• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

South Shields sailing club in the north of England. It’s the RS 400 nationals this week      Started yesterday, unfortunately they had no wind . Hopefully they had a better day today . 

I started googling Atlantic island lighthouses and peered at all the details.  Finding  this thread immensely interesting.  

check out this clip of one of our frostbiting days https://www.facebook.com/berlinyachtclub/videos/865473760789955/

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Based on this "yes", I'll start the next game.

Where in the world (this is a historical picture but the club is still very much active at the same location)?

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 4.59.06 PM.png

A lake in upstate New York? The 1960's 93F Saab (it's not a VW) and possible MG convertible up on the left indicate a more easterly location than PA or OH.  Looks like a fleet of Lightnings, though the photo resolution doesn't seem to include the jumper struts.  Comets have longer booms, overhanging the transom.  It is not the Buffalo Canoe Club, which has a sandy beach. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PaulK said:

A lake in upstate New York? The 1960's 93F Saab (it's not a VW) and possible MG convertible up on the left indicate a more easterly location than PA or OH.  Looks like a fleet of Lightnings, though the photo resolution doesn't seem to include the jumper struts.  Comets have longer booms, overhanging the transom.  It is not the Buffalo Canoe Club, which has a sandy beach. 

Not in NY state. Yes, some of those are Lightnings. 

Do they allow foreign cars in MT?  They do have a car museum in Deer Lodge, but don't recall any foreign ones there. None of the clubs on Flathead are old enough. Must be in PA or NJ. 

1 hour ago, Martin T said:

I thought they were Melges X boats too, but looking through there regatta results the sail numbers didn't make sense. 

Wait - I thought someone said they were Penguins and Lightnings?

5 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Not Wrightsville Beach

as a hint, a friend sailed a DN there once years ago on an especially cold winter 

They sail DNs on Deep Creek Lake in Maryland

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, tillerman said:

And the video says they do sometimes race DNs on the Miles River. The 1977 Worlds were there.

42 minutes ago, tillerman said:

And the video says they do sometimes race DNs on the Miles River. The 1977 Worlds were there.

Good luck om that ever happening again.

1980 or so the whole bay froze 3 feet thick.

14 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Based on this "yes", I'll start the next game.

Where in the world (this is a historical picture but the club is still very much active at the same location)?

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 4.59.06 PM.png

Lake Norman Yacht Club

32 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Both guesses in North Carolina are good but not correct 

Western Carolina Sailing Club is actually in South Carolina. Should I take your comment above as a NO to WCSC?

21 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Western Carolina Sailing Club is actually in South Carolina. Should I take your comment above as a NO to WCSC?

Oops. I forgot about the location of WCSC but, unfortunately, that is not the correct answer. As with the other's, you're in the right neighborhood.

No additional hints (seeing that the DN one worked so well) until we see what @Admiral Hornblowerhas.

3 hours ago, tillerman said:

Garrett County is in that little triangle next to W.Va and PA. It is mountain country and *should* have ice every year. But things are getting pretty strange now

12 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Harbor Island Yacht Club on the Cumberland River?

https://hiyc.org/history

Winner!!!

Great job!

The clubhouse in that picture is gone; years ago a caretaker for the club lived there and it was a very popular hangout during Laser regattas and frostbiting on Sunday mornings.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Winner!!!

Great job!

The clubhouse in that picture is gone; years ago a caretaker for the club lived there and it was a very popular hangout during Laser regattas and frostbiting on Sunday mornings.

Damn. I looked at an aerial view of that and rejected it because it looked so different. Should have looked at the history. Duh! Well done @Martin T!

This thread can be very very interesting.

Years ago I built thistles. One of them went to Kentucky. I can't remember the name of the owner but this club and quite a few others here point out that there is really so much inland lake and pond sailing in the U.S. I like how we are picking that up here and highlighting it.

3 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

This thread can be very very interesting.

Years ago I built thistles. One of them went to Kentucky. I can't remember the name of the owner but this club and quite a few others here point out that there is really so much inland lake and pond sailing in the U.S. I like how we are picking that up here and highlighting it.

Sure. And even in coastal states like NJ and MA you will still find a good number of inland lake and pond sailing clubs.

7 minutes ago, tillerman said:

Sure. And even in coastal states like NJ and MA you will still find a good number of inland lake and pond sailing clubs.

NJ you have lots of inland sailing. Hopatcong for instance. Connecticut lakes have some sailing--Dayville for instance has a 110 fleet of all places. Nice racing on Char­gogg­a­gogg­man­chaugg­a­gogg­chau­bun­a­gung­a­maugg too.

I grew up in Kentucky and sailed a Thistle on the Ohio River (not Louisville). There are a lot of reservoirs in the Southeast US - Corp of Engineers, Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and similar. On most of these can be found a sailing club.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Due to racing being cancelled because of high winds, I had tons of time on my hands to do research & stumbled upon Harbor Island.:D

Here's my next one...

kg2.JPG

River Thames east of London

7 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Almost looks like Indiana/Chicago

Yes, except we don't have all of those cool looking dinghies here. 

Some industrial place in the UK like Barry, Wales

3 hours ago, Martin T said:

Due to racing being cancelled because of high winds, I had tons of time on my hands to do research & stumbled upon Harbor Island.:D

Here's my next one...

kg2.JPG

King George Sailing Club

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Martin T said:

Yeah King George in Chingford.

Probably the nearest club to where I live but never sailed at!

Wouldn't let you in, eh?  Must be a busy place -- there's a bus stop named for it,  and a McDonald's within walking distance.