stumbled across it looking on East coast google earth, looking for a beach with swimming pool, lagoon & a roundabout! More luck than anything...lol.

Well done @Martin T. Your turn to post a new photo.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Try this one. 

csc.JPG

There are so many things in this picture that make me nostalgic for England that I think I need to have a good cry.

Please don't tell me it's really in France!

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, tillerman said:

There are so many things in this picture that make me nostalgic for England that I think I need to have a good cry.

Please don't tell me it's really in France!

Hahaha!

Somewhere on the Seine! Maybe where ROASTBEEF sails :-D

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tillerman said:

So where is the clubhouse? Is it out of frame? Or is it that half-timbered building? Or is this one of those grassroots sailing clubs with no clubhouse?

And is this a lake/pond or a bend in the river?

Which way is north? What time of day is it? What did tillerwoman have for dinner?

The white building is the club house & very quaint it is too. When I used to go there for open meeting back in the 70's & 80's they used to have a roaring log fire even in the summer! 

It's a lake in England but where it is they don't call them lakes! There is also  a canal that runs close to one side of the lake

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

The white building is the club house & very quaint it is too. When I used to go there for open meeting back in the 70's & 80's they used to have a roaring log fire even in the summer! 

It's a lake in England but where it is they don't call them lakes! There is also  a canal that runs close to one side of the lake

Colemere Sailing Club

colemere.thumb.jpeg.9f16e1280c73d8864c3c9922657174b1.jpeg

http://colemeresailing.org

1006155700_ScreenShot2021-11-23at7_36_42AM.thumb.png.3818314dd45aba09ace24a294b7fe0ec.png

2114433698_ScreenShot2021-11-23at7_38_35AM.thumb.png.12627c7a5a015a2f9cd4c6af9e6f2009.png

Thanks for the clues. Finally got it by checking out all the "mere" sailing clubs.

• Like 3

Well done Tillerman. Thought clues might give it away.  :-)

Fun place to sail, 3/4 surrounded by trees so wind bends & bounces like crazy. Can be beating on one tack & a few yards away another boat going same way is on the other tack! It would drive me crazy if it were my regular club.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

or Ennis lake

Getting close!

Ennis Lake is very shallow but sees some kite boarding as it is common to see 20-30+ knots on hot summer days.

13 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Henrys lake look more like it actually. Clark canyon looks way too remote to drag a laser to.

Clark Canyon has access (good iceboating) but no. Henry's Lake is getting even closer (it's in Idaho by the way). Henry's is pretty shallow.

5 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Clark Canyon has access (good iceboating) but no. Henry's Lake is getting even closer (it's in Idaho by the way). Henry's is pretty shallow.

Hegben lake. If that's not it then I'm stumped!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Hegben lake. If that's not it then I'm stumped!

Winner!!!!!

Hebgen Lake Yacht Club @ Kirkwood Marina.

Yellowstone National Park is on the horizon of the first picture.

Hebgen Lake is from a dam on the Madison River. Ennis Lake is also on the Madison, about 70 miles downstream (North) of Hebgen. The Madison is one of three (Gallatin and Jefferson) that form the Missouri River in Three Forks.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Ludington, Pere Marquette Lake?

Ludington Michigan.JPG

Yep!  I made it too easy!

IlMostro used to visit this little beach town a few times every summer, not always in Mac race season, and I always got pics of her. Could see her when I walked out the door on the peninsula side of town. To get the close up, I had to make the drive to town.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Martin T said:

This is an iconic sailing venue & maybe to easy.

rsc.JPG

Rutland Water - was a member of Rutland SC for a few years before we moved to US.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Martin T said:

This is an iconic sailing venue & maybe to easy.

rsc.JPG

You think that if you post the most iconic photo of an iconic venue, people might not get it because it is too obvious!:D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tillerman said:

Correct @eliboat

The picture shows Mike Catalano winner of the 30 boat 1981 Force 5 Midwinters sailed in Clearwater, Florida.

You're up.

This game has been really interesting to me because In so many cases, like this one, I just get a vibe having sailed in the same spot, albeit for me it has been about 30 years since I raced in Clearwater.  

• Like 1
On 11/23/2021 at 12:33 PM, tillerman said:

Colemere Sailing Club

colemere.thumb.jpeg.9f16e1280c73d8864c3c9922657174b1.jpeg

http://colemeresailing.org

1006155700_ScreenShot2021-11-23at7_36_42AM.thumb.png.3818314dd45aba09ace24a294b7fe0ec.png

2114433698_ScreenShot2021-11-23at7_38_35AM.thumb.png.12627c7a5a015a2f9cd4c6af9e6f2009.png

Thanks for the clues. Finally got it by checking out all the "mere" sailing clubs.

Near where I grew up. One of many absolutely tiny ponds that are used for sailing. What's also funny is that shropshire sailing club is less than 500m away.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Near where I grew up. One of many absolutely tiny ponds that are used for sailing. What's also funny is that shropshire sailing club is less than 500m away.  

That's one thing I really miss about England (having moved to the US back in the late 1900s) - the huge number of small sailing clubs, many on such tiny ponds. 

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

Glen head

Close enough!  That picture was taken by Morris Rosenfeld off of Oak Neck 9/5/53. Atlantic racing.  

I got that picture while walking down the street In Cambridge, MA one morning, along with two other Rosenfeld originals for $5.  All of Atlantics racing on LIS.  All of them have descriptions of the days racing written on the back, one with complete results.   Fastyacht, you’re next. 

71773733-469E-450D-84AD-95269A5A8911.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eliboat said:

Close enough!  That picture was taken by Morris Rosenfeld off of Oak Neck 9/5/53. Atlantic racing.  

I got that picture while walking down the street In Cambridge, MA one morning, along with two other Rosenfeld originals for $5.  All of Atlantics racing on LIS.  All of them have descriptions of the days racing written on the back, one with complete results.   Fastyacht, you’re next. 

Cool. I did actually crew on an Atlantic a few times. But I still didn't recognize it. Duh! 

5 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

That’s not tiny . Google Leamington Spa Sailing Club where I sail , now that’s tiny :D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, eliboat said:

Great photos…and such a deal! If you ever want to sell them, let me know.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, eliboat said:

That is such an utterly fantastic find--just love when something interesting like that finds a home, and Happy Thanksgiving. I just comsumed some serious smountd of Texas smoked tirkey.

I have sailed but not raced atlantics, and I watched nationals from my rowing skiff (peapod but not exactly) some uears back.

Postimg next challengr soon

Little known fact…Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state in the US.  I’ve seen counts as high as 150, but I think there are 129.  Still trying to see them all. Have 2 in my town, one I see every day.  

the shape of the one in the photo is familiar, but many are similar.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 130lights said:

Little known fact…Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state in the US.  I’ve seen counts as high as 150, but I think there are 129.  Still trying to see them all. Have 2 in my town, one I see every day.  

Not mich but interesting!

4 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Ok I hope yawl find this next challenge acceptable. I have continued the small keelboat theme with an even older type.

Name the lighthouse.

20211125_230323~2.jpg

this is getting next level.

swell pattern analysis is not coming up with much for me

9 hours ago, 130lights said:

How can the number of lighthouses in Michigan be a matter of dispute? Just go round and count them somebody. It's not as if they migrate in the winter.

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

How can the number of lighthouses in Michigan be a matter of dispute? Just go round and count them somebody. It's not as if they migrate in the winter.

When I googled it, there were different numbers. I think 129 is right because I’ve met with the lighthouse keepers association. Some are privately owned, and you can rent rooms in them. Others run by volunteers. Not easy to get to them either…I drove 28 miles on rutted muddy roads to see one a couple months ago on LakeSuperior. It’s a snowmobile trip in the winter. Or dog sleds.

1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

Wrong state hah

57 minutes ago, 130lights said:

When I googled it, there were different numbers. I think 129 is right because I’ve met with the lighthouse keepers association. Some are privately owned, and you can rent rooms in them. Others run by volunteers. Not easy to get to them either…I drove 28 miles on rutted muddy roads to see one a couple months ago on LakeSuperior. It’s a snowmobile trip in the winter. Or dog sleds.

Impressive!