where in the world

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have a winner!  @Raz'r you get to post the next mystery photo.   Stockton sailing club is the home of sailcamp.org, a volunteer run camp put on in the summer (well, except for the last couple

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I should add that we had a rather more conventional Ovington Benedict IV 1242 which we took too the St Francis Worlds, we ended up 30th out of 120 and I still regard this as the best week of Dinghy Ra

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fastyacht said:

It is on easterm extemts of the Atlantic Ocean

13 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Round Island light?

Well done @130lights. It is indeed Round Island Light in the Scilly Isles off the SW corner of England. How did you get it so quickly?

1674575302_ScreenShot2021-11-27at4_01_26PM.thumb.png.813041904166ddadcb300b91563a2e41.png

The RS Aero spotted by @Martin T was YODA skippered by Ken Fowler who is attempting to sail around all the islands in England and Wales to raise money for charity. I think he appeared in another one of my "where in the world" challenges.

https://yodare.co.uk

You are up @130lights.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Winter splash

47D7D35C-E52B-4498-B781-41E487EAD865.jpeg

Freshwatee ice.

Szo I lnowe wherecto look:)

Btw when I did the transatlantic itvwas a logjt on the Scillysvthat I first saw and was our official landfall in the middle of the night. Blowing a gale. Mayve it was another one of the six out there thoigh. Interrstimg history:

https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/experience/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/lighthouses

12 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Freshwatee ice.

Szo I lnowe wherecto look:)

Btw when I did the transatlantic itvwas a logjt on the Scillysvthat I first saw and was our official landfall in the middle of the night. Blowing a gale. Mayve it was another one of the six out there thoigh. Interrstimg history:

https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/experience/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/lighthouses

Check out the list of wrecks in the Scilly Isles - many after the lighthouses were built. I do remember the news of the Torrey Canyon when I lived in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_of_the_Isles_of_Scilly

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Frankfort Light

Ding ding ding!

just pulled from personal photo files…and hey, I love the snow.

You’re on!

27 minutes ago, Xeon said:

Spot on . I knew you would get that one easily. ( I have more difficult pics on my iPad but ever time I try an post them, they end up upside down lol . )  

Your turn :D

I've never been to Exmouth but The Bath House was a good clue that helped me find it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Massapoag yacht club

We have had some good turnouts of RS Aeros at our regattas at Massapoag YC - the record is 19 I think - but the terrain around Lake Massapoag is not as hilly as that.

20 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Lake Canyon yacht club

Correct. The photo is from the Wurstfest Regatta at Lake Canyon YC in Texas earlier this month. Here are some more shots from the same event...

wurstfest.thumb.jpeg.bd92f68111d7480f14b874b432d8c045.jpeg

667567238(1).thumb.jpeg.ad3e2fa71a243036a836c6c9ff4f5a16.jpeg

Regatta report and results are at...
https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=results&rid=3887

Well done @Admiral Hornblower. You are up next.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

some impressive work by the map sleuths all round here, some real lighthouse epxerts!

11 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

51139739584_713498b9af_k.thumb.jpg.a08d8e2f0975fd5a3e19540314f51603.jpg

laser sail number 888888 is not giving me any leads.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, shebeen said:

laser sail number 888888 is not giving me any leads.

No, but the other sail number has some interesting leads.
Back in 2014 the number was been used on a Laser Radial sail at some junior regattas in Ohio.

Just searched again and found a hit for 188849 on a full rig sail at the MISSA Singlehanded Championship sailed this year at Lake Forest. (That is a full rig sail in the picture.)

And Google StreetView shows that the dock at Lake Forest, Illinois has those distinctive lights.
1670484114_ScreenShot2021-11-29at7_32_18AM.thumb.png.bacf087dd53b1dc864f7e6064c886aee.png

Lake Forest, Illinois. Final answer.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Back in 2014 the number was been used on a Laser Radial sail at some junior regattas in Ohio.

Just searched again and found a hit for 188849 on a full rig sail at the MISSA Singlehanded Championship sailed this year at Lake Forest. (That is a full rig sail in the picture.)

And Google StreetView shows that the dock at Lake Forest, Illinois has those distinctive lights.
1670484114_ScreenShot2021-11-29at7_32_18AM.thumb.png.bacf087dd53b1dc864f7e6064c886aee.png

Definitely an impressive use of modern geography tools.

But, where in Lake Forest is that massive natural granite “wall” that’s in the background of the picture?

I’ll say this picture is from Lake Garda in Italy.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Definitely an impressive use of modern geography tools.

But, where in Lake Forest is that massive natural granite “wall” that’s in the background of the picture?

I’ll say this picture is from Lake Garda in Italy.

1966250450_ScreenShot2021-11-29at8_30_26AM.thumb.png.be7edbc5fb24980accb5271f0c32caa6.pngAnother shot from the middle of Lake Garda.

1 hour ago, tillerman said:

following that wormhole those radial regattas goes to this instagram account

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDeU36cMt6O/

I can confirm that after EXTENSIVE research on this feed, (it even goes to our old friend Put-in-Bay, Ohio) that this is not our answer. Well for this question at least it is not the answer

21 minutes ago, shebeen said:

following that wormhole those radial regattas goes to this instagram account

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDeU36cMt6O/

I can confirm that after EXTENSIVE research on this feed, (it even goes to our old friend Put-in-Bay, Ohio) that this is not our answer. Well for this question at least it is not the answer

You are correct. The kid in the Radial is a red herring. Key West? Jamaica? I don't think so.

The kid in the full rig is the real clue. He leads you right to Lake Forest!

I believe @tillerman is correct!

The building (clubhouse?) in the background looks like same construction as the building that shows up in images of Lake Forest Sailing Center (it’s actually part of a really nice city park).

Could the Laser be @Admiral Hornblower

Nota granite wall. That is forest floor leaf littrr

good spot. optical illusion!

23 minutes ago, tillerman said:

You are correct. The kid in the Radial is a red herring.

The kid in the full rig is the real clue. He leads you right to Lake Forest!

total red herring. the hull was red too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/uGPqpNMt55/

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

The building (clubhouse?) in the background looks like same construction as the building that shows up in images of Lake Forest Sailing Center (it’s actually part of a really nice city park).

Thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tillerman said:

We have a winner! Great job Tillermen, that is some serious sleuthing!

50 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Could the Laser be @Admiral Hornblower

unfortunately, its not me. I wish I had been there though, that regatta had some epic conditions!

In my completely unbiased opinion:P, the great lakes are some of the best places to sail in the US.

51138277647_e20ff172c6_c.jpg.b8a2cc0fa07eb1268c709b6c9197c273.jpg51138956816_d6b6fc51a7_c.jpg.71fca837d9f82ade46938dd7a832613e.jpg51139176568_6e0a7218c1_c.jpg.94910d3c9465cc6b7e3c6a1c77e15388.jpg51139731099_71b7c311e1_w.jpg.289978241ffebec83a473920f7cc15a8.jpg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Looks very 1951 British Pathé-esque.

Oh what the heck. Red sail. Anglelond. Bembredge redwimg? No. Some other class darn it bit forget name!!

1 minute ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Looks to me like a still from some video or movie.

Good start...

11 minutes ago, tillerman said:

For anyone still confused, the mystery photo was a screenshot from this (very English) 1950s film about a sailing school.

Well done @fastyacht. You're up.

3 minutes ago, tillerman said:

I had forgotten that I had used this video in a blog post I wrote about sailing schools three years ago.

https://aerobian.com/2018/12/12/sailing-schools-1956-and-2018/

After watching the one pn fifteens I saw and remwmbered the sailing school one.

The next one :

20211111_191737~2.jpg

24 minutes ago, tillerman said:

I discovered that a 20822 Field Attachable Shell & Nipple Female only costs $8.28.

1002619637_ScreenShot2021-11-29at2_37_53PM.thumb.png.36b538fe1b46d2bb5c63ea2cb36fdfb1.pnga

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

Typed "sunfish 20822" into Google, took me to the texasfishingforum...:rolleyes:

These are both hilariois!

But out of imterest but prpbsbly not searchable, that sunfish wss associated woth a sailing hall of famer. The organizatiom Gary is invol ex in.

35 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

But out of imterest but prpbsbly not searchable, that sunfish wss associated woth a sailing hall of famer. The organizatiom Gary is invol ex in.

Paul McCartney?

44 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Paul Foerster?

Dave Perry?

• Ashaway, RI ?
  • Barrington, RI ?
  • Bradford, RI ?
  • Bristol, RI ?
  • Central Falls, RI ?
  • Charlestown, RI ?
  • Coventry, RI ?
  • Cranston, RI ?
  • Cumberland, RI
  • East Greenwich, RI ?
  • East Providence, RI ?
  • Exeter, RI ?
  • Foster, RI ?
  • Greenville, RI ?
  • Harrisville, RI ?
  • Hope Valley, RI ?
  • Hopkinton, RI ?
  • Jamestown, RI ?
  • Johnston, RI ?
  • Kingston, RI ?
  • Lincoln, RI ?
  • Little Compton, RI ?
  • Middletown, RI ?
  • Narragansett, RI ?
  • Newport, RI ?
  • North Kingstown, RI ?
  • North Providence, RI ?
  • North Smithfield, RI ?
  • Pascoag, RI ?
  • Pawtucket, RI ?
  • Portsmouth, RI ?
  • Providence, RI ?
  • Smithfield, RI ?
  • Tiverton, RI ?
  • Wakefield, RI ?
  • Warren, RI ?
  • Warwick, RI ?
  • West Greenwich, RI ?
  • West Warwick, RI
  • Westerly, RI
  • Woonsocket, RI
  • Like 3

Alexander Bryan and Cortlandt Heyniger were inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame this year. They were both somewhat associated with the Sunfish. Although I guess they could have had sail numbers 1 and 2 if they wanted to.